PDA

View Full Version : Birth Control and Weight Gain

InHonorInMind
06-28-2010, 06:31 PM
I'm not sure if this has been clearly answered, but I couldn't find a thread on it so thought I'd post it here:

Birth Control and Weight Gain. . .

If weight loss is really as 'simple' (generally speaking) as calories in vs calories output....then why if you take Birth Control is it possible to gain weight??

I've been on Lutera ( .1mg Levonorgestrel / .02mg Ethinyl Estradiol) for one month now. The first month I didn't notice really any changes except for consistant bleeding due to the start of BCP. Then the past 2 weeks, I noticed being incredibly moody/anxiety (which I just read is a side effect) and more importantly have not been able to lose weight. In fact I have gained 3 pounds!? I have been EXTREMELY strict on my diet and have increased the intesity and amount of cardio I have been doing, and somehow I gained weight...which seems IMPOSSIBLE if I'm in a caloric deficit.

My only theory is that due to the increase in estrogen, my body is basically storing everything I eat as fat no matter how little it is.

Is there any facts to this or does anyone know why you can GAIN WEIGHT even though you are in a caloric deficit ???

musclemilf
06-28-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm not sure if this has been clearly answered, but I couldn't find a thread on it so thought I'd post it here:

Birth Control and Weight Gain. . .

If weight loss is really as 'simple' (generally speaking) as calories in vs calories output....then why if you take Birth Control is it possible to gain weight??

I've been on Lutera ( .1mg Levonorgestrel / .02mg Ethinyl Estradiol) for one month now. The first month I didn't notice really any changes except for consistant bleeding due to the start of BCP. Then the past 2 weeks, I noticed being incredibly moody/anxiety (which I just read is a side effect) and more importantly have not been able to lose weight. In fact I have gained 3 pounds!? I have been EXTREMELY strict on my diet and have increased the intesity and amount of cardio I have been doing, and somehow I gained weight...which seems IMPOSSIBLE if I'm in a caloric deficit.

My only theory is that due to the increase in estrogen, my body is basically storing everything I eat as fat no matter how little it is.

Is there any facts to this or does anyone know why you can GAIN WEIGHT even though you are in a caloric deficit ???

If your hormones are not in balance to begin with, yes BC can negatively impact weight maintenance and reduction. Estradiol is a notorious water retention agent. Progesterone (which works in opposition to estradiol) offsets this retention effect during ovulation. Your P level may be out of whack, although progesterone can cause anxiety, bloating, digestive issues, etc. is some women, too much estradiol can also cause anxiety and moodiness. In short, you should try another BC with different progesterone and estradiol ratios. This hormone stuff is a crap shoot.

tight booty
06-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Birth control pills trick the body into believing it is pregnant. What do most women do when they are pregnant? They gain weight. Some of it will definitely be just water though.
I will give you an example. My best friend a few years ago went on the pill. She starting gaining weight. Her eating hadn't changed and she was still working out training 4-5 times per week. So she began doing cardio early in the morning every single day for about an hour or more. She could not lose the extra weight she had gained no matter what she did....she even adjusted her diet really strict. So after about 6 months she went off the pill and wham, the weight just fell off and she wasn't even doing the early morning cardio anymore or being strict on her diet.

musclemilf
06-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Birth control pills trick the body into believing it is pregnant. What do most women do when they are pregnant? They gain weight. Some of it will definitely be just water though.
I will give you an example. My best friend a few years ago went on the pill. She starting gaining weight. Her eating hadn't changed and she was still working out training 4-5 times per week. So she began doing cardio early in the morning every single day for about an hour or more. She could not lose the extra weight she had gained no matter what she did....she even adjusted her diet really strict. So after about 6 months she went off the pill and wham, the weight just fell off and she wasn't even doing the early morning cardio anymore or being strict on her diet.

Bingo! that's a true statement. However, the side effects shouldn't be so severe, that tells me something is out of whack especially that you describe moodiness and anxiety. Also, the weight gain is likely too much estradiol and not enough progesterone. I'd still explore other pill options if I were you. Anxiety sucks.

sassy69
06-29-2010, 01:03 AM
I had been on birth control from 1985 until 2005 and can't say I really experienced anything dramatic. I asked one of my OB/GYNs about it when I started prep for my first show in 2000 - he said, based on the particular pill (Tri-Levilin / Tri-Phasal). I was on at the time, that it shouldn't have impacted anything. (I went off for the duration of my prep even so.)

Two things I would offer before running around panicking - 1) ask your doc if what you're on is, or if there are options that are as low as possible in terms of hormone dosing. The stuff I've always been on has been very, very low. And 2), you've only been on the new one for a month - it can often take 2-3 months for your body to settle into a new B/C pill. At that point if you're still experiencing the mood swings and all, then I'd explore other options, based on your doc's response to 1).

All in all, 3 lb is not particularly dramatic as I can have 3-5 lb swings over a few days. I would go more by how your clothes fit or if you notice that its actually water or bodyfat. I've dropped 8% bodyfat and 2 lbs during one of my past contest preps, so I generally don't get too excited about "weight" and more about bodyfat.

But I would absolutely talk to your doc about your mood swings and see if there are other options. My experience w/ during all those years on b/c was that the DAY OF (the day TMOTM starts) I notice I'm much more moody than I should be for the usual given stresses of the day, and then it passes by the next day.

InHonorInMind
06-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Thanks guys!!!! Its really reassuring that I'm not 'just crazy'. I have had INTENSE mood swings and emotional irrational outburst over the past 2 weeks that I didn't know what was going on! I felt like I had no control over my emotions what - so - ever. Even now that I know 'what' is causing these irrational mood swings, I still am having a hard time controlling them....I started to think I was just f'ing mental!? Normally I'm fairly laid back, but this past week I've felt completely on edge about EVERYTHING. Then once I calm down or walk away from the situation, I'm like "what the hell was I thinking?"....LOL....Its almost like the 'incredible hulk'.....I'm happy you guys provided some insight and I know what the culprit is now and how to fix it. I'm going to call my doc today and see when I can stop taking it....I heard one week after unprotected sex inorder to prevent pregnancy? Honestly I'm soooo sick of feeling 'not me' that I want to stop right now... =( I hate how irrational and overly anxious I am.

Just FYI, I looked up theses side effects....dear god...should have known I am pretty much experiencing ALL of them:

Lutera Common side effects
The following are side effects known to be common of Lutera and they are experienced by users. These are common, side effects but if you feel uneasy or they persist do not hesitate to contact your physician.

Mild upset stomach
Increased or decreased appetite
Fatigue
Weight gain
Nausea
Breakthrough bleeding and spotting that continues beyond the 3 initial cycles of pills
Skin rash, acne or brown spots on the skin
Increased sensitivity to sun or ultraviolet light
Breast enlargement, tenderness, unusual discharge or milk production
Mood changes, anxiety, depression, frustration, anger or emotional outburst

...and I guess with regards to my main question, the weight gain is just your body getting ready for 'pregnancy' therefore holding 'fat' and water weight....

So basically....when I stop taking the pill...I should begin dropping weight and be 'MENTALLY NORMAL' again..........sigh. I'm ready NOW. =( Hopefully all the people in my life will be supportive and understand what I'm going through. This is crazy. Who would have thought.

sassy69
06-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Especially when you're going thru any sort of hormone flux this stuff can be really wild while your body is trying to find a balance. You might also consider Nuvaring. Very low dosing b/c - I used it for a couple yrs before I switched over to an IUD. I've been very lucky in that I've never had any big issues w/ b/c. I did try switching once (I think my doc misunderstood me and thought I wanted a different brand than what I was using - 2 weeks of suckass life.) I guess some will argue its better to not be on b/c at all, but I guess erring on the side of no unwanted pregnancies, find the lowest dose that works well w/ your body chemistry and you're golden.

InHonorInMind
06-29-2010, 01:37 PM
Especially when you're going thru any sort of hormone flux this stuff can be really wild while your body is trying to find a balance. You might also consider Nuvaring. Very low dosing b/c - I used it for a couple yrs before I switched over to an IUD. I've been very lucky in that I've never had any big issues w/ b/c. I did try switching once (I think my doc misunderstood me and thought I wanted a different brand than what I was using - 2 weeks of suckass life.) I guess some will argue its better to not be on b/c at all, but I guess erring on the side of no unwanted pregnancies, find the lowest dose that works well w/ your body chemistry and you're golden.

Yeh I tried the Nuvaring before and the only issues I had with it were nausea and just having a 'ring' inside you the whole time and constantly worrying if it will fall out etc....but mentally and weightloss wise there was no issue. I think I just want to stay away from bc all together for a month or more and get sorted. I've NEVER felt this insane...and frankly its un-nerving.

GeminiJedi
06-29-2010, 02:29 PM
I have always been on low-dose pills, too, but some give me BAD sides, and the one I've been on for 6 years now has been great! It takes your body time to adjust.

I had one that I was on when I first went on the pill that did make me MOODY AS HELL. I called up my doctor and had it switched right away, and I was a whole new, LESS MOODY person. It's all about finding the right combination that works best for your body.

musclemilf
06-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks guys!!!! Its really reassuring that I'm not 'just crazy'. I have had INTENSE mood swings and emotional irrational outburst over the past 2 weeks that I didn't know what was going on! I felt like I had no control over my emotions what- so - ever. Even now that I know 'what' is causing these irrational mood swings, .

Our primary sex hormones are powerful stuff. Our reproductive system is not only a nifty set-up, it's complexity really sets us distinctly apart from "the males". Men don't have the peaks and valleys every month, things that cause sudden drops in hormones like right after childbirth or the time leading up to menopause. Any sudden or prolonged disruption with our sex hormones can cause impact the other 30 something hormones (thyroid is usually the first to get it's ass kicked) in our body. The aging process is sort of a prolonged disruption. Things just start down regulating over time.

Aside from environmental or situational stressors, out of whack hormones can have a profound effect on your mood and make you feel like you're crazy or so depressed you can't get out of bed. All too often, antidepressants or benzos are thrown at women by doctors who aren't knowledgable with women's hormones or care to be. Knowledge is power for us women. We have to own our bodies :yep:

InHonorInMind
06-29-2010, 06:59 PM
NO JOKE!!!! I never had sides like this so at first I was like 'hmmm maby I'm just skitzo!?' HAHA! But after one or two mood swings in a row...I was like wtf......this is NOT who I am, and hence the post! You guys are great! :hmn:

UPDATE:

Called my doc and told her what was going on and she said I could go off it immediately. She actually said they have girls call in about once a month reporting this....gee...maby they should take this particular drug off the market?!?!! They're having me take the morning after pill just in case, but said I'm safe. She said that the side effects will start to subside after 3 days......I hope it starts RIGHT AWAY!!! LOL! I want my self back! HA AH !

Its going to be FUN to see how carefree I can be again and.....perhaps a nice little weight drop?? :yep:

OMEGA
08-21-2010, 11:37 PM
sorry to post here I am a male:)

my last GF got an IUD, the 5 year one ( i told her to get it)

No problems, no fat gain from hormones

here was her back pic:

http://i34.tinypic.com/9fv2bl.jpg