PDA

View Full Version : Advice/feedback on mass building program

Wendy
06-01-2010, 12:19 PM
I have been trying to add some much need muscle to my frame for BB and it has been a slow process. I love doing 5x5 style programs off season for 6wks before starting split training and have made up a new program but think I might be over zealous in my quest for muscle. Feed back, critique, suggestions would be much appreciated. I have run through one week already and it takes me just over an hr to complete. It kicked my ass but I did enjoy it.

Monday
Squat 5x5
Bent over row 5x5 overhand grip
Flat Bench 5x5
bicep curls and tricep push downs 3x12

Wednesday
Front squat 5x5
Deadlift 5x5
clean and press 5x5
Arnold DB press and side laterals 3x12

Friday
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Bent over row 5x5
pull ups and chest dips 3x12 (or failure which usually comes first) :)

Suzanne
06-01-2010, 01:00 PM
I believe for best results it is best to vary the WO i never to same WO week to week. I vary rep range, sets, exercises, supersets, straight sets

i believe intensity is the most important key!!

Personally i think 5 reps lends itself more to strength than muscle growth. I usualky do reps no less than 6-8 (rarely less to try to hit new wt luke on rack pulls) and upto 15,20 and even 50-100 rep sets

but number one key is nutrition must be inline

Suzanne
06-01-2010, 01:29 PM
I also have always trained 5-6 days a week

bodypaarts that are lagging i hit twice a week or once hit hard and second day just couple exercises to get reaally good pump fill with blood and stretch facsia

Wendy
06-01-2010, 01:48 PM
thanks so much Suzanne! Wow - 100 reps! What would you recommend for Delts - they are my weakest area?

sassy69
06-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Wendy - when you do your 5x5 programs, are you scheduling in periodization for some recovery time?

sassy69
06-01-2010, 02:17 PM
thanks so much Suzanne! Wow - 100 reps! What would you recommend for Delts - they are my weakest area?

You might take a peek at this routine - this lady has some solid stuff!

http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2008/11/15/the-shoulders-of-giants/

Suzanne
06-01-2010, 02:53 PM

Have a look at my journal all my WOs are in there

i have grown a lot in last couple years. My pictures showing april of 2007, 2008,2009 & 2010 comparison are in there

HammerStrength12
06-01-2010, 03:12 PM
I have been trying to add some much need muscle to my frame for BB and it has been a slow process. I love doing 5x5 style programs off season for 6wks before starting split training and have made up a new program but think I might be over zealous in my quest for muscle. Feed back, critique, suggestions would be much appreciated. I have run through one week already and it takes me just over an hr to complete. It kicked my ass but I did enjoy it.

Monday
Squat 5x5
Bent over row 5x5 overhand grip
Flat Bench 5x5
bicep curls and tricep push downs 3x12

Wednesday
Front squat 5x5
Deadlift 5x5
clean and press 5x5
Arnold DB press and side laterals 3x12

Friday
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Bent over row 5x5
pull ups and chest dips 3x12 (or failure which usually comes first) :)

I like this, 5x5 is what I always used for college kids just starting out who were serious about getting big. Always got great results.

Only "tips" (just my opinions, ultimately you'll have to decide for yourself what is best for you) are since the squat is your leg exercise, make sure your Monday and Friday squats are done powerlifting style in order to not neglect the hamstrings. The front squat is one of my favorite exercises out there, but if done properly, it's purely quad and glute exercise(this is why its SO important to hit full depth). If you don't sit back that far on the back squats, maybe consider throwing some RDLs into the mix.

Pullups and dips - don't be afraid to throw on a belt and put some weight on there! Once you can do 12+, weighted dips and pullups will be much more effective for building up your arms.

Program looks great, good luck with it :)

Wendy
06-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Wendy - when you do your 5x5 programs, are you scheduling in periodization for some recovery time?

I usually spend 6 or 7weeks on a 5x5 program and take a week off and then head into split training 5x/week for prep.

Wendy
06-01-2010, 04:18 PM
You might take a peek at this routine - this lady has some solid stuff!

http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2008/11/15/the-shoulders-of-giants/

thanks I am going to take a close look at this! I need DELTS!

Wendy
06-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Have a look at my journal all my WOs are in there

i have grown a lot in last couple years. My pictures showing april of 2007, 2008,2009 & 2010 comparison are in there

I follow your journal quite closely Suzanne so I know how much you have grown and I do use some of your workouts when I am training! (hope ya don't mind :) )

Wendy
06-01-2010, 04:23 PM
I like this, 5x5 is what I always used for college kids just starting out who were serious about getting big. Always got great results.

Only "tips" (just my opinions, ultimately you'll have to decide for yourself what is best for you) are since the squat is your leg exercise, make sure your Monday and Friday squats are done powerlifting style in order to not neglect the hamstrings. The front squat is one of my favorite exercises out there, but if done properly, it's purely quad and glute exercise(this is why its SO important to hit full depth). If you don't sit back that far on the back squats, maybe consider throwing some RDLs into the mix.

Pullups and dips - don't be afraid to throw on a belt and put some weight on there! Once you can do 12+, weighted dips and pullups will be much more effective for building up your arms.

Program looks great, good luck with it :)

Thanks for the advice!

I have done wted dips in the past but as for wted pullups I struggle to get 10 with my own BW but I am working on it! I'm all for getting some guns!

Suzanne
06-01-2010, 04:39 PM
I follow your journal quite closely Suzanne so I know how much you have grown and I do use some of your workouts when I am training! (hope ya don't mind :) )

Not at all its part of why i share them

HammerStrength12
06-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the advice!

I have done wted dips in the past but as for wted pullups I struggle to get 10 with my own BW but I am working on it! I'm all for getting some guns!

Not a problem! I've always been a big believer that pullups/dips are great for arm size.

Feel free to comment on the workouts in my weighted dips thread lol

tammyp
06-02-2010, 01:20 PM
i had good luck this off season with fst 7 training. loved it...

Wendy
06-02-2010, 08:38 PM
i had good luck this off season with fst 7 training. loved it...

Thanks Tammy. I have looked at fst 7 - it looks tough but I am willing to try anything to add some size. I am tiny on stage:(

powergirl
06-03-2010, 12:14 AM
I believe for best results it is best to vary the WO i never to same WO week to week. I vary rep range, sets, exercises, supersets, straight sets

i believe intensity is the most important key!!

Personally i think 5 reps lends itself more to strength than muscle growth. I usualky do reps no less than 6-8 (rarely less to try to hit new wt luke on rack pulls) and upto 15,20 and even 50-100 rep sets

but number one key is nutrition must be inline

ditto from me as well...

HammerStrength12
06-03-2010, 11:19 AM
ditto from me as well...

Wendy - I don't know about this, could be true, but I think you should at least give the programs 2 months before you come to that conclusion. I'll admit, I've never trained female clients with this program, but I think you'll be very happy with your results.

Wendy
06-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Wendy - I don't know about this, could be true, but I think you should at least give the programs 2 months before you come to that conclusion. I'll admit, I've never trained female clients with this program, but I think you'll be very happy with your results.

Thanks, I am going to continue with my program with a few tweaks added from the advice I've received. I love powerlifting style programs but I think I may increase my reps a bit...........I just competed with two girls who both had amazing physiques and they were both powerlifters. Amazing shoulders!

Melissa
06-03-2010, 09:34 PM
I used the 5x5 program last offseason when I was making my transition from figure to bodybuilding. I absolutely LOVED it. I really enjoyed the power and strength that came from the program. Even though I was still tiny on stage, I feel like it helped make a huge transformation in my physique.

But Sassy's right, make sure you periodize the training and incorporate recovery time. I made the mistake of not doing that last year and now I'm paying for it with some nagging injuries that I just can't seem to get rid of.

tammyp
06-04-2010, 08:22 AM
you made some great improvements mellisa!

i used 5x5 back in 06 in prep for jr nationals. i think constant change is good, no matter what your goal. not just for improved development but to keep from getting bored.

Melissa
06-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks, Tammy....means a lot coming from you!

I'm a big fan of training with heavier weights and lower reps. But it does take a toll on you physically, and even mentally too. This year, I completely revamped my training and got away from the 5x5. As Tammy mentioned, more than anything, it helped to keep things from getting boring. I followed a program similar to Power-Rep Range-Shock and have loved that, too, and I saw some great results. Hmmm, guess I kinda like just about anything training-related.:dunno:

Wendy
06-05-2010, 07:46 AM
Thanks for all the input! I have received some really good tips from everyone here. Hopefully I will grow some shoulders (along with everything else) Time + Effort=muscles :)