PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Smashed SWEET POTATOES!

Peaceful28
03-14-2009, 03:39 PM
(yield 3 cups)

2 med. sized sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into chunks)
1 large sweet carrot (peeled and cut into chunks)
1/2 cup- 1 cup (120-240 ml) low sodium vegetable stock
1tsp/5ml grated orange rind
pinch each of cinnamon and ginger
1/2 tsp/2.5ml of sea salt

-Cook sweet potatoes and carrots until soft. Drain, leaving a bit of cooking liquid.
-Add seasonings and vegetable stock. Mash coarsely with a potato masher.

Calories-46
cals from fat-0.5
fat-0.5g
sat.fat-0g
trans fat-0g
protein-1g
carbs-11g
dietary fiber-1.5g
sodium-210mg
cholesterol-0mg

SallyAnne
03-14-2009, 05:25 PM
My family likes the sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving that have all the sugar and marshmallows in them. IKCY - I've never liked them. In an effort to make my family healthier (and get them away from the goo) - I baked the the sweet potatoes, removed the skins, and mashed them with some cinnamon and sugar free pancake syrup. VERY easy, and very yummy.

Peaceful28
03-14-2009, 09:36 PM
My family likes the sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving that have all the sugar and marshmallows in them. IKCY - I've never liked them. In an effort to make my family healthier (and get them away from the goo) - I baked the the sweet potatoes, removed the skins, and mashed them with some cinnamon and sugar free pancake syrup. VERY easy, and very yummy.

Your family knows how to eat!!! I love sweet taters like that. :D

I have never tried the sugar free pancake syrup in them, that is a good idea! It even sounds like it tastes good! Thanks :)

red barraca
03-15-2009, 11:14 AM
man that sounds good. peaceful28

Peaceful28
04-11-2009, 03:02 PM
but were afraid to ask. :p

Sweet potatoes: selection

Choose sweet potatoes that are dry and show no signs of decay. Good potatoes will also be plump and smooth.

Sweet potatoes: preparation/uses

Raw preparation
Sweet potatoes are not generally eaten raw. Before cooking, they should be washed thoroughly to rid them of all dirt. Use a stainless steel knife to cut sweet potatoes. Carbon knives cause sweet potatoes to darken.

Cooking
Sweet potatoes are a popular addition to soups and can be boiled and mashed. They can be grilled over medium coals for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender and browning. Sweet potatoes that have been cooked make a tasty baby food.

Baking
Sweet potatoes can be baked at 400 degrees for approximately an hour, depending on their size, or boiled for 20 to 30 minutes. Sweet potatoes can also be used in breads and muffins. Sweet potatoes can be cut into strips and baked for crispy fries.

Freezing
Sweet potatoes can be frozen sliced or mashed. They need to be boiled until tender. After boiling, slice or mash them and place them in freezer-safe containers. Add lemon juice to mashed sweet potatoes.

sweet potatoes: handling, storage & care

Sweet potatoes should not be refrigerated. They should be washed thoroughly, only just before use.

sweet potatoes: nutrition

Sweet potatoes are a good source of beta carotene, calcium, iron, thiamine, fiber, vitamin E and vitamin C. Once baked, sweet potatoes provide twice the recommended daily allowance of vitamin A. They are low in sodium and cholesterol-free and are also free of fat and saturated fat.

Peaceful28
04-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Grilled Sweet Potato Rounds
Makes 4 servings.

4 medium sweet potatoes
2 teaspoons light olive oil
Garlic salt, to taste
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro

Peel sweet potatoes, and cover with water in a large pot. Boil gently for 20 minutes until potatoes are just tender. Do not overcook. Drain well in a colander. When cool, cut into half-inch rounds. Combine olive oil, garlic salt and pepper to taste on a large flat dinner plate. Add sweet potato rounds to plate and coat rounds by turning in oil mixture. Using a hot barbecue grill, cook for 2 minutes on each side until golden. Or if cooking on an indoor stovetop grill, heat to high and cook 5 to 6 minutes on each side until golden. Sprinkle with cilantro to serve.

Mouse
04-11-2009, 03:12 PM
That second recipe sounds interesting. I've only done them like that in the oven (and no cilantro). I never tried par-cooking and grilling.

Peaceful28
04-11-2009, 03:24 PM
That second recipe sounds interesting. I've only done them like that in the oven (and no cilantro). I never tried par-cooking and grilling.

It's okay, you're a man and you don't cook as well as a woman would. I am sure you will get the hang of it though.

:D

Peaceful28
04-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Sweet Potato, egg hash. (great for breakfast wraps)
Makes 8 servings.

4 medium sweet potatoes
1/4 cup light olive or vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 medium white onion, finely chopped
2 (3-inch each) Jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
3 tablespoons parsley, minced
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper, to taste
6 large eggs

Peel sweet potatoes, cover with water in a large pot. Boil gently for 20 minutes until potatoes are just tender. Do not overcook. Drain well in a colander. When cool, cut into half-inch rounds. Add 2 tablespoons oil to a large 12-inch non-stick sauté pan or skillet. Sauté garlic, onions and peppers until wilted. Add remaining oil to pan and sauté sweet potato rounds until lightly browned. Combine parsley, cilantro, salt, pepper and eggs in a large bowl and whisk until eggs are well blended. Add to sweet potato mixture. Cook until eggs are set. Serve hot.

Peaceful28
04-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Sweet Potato Bisque
Makes 4-6 servings or 5 1/2 cups.

medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 3 cups)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small clove garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces, each) chicken broth
1 1/3 cups milk
1/4 cup refrigerated salsa
Green onion sprigs

In 2-quart saucepan, combine first eight ingredients. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. Puree in blender or food processor until smooth. Return to saucepan; add milk and heat through.
Serve garnished with salsa and green onion.

Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories 120
Vitamin A 15,367 IU
Protein 10 gm
Potassium 4.7 mg
Fat 4 gm
Vitamin C 7 mg
Carbohydrates 9.8 gm
Calcium 81 mg
Cholesterol 8.4 mg

Peaceful28
04-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Sweet Potato Pancakes

4 Egg Whites
1 Scoop of Protein Powder
4 Oz. Of Cooked Sweet Potato
Ground Cinnamon, To Taste

Directions:
Preheat grill 300°F degrees. Mix all ingredients using a blender. If the mixture is too thick, add a little water to thin it out. Drop pancake mixture on electric grill and cook at 300°F degrees. When pancake mixture starts to form bubbles, flip the cakes over to grill the other side.

Servings: 4 Servings.

Mouse
04-12-2009, 09:48 PM
It's okay, you're a man and you don't cook as well as a woman would. I am sure you will get the hang of it though.

:D

ROFL. :p

Mario Batali
Bobby Flay
Danny Meyer
Emeril Lagasse
Gordon Ramsey
Wolfgang Puck
Alain Ducasse
Anthony Bourdain
Tom Coliccio
Nobu Matsuhisa
Mouse

Hahahahahahahaha

Peaceful28
04-14-2009, 07:57 PM
ROFL. :p

Mario Batali
Bobby Flay
Danny Meyer
Emeril Lagasse
Gordon Ramsey
Wolfgang Puck
Alain Ducasse
Anthony Bourdain
Tom Coliccio
Nobu Matsuhisa
Mouse

Hahahahahahahaha

I didnt see your name on that list. :D

thepump
04-14-2009, 08:13 PM
My wife cuts the sweet potatoes in cubes, skin on, mix them with Mac oil (Dave's secret recipe) then puts salt and pepper all over. Put on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 for about 45 minutes or until desired crispiness. It's like candy, but good for you.

zachdg
04-20-2009, 11:51 PM
my favorite yet simple sweet potato dish: 1 sweet potato+ walden farms zero calorie syrup+ cinnamon=delicious