strict military
push press
split jerk

or
neutral grip log

or
1 arm dumbbell press
bent press

any one of those you havent tried or want to try?

tjoe
03-14-2009, 07:19 PM
haven't tried the one arm db yet.
I like em all though. I think it depends on what type of press is in an upcoming meet. Or what weakness you may be trying to overcome or get around. Example: if tris are weak and you don't have enough time to bring them up to par, prehaps you can work on a more explosive "push press" and just "launch" the bar to lockout rather than having to press through the tris. (Of course I would recommend bringing them up, not just working around it for the long term)

We just had our axle delivered today!! Its not very heavy but we will be able to add weight to it. It does look pretty badass though and it is very different to clean since the wheels are welded to the bar and do NOT spin like a normal barbell :eek: I can't wait to actually use it training sometime!

robert da strongman
03-14-2009, 07:23 PM
the 1 arms are fun. been doing them.

a few years ago i received a training plan form mike miller and it focused on training my pressing 2x a week. it worked the tris heavy. a couple months of serious training and i added 30 lbs to my press. arms grew too..haha

i am seeing a lot of axle presses in contests. something to seriously work on.

weightgain4000
03-14-2009, 07:39 PM
I recently incorporated standing o/h presses from pins on my upper assistance days and they're pretty dam hard for my weak tris and long arms. I'll see if there is any carry over when I put a shirt on.

robert da strongman
03-14-2009, 07:42 PM
where do you start the presses?

weightgain4000
03-14-2009, 08:03 PM
where do you start the presses?

My arms are starting from a 90 degree bend, I want to make my tris really work.

robert da strongman
03-14-2009, 08:08 PM
where is the bar at?

eye level or below?

GameofInches
03-14-2009, 08:12 PM
I find the axel press to be very humbling. The Clean portion of the axel press I find to be extremely hard and taxing. I prefer push pressing then strict pressing. I need to bring up my strict press A LOT. You are right about seeing axels in comps a lot more. I think they are sort of taking the place of the log press (in many, not all scenarios). I have never used a log, but would def like to. I have done very littel 1 arm db press. I will focus on it more if I were to have it in an upcoming comp, but unitl them I will focus on my reg axel and BB presses.

robert da strongman
03-14-2009, 08:18 PM
logs are easier compared to an axle or bar. the neutral grip helps. also the 12" logs just slide up the body.

2 comps i am looking at have press medleys...one with a circus dumbbell

weightgain4000
03-14-2009, 08:22 PM
where is the bar at?

eye level or below?

Bar starts overhead.

robert da strongman
03-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Bar starts overhead.

that should do it. mine are usually just above eye level

weightgain4000
03-14-2009, 08:27 PM
that should do it. mine are usually just above eye level

Yeah they're freakin hard. Should I do them very controlled? Or is a little dip in the knees and back arching okay when it gets heavy?

robert da strongman
03-14-2009, 08:28 PM
if you are working your tri's then be as strict as possible

weightgain4000
03-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks!

thaistyle
03-15-2009, 06:14 PM
I like the push press because I can do more weight. I typically do them with a 2" thick bar.