PDA

View Full Version : DHEA; The Most Underrated Supplement For Women?

Will Brink
05-27-2010, 01:08 PM
DHEA; The Most Underrated Supplement For Women? (http://www.brinkzone.com/articles/dhea-the-most-underrated-supplement-for-women)

by Will Brink

Have you ever noticed if a supplement, drug, etc is tried in men, and fails to work, it’s written off as being ineffective? Although improving, it’s well known that men have been the standard subjects in research, with the results often being applied to women as an afterthought. In recent years, that situation has improved and women are viewed as the physiologically distinct people they are from men, and studies looking at specific effects in women – using women as the test subjects – has grown dramatically. That’s the good news at least. The bad news is, there’s still plenty of research out there done on men, being applied to women, sometimes to the detriment of women. Obviously, men and women are not so different that a great deal of research fails to be perfectly applicable to both sexes, but the fact remains a great deal of prior research was done looking at men, and the results, good or bad, applied to women more as an after thought.

Such is the case with DHEA in my view…

What is it?

Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) has been around as a supplement for a long time, so I’m not going to go into great depth on in this article as there’s a ton of info out there already on DHEA and it’s fully covered in my ebooks. To quickly summarize: DHEA is a hormone produced primarily in the adrenal glands with minor amounts produced by the testes. It is found in both men and women. DHEA is the most abundant steroid hormone in the human body, and like all steroid hormones, ultimately comes from cholesterol. Most DHEA in the body is found as DHEA-sulphate (DHEA-S). DHEA is a major precursor to other steroid hormones. That’s the basic run down of DHEA.

From a strictly health perspective…

From a strictly health perspective – for those deficient due to aging or other causes – DHEA appears beneficial when used as a supplement for general health and well being in both sexes. It’s well established that DHEA levels fall off as we age, and the research on health uses of DHEA justifies using small amounts to counter this age related drop off or deficiencies from other causes. DHEA levels rise slowly till they peak at around 30 years of age, and decline steadily after age 35, with levels reduced by 70-80% by age 75. This effect is one of the most consistent and predictable changes in aging known with lower endogenous levels of DHEA/DHEA-sulfate found in advancing age strongly correlated with a myriad of health conditions best avoided.(1) For example, levels of DHEA and or DHEA-s in older men is strongly predictive of death by cardio vascular disease .(2)

Only blood tests will tell a person what their DHEA/DHEA-s levels are and where they are compared to others in their age group. As this is not an article focused on the potential health benefits of DHEA in deficient populations, that’s all I’m going to say on the matter here.

What about DHEA as a “muscle builder” in healthy young men?

DHEA often gets marketed as a “muscle builder” to men. As a muscle building supplement in young healthy men, DHEA is essentially worthless, and high intakes may in fact be counter–productive to gaining muscle as high doses also cause an increase in estrogen and the effects on testosterone are minimal. Studies have been conflicting in this area at best, and most “real world” users report no improvements in strength, muscle mass, etc from using DHEA. So, for healthy young men with normal DHEA levels, it’s a bust as a “muscle builder” due to the fact it converts to testosterone poorly and raises estrogens levels when used at high doses.

“What About Us Women Will?!”

OK, this finally brings us to women and DHEA after the long winded intro above, but finally, here we are! Although the research in men using DHEA has been unimpressive and contradictory, such is not the case with women. In women, research using DHEA is much more consistent and compelling and there appears to be some gender specific responses to DHEA use.(3)

As a supplement that can improve mood, libido, memory, and possibly alter body composition (i.e., increase muscle, improve bone density, and reduce bodyfat), DHEA appears to be a winner for women. Most of the research has been done in DHEA deficient populations, but data – and real world experience- suggests it’s also a benefit to women not medically deficient in this hormone. Although the benefits of this hormone to women comes predomently from its conversion to testosterone, it also appears some of the effects may be due to other mechanisms.(4). One recent study concluded:

“The use of DHEA therapy may also be discussed in women of any age when a trial of androgen supplementation seems justified because of the existence of an inhibited sexual desire or a sexual arousal disorder associated with documented androgen deficiency. The rather weak conversion of DHEA into testosterone protects from the risk of overdosing associated with testosterone preparations.”

Side Bar: Testosterone myths. Testosterone is often viewed as a “male” hormone. Although testosterone is the dominant androgen in men, it’s a hormone essential to the health and well being of both sexes, just as men produce and require some estrogen. How important can this hormone be to women? Karlis Ullis, MD, a faculty member of the UCLA School of Medicine, who treats women with hormone imbalances states:

“It is clear to me, both from my clinical practice and from research, that testosterone is vital for women to preserve their lean mass and to prevent obesity. Not only will testosterone help mobilize body fat and negate some of the fat storing effects of estrogen, it is also extremely effective in building lean mass in women – even at small doses. Hormone replacement therapy that only includes estrogen and progesterone but leaves out testosterone is a curse of many a women’s fat loss program. This is not only a concern for postmenopausal women. Young women should think twice about using birth control pills. Birth control pills elevate estrogen and progesterone levels while drastically lowering testosterone levels. This is reason why many women experience large gains in fat as well as a decreased libido when using birth control pills.”

In women with established adrenal insufficiency, studies find 50mg DHEA corrects low serum concentrations of DHEA/DHEA-S, and brings testosterone into the “normal” range. With one recent study finding

“DHEA treatment significantly improved overall wellbeing as well as scores for depression, anxiety, and their physical correlates. Furthermore, DHEA significantly increased both sexual interest and the level of satisfaction with sex.”(5)

Side Effects

Are there any side effects to DHEA use for women? Generally, they are easily dealt with by lowering the dose and “… are mostly mild and related to androgenic activity of DHEA in women and include increased sebum production, facial acne, and changes in hair status.” (6)

In my experience, the above is related to dose. The low-normal dose recommended (see below) rarely if ever causes side effects, but there’s no free lunch in biology, and adjusting any hormone up or down, comes with potential for side effects along with the benefits. The issue – as in the case with any drug, supplement, etc – is whether the benefits outweigh the risks/side effects. As the (potential) benefits of DHEA high, and the side effects at best mild to non existent, my opinion is the risk/benefit ratio is very much in favor of using DHEA, but everyone has to decide for themselves on that score.

Conclusions and Recommendations

Believe me, there’s a lot more research I could cover, but I hope the above covers the essential points regarding DHEA and it’s potential value to women specifically. So, let’s sum it all up: For women over 40, or those with diagnosed adrenal insufficiency (AI), DHEA could be of considerable value to general well being as well as libido, mood, etc. Typical doses are 25 – 50mg and working with a medical professional to fine tune dosages is recommended.

For “normal” women under 40, and or have not been diagnosed with AI, 25 – 50mg seems to do the trick, and starting at the lower dose and assessing over a few months is recommended. Most women will notice improvements in mood, libido, and possibly muscle mass and or bodyfat, at lower doses. The effect is increased at higher doses, but possible side effects mentioned above also become more common. At 50-100mg+, DHEA does act as a mild anabolic agent in women in my experience, and I have seen some fairly impressive results of increased muscle mass and decreased bodyfat at the higher doses, but it’s not dramatic compared to other anabolic hormones used by some female athletes. High doses of DHEA will also elevate estrogen levels, so that too should be kept in mind.

See you in the gym ladies!

Citations:

(1,3) Cameron DR, Braunstein GD. The use of dehydroepiandrosterone therapy in clinical practice. Treat Endocrinol. 2005;4(2):95-114.

(2) XV International Symposium on Atherosclerosis. (http://www.brinkzone.com/articles/xv-international-symposium-on-atherosclerosis/)

(http://www.brinkzone.com/articles/xv-international-symposium-on-atherosclerosis/)
(4) Buvat J. Androgen therapy with dehydroepiandrosterone..World J Urol. Nov;21(5):346-55. – 2003

(5) Arlt W, et al. DHEA replacement in women with adrenal insufficiency–pharmacokinetics, bioconversion and clinical effects on well-being, sexuality and cognition. Endocr Res. 2000 Nov;26(4):505-11.

(6) DHEA: why, when, and how much–DHEA replacement in adrenal insufficiency.Ann Endocrinol (Paris). 2007 Sep;68(4):268-73. Epub 2007 Aug 8.

Will Brink
07-20-2010, 01:26 PM
136 views, and no comments. Hmmmm.

GENESIS
07-20-2010, 01:38 PM
I sell this to women all the time. Never a bad review.

Will Brink
07-20-2010, 05:28 PM
I sell this to women all the time. Never a bad review.

Interesting, thanx.

Zero Gravity
08-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Well, I have a (late) comment/observation.

I came here hoping to find information as to why this is a banned substance in some orgs. I was looking to do a small local show as a practice run for my first figure competition but they seem to have copy/pasted the INBF banned substance list. :mad:

I'm female, 44. I've never been officially diagnosed with AI but I do have many of the symptoms. I see a chiropractor who suggested a try a supplement called Symphora - mega Vitamin D, Folate, B12 and 50g of DHEA. I've been taking it for 5 weeks. I didn't notice anything at first aside from maybe a little less absent mindedness. I swear I spend half my life trying to remember what it is I walked into a room to do!

It wasn't until I missed taking it for 3 days that I noticed I was (once again) waking up every 20 minutes or so during the night oh yeah and napping pretty much daily which sucks.

I dieted down to about 14% last year, just to see if I could do it. The results were kinda scary - I looked like a skeleton with veins.

Things seem to be going a bit better this time around in terms of keeping what little muscle I do have. Then again I'm still kinda fat so time will tell!!! I do know that my scale weight didn't budge for four weeks but my thigh caliper readings kept moving in the right direction. I'll take it!!

I don't know if it's the supplement or differences in my diet & training this time but I don't care if they ban this stuff in every org because in terms of being able to function like a normal human being, the sleeping thing is priceless to me!!!

Gymrat65
08-30-2010, 01:06 PM
My wife is taking 25mg twice a day and notices less fatigue and better sleep, still waiting for the libido to kick in.
is it safe to go above 50mg a day? what do you recommended.

Will Brink
10-25-2010, 12:38 PM
My wife is taking 25mg twice a day and notices less fatigue and better sleep, still waiting for the libido to kick in.

Has she had blood work? I would recommend that first before going to 50mg, although 50mg is unlikely to do her any harm, it's probably above HRT levels.

PFEPerformance
10-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Are you referencing DHEA that can be purchased online via most supplement sites or is there a pharm grade that requires a script?

If via supplement sites - is there a better quality/brand out there that you reccomend?

Sandpig
10-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Will, what about for older guys? Still worthless for muscle building?

Will Brink
10-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Are you referencing DHEA that can be purchased online via most supplement sites or is there a pharm grade that requires a script?

If via supplement sites - is there a better quality/brand out there that you reccomend?

In the US, DHEA is OTC. No scripts needed. Can;t speak for other countries...I generally get mine from the Life Extension Foundation as I know there QC (having done consulting work for the company, writing for their mag, etc) is very high.

Will Brink
10-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Will, what about for older guys? Still worthless for muscle building?

As a supplement for general health/well being, a must in my view for older men. As an actual anabolic agent, same comments as for young guys, not a worthy anabolic.

Sandpig
10-27-2010, 06:30 AM
As a supplement for general health/well being, a must in my view for older men. As an actual anabolic agent, same comments as for young guys, not a worthy anabolic.

Thanks.

Will Brink
10-27-2010, 09:27 AM
Thanks.

As mentioned above:

"From a strictly health perspective – for those deficient due to aging or other causes – DHEA appears beneficial when used as a supplement for general health and well being in both sexes. It’s well established that DHEA levels fall off as we age, and the research on health uses of DHEA justifies using small amounts to counter this age related drop off or deficiencies from other causes. DHEA levels rise slowly till they peak at around 30 years of age, and decline steadily after age 35, with levels reduced by 70-80% by age 75. This effect is one of the most consistent and predictable changes in aging known with lower endogenous levels of DHEA/DHEA-sulfate found in advancing age strongly correlated with a myriad of health conditions best avoided.(1) For example, levels of DHEA and or DHEA-s in older men is strongly predictive of death by cardio vascular disease .(2)"

PFEPerformance
10-27-2010, 12:47 PM
As a FEMALE - would it be counterproductive and/or increase the potential for sides if taking DHEA along with a series of Anavar?

Will Brink
10-27-2010, 12:54 PM
As a FEMALE - would it be counterproductive and/or increase the potential for sides if taking DHEA along with a series of Anavar?

I don't believe so no, but there's no data I'm aware of combining the two.

LookImDancinCrazy!
10-27-2010, 08:07 PM
I'm looking at parenteral DHEA 50mg/ml right now as an add to my Ipamorelin/Mod GRF (1-29) cycle. I did very well on a transdermal product last year (72mg per dose) and probably less than half of that ended up bioavailable. Assuming all of a parenteral dose would be bioavailable, this should last me a while.

IME, DHEA is more androgenic than anabolic. Only slight LBM gains, despite a sufficient caloric surplus, but pronounced strength gains, gonzo sex drive, et al.

LookImDancinCrazy!
10-27-2010, 08:11 PM

I'll bet. DHEA suppresses cortisol extremely well and cortisol is a major player in chronic insomnia.

If you're concerned about the androgenic effect she could try 7-keto DHEA.

Will Brink
10-28-2010, 08:10 AM
I'll bet. DHEA suppresses cortisol extremely well and cortisol is a major player in chronic insomnia.

If you're concerned about the androgenic effect she could try 7-keto DHEA.

Then she will get none of the effects mentioned above for DHEA.

Will Brink
10-28-2010, 08:13 AM
IME, DHEA is more androgenic than anabolic. .

The androgenic or anabolic effects would be coming from it's conversion to T, (see cites and article above) so it's androgenic effects are going to be that of T.

Will Brink
11-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Another possible benefit of DHEA specific to women, fertility. That's potentially huge for women considering how big the fertility business is...If confirmed via additional studies, would be another potential benefit of DHEA specific to women.

Increasing Fertility Threefold With DHEA?

ScienceDaily (July 1, 2010) — According to the American Pregnancy Association, six million women a year deal with infertility. Now, a Tel Aviv University study is giving new hope to women who want to conceive -- in the form of a pill they can find on their drugstore shelves right now.

Prof. Adrian Shulman of Tel Aviv University's Sackler Faculty of Medicine and the Meir Medical Center has found a statistical connection between the over-the-counter vitamin supplement DHEA, used to counter the effects of aging, and successful pregnancy rates in women undergoing treatment for infertility.

In the first controlled study on the effects of the supplement, Prof. Shulman found that women being treated for infertility who also received supplements of DHEA were three times more likely to conceive than women being treated without the additional drug. The results were recently published in AYALA, the journal of the Israeli Fertility Association.

A natural supplement to fertility treatments

After hearing anecdotal evidence from his patients and the medical community on the benefits of combining fertility treatments with DHEA, a supplement marketed as an anti-aging drug around the world, Prof. Shulman decided to put this old wives' tale to the statistical test.

He and his fellow researchers conducted a study in which a control group of women received treatment for poor ovulation, and another group received the same treatment with the addition of the DHEA supplement. The latter group took 75mg of the supplement daily for 40 days before starting fertility treatments, and continued for up to five months.

Not only were women who combined infertility treatment with DHEA more likely to conceive, the researchers discovered, they were also more likely to experience a healthy pregnancy and delivery.

"In the DHEA group, there was a 23% live birth rate as opposed to a 4% rate in the control group," explains Shulman. "More than that, of the pregnancies in the DHEA group, all but one ended in healthy deliveries."

Making grade-A eggs?

Shulman believes that women who are finding little success with their current fertility treatments could look to DHEA to improve their chances of conceiving. "We recommend that women try this DHEA treatment, in conjunction with fertility treatments, for four to five months," says Prof. Shulman. It could also be used as a regular "vitamin" for women who have already conceived and are pregnant, but more research would need to be done on the compound to determine its effects, says Prof. Shulman.

DHEA, for 5-Dehydroepiandrosterone (5-DHEA), is a naturally-occurring steroid found in the brain, which plays an important biological role in humans and other mammals. Produced in the adrenal glands, it is also synthesized in the brain. The pharmaceutical version of this molecule is known as Prastera, Prasterone, Fidelin and Fluasterone, and identical generics are widely available over the counter in the United States without a prescription. Women interested in using DHEA to conceive, however, should consult their practitioner first, suggests Prof. Shulman, a gynecologist and director of the IVF Unit of the Obstetric and Gynecology Department at Meir Medical Center.

While studies on the effects of DHEA are far from complete -- his test group only included around 20 women -- Prof. Shulman hopes that further research will unlock the secrets of why the supplement aids in successful conception in women with an otherwise poor response to fertility treatments. "We need to look into what the drug actually does to make the body more fertile," he says. "It could be affecting components such as the quality of the eggs or the follicles."

Will Brink
12-21-2011, 01:40 PM
I have written in the past that DHEA may have unique benefits to women (article above...) and this is additional support for that conclusion. And NO, it's not just for women with menopause...

Hormone Might Ease Menopause, Boost Women's Sex Life: Study

TUESDAY, Dec. 20 (HealthDay News)

-- A hormone called DHEA appears to help ease women's menopausal symptoms and also improve their sex life, a small, new study says.

This is the first evidence that low doses of DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone), a hormone secreted by the adrenal glands, can help sexual function as well as menopausal symptoms, according to the researchers at the University of Pisa in Italy.

The study included 48 postmenopausal women who'd experienced troubling symptoms for a year. They were divided into four groups: 12 took vitamin D and calcium to prevent osteoporosis; 12 took a low dose of DHEA; 12 were given standard hormone replacement therapy (HRT) of estrogen plus progesterone; and 12 took tibolone, a synthetic steroid.

The women's menopausal symptoms and levels of sexual interest and activity were monitored for a year.

At the end of that time, all the women receiving the hormone replacements showed improvements in menopausal symptoms, but there was no significant improvement among those taking vitamin D and calcium.

The study also found that women taking DHEA had a statistically significant increase in sexual interest and activity, with similar results for women in the HRT group. Sexual activity was also higher among the women taking tiboline, but the increase was not statistically significant.

The findings, published in the December issue of the journal Climacteric, indicate the need for larger clinical trials to confirm the benefits of DHEA in women after menopause.

"This is the first time that a controlled trial has shown that low doses of the hormone DHEA may be able to help women deal better with menopausal symptoms, as well as helping their sex life. The work shows that DHEA has potential, especially for those women who may have problems in taking more conventional HRT. But this is a small study, a proof of concept. What we need to do now is to look at a larger study, to confirm that these initial results are valid," study leader Professor Andrea Genazzani said in an International Menopause Society news release.

"This is an interesting result, although we must bear in mind that this is a pilot study with a small sample. Nevertheless, it does indicate that DHEA has potential as a therapy to help women deal with the physical discomfort of the menopause, as well as helping them sexually," journal co-editor Dr. Anna Fenton said in the release.

"We can't yet say that this study means that DHEA is a viable alternative to HRT, but what we can say is that we should be looking to do larger studies to confirm these initial results," she added.

More information

The U.S. government's Office of Women's Health has more about menopause symptom relief and treatment