PDA

View Full Version : Depression and it's relation to Hormones and Neurotransmitters

Dr. Joel Nathan
03-15-2009, 04:09 PM
I am focusing this report on substance abuse issues. The risk of depression is increased with alcohol or substance abuse among other conditions. Depression is not a character defect or sign of personal weakness.

Having in a 2-week span depressed mood and marked diminished interest or pleasure plus at least 3 of the following make the diagnosis:
Significant weight loss or gain
Inability to sleep or sleeping too much
Agitation or extreme sluggishness
Feelings of worthlessness or inappropriate guilt
Fatigue
Diminished concentration or indecisiveness
Suicidal ideation

The real deal is that all feelings or emotions are associated with chemical changes in the brain. That is why meditation, exercise, massage and acupuncture all can help decrease stress and depression too. Neurotransmitters such as epinephrine, norepinephrine, serotonin, dopamine and endorphins (natural opioids made in the brain and increased by exercise) are not in balance when you’re depressed.

Also other hormones such as testosterone, estrogen and thyroid hormone deficiencies can lead to depression. Patients who are treated for Hepatitis C with interferon and ribaviron can have severe depression. It is interesting that Procrit that is sometimes used to treat anemia in these patients can also help not only elevate blood count but there are receptors to this medication in the brain that help to lessen depression.

Anabolic Androgenic Steroids in appropriate medical dosages such as is seen in the treatment of low testosterone levels in older men and in women can elevate mood and therefore decrease depression. When used in higher doses as is seen in the bodybuilding arena, mood elevation can extend to agitation, aggression and rage. This severely depletes the body of the neurotransmitters listed above. When depleted of the neurotransmitters, depression occurs.

Since testosterone production by the body is decreased when on testosterone, when one goes off this, the low testosterone levels that occur will lead in many cases to depression. The loss of size, weight or strength also leads some to feel less adequate and depressed.

Treatment is aimed at specific causes. Antidepressants can help, if needed. There are always side effects so the patient must be aware and educated on this. Antidepressant meds and mood stablizers are not the answer in all cases.

Sometimes, hormonal imbalances such as having low testosterone or low thyroid hormone can lead or add to depression. Medically supervised hormone replacement and monitoring is indicated in these cases.

In the case of testosterone, use of human chorionic gonadotropin post testosterone cycle will get the testes to start their own production of testosterone and decrease depression. Human Growth Hormone in the patient with documented deficiency can also help elevate mood. Psychotherapy with a social worker, psychologist or other counselor can help.

Group therapy and/or 12-step programs provide support to help depression. Just being in a group was shown to increase the survival time of women with metastatic breast carcinoma to help them live a quality and longer life than women on chemotherapy alone. Groups work.

There are a lot of unknown sources of healing of all diseases, including depression and substance abuse. This integrative medicine approach keeps me open minded to the spiritual aspects of health. Whatever mental, physical or spiritual sources that work to help one get and stay healthy need to be explored and studied.

Joel

BigJD69
03-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Crappy weather depresses me!!!

maxititer
03-18-2009, 01:33 PM
training, especially with a lot of stretching or DC style will decrease catecholamines level quite fast. I would always advise to supplement with piracetam during intensive training periods.

Dr. Joel Nathan
04-03-2009, 11:11 PM
The problem with using amino acids for their psychoactive effect is that you don't get a high enough concentration in the brain to do much with behavior.

Yes, tryptophan (5-htp) can help you sleep. If you take it with a grahm cracker or a cookie it works better because the sugar helps to transport it across the blood brain barrier.

As far as using dopamine, noreopinephrine and epineprhine precursors such as tyrosine or phenylalanine, again it just isn't strong enough to do much.

In discussions that I have had with Maxititer ( he knows his science ), I did some reading across an over the counter chemical called Piracetam. It is a "smart drug'' in that it helps to sharpen mental focus it is also in the same family as GABA. It also has a calming effect. Pireacetam tastes quite shitty so, if you decide it's for you, put the dose in your mouth and swallow it with a LOT of water. Piracetam decreases choline in your brain so it's suggested to take choline too if you're taking this more than a few times.

Sleeping better can help mood, so that besides tryptophan, the use of GABA can be helpful. It is not my intent to give doses here. Just follow the label and go slow. With GABA, people can fall asleep fast and wake up feeling great. It's also supposed to stimulate HGH production. How can you beat that!

Melatonin is also great for sleep and it's an antioxidant too.

Another OTC supplement is SAMe. Follow the directions on its label, it helps with depression.

The above is for educational purposes only, please check with your health care provider before executing any changes in your health care regimen.

Joel

training, especially with a lot of stretching or DC style will decrease catecholamines level quite fast. I would always advise to supplement with piracetam during intensive training periods.

apex23
04-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Very good information.

mman47
11-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Has anyone ever run into a situation where depression is actually increased following a cardio session? I've run into times where I'm a little depressed before the workout but after an hour of cardio, the depression has increased significantly.

Abraxas
11-30-2009, 06:58 AM
Has anyone ever run into a situation where depression is actually increased following a cardio session? I've run into times where I'm a little depressed before the workout but after an hour of cardio, the depression has increased significantly.

This most likely means your overtraining.

DannyG
12-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Crappy weather depresses me!!!

For me both crappy weather and a good cardio session make me feel a lot better.

big.poppa.pump
12-04-2009, 01:36 PM
I have always had depression issues, especially after a night of drinking. The next day would be awful. I tried anti-depressants but they made me feel giddy or suicidal depending on the day. The only cure I have found is eating healthy, working out regularly and having a decent intake of supplements. And yes melatonin and GABA are a big part of my regimen. Never knew it was actually helping, but I cold tell a difference in my moods

big.poppa.pump
12-04-2009, 01:38 PM

Def I do. I try to take a nap after my cardio, otherwise I am depressed as shit for about 6 hours

Cogrick2
12-06-2009, 08:19 AM

Why piracetam? I am familiar with it as a nootropic.

Dr. Joel Nathan
12-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Why piracetam? I am familiar with it as a nootropic.

One of the other experts I keep in contact with says you should supplement with choline if you are oln piracetam. Piracetam is like GABA. It calms one down.