PDA

View Full Version : Accutane

Diabetic Muscle
06-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Who has experience with this and what was your dosing protocol? What were the sides and how severe? Seems like the docs will either do a high dosage short duration dosing or a low dosage long duration.

BEAST MODE
06-25-2010, 04:00 PM
I had to use it in middle school because I had acne. It dried my whole body out so bad my skin would crack and bleed. No amount of moisturizer helped either. I will never use the shit again. I'll just deal w/ acne as a side.

Diabetic Muscle
06-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Do you remember the dose your used? A little acne is fine the shit that has infested my back is now working around to my chest is unacceptable.

Mr.Bones
06-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Find some creme or some shit, accutane is linked to many health problems and your skin will be so dry stretch marks will be fucking crazy

BEAST MODE
06-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Do you remember the dose your used? A little acne is fine the shit that has infested my back is now working around to my chest is unacceptable.

No idea what my dosage was bro...it's been like 12 years ago.

Find some creme or some shit, accutane is linked to many health problems and your skin will be so dry stretch marks will be fucking crazy

True...lots of law suits around it right now because of it's link to IBD and some other digestive tract issues. I haven't researched the truth behind the claims, but I do know what I experienced w/ it. And dry, cracking, bleeding, painful skin is not worth it.

Diabetic Muscle
06-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Bones I've tried everything I can possible thing of, I am naturally prone to acne so with the additional hormones I doubt its gonna go away without some strong meds. I seem to remember heavy saying he used 20mg for a couple of months and had very few sides. I've talked to 4 different pharmacists 2 of which have used accutane themselves and with a conservative dosing protocol seems like the sides are manageable.

Gunners
06-25-2010, 04:19 PM
^^ give it a go.

Diabetic Muscle
06-25-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm a little gun shy gunners. The sides are quite horrible if you don't run it right so more experienced comments and research is needed. I tend to be very thorough before I start a new drug.

Curt James
06-25-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm a little gun shy gunners. The sides are quite horrible if you don't run it right so more experienced comments and research is needed. I tend to be very thorough before I start a new drug.

You're not planning on just picking some up and using it without proper medical supervision, are you?

Signed,
Mr. Mom

Bones I've tried everything I can possible thing of, I am naturally prone to acne so with the additional hormones I doubt its gonna go away without some strong meds. I seem to remember heavy saying he used 20mg for a couple of months and had very few sides. I've talked to 4 different pharmacists 2 of which have used accutane themselves and with a conservative dosing protocol seems like the sides are manageable.

Talk to a dermatologist.

I used it and, like richwa, the sides were severe, but after I was done with it the cystic acne was vaporized. Done. Dead. Gone forever.

Yeah, I get the occasional zit and I continue to have oily skin (that returned after discontinuation of the drug), but the monster cystic acne? Obliterated. I mean it was on my back and it was bad. BAD.

If you have painful cystic acne then Accutane is the drug for you. I used it back in 1984. Had blood drawn regularly to monitor the drug's impact on my liver, I believe.

Haven't suffered an long-term ill effects that I'm aware of.

Besides the dried out and cracking skin, I suffered spot alopecia, a tiny bald patch on my now chrome dome.

retwa
06-25-2010, 05:10 PM
The side effects, for most people, are not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. It's mainly so restricted, from women, because if they take it and get pregnant, it will cause birth defects.

I would start at a dose of .5mg/kg, which is on the low side, and if you don't respond, you'd probably want to go up to 1mg/kg. And you would take it for 4-6 months. Don't take it with anything that's liver toxic either.

Curt James
06-25-2010, 05:12 PM
^Avoid the sun as well, but you'll note that in your research, definitely.

Big Sky Guy
06-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Most people do not get the cracked lips/bleeding unless they are taking 40 plus mg per day. You will get good results at 40 a day for several months.

And as Curt says, stay out of the sun unless you coat yourself in sunblock.

Diabetic Muscle
06-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Thanks guys, Heavy stated 20mg for 4-5 months cleared 90% of his acne. So that appears to be where I will start. I wonder if I should do my 4 weeks of dbol before I start the accutane? Is it that liver toxic at such a low dose?

Gunners
06-25-2010, 06:54 PM
Dosing depends on weight and severity of the acne. Like someone said 0.5mg/kg is a good starting point and should be run for 4-6 months. You can use 20mg too but you are more likely to need using accunate again in the future.

Google - Isotretinoin for the chemical profile, sides are manageable it would appear.

devo09
06-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Well, I had only mild acne and i've been running 40mg for the last 2 months, and NOTHING works even close to accutane NOTHING...
My sides have been dry skin (pretty mild), watery eyes (use some eyedrops), and at first I had some big-time phlemg I was coughing up but that was gone in a few weeks..
In my experience, sides are VERY VERY mild, and the results are ridiculously good, it makes me want to kick myself in the ass for not trying it years ago

HammerStrength12
06-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Took it in high school, missed over an entire year of sports because of it. Muscles were fatigued and I was exhausted 24/7. Had a horrible experience on it

*RedStar*
06-25-2010, 10:11 PM
if you just want to keep the acne at bay and control it from getting wild on cycles then just take 40mgs a day, for full treatment I think you need about 1mg per 1kg of bodyweight, somewhere around there.. be careful with this stuff, i would not take it without the supervision of your doctor, its very harsh on the kidneys and liver, I have taken 40mgs a day while on tren and it helped a ton.. the sides were minimal as thats a low dose for someone over 100kgs.

retwa
06-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Dosing depends on weight and severity of the acne. Like someone said 0.5mg/kg is a good starting point and should be run for 4-6 months. You can use 20mg too but you are more likely to need using accunate again in the future.

Yea. If you want to actually get rid of the acne, you need .5-1mg/kg ED for a solid 4-6 months. Lower doses can help, but a higher CUMULATIVE dose is directly linked to a low chance of future recurrence. And I wouldn't take accutane at the same time as dbol...

lartinos
06-26-2010, 02:27 AM
I have heard it is linked to suicide. Strange side effect.

Gunners
06-26-2010, 08:32 AM
I have heard it is linked to suicide. Strange side effect.

Depression and suicidal thoughts is a side effect. Take this with a pinch of salt! Just have a look at the side effects from vitamin C. A conservative dose isn't gonna make you jump off a cliff.

Curt James
06-26-2010, 01:05 PM
It was a Godsend for me. Cystic acne is a mother [expletive deleted]. Accutane stopped it in its tracks.

Silidons
06-26-2010, 06:01 PM
i too had cystic acne on my back, chest, and behind my ears/rear neck area. hell sometimes i would get them ON the back of my ear, that's fucking pain man.

doc put me on 80mg/day for a few months (4 or 5 i think??) and i have YET to have one of those fucking cysts come back. i had scars all over my back and upper chest from acne...accutane was a fucking godsend.

get AQUAPHOR for your lips, you'll need it! i had to lotion up my arms everyday because if i didn't i would get so dry that it looked like i had a damn disease of lumps and shit on my arm/elbow area. it's a good idea to put on everything as soon as you wake up, and right before you go to bed (waking up with cut lips isn't cool).

edit: i still lifted while on it. i have heard people say that they had dry joints etc, but if you drink enough water (i was drinking about 1 1/2 gallons a day) it should help from my experience.

Diabetic Muscle
06-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Heavy posted this article so I think this protocol will do just fine for me.

Low-dose isotretinoin in the treatment of acne vulgaris.

Amichai B (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22Amichai%20B%22%5BAuthor%5D), Shemer A (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22Shemer%20A%22%5BAuthor%5D), Grunwald MH (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22Grunwald%20MH%22%5BAuthor%5D).
Huzot Clinic of Clalit Health Services, Ashkelon, Israel.

BACKGROUND: The efficacy of isotretinoin at 0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg per day in the treatment of acne is well established and considered safe, although it is sometimes not easily tolerated because of its cutaneous side effects. OBJECTIVE: The purpose of this study was to determine the efficacy of low-dose isotretinoin in the treatment of acne. METHODS: In this prospective, noncomparative, open-label study, 638 patients, both male and female, with moderate acne were enrolled and treated with isotretinoin at 20 mg/d (approximately 0.3-0.4 mg/kg per day) for 6 months. The patients were divided into two age groups: 12 to 20 and 21 to 35 years old. Patients were evaluated at 2-month intervals by means of clinical and laboratory examinations. A 4-year follow-up was also carried out. RESULTS: At the end of the treatment phase, good results were observed in 94.8% of the patients aged 12 to 20 years, and in 92.6% of the patients aged 21 to 35 years. Failure of the treatment occurred in 5.2% and 7.4% of the two groups, respectively. Twenty-one patients dropped out of the study because of lack of compliance, and another patient discontinued participation because of a laboratory side effect. During the 4-year follow-up period, relapses of the acne occurred in 3.9% of the patients aged 12 to 20 years and in 5.9% of the patients aged 21 to 35 years. Elevated serum lipid levels (up to 20% higher than the upper limit of normal value) were found in 4.2% of the patients and abnormal (<twice the upper limit of normal values) liver tests were observed in 4.8%. LIMITATIONS: This was a noncomparative, open-label study. CONCLUSION: Six months of treatment with low-dose isotretinoin (20 mg/d) was found to be effective in the treatment of moderate acne, with a low incidence of severe side effects and at a lower cost than higher doses.

PMID: 16546586 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Silidons
06-26-2010, 06:07 PM
if you have normal acne, then you don't need accutane. you just don't take care of your skin very good. i treat my skin better than some girls i know, still get the "normal" acne on my face and neck every now and then. but accutane is made for the painful shit like cysts. i remember having to poke needles in my cysts to drain them because they hurt so bad...filled with blood and pus!

Diabetic Muscle
06-26-2010, 06:32 PM
As I have stated I have tried conventional treatments and am still having the issue. I see no reason to not try accutane.

sqd5driver
06-26-2010, 06:55 PM
I used it when I was 19 and it cleared me up in about 12 weeks at 60mg per day. About a year ago, I started to get some nasty cystic acne and went back on for 6 months at 40-60mg per day. It didn't do a damn thing. I finally went to a second dermatologist up at the Mayo hospital in Jacksonville, Florida. He took one look and said "MRSA". I nearly had a stroke! MRSA is some nasty stuff... but he explained that there are milder versions and that the term MRSA is sort of broad. Long story short, we cultured it, it was MRSA, and 6 weeks of low dose antibiotics cleared me up good as new with no side effects.

The doc also explained that MRSA and other similar cooties are very easy to pick up in the gym and pretty much any public place. Once you get that shit, it isn't gonna go away by itself.

The point to all of this is to give some friendly advice and suggest you have your dermatologist do a culture. If it IS something bacterial in nature, chances are a mild antibiotic and a little bit of UV exposure (not always recommended while on antibiotics, I know) will most likely clear you up with zero sides and at a MUCH lower cost to you.

jnickels
06-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Go to a doctor and have them prescribe it for you and follow their care. This is not a drug to buy off some internet site and just start popping them. There are some rough sides that come with it so be careful. For the dry skin, take COOl showers, drink lots of water (moreso than you are now) and keep a good moisturizer on hand; my derm recommended Aquaphor and worked great as long as i stayed on top of it. Joint pain sucked, i would say kiss heavy lifting goodbye for the duration. My doctor had me on 5 months @ 90mg/day i believe. It was hard but i survived and couldn't be happier. I get the occassional zit here and there but i don't think it'll ever go away completely.

Don't half-ass it like i said, have a doctor run you through a PROPER course of it so you don't have to have it come back. I had a friend that would always take a low dose of it when he was on and his shit never got better and he was killin his progress because he couldn't lift heavy/hard from joint pain. do it right the first time. :)

The one thing that i didn't like was the way it fucked with my mood. I would get bad swings from it. Happy, mad, depressed and back to the beginning again. But it never got out of control for me. Just make sure you got a few good friends around you to make sure you don't lose it ya know?

Diabetic Muscle
06-28-2010, 05:38 PM
I believe that 90mg a day has been dis-proven to be worth it when 20mg a day is sufficient. Its all well and good if I could get into seeing a dermatologist before next year. I think if you'll read through the study I posted 20mg a day offered few sides and still accomplished the same goal.

Anthony
06-28-2010, 10:49 PM
1 mg / kg is the std dose. sides at 80 mg are tolerable. As others have said, only used with medical supervision. Typical sides are tolerable, but there are more ticky rarer sides - depression, organ damage, lipid troubles...

Silidons
06-29-2010, 01:47 AM
As I have stated I have tried conventional treatments and am still having the issue. I see no reason to not try accutane.

Like what? Tell me how you care for your skin, and I will tell you how I care for mine.

For me every single day (starting from the night before) (before using and after using accutane, meaning I do this everyday even now):
1. While in shower wash face with Dove soap
2. Get out, use 2% Salicylic Acid on a cotton swab and swab entire face, upper chest, and upper back. (Nuetrogena Acne Stress Control)
3. Put on 10% Benzoyl Peroxide on entire face, and both the front and back neck. (Clearasil)
4. Go to sleep
5. Wake up, wash off the Benzoyl Peroxide
6. Wash face with 2% Salicylic Acid (Clean & Clear Advantage 3-in-1 foaming acne wash).
7. Once dry and shaven, use 2% Salicylic Acid on cotton swab and swab entire face (Nuetrogena Acne Stress Control)
8. Every 2-3 hours repeat #7
9. Before leaving for gym, use the swab again
10. Directly after the gym, use swab again
11. Shower, repeat from step 1

Do you do all of that? I highly doubt it...

Diabetic Muscle
06-29-2010, 01:50 AM
Like what? Tell me how you care for your skin, and I will tell you how I care for mine.

For me every single day (starting from the night before) (before using and after using accutane, meaning I do this everyday even now):
2. Get out, use 2% Salicylic Acid on a cotton swab and swab entire face, upper chest, and upper back. (Nuetrogena Acne Stress Control)
3. Put on 10% Benzoyl Peroxide on entire face, and both the front and back neck. (Clearasil)
4. Go to sleep
6. Wash face with 2% Salicylic Acid (Clean & Clear Advantage 3-in-1 foaming acne wash).
7. Once dry and shaven, use 2% Salicylic Acid on cotton swab and swab entire face (Nuetrogena Acne Stress Control)

You right and I see no reason to. Do you think what you do is normal? Or would be considered normal treatment? I don't. I respect your view point but I have to disagree that I should try what you do.

Dee
06-29-2010, 03:14 AM
Sensitivity to light and extremely dry skin are the most noticable.....what worries me about people using accutane and AAS is that accutane cand increase LFT values (liver enzymes) on their own....combine that with 17-alkylated orals....might not be a good idea for your liver....Also, Accutane can also raise serum trigylcerides and cholesterol...something that occurs in most that use AAS as well....

Of course this doesnt happen with everyone that uses accutane, and some AAS users have used it in combination with AAS with no consequence, just dropping my $0.02....

Dosing regimes vary.....the british national forumary states adults can dose anywhere form 0.5mg per kg bodyweight upto 1mg/kg bodyweight for 16-24 weeks.

Hope you find a solution to the problem.

Silidons
06-29-2010, 03:28 AM
You right and I see no reason to. Do you think what you do is normal? Or would be considered normal treatment? I don't. I respect your view point but I have to disagree that I should try what you do.

You can do whatever you want. You are obviously not trying hard enough to get clear skin and just want to pop a pill to get it over with. You can do whatever you want with your body but I am only trying to help you preserve it.

06-29-2010, 06:24 AM
Let me throw my $.02 in here from actual experience.....

Docs had me on 80mg/day when I was 15/16yrs old.... I was only about 150lbs then and the sides were DRY lips, scalp,fatigue, aching muscles and joints and a noticeable decrease in "good" mood days. I had TERRIBLE acne on my face and now my face is 100% clear with no scarring.(didnt take Accutane again until 25yrs old)

Currently:(25yrs old 225lbs) On 40mg/day. Sides: Dry lips, noticeable decrease in "good" mood days. That's it!! I've been back on it now for 5/6 weeks and had Systic acne ALL OVER my chest and neck. My back did not have cystic type but it looked like someone shot me with a shotgun in the back. The Cystic type on my chest is cleared about 90% and their are some red spots left behind that im hoping are not going to scar. My neck is still spotty but no cysts or white heads. Back still has lots of red spots but no new acne at all.

My last cycle I noticed some acne on my back coming in but not too bad... when I went into PCT my chest and back broke out bad but just with whiteheads and "spots". This cycle, I ran Adex throughout and Tren the last 8 weeks... The Adex brought the Cystic acne in on the chest and it spread BAD and the tren seemed to just make it worse... I'm off the tren now and just running Test and Eq with the Adex still in play. Like stated above, the cysts are 90% gone and I'm getting no new acne. I'm stoked!!

This is Research Chem Accutane I'm using btw from a lab that posts on here quite a bit. Quality product.

Diabetic Muscle
06-29-2010, 11:37 AM
You can do whatever you want. You are obviously not trying hard enough to get clear skin and just want to pop a pill to get it over with. You can do whatever you want with your body but I am only trying to help you preserve it.
Your exactly right I do want to pop a pill to get rid of the problem. Just like I inject to make my muscles grow and my strength increase. You didn't answer my questions.

Dee
06-29-2010, 11:49 AM
I think that 11 step process is somewhat excessive. If you are finding that you cant keep acne away using a simple commerical acne cleanser (neutrogena, clearsil, or even that proactive stuff) which contains either salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide.....there are RX topical preps you can get.....stronger concentrations of those same drugs, Topical antobacterial preps (ie. Clindoxyl gel) or even topical forms of Vit A derivatives (ie. topical accutane; tretinoin ("Retin-A") which may help and not produce vast systemic effects.....

There are more options than you think, try to talk to your doctor about it if possible.

Diabetic Muscle
06-29-2010, 11:57 AM
The issue is I can't get in to see a dermatologist till end of this year beginning of next. I live in a very hot area and sweat constantly. This shit needs to improve ASAP.

dbow196
06-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Six months to see a dermatologist? That seems a rather long time. Is it an insurance issue or are you in a small town?

I went to see my doctor about Acutane and his opinion was that my acne was not bad enough for it. Although he did give me the dosing protocol if I happened to start it "while not under his supervision" i.e. 10mg morning+10mg night. He gave my Doxycycline which after 3 weeks has really reduced (but not stopped) the break outs. He also suggested 30min of sun 3-4 times a week.

My point is that since you have so long to wait to see a dermatologist go get some Dox and try it out. It will be cheap and easy.

Diabetic Muscle
06-29-2010, 01:51 PM
I live in a secluded part of the country with very high income. Doctors stop taking patients halfway through the year because they coast on the wealthier patients that have lots of disposable income to treat everything imaginable.

retwa
06-29-2010, 04:20 PM

Dousing your face in benzoyl peroxide (toxic) and salicylic acid (irritant) multiple times per day will also not preserve your skin. Drying out the skin with all of these topical treatments can also make acne worse, as the body will compensate by producing more and more oil.

Cystic acne is basically non-responsive to topical treatments. Oil deep down in the skin gets stuck to skin cells and clogs up pores, where bacteria gets out of hand. This problem needs to be treated systemically, not just topically. Either antibiotics, or accutane.

OP: I would try the 50,000IU vitamin A and 10G pantothenic acid per day, along with a few days of a broad spectrum antibiotic like zithromax. If this doesn't help by the time of your dermatologist appointment, I personally would probably just order the accutane and start out at a low dose.

06-29-2010, 07:06 PM
The issue is I can't get in to see a dermatologist till end of this year beginning of next. I live in a very hot area and sweat constantly. This shit needs to improve ASAP.

Did you not read my post?.... Its available.

Diabetic Muscle
06-29-2010, 10:41 PM
Did you not read my post?.... Its available.
Yes and I will be running it 20mg daily. I was referencing people that wanted me to get tested and try other drugs before I went to accutane.

claymore1
07-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Low dose accutane works wonders for most people.

Silidons
07-04-2010, 02:03 AM
Dousing your face in benzoyl peroxide (toxic) and salicylic acid (irritant) multiple times per day will also not preserve your skin. Drying out the skin with all of these topical treatments can also make acne worse, as the body will compensate by producing more and more oil.

Cystic acne is basically non-responsive to topical treatments. Oil deep down in the skin gets stuck to skin cells and clogs up pores, where bacteria gets out of hand. This problem needs to be treated systemically, not just topically. Either antibiotics, or accutane.

he never said he had cystic acne, i did and that is why i took accutane. drying out obviously makes my acne better as my face is damn clear with the exception of 1-2 pimples every now and then. if i stop doing it, my skin gets very oily. i have scars all over my back from acne...i know how to treat my skin now :)

NPCKnight
07-05-2010, 03:38 AM
Thanks guys, Heavy stated 20mg for 4-5 months cleared 90% of his acne. So that appears to be where I will start. I wonder if I should do my 4 weeks of dbol before I start the accutane? Is it that liver toxic at such a low dose?

Its liver toxic at any dose. I just ran it for 6 months. 20mg ed. Its a fucking miracle. I didn't have it that bad....but I didn't have it nice and good either, so I decided to do it. Heavy and I started around the same time.

Look, the reason there are so many sides is that 100-140mg a day has been used on people. 20mg a day worked absolute wonders. Deal with the dry lips and dry eyes....

My skin all over is clear as fuck, pores are smaller(shrunken), and it changes your sebaceous glands which produce all the oil. I had really oily skin and just pain in the ass acne daily...now I love what I have done.

20mg/day for 6 months. Even if it clears up in 3 or 4....run it at least 5 months preferably 6. There is a purpose to the magic it creates and it needs a full run to be properly done imo.

NPCKnight
07-05-2010, 03:45 AM
Muscles and joints...may have been a bit worse than normal...but it wasnt THAT bad. Dry scalp sometimes but fixed it with proper shampoo and daily conditioning.

Before it, I would wash my face and within 20 minutes my skin would be oily as fuck...and I'd deal with that all day, daily. Now I can wash my face once a day and have it be perfectly dry even at the end of the day after training and everyday life....amazing.

I dont have to worry about any acne or how it looks anymore which would cause anxiety for me quite often even though it wasn't terrible. Its a great feeling.

NPCKnight
07-05-2010, 03:53 AM
By the way aquaphore is bullshit. It clogs pores so dont even get that. You want something non comedogenic. Cetaphil moisturizer for your face when it gets dry. Use it once and your skin will be normal/moist all day. It also heals and protects while, like I said, not clogging your pores.

Curt James
07-05-2010, 04:24 AM
I do want to pop a pill to get rid of the problem.

Then Accutane is your drug.

KILLS ZITS DEAD!

http://www.bogleech.com/buglogos/raid.jpg
SAY GOODNIGHT, CYSTIC ACNE!

Michael K. Scott
08-11-2010, 10:04 PM

4. Go to sleep

wow that sounds more technical then cleaning your fanny out

Wrex
08-11-2010, 10:43 PM
I had bad acne on my back, and chest. Some on my face too. Took this shit. Gone forever. Don't get anything anymore. If I do its like one small one in a random spot.

The sides were harsh while I was on it. Lips got sooooo dry they would hurt like hell, and were cracked, and dried.... Had to put on medicated lip balm constintly. That was the worst side I felt.

Your very sensitive to the sun. They tell you not to drink while on it at all. (I did, but I cut back from what i usually drank). And I would get random bloody noses.

But it does completly get rid of acne forever. I don't have any health problems from it now that I know about....

lartinos
08-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Acnetame is a new supplement of mine and is carried at needtobuildmuscle.net
Here is what it contains. You guys can say what you want about it. Feel free as
it does work and is selling. I came out with this because it is alternative to dangerous drugs like accutane.

contents: 2 tablets per serving and 30 servings
Vitamin A 5,000iu
B3 50mg
Biotin 300mcg
B5 1500mg
Selenium 200mcg
chromium 120mcg
NAC 300mg
Co-Q10 15mg
piperine 6mg