PDA

View Full Version : From Bodybuilding to Powerlifting

crashcrew56
03-15-2009, 08:53 PM
I just went to a powerlifting meet this weekend to watch a friend to compete, and he was talking to me about trying out powerlifting and I've decided to give it a try. Do you all have any advice for me?

Also I know I really need to improve my grip strength, does anybody have any advice for helping my grip strength

BK
03-15-2009, 09:25 PM
You will watn to get rid of all the frivilous movements like cable work and most selectorized machine work. Don't worry about your grip as it will improve over time with heavy pulls. You will want to drop alot of your volume (repetitions), and increase your intensity (weight). Perform some speed work and max effort work every week but cycle th intensity levels in three to four week waves so you do not fry your CNS.

weightgain4000
03-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Research, research, and more research. Join a powerlifting driven gym if you can find one so you can learn the work ethic needed, so you can have others give you feedback on your technique, and so you can learn to push yourself beyond what you thought possible(learn how to really strain).

crashcrew56
03-16-2009, 12:36 AM
I'm usually don't do cable movements or use machines, and I am planning on lifting at a power lifting gym

tjoe
03-16-2009, 12:58 PM
eat big, lift bigger :)
a quick basic fix to grip... hang from a fat bar. It's been working great for me lately and it only takes a minute (literally). I hang for about 1 minute at the end of 2 of my workouts. If I can make a minute... I add weight to myself next time with a belt. Nothing fancy but it works.

LEARN the form! Benching for a big chest and a big number are completely DIFFERET animals. Same with squats. Learn the difference and think form during every single rep you do on the big 3!!

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

robert da strongman
03-16-2009, 03:25 PM
static holds...

crashcrew56
03-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Well today was my first pl workout, and I really liked it. I'm working on learning the form, it's a big change from what I'm used to, but I'm learning. I was also wearing a shirt 2day and getting used to it. Tomorrow is squat and deadlifts, and I'm really looking forward to that.

tjoe
03-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Very nice. Did the shirt tear you up pretty good?
Told ya the form would be completely different.
Tomorrow will be fun :)

Skeptic
03-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Try reading any of Louie Simmons's articles on the Westside Barbell site.

And remember to incorporate recovery into your cycles.

billy mimnaugh
03-25-2009, 09:47 AM
Grip is just a matter of getting used to holding weight with no straps.Dont use straps on anything but shrugs and maybe your top set of bent rows.You will be fine.I couldnt hang onto 405 when I first made the switch.Now I hsave never dropped a pull no matter how heavy.

HeavyDutyGuy
03-25-2009, 02:22 PM
For grip, I don't even use straps for up to 500 lbs. I'm a bodybuilder and will use them at that point, as my focus is on maxing out my muscles, not a single or my grip. For you, I'ld avoid straps.

crashcrew56
04-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Last night was my 2nd bench workout, and I started to use a brand new shirt, it's weird breaking in a new shirt. Today I had my first squat workout, I'm really enjoying the powerlifting. I'm going to try to be ready for a competition at the end of June. I do need some work on my squat form, but I'm learnig.

Irish
04-08-2009, 06:19 PM
If anyones interested in improving their functional grip strength that can benefit both bodybuilding and powerlifting, try the captains of crush!

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/ironmind/Main/captainsofcrush.html

I got the 1 and 2, and after a month I can feel the difference in different exercises like deadlifts, pull ups, rows etc...

More about the captains of crush grippers:

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:xCtgn3Isa2kJ:www.eioba.com/a81569/develop_grip_strength_that_can_explode_full_beer_c ans+catains+of+crush+olympia+couldent+close+2&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

"I remember when I was at a fitness exhibition a few years back and a good friend called came on the stand. I had been working the Captains of Crush grippers for about 6 months and could close number 2 for 1 rep. He tried but failed and frustratingly couldn’t even close the number 1, but god was he mad. This was a guy that could squat 900lbs and couldn’t close number 1 grippers.

There’s another story of a well known Mr.Olympia guy that could just nearly close number 2. I laughed when I beat him at that too. And yes, I sold many grippers on that day to all these big guys that had girly hand strength (no offence to the girls!). No surprise the powerlifter guy bought the whole set and 6 months later he showed me how he could easily close number 2 for 4 reps and how how he could now deadlift 600lbs for reps without wrist straps."

Above taken from the link

lilfella
06-06-2009, 05:11 PM
hey crashcrew hows the training goin?

crashcrew56
06-06-2009, 08:56 PM
It's going great, my first meet is coming up in 21 days, I'm really enjoying powerlifting, and I'm really starting to get used to the equipment.