PDA

View Full Version : Standing Relaxed

HeavyDutyGuy
06-18-2010, 03:03 PM
Not as easy as it sounds... and nowadays you see guys- and girls!- with their arms so far to the side it looks like they are going to take flight.. Heres a few on how it should look.. lots more examples, these two were just the ones I grabbed cause these guys all looked great here and I'd like to like that-ANY of them here......

Hammerfit
06-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Not as easy as it sounds... and nowadays you see guys- and girls!- with their arms so far to the side it looks like they are going to take flight.. Heres a few on how it should look.. lots more examples, these two were just the ones I grabbed cause these guys all looked great here and I'd like to like that-ANY of them here......

I was amazed at how many guys at last weekends nationals were doing the chicken wing thing! You'd think at that level, posing would be nailed.

axioma
06-23-2010, 09:21 AM
The head judge could call competitors on it. I know tres bennet has in the past in his state shows. If I heard, "number 30, please put your arms down"...that would get some attention. Judges don't seem to mind it, or some now think it is the thing to do, so it is self-perpetuating. Even the pros do a front lat spread with hands detached from waist.

AnglicanBeachParty
06-23-2010, 09:54 AM
The head judge could call competitors on it. I know tres bennet has in the past in his state shows. If I heard, "number 30, please put your arms down"...that would get some attention. Judges don't seem to mind it, or some now think it is the thing to do, so it is self-perpetuating. Even the pros do a front lat spread with hands detached from waist.

I've seen this happen several times. Sometimes the offending poser doesn't seem to think the judge is talking to him. Or he's deaf, whatever.

I took my kids to one show, and there was a guy whose arms were so far up that it looked like he was riding a chopper motorcycle.

When we got home, my daughter imitated some of the guys she saw in this YouTube video (not sure if I have posted it before on Rx):

UXbIVzTNpHc

Neal Grossman
06-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Paul,

That gave me a great smile to face a hard day.

Neal

GirlyMuscle
06-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Ah darn it. Reps when I can ABP. :)

The Big Sexy
06-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Using those pro guys isn't the best example IMO - they can pretty much stand any way they want, in any pose and look phenomenal. They can put their hands on their hips and hit a front lat spread without even trying to work the pose to look better.

In a front relaxed, you should flare your lats from the back, make your shoulders wide and have your chest up. MOST competitors need to do this or they will look much smaller than they "can" look. Stand big. Granted, I completely agree that you can't stand bigger than you are... your triceps should be resting on your lats ... so, if you are sticking your arms out wider - you are being counter productive in the pose (IMO) because you are creating extra air/space between your arms and body - which, makes you look smaller than you should be.

axioma
06-23-2010, 11:44 AM
I've seen this happen several times. Sometimes the offending poser doesn't seem to think the judge is talking to him. Or he's deaf, whatever.

I took my kids to one show, and there was a guy whose arms were so far up that it looked like he was riding a chopper motorcycle.

When we got home, my daughter imitated some of the guys she saw in this YouTube video (not sure if I have posted it before on Rx):

UXbIVzTNpHc

Nice, very nice....:yep:

HeavyDutyGuy
06-23-2010, 02:15 PM
That video was just classic..........and the girl has the act down. way too funny...

Baldiewonkanobi
06-23-2010, 09:28 PM
OMG she is a riot. PLEASE give her a big grandpa hug and thanx from Baldie

Sledge
06-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Bob Chic has a good vid on this. So does that bloke who runs the NPC in Philidelphia region etc (I can't remember his name).
It might be on Youtube, I'd look for it but I won't have access till next week.

Sledge
06-25-2010, 03:56 AM
Gary Udit is the name of the bloke I couldn't remember.

GerryT
07-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Usually judges at lower level shows are stricter about the positions. I have seen judges who askd competitors to place arms at sides in fron and side positions. In a side turn shot, one should not be able to see the inside arm.

Depends on the show and judges. Best way to execute is the right way.

AnglicanBeachParty
07-10-2010, 05:55 PM
OMG she is a riot. PLEASE give her a big grandpa hug and thanx from Baldie

Just now saw this ... will do!

AVBG
07-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Agreed.. over flaring of the arms leaving them perpendicular to the ground looks stoopid

Sledge
07-10-2010, 07:08 PM
EJy9jcqFUHA

l-aYOh-bxF8

xPJCNnPoDXE