PDA

View Full Version : Novice Photographer

fatbackgoal
06-30-2010, 05:21 PM
I have a question for the female competitors (figure, bb, bikini, fitness). My wife is a very good photographer and I was telling her that she should think about going to a local show and shooting some pictures and perhaps seeing if someone would like to do a photo shoot. What I need from all of you is:

1- What would be the best way to approach people about doing a shoot?
2- What should she offer to these folks for taking the photos?
3- How much time should she ask to do this?

Thanks for your help. This is something I think she could really be good at.

stephaniewicked
06-30-2010, 05:56 PM
I'm sure the more experienced models and photographers could add more helpful info, but...

1. It's as simple as walking up to someone, introducing herself, giving a business card (even if it's just a simple homemade one with name and contact information - link to past work, if available) and asking if they are interested. Using social networks is another great way to connect with people. Then she can schedule something before their show or immediately after (before the competitor gets their post-show eating on!)

2. Lots of photogs I know (especially ones just starting out) do trades. In exchange for your wife taking the photos and being able to use them to build her portfolio, the model gets to keep the pix and use them for their websites, model portfolio, etc.

3. Do you mean how much time should she schedule for a shoot? I think no less than an hour, but no more than two... depends on how many wardrobe changes there are and where the creativity of the shoot takes them.

sassy69
06-30-2010, 07:07 PM
^^ good advice.

I might suggest starting out w/ friends or talking to people at shows before approaching them directly w/ a business deal. At shows it can get a little weird because there are so many schmoes and just plain old creepy guys w/ cameras who say they are photographers. Just much easier to start w/ people you know or someone you've established a rapport w/, and then let the experiences for both your wife and the models work out the kinks and help finetune the process or approach she would like to take as a photographer of physique competitors, and how she can present herself.

For the most part photographers, esp of the women, operate by reputation and I'd advice any female competitor to only work w/ people who have a good reputation w/in the industry already. So to that end, you'd want to start building that reputation - amongst people locally and then up to the larger shows that you might be attending. From there, there's a name that people can put to the experience and the photos, a portfolio she can have to show and word of mouth to carry it further.

Just to get her started, I might even suggest she gets on the forums and start getting to know the competitors & other photographers who post here or who are posted about. When are they competing, what they like or don't like about photoshoots, etc.

~gymdiva~
06-30-2010, 08:18 PM
one major plus (and don't laugh): SHE'S A WOMAN! this is probably going to help her a lot at the start as more female competitors would probably find the "schmoe factor" missing as a major plus....and it is a totally different experience to shoot with a female as opposed to a male....we need more like her working the national scene :)

sassy69
06-30-2010, 10:57 PM
one major plus (and don't laugh): SHE'S A WOMAN! this is probably going to help her a lot at the start as more female competitors would probably find the "schmoe factor" missing as a major plus....and it is a totally different experience to shoot with a female as opposed to a male....we need more like her working the national scene :)

A big thought I had as well!

Ibarramedia
06-30-2010, 11:00 PM
Other female competitors/photographers who are good are Annie Rivieccio and Maryann Glascock. If you ever meet them, seek their advice. Tre' Scott is also a good photographer as is Genex Hwang.

fatbackgoal
07-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Thanks everyone for your feedback. We don't have many shows around us (Iowa) but will try to get out and hopefully by the Arnold be able to have her work with some folks. She is very excited about the possibilities.

sassy69
07-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Thanks everyone for your feedback. We don't have many shows around us (Iowa) but will try to get out and hopefully by the Arnold be able to have her work with some folks. She is very excited about the possibilities.

I would get her on the boards where there are competitors and if you guys feel like roadtripping, the North Americans is being held in Cleveland the first weekend of September for something close.