PDA

View Full Version : Can supplements prevent the common cold?

Joshua H
02-09-2009, 10:21 AM
http://www.nsca-lift.org/Perform/articles/080106.pdf

A few select supplements can actually help prevent or reduce the duration of the common cold! Check it out above and stock up to prevent sick time and keep your ass in the gym!

dvsness
02-09-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm a big fan of an antioxidant product called Vigor (contains grape seed extract, bilberry powder, cranberry powder, prune powder, raspberry seed powder, resveratrol, quercetin, tart cherry powder, Vitamin C, Vitamin E Acetate, Thiamin hcl, riboflavin, niacinamide, pyridoxine hcl, folic acid). I also like Glutamine for general health - and frequent hand washing, especially if you come in contact with a lot of people as I do (NYC subway commuter).

TigerUpperCut
02-09-2009, 11:25 AM
i was always told take vit C

maxititer
02-10-2009, 01:06 AM
I'm a big fan of an antioxidant product called Vigor (contains grape seed extract, bilberry powder, cranberry powder, prune powder, raspberry seed powder, resveratrol, quercetin, tart cherry powder, Vitamin C, Vitamin E Acetate, Thiamin hcl, riboflavin, niacinamide, pyridoxine hcl, folic acid). I also like Glutamine for general health - and frequent hand washing, especially if you come in contact with a lot of people as I do (NYC subway commuter).

that is very good topic to discuss for sure, how many times some ones preparations for show, or bulking cycle were ruined by common cold. This problem more often happens with endurance athletes, especially in winter sports, but actual for powers ports too.

Vit C, Echinacea, Glutamin is great things no doubts.

But considering how much serious this matter can be, that would be good to think about some more serious counter measures and faster we will react easier we can get away from danger zone.

Best drug, especially for AAS users is naltrexon, it is great immunomodulator and also can help to prevent HTPA suppression on long cycle. In case of any symptoms of cold take 3-6 mg of naltrexon and you will be fine, while all others around you will can be eating hands full of paracetamol and antibiotics. I had been using naltrexon my self during last two years and it have been used by number of athletes, who in touch with me, results are always great.

Another thing I would recommend is always to have easy available antibiotic : azythromicin. To get sick during preparation or show can be serious jeopardy with few week of track and God know how to recover after that. So, always would be better to take azythromicin even as precautionary measure.

MichaelWayne
02-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Don't know about you guys, but just eating normally keeps me healthy. If I take a day and skip a couple meals I can almost bet that the next morning my throat is going to hurt and that days gym session is going to lag.

dvsness
02-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Best drug, especially for AAS users is naltrexon, it is great immunomodulator and also can help to prevent HTPA suppression on long cycle. In case of any symptoms of cold take 3-6 mg of naltrexon and you will be fine, while all others around you will can be eating hands full of paracetamol and antibiotics. I had been using naltrexon my self during last two years and it have been used by number of athletes, who in touch with me, results are always great.

Another thing I would recommend is always to have easy available antibiotic : azythromicin. To get sick during preparation or show can be serious jeopardy with few week of track and God know how to recover after that. So, always would be better to take azythromicin even as precautionary measure.

Great input; thanks!

Big Poppa Pump
02-11-2009, 08:41 AM
About 3 years ago I was extremely ill with virtigo(an ear problem/meneurs) at that time I was basically useless for almost a year, I couldnt walk, drive, or do anything without getting sick. The Doctors said there was nothing he or I could do, I would basically have to live a lesser life because of this illness. So being the skeptic that I am, I f@cking hate doctors, so I started doing my own research. I tried numerous things but nothing worked. Then I came across a very old artical about lack of sunlight exposure and its effects on the body, so logically the one thing the body produces from sun exposure is Vitamin D, so I went on down to the local grocery store and bought a bottle of Vitamin D for $3.00(it was no easy task getting there when you have virtigo).

Yep just regular Vitamin D, I literally took 1 tab of Vitamin D and 10 minuted later I was fine. I had literally given up, and wasted a year of my life, and 1 tab of vitamin D reserected me.

From that point on I have taken 400iu of vitamin D/day on top of my multi vitamin. Then I came to realise, hey I havent had a cold in over a year, coincidence????? I have had the flu I think 2 times in the last couple years, but not to the extent that everyone else gets it, I never have the sniffles or anything at ALL!!!!! If I do feel the virtigo coming back slightly, I simply up my dose to 1000iu for a couple days and I return back to normal.

I m a skeptic, I m not into conspiracy theories at all, but man it frustrated the hell out of me that the medical field completely neglects to recognize the effects of simple remedies. Basically if a drug company isnt pushing it, you definately wont get a prescription for it. When is the last time someone recieved a prescription for protein powder????? Never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why??? Because a proper diet is key to health and recovery and I have come to realise that this whole F@cked up health system revolves around the fact that it needs people to be sick in order to function. Medicine is a buisness and people need to realise that Doctors rely on repeat customers. You are not a patient, you are a customer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for my rant!!! If I offended any Doctors take it as a challenge to make sure that you dont fit this stereotype, because this is my opinion and my experience. I m sure there are some Great Cutting Edge Doctors, but I have simply yet to have met one. All the doctors I have met have a pen and prescription pad permanently glued to their sticky little fingers.

Bodybuilders have always been ahead of our time and I feel we are the part of society that has taken our lives and health into our own hands, we have chosen to understand our own bodies and it is for that reason that the rest of the world is always 10 years behind what we all do right now!!!!

BIG POPPA PUMP

dvsness
02-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Another great product I almost forgot is called Wellness Formula from Source Naturals. But get the caps - the tabs taste horrible!!

tito72
02-12-2009, 05:34 AM
I gotta say Juice Plus is awesome. Been using it for 18 months and haven't been sick once.

fathommm
02-19-2009, 01:22 AM
...I have found oregano oil and cold fx to help...............the suggestions on this thread are interesting...

Dee
02-19-2009, 08:51 AM

Im going to disagree with you here (respectfully of course :)).
Azithromycin or any antibiotic shoud be taken in a proper course. and i dont think taking it as a "precautionary measure" is a good idea. Most "bugs" people get are viral (ie the cold or flu), in which an antibiotic will do nothing, and may even make matters worse by allowing the virus to flourish opportunistically as the antibiotic kills endogenous flora (friendly bacteria).
Also, i personally believe alowing ppl to dose antibiotics without a doctors supervision is irresponsible on many levels. Under dosing antibiotics can allow bacterial infections (if a person does have one) do develop resistance, making that bug totally unaffected by that particular antibiotic. This will not only worsen the infection for that person, but is a public health issue as well because now an even more resistant bacteria is now out there.

If they are going to dose it correctly (which depends on the type of antibiotic and the type of infection), then yes, it should be used, but it shouldnt just be used randomly, any sort of bacterial infection should be cause for consulting a physician.

As per precontest, a large proportion of people have problems with the effects antibiotics can have on the gut, the last thing you want preparing for a show. Doesnt happen to everyone, but a lot of people get this effect.

So based on that, i disagree with unadvised use of antibiotics.

As per antioxidants within supplements, vit C is easily available, and most other sources of antioxidants do the same thing, to a lesser or greater extent, i dont see a grave need for any huge variety. But they all have their merits.

Glutamine, as i have read and been told, only enhances the immune system at HUGE doses....Aids patients get it intravenously as well.....so oral glut at like 5g or something wont do much, but it wont hurt i suppose.

chucksm00th
03-13-2009, 02:56 PM
I gotta say Juice Plus is awesome. Been using it for 18 months and haven't been sick once.

Same here. Havent had a cold since i started using it

kicker
03-15-2009, 03:16 PM
The only time my wife and I really get colds is when we haven't been taking our multivitamins for a while. We kick ourselves ever time.