PDA

View Full Version : Skechers Shapeups?

SallyAnne
06-13-2010, 08:06 PM
I tried a pair of these on at Famous Footwear today and almost fell over. lol They have a curved sole so you are constantly balancing yourself as you walk. I didn't buy them because I'm skeptical. Are these worth the $99? As much time as I spend on the treadmill during prep, I was considering them...

gS9zYci5V_c

fitmomma3
06-13-2010, 08:11 PM
they look like platforms to me I've never tried them But I feel like I would roll my ankle...seriously I'm that clumsy lol My husbands aunt has them and she loves them.

2hot4u
06-13-2010, 09:26 PM
I heard a doctor on a news tv show say that they might be good for your calfs but not too much evidence that they will give you a tight booty?? Just what i heard. I would think if it was that easy why did it take soooo long for shoe companies to come up with this product???

LainaJ
06-13-2010, 09:32 PM
I have a friend who has a very high arch and she loves them. Just my FYI>.. I still prefer Nike Shox.. but I am totally skeptical of shoe that is elevated in any way after I broke my ankle :(

Lee Penman
06-13-2010, 11:34 PM
I have two pairs of them...I love them....however...I find the Reebok 'Easytone' a lot easier to work out in and you can walk faster!

SallyAnne
06-13-2010, 11:39 PM
I have two pairs of them...I love them....however...I find the Reebok 'Easytone' a lot easier to work out in and you can walk faster!

So...did you feel like your calves got a good workout wearing them? I'm just curious as to what they really do. lol

Growin24/7
06-13-2010, 11:59 PM
sorry to jump in here but my gf has a pair of these and she won't take them off lol, she says she can feel her calves and quads working a little after wearing them for awhile also i guess it's really good b.c it helps with taking pressure off your knees or ankles like reg "gym" shoes would. shes 5'8 115 vacular/nice little build lol -hope that helps a little

SallyAnne
06-14-2010, 12:01 AM
sorry to jump in here but my gf has a pair of these and she won't take them off lol, she says she can feel her calves and quads working a little after wearing them for awhile also i guess it's really good b.c it helps with taking pressure off your knees or ankles like reg "gym" shoes would. shes 5'8 115 vacular/nice little build lol -hope that helps a little

thank you!

I figured people must like them, because Skechers started marketing one style and now they have shapeup sandals, several styles of sneakers, work shoes...

~Maz~
06-14-2010, 04:06 AM
~ I asked about them a while back and got a few good responses here ...

~ Sketchers Shape Ups?? ~ - RX Muscle Forums

... I caved and bought a pair and i must admit i do feel my calves more as I'm walking and like Growing24/7's g/f pressure off my knees!! Good for anything other than walking?? Don't think so ... Worth the money?? I'm a frugal Scot, so i say they need to be cheaper if more people are going to buy them!! ~ :p

~ On a side note i also bought a pair of Asics at the same time and i LOVE them!! Why i never bought that brand before i don't know but OH they are like heaven on my feet!! ~

Lee Penman
06-14-2010, 09:08 AM
I didn't really find that my calves were working more and strangely enough on walking for longer distances I felt my legs more on the Easytone than the Shape- Ups.
I honestly think that these shoes probably do the most for people who do not work out as their leg muscles are not used to actually working...
I just like the cushioning they provide for your feet and the way they lessen the impact of walking on concrete......

stephaniewicked
06-14-2010, 09:47 AM
I asked for these as a birthday present and actually love them, BUT I like them just to wear to run errands and stuff.... In all the hours they have been on my feet in the last 6 months, not once did I ever think "wow, what a great workout!"... that's what my 2 leg days every week are for! ;)

SallyAnne... I've worn them on the treadmill before. I don't recommend it. They kept digging into the back of my ankle and made it really difficult to walk on an incline. And forget running... I probably would have fallen right off, lol...

They do take some getting used to and I'm sure I look a bit awkward sometimes when I wear them because I tend to rock back and forth, but I like the little bit of height they give me.

Whenever people ask me if "they work" though, I tell them no and to go to the gym. But if you are like me and don't have any expectations other than another pair of sneakers to kick around in, then that's exactly what they are in my opinion.

Ibarramedia
06-14-2010, 11:17 AM
If you all like it then buy it. I think I saw Joe Montana wearing those in one of those ads.

~gymdiva~
06-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Laina, I never thought about the high arch deal....I have high arches so it may just be more comfy in walking across campus....I was curious about the Reebok ones, too....anything to make walking better since I walk at work, too!

~Maz~
06-14-2010, 12:09 PM
~ I'm the opposite i have collapsed arches and walk very flat footed, these helped me ONLY when walking!! Tried the treadmill and the cross trainer and both a big NO NO!! I think the thing i like the most is that they do give me a little spring in my step, when i'm standing in a queue i find myself rolling on them which keeps me moving as apposed to standing still which one leg locked (A very bad habit of mine i am trying to break!!) I would recommend them but not for a work out shoe!! ~

LainaJ
06-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Laina, I never thought about the high arch deal....I have high arches so it may just be more comfy in walking across campus....I was curious about the Reebok ones, too....anything to make walking better since I walk at work, too!

Give it a try.. Dr Scholl arch inserts are soo comfy to me too.

spritz0
06-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Give it a try.. Dr Scholl arch inserts are soo comfy to me too.
How's your ankle recovering now anyway?? We were hoping for a quick recovery for you...

LainaJ
06-27-2010, 09:46 PM
How's your ankle recovering now anyway?? We were hoping for a quick recovery for you...

Thanks Spritz0!!! I am totally recovered but the swelling is a daily battle. My doc says on break as severe as mine was, it will atleast take a year before any signs of relief .. ON a good note... I bought a pair of sketchers.... OMFG... I have been wearing them all day.. Everyday by noon I am barefoot because my dogs are barking... I love these shoes.. It is like you are walking on two firm matresses ..

Seriously gals.. these shoes are everybit worth the 100 bucks.. My feet havent felt this good in a long time.. OK end infomercial LOL But seriously,.... buy a pair

kentuckyslim
07-01-2010, 12:41 PM
I love my Shapeups! I work at a GIANT outdoor bar in the summer, and I'm on my feet speeding around all day, which is hell on my feet - or at least it was.

I bought my Shapeups on my break from a double-shift, and by the end of my shift my feet felt great, my joints stopped aching, and I was SOLD! The sole is so squishy and soft, and since you can't lean back on your heels, you're forced to stand up straighter. I'm a tall girl who had been accused of slouching more than once, so these shoes are priceless for me.

I wouldn't run in them, since I think shoes SHOULD be activity-specific; Run in running shoes if you don't want to injure yourself - Period. There are several styles out now with a less aggressive curve in the sole if you find yourself getting sea-sick trying them on. I've spent easily $300 a pair on some high heels that made me want to cry...why not spend $99 bucks on some shoes that make your feet happy?

GENESIS
07-01-2010, 12:53 PM
ill comment since i bought my girlfriend a pair of the Reebok variety. She likes them alot. even when doing the treadmill she says you feel it alot more in your calf's and hammies.

plus the Reebok ones DONT look like platform shoes...

figure_22
07-01-2010, 02:10 PM
They sound amazing! My calves and legs are tiny, I am purchasing a pair TODAY!

Lee Penman
07-09-2010, 10:53 AM
I just got a new pair this week (my third!) and I have to say I really feel my legs working with these...don't know if they have modified them or not but I felt nothing with the other two pairs.
Came very close to buying Reebok's 'Run Tone' instead though....damn if I won the lottery I could have it all....lol!!!

LisaRD23
07-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Wow...so it seems like this really is a "worthy" product, huh?

I have to admit when I 1st saw the commercials for these I thought "great now everyone thinks they can get in shape just by walking around in these funny looking sneakers!"

For those of you who have purchased, what benefits have you experienced while using them?