PDA

View Full Version : Former WWE wrestler Andrew "Test" Martin found dead

buckimscl
03-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Andrew "Test" Martin, a World Wrestling Entertainment star from earlier this decade, was found dead in his Tampa, Fla., apartment Friday night. He was 33 years old.

The cause of death wasn't immediately known, the Tampa Tribune reported.

Martin worked for WWE from 1998 to 2004 and 2006 to 2007. Martin was thrust into a prominent position from the onset because of his size and muscularity, with the "Test" nickname being short for "testosterone."
The 6-foot-6, 280-pound Martin held numerous WWE titles but was best known for his storyline "romances" with Stephanie McMahon (the daughter of promotion owner Vince McMahon) and Stacy Keibler. Martin and Keibler, now an actress who appeared on Dancing With the Stars, had an off-screen relationship as well until splitting several years ago.
Martin's second WWE stint was bumpy. While he received a major push on WWE's Extreme Championship Wrestling telecasts on Sci-Fi Network, Martin failed a drug test and was suspended under the promotion's wellness policy in February 2007. Shortly thereafter, Martin requested and received his WWE release.
Martin then faded in and out of the wrestling business, recently completing an overseas tour. He was arrested on a DUI charge near his Tampa home in April 2008.
Martin joins a long list of young wrestlers who prematurely died, most from causes stemming from substance-abuse. Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Mike "Crash Holly" Lockwood and Bryan "Crush" Adams are among Martin's WWE contemporaries who have passed away. None reached the age of 45

TPT
03-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Andrew "Test" Martin, a World Wrestling Entertainment star from earlier this decade, was found dead in his Tampa, Fla., apartment Friday night. He was 33 years old.

The cause of death wasn't immediately known, the Tampa Tribune reported.

Martin worked for WWE from 1998 to 2004 and 2006 to 2007. Martin was thrust into a prominent position from the onset because of his size and muscularity, with the "Test" nickname being short for "testosterone."
The 6-foot-6, 280-pound Martin held numerous WWE titles but was best known for his storyline "romances" with Stephanie McMahon (the daughter of promotion owner Vince McMahon) and Stacy Keibler. Martin and Keibler, now an actress who appeared on Dancing With the Stars, had an off-screen relationship as well until splitting several years ago.
Martin's second WWE stint was bumpy. While he received a major push on WWE's Extreme Championship Wrestling telecasts on Sci-Fi Network, Martin failed a drug test and was suspended under the promotion's wellness policy in February 2007. Shortly thereafter, Martin requested and received his WWE release.
Martin then faded in and out of the wrestling business, recently completing an overseas tour. He was arrested on a DUI charge near his Tampa home in April 2008.
Martin joins a long list of young wrestlers who prematurely died, most from causes stemming from substance-abuse. Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Mike "Crash Holly" Lockwood and Bryan "Crush" Adams are among Martin's WWE contemporaries who have passed away. None reached the age of 45

damn. sad stuff. he had a lot of potential in wrestling with his prototypical look,

MusclesMarinara
03-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Andrew "Test" Martin was found dead at 33 years old in his condo in Tampa.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2009/03/14/8748976.html

Big Tav
03-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Wow. Real shame.

Gaoshang Xiongshou
03-14-2009, 12:19 PM
Very sad...

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2009/03/14/8748976.html

Mr X
03-14-2009, 12:27 PM
dam thats a fucking shock. another wrestlers passes away. RIP Andrew.

~gymdiva~
03-14-2009, 12:28 PM
OMG!!! :eek:

RudeMuscle
03-14-2009, 12:34 PM
that sux

~gymdiva~
03-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Andrew "Test" Martin found dead
By GREG OLIVER - Producer, SLAM! Wrestling

Former WWE star Andrew "Test" Martin has died at his condo in Tampa Bay, Florida. He was 33 years old.

The Tampa Police Department confirmed the death in the condo, at 725 Harbour Place Drive. According to a release by the police, officials responded after a "neighbor reported that she could see into his apartment through a window and that Mr. Martin appeared motionless for several hours.

"Officers entered the apartment and discovered Mr. Martin to be deceased. At this time there is no indication of foul play. The deceased was transported to the Medical Examiners Office for an autopsy to determine the cause of death. The date of the autopsy is undetermined at this time. The next of kin has been notified of the death."

Born on March 17, 1975 in Whitby, Ontario, Andrew James Robert Patrick Martin was a big wrestling fan. He worked as a bouncer in various Toronto bars, and learned that after shows at SkyDome, WWE stars would go to Planet Hollywood. His size and demeanor allowed him access to the VIP room, and he met Bret Hart and WWE Canadian president Carl De Marco there.

"To make a long story short, [Hart] offered to train me," explained Martin to SLAM! Wrestling in Cherry Hill, New Jersey at the NWA 50th Anniversary show in 1998. "Two weeks later I quit both my jobs, went down for eight months. He and Leo Burke trained myself and a few other Canadian guys -- Glenn Kulka, Adam Copeland [Edge] was there, Jay Reso [Christian]. The four of us trained together and it was a good experience. He was very good to me."

The six-foot-six, 320-pound Martin spent very little time on the indy circuit -- primarily around the Canadian prairies as T.J. Thunder and Martin Kane -- before landing a WWE deal.

After a stint furthering his learning at Dory Funk Jr.'s Funking Dojo, Martin first appeared on Sunday Night Heat as a roadie for Motley Crue on October 25, 1998. Up next would be serving as a bodyguard to The Rock and the rest of Vince McMahon's "Corporation."

Martin's biggest angle was his courtship and almost marriage to Stephanie McMahon, only to be thwarted at the altar by Triple H, who had already married her. Instead of a logical, heated feud against Triple H, Test was pushed aside and never truly landed a role as high profile again in the company.

His next big break came in the tag team T&A, as "Test", teaming with Albert (now Giant Bernard in Japan, real name Matt Bloom) with fellow Torontonian Trish Stratus as their manager. They never ascended to the top of the tag team ranks, but were a solid pairing.

February 2007 was Martin's last appearance for WWE; he was released after failing a drug test. Martin made a few appearances for TNA as "The Punisher" Andrew Martin, but was never hired under contract.

During his WWE days, Martin won numerous titles, including the Intercontinental, Hardcore and European singles belts, and WWF and WCW tag team titles with Booker T.

He announced publicly that he was retiring from pro wrestling in December 2007 on his MySpace site, but he made occasional appearances, particularly overseas up until a month ago.

"They say nobody retires from wrestling. I can't tell you how much I hate to hear guys say 'it's all I know' and keep working long after they should and die or be permanently [sic] disabled," Martin wrote on MySpace. "You have to come to terms when you ask yourself what is your health worth? To me? You can't put a price on it! So what are you wrestling for? One man's greed so he might throw you a bone? I loved wrestling, it was good to me. I'm still young, I'm in the shape of my life I've got some money tucked away. I never got into wrestling to be rich and famous."

He also pontificated on the reasons he never became a bigger star in the same post.

"I was told my problem was I never 'kissed enough ass.' As we all know wrestling is not real and it is very political backstage and as a man I could never bring myself to consort with the people that I didn't care for even if that meant making less money and not getting a world title. The world title is not real but my dignity was and I feel I never compromised it. I said 'no' to Vince a few times which I was told is unheard of and the kiss of death. I personally don't have bad things to say about Vince. I can appreciate what he's done! I wonder what it's like to have everyone who works for you tell you yes and your ideas are great because they are terrified about losing their job. I will never know nor do I want to."

In April 2007, the Maryland State Athletic Commission wouldn't allow Test to wrestle in a match for Maryland Championship Wrestling.

In April 2008, Martin was arrested for Driving Under the Influence of alcohol and driving with a suspended license in Tampa, Florida one year ago. He was brought to the Land O’ Lakes Jail where he posted $500 bail.

Away from the ring, Martin was well known for dating WWE "divas" Stacy Keibler and Kelly Kelly (Barbie Blank).

Martin was four days shy of his 34th birthday.

Further details will be forthcoming on his passing and funeral arrangements.

Zetawill
03-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Wow....I'm sure the only "drug" that will be focused on are the 'roids. So sad to loose someone so young.

Sad that a guy can have lines of coke and meth laying all around and they'll blame his roid use.......you know it is coming.

jacshelb
03-14-2009, 12:42 PM
That's crazy. I'm sorry to hear this.

IanMazia
03-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Wow, that is really sad and tragic that another young wrestler passes away. I agree with Zetawill, you know the media is going to focus all of their attention on steriods even though the toxicology reports will probably state otherwise. Additionally, you know the WWE will probably been scrutinzed even further (if that is at all possible) because of Test's former association with them.

ROTFLMAO
03-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Wow that sucks, poor guy and his family.

thachozenonebx
03-14-2009, 01:27 PM
WOW!
thats a damn shame...i remember him...he came back to ECW pretty swole.
RIP Test

~gymdiva~
03-14-2009, 01:29 PM
I just merged three threads together on the topic of his passing which is why some posts look out of order...

EDIT: make that four!

Dee
03-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Very unfortunate....

In wrestling more than anything, even though its not a "sport", the lifestyle itself just drains you.....so many of these guys pass away so young.

MusclesMarinara
03-14-2009, 02:33 PM
it doesnt help with the nickname "Test" either, but of course the main focus will be steroids. the media will spin any young athlete related death on steroids. it has really taken its toll on professional wrestling. when i was younger, wrestling was probably as popular as football and baseball

TPT
03-14-2009, 03:08 PM
I just merged three threads together on the topic of his passing which is why some posts look out of order...

thank you.

jjorr
03-14-2009, 06:46 PM
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/specialevent/wrestling/amartin.jpg
AP-CP

TAMPA, Fla. — A Canadian-born pro wrestler has been found dead in his Tampa, Florida home.

Police say Andrew Martin, who was also known as "Test" and "The Punisher," died at the age of 33.

Police say a neighbour reported she could see into his apartment window and that Martin appeared motionless for several hours.

Police say there was no indication of foul play.

Martin, who is billed as six-foot-six and 280 pounds, was originally trained by famed Canadian wrestler Bret Hart.

Martin was born in Whitby, Ontario and was professionally billed out of Toronto.

He went by other ring names like "Martin Kane" and "T-J Thunder."

Police say they are awaiting autopsy results.

RIP Andrew

red barraca
03-14-2009, 07:23 PM
aaaaaahhhhh shit!next thing the media is going to blame steroids

TrueMan
03-14-2009, 07:30 PM
"Police say a neighbour reported she could see into his apartment window and that Martin appeared motionless for several hours."

thats the spooky part

BigJD69
03-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Real smart neighbor, prob. could of saved his life!!!

Swede
03-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Real smart neighbor, prob. could of saved his life!!!

explain yourself,
you gonna call the police everytime someone falls asleep?!?!?!?
(this guy didnt fall alseep but you get my point)

Klaus Urine
03-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Real smart neighbor, prob. could of saved his life!!!Did he deserve to have his life saved?

M. Vince Goodrum
03-14-2009, 08:08 PM
He's not going to be the last one neither.

And when you sleep, you move around a bit. Obviously, if you are completely motionless with no raising of the chest...you're most likely dead

danger
03-14-2009, 08:58 PM
dont blame the neighbor!

Legend
03-14-2009, 09:49 PM

What???...

Not the last one??...:confused:

What is this supposed to mean?

Canuck_Muscle
03-14-2009, 09:52 PM
Man that is fucked up. I used to watch that guy wrestle back in the day. What a shame. R.I.P.

anthony1992
03-14-2009, 10:18 PM
sad R.I.P.

DECABEATZ
03-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Damn another wrestler r.i.p

Aaron Singerman
03-14-2009, 11:18 PM
The stats on how many wrestlers die before the age of 50 is staggering... 90 and counting...

Klaus Urine
03-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Wrestling sucks so who cares.

LANCE ADAM
03-14-2009, 11:56 PM
he was on alot of gas back in the day, yes, but he was heavy on other drugs too, mostly painkillers. not emotionally stable and had a bad attitude backstage.
addiction kills

~gymdiva~
03-15-2009, 01:20 AM
Barbie Blank (Kelly Kelly) who had dated Andrew Martin posted the following on her myspace site:

"You were my world my best friend the one i always ran to u were always there for me..what happened to our plan...Why did god take u away from me...my heart is always with u and u only..I know your in heaven watching over me now my angel..."

antonbrn
03-15-2009, 01:22 AM
RIP Test, may you rest in peace.
He was a great entertainer and made a lot of fans happy.

~gymdiva~
03-15-2009, 01:24 AM
WWE's official statement:

"World Wrestling Entertainment
has been made aware of the passing of Andrew Martin. The WWE extends its deepest condolences to the Martin family. Mr. Martin was under contract with WWE at various time periods and performed under the name 'Test.' He last performed for the WWE in February 2007."

~gymdiva~
03-15-2009, 01:29 AM
straight from JR'S BLOG: (http://www.jrsbarbq.com/blog/jr-remembers-andrew-test-martin-who-was-found-dead-friday-evening)

Late last night I received word that Andrew Martin aka Test had been found dead in his apartment/condo in the Tampa, Florida area. Andrew would have been 34 years of age this Tuesday.

I hired Andrew in the same class with his other fellow Canadians Edge and Christian in the late 90's in an outstanding group of young talent whose advanced training was over seen by future WWE Hall of Famer Dory Funk and by Tom Prichard.

Andrew left WWE over two years ago and had wrestled off and on, briefly in TNA, and also on the independent circuit primarily on international tours. I spoke at length with Andrew, as did my wife, last year in Orlando at Wrestlemania 24 and he seemed very happy and looked to be healthy and in great physical condition. He spoke of his real estate endeavors and the fact that he was strongly considering going back to school and becoming accredited as a physical therapist. Andrew had done well in WWE, saved his money, made some good investments, and told me he only wanted to wrestle when "he wanted to" which the randomly scheduled international tours would allow him to do. He did not express interest in the American indy scene and was genuinely excited about the prospects of the aforementioned physical therapy career.

Andrew had always told me that he never wanted to wrestle past the age of 35 which was why he "listened to the lectures" as he told me with a smile that sunny day in Orlando in WWE's headquarter hotel. I honestly had never seen him happier.

Late last summer, reacting on the suggestion of others, WWE reached out to Andrew to ask if he needed some help handling some alleged personal issues that he was rumored to have been experiencing. Andrew had been gone from WWE for over two years but had remained friends with many still associated with WWE. The rumors of Andrew's issues were true and he was afforded the opportunity by WWE to attend The Hanley Center Rehabilitation facility in West Palm Beach, Florida for several weeks beginning in August of 2008. Andrew successfully completed the WWE funded program and was highly regarded by the Hanley Center with being such an asset to them after completing the program of which Andrew took seriously, according to the facility. Since being released from the facility after successfully completing the program, Andrew had been doing well in his 12 Step AA program and was in contact with WWE with regular phone calls. Ironically, Friday was the day for his regularly scheduled "touching base" but when called his voice mail box was full.

I was not aware that Andrew was having problems and did not know of is rehab stint until recently. Test, a name provided Martin after he portrayed a security person who tested the band Motley Crue's mic with the obligatory, 'test...test...test," always seemed to be a bright young man who knew what he wanted in life and was seemingly looking forward to his future and getting an education in physical therapy.

It is comforting to know that Andrew was receiving support from WWE and it was also encouraging to know that he was seemingly on the road to recovery in the past several months. The exact cause of Andrew's death won't be determined for a few days after the results of an autopsy have been released.

I will remember this young man as a bright, intelligent individual and am thankful that my last conversation with him was so positive and that he was excited about his future in a new field. Our sincere condolences go out to his family, friends, and fans and may God rest his soul.

~gymdiva~
03-15-2009, 01:42 AM
TNA's statement:

TNA REMEMBERS ANDREW "TEST" MARTIN

Everyone at Total Nonstop Action Wrestling is saddened by the passing of Andrew "Test" Martin.

TNA sends its deepest condolences to the Martin family, and we hope our fans will keep Andrew in their thoughts in the coming days.

IF I TOOK ROIDS I'D BE MR OLYMPIA
03-15-2009, 03:15 AM
What do they all have in common. Are all juicing.

BigJD69
03-15-2009, 03:49 AM
Yeah usually when someone is motionless, I think it's a good indication that they are not doing so good Swede!!!

Hardly Krishna
03-15-2009, 03:53 AM
Yeah usually when someone is motionless, I think it's a good indication that they are not doing so good Swede!!!
or sleeping.

Sandpig
03-15-2009, 07:42 AM
Wow, I always liked him as a wrestler. Better than a lot of crap that's out there now.

RIP

Larry C
03-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Damn another loss, RIP.

M. Vince Goodrum
03-15-2009, 12:51 PM
What???...

Not the last one??...:confused:

What is this supposed to mean?

A lot of pro wrestlers are made to work through injuries and etc for fear they don't lose their jobs. Taking a bump (fall) in the ring is equal to being rearended in a car at 20mph.

Test actually worked for WWE for 7 years and when he substained a neck injury, the WWE fired him while he was actually getting the surgery.

So wrestlers are using massive quantities of steroids to help with recovery and to substain their conditioning but they are also taking a number of painkillers as well which in combination is simply too much for the body to handle. Either they die from an overdose or heart attack...take your pick.

When the autospy comes out, it will be either one of the two.

The WWE, TNA, ROH, and other wrestling organizations are a lot more ruthless than before. Its gotten to the point to where you're only as good as you're working. When you're not, you're gone

Unfortunately, a lot more are going to bite the big one

Swede
03-15-2009, 12:53 PM
He shouldn't have juiced.

:D

Swede
03-15-2009, 12:53 PM
A lot of pro wrestlers are made to work through injuries and etc for fear they don't lose their jobs. Taking a bump (fall) in the ring is equal to being rearended in a car at 20mph.

Test actually worked for WWE for 7 years and when he substained a neck injury, the WWE fired him while he was actually getting the surgery.

So wrestlers are using massive quantities of steroids to help with recovery and to substain their conditioning but they are also taking a number of painkillers as well which in combination is simply too much for the body to handle. Either they die from an overdose or heart attack...take your pick.

When the autospy comes out, it will be either one of the two.

The WWE, TNA, ROH, and other wrestling organizations are a lot more ruthless than before. Its gotten to the point to where you're only as good as you're working. When you're not, you're gone

Unfortunately, a lot more are going to bite the big one

this is correct.

Deezal
03-15-2009, 01:40 PM
What do they all have in common. Are all juicing.

oh and all have taken about 10000000000000000 shots to the dome.

Deezal
03-15-2009, 01:41 PM

And when you sleep, you move around a bit. Obviously, if you are completely motionless with no raising of the chest...you're most likely dead

It's too bad you're not a wrestler. :D

Klaus Urine
03-15-2009, 02:24 PM
this is correct.So true. It's not worth the risk of spontaneous decapitation.

Classicfitness
03-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Man that is fucked up. I used to watch that guy wrestle back in the day. What a shame. R.I.P.

Back in the days? The guy was 33!!! Back in the days was guys like Luger, Tatanka, Hart brothers, Legion of dooms, etc. And way back in the days was Roddy Piper, Andre, early Hogan, etc.

So when is "back in the days" for you? 3yrs ago?

But yeah, RIP. And btw, nowadays, wrestler are dropping like flies.

Big Al
03-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Rip

JohnnyStyles
03-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Just found out...very sad for the test man.

SonOfPluto
03-15-2009, 09:49 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if rec drugs were at least in part responsible somehow.

~gymdiva~
03-19-2009, 01:15 AM
The following are some excerpts from a blog entry by WWE Hall Of Famer Bret "The Hitman" Hart. In it, he discusses the recent passing of Andrew "Test" Martin. You can view Bret Hart's blog at BretHart.com.

I met Andrew, along with his equally huge friend George, at the Planet Hollywood restaurant in downtown Toronto in 1996. WWE exec, Carlo DeMarco brought them both up to meet me and to see if I’d be interested in possibly training them as wrestlers. Andrew was, as my father would say, a fine specimen; 6’ 6”, lean, hard and handsome with a big, boyish smile. I wasn’t actually looking for any more prospects but I saw something in him and told him if he could get over to Calgary I’d personally teach him, free of charge.

I was working a full WWE schedule back then and was preparing to begin teaching, or fine tuning, some of the many young wrestlers that were starting to pop up everywhere. I instantly liked Andrew and I can smile now at the memory of coming home from the road, physically exhausted, only to remember that I’d promised Andrew a real match in my dungeon. I found myself reluctantly wrapping my knees and lacing up my boots so I could wrestle Andrew on my precious day off. That day Andrew went from dreaming of being a wrestler to actually working with the WWE World Champion in his home. I wrestled Andrew for over a half hour and I knew back then that, with his size and ability, he was going to go far in the business.

And another excerpt:

Death brought Andrew and I back together when we saw each other at Bryan “Krush” Adams’ funeral two years ago. It was during that sad, dark time - after the recent losses of Sherri Martel, Bam Bam Bigelow and the blackness of the Chris Benoit tragedy - I was hearing that Andrew was having drug addiction problems again and I was fearful he might be next. I saw a need to keep in touch with him and do all I could to encourage him to save himself, and maybe some others too. We renewed our friendship and stayed in touch.

And finally:

This past November I had the luck of doing a wrestling tour in France for two weeks with Andrew and he seemed to be a new man. He’d completed WWE sponsored rehab and had a new lease on life. Andrew clearly had his demons on the run and we talked about him becoming the poster child for wrestlers that desperately needed a voice urging, “If I can beat this, so can you!” Andrew convinced me he had the commitment and the determination to make a difference. I had a great time with him on that tour.

Following the tour I had painful knee replacement surgery and now it was Andrew calling me to see if I was doing okay. A few weeks ago he talked of coming to visit me here in Hawaii. He seemed so strong and focused that I never thought to question him about how he was doing. I again urged him to use his experience to reach out to the many wrestlers who are still losing their battle with drug addiction.

Now I wish so much that I could’ve somehow known that Andrew was losing his grip on his addictions, beginning to slip. I failed to see the signs of him losing a battle that I thought he’d already won. My heart has been heavy since the news of his passing. In our last phone call, a few weeks ago, I kidded him about how he worked that entire France tour and never took one bump and I smile at the memory of his deep booming laugh echoing over the phone. That’s how I choose to remember my friend. I’m sorry I didn’t see his pain and suffering; had I known I’d have tried harder to save him. He slipped and we lost one of the good ones. Nobody has anything but the nicest things to remember about Andrew Martin. I will miss him. He was a dear friend, one of very few I had left in a profession where too many die too young. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his entire family. Somehow, as hard as we all tried, we lost another good soul forever.