PDA

View Full Version : bikini pro goes figure pro

tammyp
06-21-2010, 04:38 PM
stacey thompson just announced the switch...

Leatherhead
06-21-2010, 04:41 PM
so she won her pro card in bikini and now wants to compete as a pro figure girl?

i dont think they should be able to make the switch.

Femphysiquefan
06-21-2010, 05:11 PM
stacey thompson just announced the switch...

Too much muscle for Bikini???

FitGems
06-22-2010, 12:43 AM
I'm guessing that, but I'm not going to say that's the reason. Rather Stacey say it herself.

I would guess that because she said in an interview for her pro debut, she lost 10 pounds of muscle from when she won her pro card, and she was STILL deemed too muscular by some. Or if not too muscular, maybe too lean. That's my guess, but again, rather have Stacey tell us why she made the decision.

Either way, I'm happy for her and can wait to see what she does in figure! :)

GirlyMuscle
06-22-2010, 05:07 AM
I don't think any pro should be allowed to jump catagories once they become pro. If she's a bikini pro she should have to stay in bikini or make the switch and start at the bottom and requalify for national level and compete there until she wins her pro card in figure. Same with crossing over from figure to bbing.

deestar
06-22-2010, 09:51 AM
I don't think any pro should be allowed to jump catagories once they become pro. If she's a bikini pro she should have to stay in bikini or make the switch and start at the bottom and requalify for national level and compete there until she wins her pro card in figure. Same with crossing over from figure to bbing.

Agreed - I can't even believe this is an option.

Wendy
06-22-2010, 09:55 AM
I'm confused. She won her pro card in Bikini and is allowed to compete as a figure pro? Or is she going after her figure pro card now?

Gerb
06-22-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm confused. She won her pro card in Bikini and is allowed to compete as a figure pro? Or is she going after her figure pro card now?

My understanding is when you get a card, it is an IFBB Pro Card (the OP, Tammy could clarify that), not a IFBB Bikini Pro Card or IFBB Figure Pro Card. You can then compete in any IFBB Pro Division you choose.

The real hell will break loose if the NPC Mens Physique Division comes to life and a Pro Division is created in the IFBB for it and they allow crossovers, can you imagine how crossovers from Mens Physique to Mens BBing will go over lol.

The Big Sexy
06-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Best of luck to her!

Aaron Singerman
06-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Smart move. Very muscular girl to do Bikini.

sassy69
06-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Its interesting, because given the ability to move between categories, it seems viable that a pro BB might want to try Figure after years of body abuse - but on the other end, you rarely see anyone move UP in category. It seems too easy to get a Bikini card and then go compete in Figure. You spend years to aquire a BB procard, but you can get a Bikinin pro card in like 2 shows (or 1, I think in the first national show last year where you didn't even need to qualify?)

stephaniewicked
06-22-2010, 04:05 PM
It seems too easy to get a Bikini card and then go compete in Figure. You spend years to aquire a BB procard, but you can get a Bikinin pro card in like 2 shows (or 1, I think in the first national show last year where you didn't even need to qualify?)

It's totally understandable how figure, fitness and bodybuilding competitors could be upset by something like this. Bikini can be considered the "easy way into the NPC", so to jump into figure from bikini, might upset a competitor who has been training for years and earned their way to the pro ranks via one of the 'harder' divisions (or training for years and still hasn't gone pro!) At the same time though, it would be unfair to say that a bikini competitor couldn't do figure or fitness if she felt her physique had developed past that of an ideal IFBB bikini physique since there are so many IFBBs in the other divisions who have done a crossover after obtaining their professional status.

On a separate note, I do admire Stacey's physique and she appears to have more muscle mass than most of the other IFBB bikini pros so it will be interesting to see how she fares with the switch.

And yes, I believe girls were able to compete in Jr USAs last year without having previously qualified (I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was that show...)

stephaniewicked
06-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Has Stacey even competed as a pro yet? It looks like her last contest was the 2009 Jr USAs.

I would be curious to hear the background story on this... Rx should get an interview with her for Rx girl! ;)

lil mama
06-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Best of luck to her in what ever category or division she desires to compete in :yep:

LIFTstudios
06-22-2010, 05:38 PM
And yes, I believe girls were able to compete in Jr USAs last year without having previously qualified (I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was that show...)

Yes, there were no qualifications last year as it was new.

Stacey competed in the MuscleContest Bikini earlier this year.

She'll fair much better in Figure and has the genetic/physique of a figure competitor.