PDA

View Full Version : Probably been answered a million times before. However....

Chebster
03-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Bit new to this. Anyway, is there any reason why I can't mix my protein powder to my oatmeal before nuking it in the microwave? Or even adding it to hot coffee. Would it degrade the protein? Just thinking of making breakfast a bit more tasty. Thanks for any advise.

Zetawill
03-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Shouldn't be a problem....you may loose a little bit but .0000257% isn't going to make a huge difference.....the heat may actually allow it to absorb easier. (The body doesn't have to heat it up so less lost in digestion).

Protein bars are cooked at really really high heats and they still hold up pretty well.

Legend
03-14-2009, 10:04 PM
As long as you don't cook whey protein at a sustained high temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit or above, its fine. At this sustained temperature, it may destroy or degrade some of the bioactive compounds in whey. (For example, the amino acid cystine)

Just throw the protein in after you cook the oats, just to be on the safe side.

Chebster
03-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks for both of your advice, makes my life a bit more fun. Got to love this site, better than getbig where whatever you ask, some dolt invariably calls you gay!!!

SallyAnne
03-14-2009, 10:18 PM
Let me know how it tastes in coffee. I've mixed chocolate with cold coffee and ice, but I've never though of using the protein powder as a 'creamer' for the coffee.

Chebster
03-14-2009, 10:35 PM
No probs SallyAnne, I've got vanilla Myofusion, I reckon one scoop to about 2 teaspoons of Nescafe Goldblend in about 1/2 pint of boiled water should give a tasty French brew. I'll try it in the morning.

Chebster
03-17-2009, 04:55 PM
It does not work in a hot coffee. My God it was nasty!!! It may work as a warm drink, but with boiling water and Gold Blend it was dreadful; had to have a few pints of Guinness to take away the taste!

Voland
03-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Bit new to this. Anyway, is there any reason why I can't mix my protein powder to my oatmeal before nuking it in the microwave? Or even adding it to hot coffee. Would it degrade the protein? Just thinking of making breakfast a bit more tasty. Thanks for any advise.

I don't think so. I cook protein pancakes, waffles, cookies and i belive protein properties are the same.

Por2gue
03-21-2009, 02:24 AM
Don't get it real hot.

62"diesel
03-22-2009, 03:50 AM
i like just organic oatmeal the cinnamon kind with 2 scoops bns dessert whey cinnamon bun

Chebster
03-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Now mixing it with the oatmeal after its been out of the microwave for a minute or two. Tastes fine. Bit sweet with the Muscle Milk Cookies and Cream but well dapper with the Vanilla Gaspari protein.