PDA

View Full Version : RxGirl: The XX Factor

SallyAnne
06-10-2010, 08:22 PM
"Approach any woman trainer in the throes of PMS and casually inform her that she has a natural hormone advantage over her fellow male trainers and I guarantee you the response will not be pretty. The simple fact is that Pre Menstrual Syndrome can seriously mess with your state of mind causing mood swings, irritability and even tearfulness for no apparent reason.

However, what if I was to tell you that you could actually use your hormones to your advantage when it comes to both your diet and your training… Interested?"

Read the entire Article (http://www.rxmuscle.com/rxgirl/rx-girl-articles/1514-the-x-x-factor.html), written by Leigh Penman.

fitmomma3
06-13-2010, 02:06 PM
hmmmmm this is interesting... I have to re read it a few times. I'm having a hard time grasping being in higher burning rates and metabolic rate when I have my period. Seeing it is the ONLY time I'm sleepy, get migraines, and want to eat crap, not to mention the first two days I get horrible cramps. I then wonder if Lei would write a correlating article with then the opposite losing all of this through menopause, I have to say this is the NUMBER ONE thing I hear about. At first when I was younger I truly just thought it was more an excuse or right of passage as a woman to complain about, but the more and more I learn the more and more I see how this change can reak serious havoc on your body. And genetically my mother has never worked out or dieted, obv woman will eventually gain as they get older and their metabolism changes., but her body has changed so much that the belly area is like its transplanted from someone else. I mean its not bad shes not really that heavy but she NEVER ever use to gain in her belly area like that. And since she has gone through menopause thats the only place she gains... anywho I'm off track. Interesting article! Keep em coming!

fitairess
06-13-2010, 02:19 PM
WOW! That article was great!

sassy69
06-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Interesting article --- I think because we fixate so much on the "must get lean" thing when we talk about "fitness", we want to ignore all the reasons we have estrogen. W/o it you can't build muscle, your joints get dried out and a whole bunch of other things don't work. Many women run around looking for estrogen suppression supplements to help deal w/ the hips and all the other "tough spots" that women have problems getting rid of, even w/ hugely dedicated diet & training.

To fitmomma's note, I'm over 40 and have had a number of women also over 40 talk to me, practically crying, that they've got cellulite on their hips that they never had before. Its very hard to deal w/ estrogen AND age in terms of how society tells us we're supposed to looke, but its so important to include it and work with it instead of trying to find something that shuts it off.

musclemilf
06-13-2010, 03:18 PM
The article points to higher metabolism during the luteal phase, which is really when estrogen dips and progesterone (evil, evil EVIL but necessary hormone) levels elevate to prepare the body for pregnancy. If the egg isn't fertilized, the uterine lining sheds through menstruation. It's really the progesterone that kicks the metabolism into high gear. Progesterone works as powerful diuretic negating the water retention effects of estrogen. Try taking a prometrium pill and you'll be peeing like a mofo.

Both estrogen and progesterone work in harmonious opposition to one another in healthy, fertile female. :) It's when these hormones get out of balance do we get stubborn weight gain, mood issues, premature aging etc.

stephaniewicked
06-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Well-written, Leigh! I really like the approach you used to engage the reader into the article...

I have to admit I am one of the ones that tends to complain alot about my female hormones and how they make it more difficult for me to lean out. At the same time though, I know that health is incredibly important and like musclemilf said, they are sometimes/often evil, but necessary...

Gotta love being a woman... :)

fitmomma3
06-13-2010, 06:04 PM
The article points to higher metabolism during the luteal phase, which is really when estrogen dips and progesterone (evil, evil EVIL but necessary hormone) levels elevate to prepare the body for pregnancy. If the egg isn't fertilized, the uterine lining sheds through menstruation. It's really the progesterone that kicks the metabolism into high gear. Progesterone works as powerful diuretic negating the water retention effects of estrogen. Try taking a prometrium pill and you'll be peeing like a mofo.

Both estrogen and progesterone work in harmonious opposition to one another in healthy, fertile female. :) It's when these hormones get out of balance do we get stubborn weight gain, mood issues, premature aging etc.
hmmm this is interesting I do better when I use to do BC on higher progesterone based ones... its the only thing my body could tolerate... And I am fertile mertile but I don't carry any extra weight in my hips and butt like most women. Even my own mother has a tiny waist (well use to before menopause - but even still its much smaller than her waist??) and large hips... I always have been the ruler type athletic body I work to build up my hips and booty very strange....

musclemilf
06-13-2010, 06:41 PM
hmmm this is interesting I do better when I use to do BC on higher progesterone based ones... its the only thing my body could tolerate... And I am fertile mertile but I don't carry any extra weight in my hips and butt like most women. Even my own mother has a tiny waist (well use to before menopause - but even still its much smaller than her waist??) and large hips... I always have been the ruler type athletic body I work to build up my hips and booty very strange....

The partial explanation for the "re-distribution of fat" is after menopause our ovaries eventually stop producing the primary estrogen, E2 - estradiol, the body then relies on estrone, E1 made and stored in body fat around the mid section, thighs, butt and hips. It sucks. :(

sassy69
06-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Here's a good endocrinology view of the whole menstrual cycle and ovulation - not a really light read but if you have a minute to sit down, it does a nice job of breaking down what is going on during the female menstrual cycle. This seems to give Leigh's discussion more context.

http://www.endotext.org/female/female3/femaleframe3.htm

musclemilf
06-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Gaaa, my head hurts after reading this lol. Good find though, Sassy. Looks like the pre-ovulation phase is where testosterone is elevated :D

I'm curious about women who don't ovulate, especially athletes. I wish to to God there were more studies on hormone levels of middle aged female athletes, both AAS and non-AAs users. I asked my gyno about this some time ago in which she replied "aren't steroids illegal?" eh, never mind.