PDA

View Full Version : Beginning PL (very basic)

tjoe
02-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Basics are best ESPECIALLY when starting out. At this point in the game, you don't need to worry about weak points or dynamic or max effort days etc. At the very basic level you don't know what weaknesses you have yet.

This program worked well for me back in the day.
You will train on Mon, Wed and Fri.
EACH day you will Squat, Bnech AND Deadlift!
However, you will only train "hard" on one move each day.
The other 2 moves will be at 60% of your current 1rm.

So:
Monday
Squat - work up to a heavy single
Bench - 60% of current 1rm
Deadlift - 60% of current 1rm

Wednesday
Squat - 60%
Bench - work up to a heavy single
Deadlift - 60%

Friday
Squat - 60%
Bench - 60%
Deadlift - work up to a heavy single

60% sets - obviously do a few warm ups first but once you hit 60% do 5 sets of triples and just work on FORM and then speed with FORM. These sets are just to reinforce the "groove" of each movement.

Keep trying to bump up your singles and be sure to re adjust your 60% sets every time you hit new 1RMs.

Once you start hitting some plateaus on this routine, then you should have a pretty good idea on what your weaknesses may be. Then it is time to switch to a more elaborate plan with a more "normal" split and some specific movements or techniques to address your weak points.

This is VERY basic and very simple. All that is required is to stay consistant with training, diet and rest.

Some additional tips for each move:
Squat - be sure they are DEEP!! This is PL people, you don't want reds for a shallow squat!
Bench - again if you plan on competing, pause your reps! It can be a B*tch if you are not used to it.
Deads - deload every rep on the floor! NO touch and go.

Thats about as basic as it gets... and basic works.

robert da strongman
02-10-2009, 09:01 PM
a very nice 3x3!!

tjoe
02-10-2009, 09:06 PM
I really liked this one back in the day. I actually would like to do it again but I have specific things that need work before my comp in May... otherwise I would be all over it again just for it's simplicity and a bit of change.

robert da strongman
02-10-2009, 09:08 PM
i could handle simple for a bit. after april i think....

Evighet
02-13-2009, 05:37 AM
Interesting enough to give it a try. Not unlike the basic program I am following now where the 3 big, compound movements are in total focus. 1 each day, with cable and dumbells as follow-up if I feel compelled. Wich I usually do not, lol.

tjoe
02-13-2009, 09:09 AM
give it a try. train hard, rest, eat and thats really all there is to it. Just keep trying to push up the singles and adjust the 60% after that. let us know if you do it and how it works for you. when you stall out, come let us know.