PDA

View Full Version : DP's Keto Diet and Periods

nicoledominique
06-06-2010, 10:05 AM
I started Dave's Keto diet 3 weeks ago and this past week was the week before my expected period. Well, the scale didn't budge at all this week in addition to being extremely bloated and fat looking.

Please tell me this is all PMS related because it is so frustrating to work hard and eat EXACTLY as I'm supposed to and see nothing change in my body or the scale.

Common sense would say that it obviously is PMS, but I just want to know if any other women out there deal with this? I need to know I'm not alone and it's not just me!

I feel so disgusting right now... :cloud:

GirlyMuscle
06-06-2010, 11:06 AM
It's got to be period bloat. I never had weight gain or bloating while on Dave's diet. Hang in there. Push through. The bloat and water will subside.

Suzanne
06-06-2010, 11:22 AM
yes probably period related

but remember the scale doesn't always move every week and that does not mean not making progress

nicoledominique
06-06-2010, 11:29 AM
It's got to be period bloat. I never had weight gain or bloating while on Dave's diet. Hang in there. Push through. The bloat and water will subside. Thank you, this is what I need to hear....it is extremely disheartening to feel like you're not making progress. To make matters worse, yesterday at the gym the best looking, most muscular female trainer I've seen was in her skimpy outfit looking great while I was in my baggy t-shirt wishing I was invisible! I NEVER feel that way!

but remember the scale doesn't always move every week and that does not mean not making progress Yes, I know you're right! I pray that by this time next week the scale reads differently, or at least I feel and look leaner in the mirror! My lifts are improving, so I know the scale might not read the way I want it to, but it's hard to feel so bad about yourself!

melohh
06-06-2010, 11:47 AM

but remember the scale doesn't always move every week and that does not mean not making progress

definitely period related because the same thing ALWAYS happens to me before my period and i start to freak out!

i was also running keto and got amazing results and i hardly looked at the scale. If i can see a difference then i know i'm doing something right, regardless of what the scale says.

GirlyMuscle
06-06-2010, 12:01 PM
I did Dave's diet for 30 weeks last year under his coaching. There were times when the scale didn't move but the progress was evident in pictures. Do NOT rely on the scale as your only means of measuring progress. It is simply one of many tools.

nicoledominique
06-06-2010, 04:10 PM
definitely period related because the same thing ALWAYS happens to me before my period and i start to freak out!

i was also running keto and got amazing results and i hardly looked at the scale. If i can see a difference then i know i'm doing something right, regardless of what the scale says.
Thank you! It is nice to know it isn`t just me.

I am still feeling crappy...stomach is still puffy and just feel gross! I can only hope that in a couple of days I am back to normal...

I did Dave's diet for 30 weeks last year under his coaching. There were times when the scale didn't move but the progress was evident in pictures. Do NOT rely on the scale as your only means of measuring progress. It is simply one of many tools. I know, I try to tell myself that it doesn`t matter....usually the scale doesn`t bother me at all, but I definitely don`t look better than the week before! Fatter, actually!

melohh
06-06-2010, 04:21 PM
i should be getting my period in a few days and i'm really bloated too :( feel gross!

InHonorInMind
06-08-2010, 06:07 PM
If only there was a legit way we could avoid that whole 'week before' all together.....

melohh
06-08-2010, 10:31 PM
If only there was a legit way we could avoid that whole 'week before' all together.....

lol i agree

tight booty
06-08-2010, 10:42 PM
I started Dave's Keto diet 3 weeks ago and this past week was the week before my expected period. Well, the scale didn't budge at all this week in addition to being extremely bloated and fat looking.

Please tell me this is all PMS related because it is so frustrating to work hard and eat EXACTLY as I'm supposed to and see nothing change in my body or the scale.

Common sense would say that it obviously is PMS, but I just want to know if any other women out there deal with this? I need to know I'm not alone and it's not just me!

I feel so disgusting right now... :cloud:
The scale either doesn't budge or it goes up, the week leading up to my period! Trust me, do not go near the scales before your period! It will not be accurate and there is no point in getting so upset and disheartened! Weigh yourself the day after your period finishes and you will be relieved and realise you got upset and worried for nothing! :)

nicoledominique
06-09-2010, 08:37 AM
The scale either doesn't budge or it goes up, the week leading up to my period! Trust me, do not go near the scales before your period! It will not be accurate and there is no point in getting so upset and disheartened! Weigh yourself the day after your period finishes and you will be relieved and realise you got upset and worried for nothing! :) Yes, I should have known better. I feel like a failure! I wasn't incorporating p/v days (to see if I could lose without them) and I feel so miserable that today I am starting my first p/v day.

I know Dave starts most women off this way from the beginning of the diet (unless they have a huge amount of lean mass), so we'll see.

rachel9
08-17-2010, 01:22 AM
hey guys,

I have been on dave's cutting diet for about 2-3 months now and my period has completely disappeared. I am just curious as to whether the diet is the cause, has anyone else experienced this?
Should i be worried?

Thanks

~gymdiva~
08-17-2010, 01:30 AM
how's your body fat %? are they ever irregular? ever stopped before? prepping for a show?

sassy69
08-17-2010, 01:36 AM
Lots of things can cause an interruption in your period - I don't think its so much Dave 's diet specifically, but rather if you've made good progress - if you've dropped some bodyfat sometimes the body interprets this as a big change and it tends to turn on certain "survival responses" (e.g. turning off your period so you are less likely to get pregnant - not saying you wouldn't get pregnant right now, but its still a survival response to a big change in how your body perceives food is available and you are metabolizing it / what your body might need if you were pregnant, for a more successful birth).

Generally it can turn off if you go thru any big change - bodyfat loss, stress, etc.

rachel9
08-17-2010, 05:04 AM
Thanks for the replies guys,

I am an elite soccer player and have always been active, my periods have always been some what regular and fairly light. I am quite sure i have a bf % of about 17, before i started the diet i was around 19 or 20. I have dropped about 2 solid kilos of fat and become significantly stronger in the gym so my body weight has stayed around the same maybe a little bit lighter.

I am still experiencing the symptoms of periods e.g bloating, pains but no bleeding. Will they ever come back and is it detrimental to weight loss if i dont have them?

sassy69
08-19-2010, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the replies guys,

I am an elite soccer player and have always been active, my periods have always been some what regular and fairly light. I am quite sure i have a bf % of about 17, before i started the diet i was around 19 or 20. I have dropped about 2 solid kilos of fat and become significantly stronger in the gym so my body weight has stayed around the same maybe a little bit lighter.

I am still experiencing the symptoms of periods e.g bloating, pains but no bleeding. Will they ever come back and is it detrimental to weight loss if i dont have them?

This is not uncommon when there's a big change in diet, or some aspect of your life. Its called amenorrhea. You can google that and read up more on it in general. The flow stops or becomes eratic (breakthru bleeding, light, heavy) but all the other aspects of it are still there. Since the body likes consistency, any big change or stress can cause it. But when things become more consistent, it will generally return.

And not it won't affect your body's ability to drop fat.