PDA

View Full Version : competition tan advice

KimmyT
06-24-2010, 08:47 PM
I am going back and forth about my competition tan. I am trying to decide if I should pay someone to do it or do it myself. I have always done it myself and the color has come out just fine. I am wondering if I should give the professionals a try. Any advice?

sassy69
06-24-2010, 09:18 PM
I've never had mine done 'professionally' but have done spray tan before (not Mystic Tan but sprayed on protan). A friend of mine had Jan Tana do the work at the Excaliber last December and he looked flawless w/ 2 coats. I think what you get w/ the professional spray is get it done quickly instead of multiple layers over a couple of days. Two coats over a base tan and maybe keep a bottle of touch up w/ you just in case, really does work great and you can get it done the day before the show (for a Saturday show) w/ no issue at all.

stephaniewicked
06-25-2010, 12:41 AM
I got spray tanned for my last show and it was the best thing I could have done for myself... eliminated so much stress. It's def worth the money to do so!

KimmyT
06-25-2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks ladies. I am leaning towards having it done professionally. It just seems to be less stressful.

GeminiJedi
06-25-2010, 10:07 AM
It is!! My first show my ex painted me in the bath tub--NOT OK. My second show I got spray tanned by a gal that does it professionally and is who my trainer goes to--AMAZING!! It's definitely worth the $ to get a spray tan. Also, the company that does it backstage at the shows here is really good. See if your promoter will have a tanning company on-site. They will also do touch-ups as needed.

sassy69
06-25-2010, 01:58 PM
I got spray tanned for my last show and it was the best thing I could have done for myself... eliminated so much stress. It's def worth the money to do so!

I've had excellent color on every show I"ve ever done, but the lack of drama and time required to get it done by someone at the host hotel is sometimes really worth it. Sleeping in protan for 3 nites is no fun. Traveling in protan is no fun. Slopping on protan, esp if you have to get a friend to do it, is no fun. Doing it yourself is near impossible (tho Quadsweep has mastered a method for this...) w/o pulling something.

Catwoman
06-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Definately pay to have someone spray you. I used Jan Tana the last time I competed and it was the best color I ever had on stage and it saved a lot of time. However, it was a little strange standing in the buff while a total stranger sprays you!

stephaniewicked
06-26-2010, 01:34 AM
I've had excellent color on every show I"ve ever done, but the lack of drama and time required to get it done by someone at the host hotel is sometimes really worth it. Sleeping in protan for 3 nites is no fun. Traveling in protan is no fun. Slopping on protan, esp if you have to get a friend to do it, is no fun. Doing it yourself is near impossible (tho Quadsweep has mastered a method for this...) w/o pulling something.

One night is bad enough... I can't imagine 3, plus traveling! :hypno:

I have been wanting to learn to spray tan for a while now, to add it to my cosmetic background. Seems like it could pay for itself rather quickly. It's definitely a good skill to have in this industry!

sassy69
06-26-2010, 02:48 AM
One night is bad enough... I can't imagine 3, plus traveling! :hypno:

I have been wanting to learn to spray tan for a while now, to add it to my cosmetic background. Seems like it could pay for itself rather quickly. It's definitely a good skill to have in this industry!

A bottle of protan and a compressor, and then work out a well-ventilated area. Or whatever tan stuff you want to use.