PDA

View Full Version : anavar migraine/headache question

funniirishman
06-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Hey, I have searched and googled, and figured I would post here as its probably the most knowledge based forum I can think of.

My wife is taking anavar 10ed, splitting dose 5 in morning and 5 at night. She's been running it coming up on 4 weeks and the last four days whenever she has worked out she has had debilitating headaches..like to the point she has to stop her workout. I put migraine in the title because it is much like a migraine.

She doesn't have a history of headaches, or migraines, and she doesn't get them except when she is working out. First thought is that it's bp related, elevated when she exerts herself and its causing them. I don't have a deep knowledge of anavar, but do know a side effect can be headaches. She also takes an ECA stack or something like Redline in cap form as well. Today she took 800mg of ibuprofen pre-workout and still had to stop.

We figure the common denominator is the anavar and she is considering stopping it. However I figured I would bounce it off of those of you in the know as to ideas or thoughts. Any insight would be most appreciated.

She is going to the walk in clinic right now..bout 20 minutes after she stopped working out to get some base line vitals and see if her BP is elevated to begin with. Thats whats it sounds like to my medic brain, but like I said I'm not female and don't have alot of experience with anavar. Thanks much, appreciate your help---FI

sassy69
06-10-2010, 04:00 PM
This is where I'd start as well. I'd stop the anavar for a couple weeks and see if it makes a difference - takes about 3 weeks for var to completely clear (ref: detection time).

Was she taking any ECA or Redline when the headaches came?

funniirishman
06-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the reply, I know your busy.. she took Redline prior and started ECA about a week ago. She did not take any today prior to workout, instead took Redline.

Her BP was 140/104 about 30-40 minutes post workout, so its high, and is probably the source of her headaches when she lifts. BP skyrockets, head feels like its going to explode. I'm not sure if a side effect of anavar is increased bp, or if she needs to back off stimulants..although for her caffeine is a way of life and she wasn't headache prone prior when taking. I will share with her this advice, I appreciate you taking time to answer it. Should she taper down to 5 ed or just stop? She is also going to get her bp taken several times this week to see if its generally elevated.

magsmalone
06-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the reply, I know your busy.. she took Redline prior and started ECA about a week ago. She did not take any today prior to workout, instead took Redline.

Her BP was 140/104 about 30-40 minutes post workout, so its high, and is probably the source of her headaches when she lifts. BP skyrockets, head feels like its going to explode. I'm not sure if a side effect of anavar is increased bp, or if she needs to back off stimulants..although for her caffeine is a way of life and she wasn't headache prone prior when taking. I will share with her this advice, I appreciate you taking time to answer it. Should she taper down to 5 ed or just stop? She is also going to get her bp taken several times this week to see if its generally elevated.
Im thinking she needs to back off of the stimulants. Especially right before working out. Normally the vasculature in your brain is auto regulated. Meaning that it tries to stay constant no matter what your peripheral blood pressure is. Some stimulants contain substances that can cause either cerebral vasodilation or vasoconstriction. Both of these can cause a headache especially when you add in the increased pressure of the valsalva that can occur when straining to lift weights. This can be exacerbated by not breathing correctly and retaining CO2. A higher CO2 will increase intracranial pressure as well. I have a lot of experience with headaches because I have a history of migraine headaches myself...I have researched the topic in depth. I had a similar experience when I was drinking turbo tea while training. I felt a headache every time and sometimes I had to cut my workout short. People differ in there sensitivity to stimulating compounds but I would start with discontinuing all stimulants. If the headaches go away and she feels that she has to take something then add a stimulant one at a time and see what effects she sees. My first thought is that it is the redline. but it could be a combination of that on top of whatever else (ie caffeine).

sassy69
06-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Start by eliminating the potential sources one at a time. The stims are the easiest because they clear your system quickliy. If those don't make a difference, then drop the anavar and see if anything changes.

And also just digging around - does she have a tweaked neck or any tension (e.g. from sitting in front of a computer, slouching, sitting in front of the TV, etc.) , eye strain, etc. that might get exacerbated w/ lifting?

s2h
06-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Im thinking she needs to back off of the stimulants. Especially right before working out. Normally the vasculature in your brain is auto regulated. Meaning that it tries to stay constant no matter what your peripheral blood pressure is. Some stimulants contain substances that can cause either cerebral vasodilation or vasoconstriction. Both of these can cause a headache especially when you add in the increased pressure of the valsalva that can occur when straining to lift weights. This can be exacerbated by not breathing correctly and retaining CO2. A higher CO2 will increase intracranial pressure as well. I have a lot of experience with headaches because I have a history of migraine headaches myself...I have researched the topic in depth. I had a similar experience when I was drinking turbo tea while training. I felt a headache every time and sometimes I had to cut my workout short. People differ in there sensitivity to stimulating compounds but I would start with discontinuing all stimulants. If the headaches go away and she feels that she has to take something then add a stimulant one at a time and see what effects she sees. My first thought is that it is the redline. but it could be a combination of that on top of whatever else (ie caffeine).^^^^^this...not the var...

funniirishman
06-11-2010, 06:23 AM
Thanks for all the advice and insight. Oddly enough Sassy she just went to the eye doctor yesterday as she was straining to see. And with what she does she sits at a computer for long hours :) I think all are contributing factors.

After talking to her she is going to monitor her BP for the next couple of weeks, its always been low so we want to make sure thats not an underlying issue. She is going to discontinue stimulant sups--redline and ECA, initially..sticking to coffee in the morning..going without anything is a no go..needs her morning coffee. That is going to give us a quick turn around on the stimulant aspect..should know if four five days max whether or not thats a factor coupled with the anavar. If that doesnt stop them then she is going to discontinue var and see if that helps.

If anything it definitely is a reminder that your physiology is a complex things and different compounds react differently dependent upon your own make up. Main thing is to get rid of the headaches, it is really depressing her to have to stop her workouts short. She has worked hard and continues to do so, not being able to workout has been a real bummer.

Thanks for all the help, I will keep you posted the next week or so just as an fyi as to where we are at.

sassy69
06-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks for all the advice and insight. Oddly enough Sassy she just went to the eye doctor yesterday as she was straining to see. And with what she does she sits at a computer for long hours :) I think all are contributing factors.

After talking to her she is going to monitor her BP for the next couple of weeks, its always been low so we want to make sure thats not an underlying issue. She is going to discontinue stimulant sups--redline and ECA, initially..sticking to coffee in the morning..going without anything is a no go..needs her morning coffee. That is going to give us a quick turn around on the stimulant aspect..should know if four five days max whether or not thats a factor coupled with the anavar. If that doesnt stop them then she is going to discontinue var and see if that helps.

If anything it definitely is a reminder that your physiology is a complex things and different compounds react differently dependent upon your own make up. Main thing is to get rid of the headaches, it is really depressing her to have to stop her workouts short. She has worked hard and continues to do so, not being able to workout has been a real bummer.

Thanks for all the help, I will keep you posted the next week or so just as an fyi as to where we are at.

I'm a software engineer/ computer jockey since 1988 so I can appreciate the eyes and neck thing. Recently my eyes started getting "old" so I have to strain more to see the computer and I have a chair that makes me slide forward. Generally these things don't bother me but occasionally something will start accumulating and I'll get a tweak in my neck. I generally get adjusted about 1/ month and a massage when it gets bad. Either of those will help that. But I find anything that is a small irritation gets escalated in the gym under the strain and increased blood flow.

Bryan Hildebrand
06-13-2010, 08:39 AM
many contributors, but unless her BP runs pretty low while not on redline, eca, anavar etc, the BP shouldnt be the major contributor to the headaches.
i'm willing to bet that the ECA/redline is the contributing factor. i'd drop the E and C and continue with the A for the time being. reducing the bloods viscosity should help some is she is still having vessel dilitation in her brain. i would however encourage her to have a small cup of coffee every morning to help reduce the chance of rebound headache from cutting off all caffeine.

magowana
02-21-2012, 02:40 AM
Can a chiropractor really help resolve migraine headaches? My wife has had migraine headaches for 30 years. Maxalt pills are what help her, but it only lessens the pain, and it makes her very woozy and with no energy. Would it be worth it to go see a chiropractor to see if they can find a pinched nerve or something? Thanks!

sassy69
02-21-2012, 02:55 AM
Can a chiropractor really help resolve migraine headaches? My wife has had migraine headaches for 30 years. Maxalt pills are what help her, but it only lessens the pain, and it makes her very woozy and with no energy. Would it be worth it to go see a chiropractor to see if they can find a pinched nerve or something? Thanks!

Its certainly one dimension worth investigating. Migraines seem to be very illusive - different people have success or grades of success w/ different treatments.

s2h
02-21-2012, 07:49 AM
I have a buddy thats a sports chiro and were pretty close friends...so i asked him about this topic figuring he would give me a real answer....he said yes a chiro can if its from a nerve issue...but if the headache isnt gone by visit number 1 or 2...then most likely its something that a chiro cant fix...he doesnt advertise or even discuss fixing headaches cause he said normally its highly unlikly he can fix it...

GKharma
02-21-2012, 02:26 PM
just realized this was an old post.. from the var perspective

I used to see a chiro for my headaches and it help quite a bit however, the headaches were caused by misalignments and were not physiological in nature..

showstopper88
02-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Some supplements that will help out with headaches include magnesium, butterbur, and feverfew

lgcanski
02-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Howz her hydration status??? Is she taking in enough fluids during the day? I know some women experience headaches the first few weeks on Var, but not to the extent of a Migraine. It could be something simple as dehydration, or sensitivity to all the stimulants. This, coming from your friendly E.R. Practitioner. Wishing her all the best!

-BLP-
04-21-2012, 01:35 AM
most headache from th neck , ppls tend to look at them pushing heavy
''a chiro fix this 90% of time