PDA

View Full Version : 34 Ways to Increase Your DeadLift

Sistersteel
03-16-2009, 02:03 AM
In light of a recent PM I received from a member, I thought I would post up these 34 ways to increase your Deadlift:

Perfect your Technique

1. Learn the Olympic Lifts. The Deadlift is not a Stiff-legged Deadlift. Olympic Lifts will teach you to keep your hips down.

2. Learn to squeeze your abs. A tight core is key to lifting big weights. It’s also safer for your lower back. Brace your abs.

3. Do glute activation work. If you lockout the weight by pulling back instead of using the glutes, start doing glute activation work.

4. Improve hip mobility & flexibility. Tightness in the hip area will make it harder to use the glutes. Do some (dynamic) flexibility work.

5. Deadlift more. The more you deadlift, the better you’ll become. Try deadlifting twice a week: once light, once heavy.

6. Get starting strength by Mark Rippetoe. The best investment you will make: it will teach you the technique on the major lifts.

Increase your Strength

7. Increase your muscle mass. The bigger your muscles, the greater your strength. So eat more.

8. Use the maximal effort training method. Heavy singles at +90% intensity for 3 to 7 sets.

9. Strengthen your legs. Full Squats & Front Squats are your friends.

10. Strengthen your hips. Box Squats, Glute-Ham Raises, Pullthroughs, Reverse Hypers, Romanian Deadlifts, Sumo Deadlifts, …

11. Strengthen your glutes. Kneeling Squats, Deadlift Lockouts, …

12. Strengthen your lower back. Goodmornings, Reverse Hypers, Weighted Hyperextensions, …

13. Strengthen your upper back. Barbell Row, Powercleans, Powersnatch, High Pulls, …

14. Strengthen your abs. Windmills, Turkish Get-Ups, Front Squats, Zercher Squats, Quarters Squats, Heavy Deadlift Lockouts, Side Deadlifts, Side Bends, Pulldown Abs, Prone & Side bridges, …

15. Do unilateral work. Lunges, Step-Ups, Single-leg Deadlifts, Pistols...

Increase your Speed

16. Pull fast. Learn to pull with maximal speed by applying maximum force & acceleration to the bar.

17. Speed Deadlifts. Several sets at 70% intensity.

18. Bands. Popularized by Westside Barbell: bands will teach you to accelerate the bar.

19. Chains. Another accomodating resistance method. Chains will also teach you to accelerate the bar.

20. Box Squats. Box Squats are perfect to learn exploding from the bottom position.

Train your Sticky Point

21. Train the bottom movement. Deadlifts from blocks, Snatch-grip Deadlifts, Halting Deadlifts, Deadlifts with small plates, …

22. Train the middle movement. Rack Pulls from knee level.

23. Train the top movement. Deadlift Rack Lockouts.

Train for Power

24. Olympic Lifts. Power Cleans, Powersnatch, … will teach you to explode under the bar.

25. Plyometrics. Depth Jumps are perfect to develop leg power.

Train your Grip

26. Stop deadlifting with straps. Straps will only make your grip weaker.

27. Train your supportive grip. Static Holds, Thick Barbell Holds, Side Deadlifts, Farmer Walks, …

28. Use an alternate grip. Best way to achieve big weights.

29. Use chalk. Don’t let sweaty hands be the limiting factor.

30. Use an overhand grip as much as possible. Only use the alternate grip once you can’t handle the weight with an overhand grip.

31. Squeeze the bar. Squeeze it as hard as you can, you’ll have a better grip.

The Don’ts

32. Don't Deadlift in running shoes. They reduce power transmission & impair foot stability. Buy a pair of Converse Chuck Taylor All Star, they’re cheap & efficient.

33. Don’t use mirrors. It only gives you info on one plane. Learn to feel the movement, listen to your body.

34. Never bend your lower back. Always keep a neutral spine, brace your abs.

Ninja Loco
03-16-2009, 02:49 AM
Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!! :)

Sistersteel
03-16-2009, 10:25 AM
Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!! :)

You are so welcome :)

tjoe
03-16-2009, 12:54 PM
good post.

don't agree with #5 though... the posterior chain gets worked very hard by many different moves. It can be overtrained very easy. Sometimes I even go down to pulling every other week.

The only other comment I would have would be to identify your weak point and then work on it from the other items mentioned above. If you are not certain where your weak point is... take a video and post it so we can help out.

Nice info overall though.

Sistersteel
03-16-2009, 08:07 PM
good post.

don't agree with #5 though... the posterior chain gets worked very hard by many different moves. It can be overtrained very easy. Sometimes I even go down to pulling every other week.

The only other comment I would have would be to identify your weak point and then work on it from the other items mentioned above. If you are not certain where your weak point is... take a video and post it so we can help out.

Excellent observations tjoe! Thank you for your feedback. In general, I am glad you thought it was a good read.

SS

robert da strongman
03-16-2009, 08:26 PM
gotta agree with tjoe...i deadlift once a month. other weeks consists of romanian deads and rack deads.

GREENMACHINE23
03-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Started deadlifting again and remembered how much strength it gave me in my other lifts. Great thread. :)

italianmanMASS
03-17-2009, 02:22 AM
good post.

X2!!!! great post Sistersteel!!!

Ninja Loco
03-17-2009, 02:28 AM
gotta agree with tjoe...i deadlift once a month. other weeks consists of romanian deads and rack deads.
Im going to follow this advice, Bob. Thanks.

And thanks for the insight, tjoe!!

Skeptic
03-17-2009, 12:04 PM
6. Get starting strength by Mark Rippetoe. The best investment you will make: it will teach you the technique on the major lifts.

Yes yes yes yes yes!

Suzy Brown
03-17-2009, 12:17 PM
My grip is keeping me from moving bigger weights. I can hardly hold 90lbs for 8-10, and the 100lb bar is like sandpaper ripping thru my palms. Mine are still burning from DLs 3 hours ago.

#27... Do you twist thru your side deads or stay on one side for a set? I also find that knee on the side I'm twisted to gets irritated and I bed it to relieve that. am I doing something wrong there?

robert da strongman
03-17-2009, 12:49 PM
My grip is keeping me from moving bigger weights. I can hardly hold 90lbs for 8-10, and the 100lb bar is like sandpaper ripping thru my palms. Mine are still burning from DLs 3 hours ago.

#27... Do you twist thru your side deads or stay on one side for a set? I also find that knee on the side I'm twisted to gets irritated and I bed it to relieve that. am I doing something wrong there?

static grip...grab an end of a barbell and hold it. put weight on the end you grab and some on the other side to balance it

STRENGTH-TRAINING
03-17-2009, 06:49 PM
class

Blue and Gold
03-20-2009, 01:48 AM
This is great thank you. I don't know if I agree with doing box squats though, I may be wrong but once you get down to the box and unload in preperation for the explosive, positive portion of the lift, that would shift the stress from your muscles to your spine. Which has the potential to do more damage than good.

tjoe
03-20-2009, 10:08 AM
This is great thank you. I don't know if I agree with doing box squats though, I may be wrong but once you get down to the box and unload in preperation for the explosive, positive portion of the lift, that would shift the stress from your muscles to your spine. Which has the potential to do more damage than good.I can't speak for others but I do not "completely" unload. My back and hips stay pretty tight. Never felt anything wrong with the spine. Also, when working on "explosiveness" the load is pretty light in comparison to a 1rm so any "bad" stress to the spine would be pretty minimal.

Blue and Gold
03-21-2009, 04:23 AM
I can't speak for everyone, obviously more experienced lifters have an acute understanding of their own mechanics. But on the other hand I have seen to many people who should know better that are doing nothing but screwing themselves.

tjoe
03-21-2009, 08:42 AM
B&G - I will agree with that. I see some weird shit in the gym form some people who "should" know better. Very true. Rule #1 is ALWAYS listen to YOUR body!

Skeptic
03-21-2009, 10:05 AM
Bands and chains are old news. I wanna deadlift with Sistersteel laying on the bar.

Wait, She could probably deadlift me......

Gaaaaaaaahhh

(just got back from the gym, I'm a little pumped)

robert da strongman
03-21-2009, 02:57 PM
This is great thank you. I don't know if I agree with doing box squats though, I may be wrong but once you get down to the box and unload in preperation for the explosive, positive portion of the lift, that would shift the stress from your muscles to your spine. Which has the potential to do more damage than good.

when you sit on the box you sit straight up. then stand up from there. activating the glutes and hams. box squats require practice and strong erectors...why you should do good mornings. also these are not to be done for multiple reps...2 at the most.

BrianNassar
03-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Great thread and deadlifts are the the KING!!!

Military Might
03-23-2009, 02:33 AM
I liked this post, I disagree with #5 though, as well, because I'm a firm believer that your need adaquate recovery time in order to make your best gains, and since Dead lifts are one of those lifts that taxes your body soooo hard, i'd say dead lift LESS often in order to maximize your weights.

Also, for those who have grip issues, try Straps! You're out to improve your back so train your back, use the straps, train your forearms on a different day

Skeptic
03-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Also, for those who have grip issues, try Straps! You're out to improve your back so train your back, use the straps, train your forearms on a different day

This sounds suspiciously like a BBer's approach as opposed to a strength athlete's approach.

robert da strongman
03-23-2009, 11:05 AM
This sounds suspiciously like a BBer's approach as opposed to a strength athlete's approach.

not really...or maybe i am crazy.
i save my grip for its own day.
use straps for my heavy work, i do try one heavy pull without straps

euclid
03-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Just signed up today and have already learned a few things, which is excellent. I can't seem to get past 315 (for a set of 5). I'm just finishing up the Rippetoe program and have decided to try Bill Starr's 5x5 as I like the idea of ramping days, max effort days, etc... What are your all's thoughts on that sort of program for helping to improve the deadlift?

robert da strongman
03-23-2009, 04:46 PM
i prefer 5x1 for deads.

euclid
03-23-2009, 05:10 PM
i prefer 5x1 for deads.

Are you going max on all of these or are you ramping? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

robert da strongman
03-23-2009, 05:16 PM
they way i run my lifts....over 6 weeks cycle, 2 weeks/%...80%, 85%, 90%

toddbz
03-23-2009, 05:19 PM

Little bit of chalk goes a long way.

Skeptic
03-23-2009, 07:09 PM
they way i run my lifts....over 6 weeks cycle, 2 weeks/%...80%, 85%, 90%

1.- What is your current 1RM?

2.- How many times a week do you deadlift?

3.- WHen do you use the straps?

robert da strongman
03-23-2009, 07:15 PM
1.- What is your current 1RM? 520 for 3reps

2.- How many times a week do you deadlift? once a month

3.- WHen do you use the straps? on my heaviest sets

:wavey:

bigdaddyd
03-23-2009, 07:23 PM
I cannot deadlift more than once a week. It takes several days for me just to walk normal again I get so damn sore.

BrianNassar
03-24-2009, 05:02 AM
Unlike most on this thread I don't disagree with #5. As long as you recover and have your training in order hitting deads twice per week can work. I am one of the biggest advocates of abbreviated training and I have deadlifted twice a week on many occasions. I would do rack pulls from the knees on one day then do my speed work with moderate weights on another day for full range and technique.

tjoe
03-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Unlike most on this thread I don't disagree with #5. As long as you recover and have your training in order hitting deads twice per week can work. I am one of the biggest advocates of abbreviated training and I have deadlifted twice a week on many occasions. I would do rack pulls from the knees on one day then do my speed work with moderate weights on another day for full range and technique.I would be OK with that advice for someone. The rack pull is usually well over 100% of a 1rm deadlift (from the floor) but it is a short ROM and therefore not AS bad on the CNS. Then the spd work is usually around 60ish% of a 1rm and NOT to failure so again not brutal to the CNS. This would work fine.

#5 makes me think "regular deads" twice a week at normal (heavy) loads. This (in my opinion) would NOT be a good idea and for anyone asking how to increase their deadlift, I would think that they would assume the same.

Skeptic
03-24-2009, 05:37 PM
#5 makes me think "regular deads" twice a week at normal (heavy) loads. This (in my opinion) would NOT be a good idea and for anyone asking how to increase their deadlift, I would think that they would assume the same.

It would kill me dead as a smelt.

robert da strongman
03-24-2009, 05:59 PM
so what does everyone do when they hit a sticking point?

tjoe
03-24-2009, 08:07 PM
so what does everyone do when they hit a sticking point?when I hit the wall... I TEAR it down!! :eek:

fitbody
03-24-2009, 08:54 PM
first of all you need a good coach
someone who knows how to deadlift correctly
and make sure you work with this person till your form is well ingrained
cuz if you don't get your groove and you go on your own
you'll form bad habits
and you can get hurt

after doing deads off the floor
go into the rack and do "Partials"
these are partial deadlifts done with the bar starting a few inches
above the knee with legs slightly bent
me personally whatever i can do off the floor for 3 x 8
i'll add another 45 lbs more / side in the rack and do 3 x 5
guys can go heavier
when you do partials heavier than off floor

so if you use "partials"
if you can get it to your knees...
you'll smoke it the rest of the way up

i'd deadlift heavy every 7 - 10 days, no closer !!!

robert da strongman
03-24-2009, 08:59 PM
first of all you need a good coach
someone who knows how to deadlift correctly
and make sure you work with this person till your form is well ingrained
cuz if you don't get your groove and you go on your own
you'll form bad habits
and you can get hurt

after doing deads off the floor
go into the rack and do "Partials"
these are partial deadlifts done with the bar starting a few inches
above the knee with legs slightly bent
me personally whatever i can do off the floor for 3 x 8
i'll add another 45 lbs more / side in the rack and do 3 x 5
guys can go heavier
when you do partials heavier than off floor

so if you use "partials"
if you can get it to your knees...
you'll smoke it the rest of the way up

i'd deadlift heavy every 7 - 10 days, no closer !!!

definitely good advice. learn it..

rinse
03-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Learning the olympis lifts as a way to learn to use more leg drive in the deadlift must be one of the most non economical training ways I've ever heard of. The olympic lifts are very conplex lifts and you have to have someone who has a lot of experience with them to teach you. This will take alot of time and you will have to cut back on your other training. And for what? Learn how to keep your hips at an optimal height for your body structure and to start the lifts with your legs/glutes.

Try deadlifting standing on matts, technique training and focus on getting a strong start through various posterior chain exercises. Low box squats are great for this.

And I also much rather push my stomache out than sqeezing my abs if I want a strong deadlift.

BrianNassar
03-25-2009, 07:33 PM
when i hit the wall... I tear it down!! :eek:

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Squid
07-26-2009, 04:07 PM
Requesting a sticky

Lucas
07-27-2009, 11:49 PM
What the squid said! STICKY, STICKY NOW!!!

B7emm
07-27-2009, 11:53 PM
any one know were to get a good pair of shoes for deadlifting in size 15?

crashcrew56
07-28-2009, 12:02 AM
Check online for wrestling shoes, that's what I used to DL in and I think they work great

B7emm
07-28-2009, 12:05 AM
sweet, i still have some left over from highschool. thanks.

HammerStrength12
08-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Question: I'm starting a cycle of DC, with my main goal to put on size, secondary goal to increase my squat, bench and deadlift.

I'm thinking of using deads and rack pulls for my back thickness exercises and RDLs for hamstrings. Is this overdoing it? Or will it improve my numbers? Both are on the list of approved exercises, but does it make sense to do sets of RDLs 2 days after heavy rack pullls?

BrotherIron
08-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Everybody is talking about Rack Pulls but what I find to be more helpful is doing deads off a platform. You, yourself standing on a 1-4" platform and the bar is off the floor (not the platform). This will increase your first drive (pull off the floor) and increase your ROM making you really accelerate off the floor to finish the lift.

Try this if you haven't and it will help you greatly.

robert da strongman
08-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Question: I'm starting a cycle of DC, with my main goal to put on size, secondary goal to increase my squat, bench and deadlift.

I'm thinking of using deads and rack pulls for my back thickness exercises and RDLs for hamstrings. Is this overdoing it? Or will it improve my numbers? Both are on the list of approved exercises, but does it make sense to do sets of RDLs 2 days after heavy rack pullls?

for back thickness the rack pulls will work.

deads overall will help greatly. use RDL's on leg day. do them right and you will only feel them in your hams.

robert da strongman
08-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Everybody is talking about Rack Pulls but what I find to be more helpful is doing deads off a platform. You, yourself standing on a 1-4" platform and the bar is off the floor (not the platform). This will increase your first drive (pull off the floor) and increase your ROM making you really accelerate off the floor to finish the lift.

Try this if you haven't and it will help you greatly.

rack pulls are great for the top of the lift. do them too much and they will screw up regular deads. need to extend my range.

BrotherIron
08-01-2009, 07:53 PM
rack pulls are great for the top of the lift. do them too much and they will screw up regular deads. need to extend my range.

Give those a try then. I'm telling ya they will help you alot.

Cressler
08-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Two deadlift a week and one squat training, maybe goodmorning etc that is killer for lower back i think...

robert da strongman
08-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Give those a try then. I'm telling ya they will help you alot.

my november comp has a deadlift for reps so i will need to work it.
how high? 1-2"?

BrotherIron
08-02-2009, 12:42 PM
my november comp has a deadlift for reps so i will need to work it.
how high? 1-2"?

I use a 4" platform which makes me really drop my ass and drive with my legs for the inital pull but I know ppl who use smaller lifts like 2".

I've also been told to hit heavy sumos to help increase your conventional deads. I'm going to start throwing them in my next wave.

robert da strongman
08-02-2009, 12:45 PM
4"....will have to figure something out for that.

BrotherIron
08-03-2009, 10:33 PM
4"....will have to figure something out for that.

It doesn't have to be that high. The easiest way to do it is to take 2 35lbs plates or 45's and stand on them. That's the cheap and easy way to do it.

Ryan Bracewell
08-05-2009, 01:25 PM
OR......you could grab the bar as tight as fucking possible and just stand up with the weight. Most lifts come down to attitude. If you ask Ortmayer how he is so good at Stones and he will tell you that its because he shows them no respect. Same applies to deadlift. When Im walking up to a deadlift bar with 600, 700, or 800lbs loaded on it, I am thinking of nothing other than "im picking this shit up". If your trying to think about your form or special techniques then your screwed. This would also tell me that you are not deadlifting enough to be comfortable with the lift.

toddbz
08-05-2009, 01:49 PM
It doesn't have to be that high. The easiest way to do it is to take 2 35lbs plates or 45's and stand on them. That's the cheap and easy way to do it.

You talking about doing deficite deads?
Even one of those step platforms works really good. They say they have a weight maximum but I've seen many times guys pull over 500 off of them.
I've even used 35lb plates instead of 45 to get lower. You can still put quite a bit of weight on the bar like that and you don't have anything under your feet feeling foreign.

BrotherIron
08-05-2009, 02:33 PM
I guess that is what they are called, never knew the name for them. When I said 2 35lb plates I meant place them side by side so you have plenty of room under your feet. Don't stack them on top of each other.

I just stand on the plates to increase my ROM and that forces me to get my ass down and really drive with my legs.

toddbz
08-05-2009, 02:48 PM
I guess that is what they are called, never knew the name for them. When I said 2 35lb plates I meant place them side by side so you have plenty of room under your feet. Don't stack them on top of each other.

I just stand on the plates to increase my ROM and that forces me to get my ass down and really drive with my legs.

Ahh. Yeah I figured you were to smart to stack plates ;)
Deficites really do a number on my glutes and hams.
I actually have em tonight.

So I have a question BI, do you use hook grip exclusivly when pulling? Be it snatch grip or conventional?

BrotherIron
08-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Ahh. Yeah I figured you were to smart to stack plates ;)
Deficites really do a number on my glutes and hams.
I actually have em tonight.

So I have a question BI, do you use hook grip exclusivly when pulling? Be it snatch grip or conventional?

I only use the hook grip for my Oly lifts oddly enough. So I use over-under grip for deadlifting but hook for snatch, clean, pulls, etc.

I know it's weird but I'm a creature of habit so once I learn something a particular way I stick to it.

toddbz
08-05-2009, 03:11 PM
I only use the hook grip for my Oly lifts oddly enough. So I use over-under grip for deadlifting but hook for snatch, clean, pulls, etc.

I know it's weird but I'm a creature of habit so once I learn something a particular way I stick to it.

Got it. The reason I asked is that I've been using hook grip for conventional as well. Cool for single/doubles, but get into higher reps and my hands get beat to hell. Needless to say tape has become my good friend

BrotherIron
08-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Got it. The reason I asked is that I've been using hook grip for conventional as well. Cool for single/doubles, but get into higher reps and my hands get beat to hell. Needless to say tape has become my good friend

Always tape your flick you off middle finger when using the hook grip. It will help in adding some grip and make it easier to hold the bar for multiple reps. I will go as high as reps of 5 with the hook grip but I always tape my finger for a lil added help.

Most of the Oly lifters tape their fingers and not just that one either. Some will tape multiple fingers.

toddbz
08-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Always tape your flick you off middle finger when using the hook grip. It will help in adding some grip and make it easier to hold the bar for multiple reps. I will go as high as reps of 5 with the hook grip but I always tape my finger for a lil added help.

Most of the Oly lifters tape their fingers and not just that one either. Some will tape multiple fingers.

Ahh! Thanks for the tip. I never thought about the middle finger. Taping that one should help me preserve some flesh to lol

BrotherIron
08-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Ahh! Thanks for the tip. I never thought about the middle finger. Taping that one should help me preserve some flesh to lol

Alot of the Team tape their thumb, forefinger, middle finger, and ring finger. I just tape the thumb and middle finger.

toddbz
08-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Alot of the Team tape their thumb, forefinger, middle finger, and ring finger. I just tape the thumb and middle finger.

Tried that last night and it worked really well. Hands aren't even tender today.

BrotherIron
08-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Tried that last night and it worked really well. Hands aren't even tender today.

Good to hear.

toddbz
08-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Good to hear.

Tell me about it! lol
Thanks for the tip.