PDA

View Full Version : post pregnancy training?

irishmuscle
06-08-2010, 06:14 AM
hey guys,

me and my wife are expecting our first baby(fingers crossed) in august. before she got pregnant she used to love running and doing weights so she was in pretty good shape. just wondering 1. how long after giving birth is it safe to go back training? 2. does it depend on if it is natural or c-section? 3. if its a section do they cut the ab wall or pull it to side? 4. which is better? pretty much any other info would be appreciated, thanks.

nicoledominique
06-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Congratulations!

Forgive me if she already is doing this, but it's really okay for women to continue working out while pregnant. Of course, she shouldn't be doing anything crazy (high intensity heavy lifting), but moderate cardio and weights will be great for her and I've read that it can help with labour.

If she works out through most of her pregnancy and has a natural labour, I would think she can get back at it as soon as she feels up to it -- starting off slowly, of course.
A C-Section is a different story, so should really check with the doctor on that one because it will depend on how she's healing.

irishmuscle
06-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Congratulations!

Forgive me if she already is doing this, but it's really okay for women to continue working out while pregnant. Of course, she shouldn't be doing anything crazy (high intensity heavy lifting), but moderate cardio and weights will be great for her and I've read that it can help with labour.

If she works out through most of her pregnancy and has a natural labour, I would think she can get back at it as soon as she feels up to it -- starting off slowly, of course.
A C-Section is a different story, so should really check with the doctor on that one because it will depend on how she's healing.
thank you!
she was training up to 6 months but stopped a few weeks ago,she got sciatica,sore back and is just really tired, doctors orders! all part of pregnancy i guess.

LisaRD23
06-08-2010, 09:52 AM
Being that her doc gave her orders to cut back on the training, then she really needs to wait untill doc gives her the OK to go back to training.

Typically you can start walking the day after you give birth (not power/speed walking...) But after the 6week post-partum check up is usually when the avergae women gets a full clearance.

With C-section it will be longer, I think 8 weeks.

irishmuscle
06-09-2010, 06:12 AM
Being that her doc gave her orders to cut back on the training, then she really needs to wait untill doc gives her the OK to go back to training.

Typically you can start walking the day after you give birth (not power/speed walking...) But after the 6week post-partum check up is usually when the avergae women gets a full clearance.

With C-section it will be longer, I think 8 weeks.
thanks lisa, do you with that c-section do they pull ab wall or cut thru it?

LisaRD23
06-09-2010, 09:15 AM
thanks lisa, do you with that c-section do they pull ab wall or cut thru it?

Not too sure. Best to speak with her OB about that. If a c-section is a possibility you may want to speak with a Plastic Surgeon who assists with deliveries.

A PS won't just cut to pull the baby out, they would actually make sure insicions are small enough, low enough, and stiched up small enough to leave the smallest possible scar. They also would be able to speak with you about that muscle cut. I've heard a few women do this and the extra $$ was allways worth it.

irishmuscle
06-09-2010, 11:51 AM
sounds like a plan, go raith maith agat(thank you in irish)