PDA

View Full Version : A question about supplements...

baronsrugby
07-19-2010, 10:06 PM
HI all. I've never used supplements before, at least nothing you couldn't buy in a pharmacy, but I've talked to some people who suggested I use some things and well, I figure I should come here since there seems to be some people who actually know what they are talking about. Anyway, they suggested the following:

Acetyl- Carnitine, L-Taurine, L-Tyrosine and Super B Complex

Here's the thing, I really don't know what these things are supposed to do and if it's worth my time (and money). I workout 5 times a week, play rugby the other days, I watch a steady diet of mostly protein and veggies, with some carbs thrown in here and there. I want to be stronger and in better shape, is it worth the effort or a waste?

Sorry if this has been asked 8000 times.

Sledge
07-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Acetyl-L-carnitine is a release form for both L-carnitine and acetyl groups. L-Carnitine and is utilized in the same mode in the body. However ALC also plays vital roles in protecting a supporting brain functions. Acetyl-L-carnitine is very comparable in composition and somewhat in function to the amino acid L-carnitine which is concerned in the metabolism of food into energy. The acetyl element of acetyl-L-carnitine is reported to be associated with the development of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Acetyl-L-carnitine contributes to the creation of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, a complex that is believed to involve mental function. Acetylcholine metabolism malfunction in the brain, leading to absence, is believed to be associated with age-related dementias, such as Alzheimer's problem.

Acetyl L Carnitine Benefits

Acetyl-L-carnitine may play a part in delaying the sequence of Alzheimer's problem.
Acetyl-L-carnitine promotes biosynthesis of acetylcholine, a key neurotransmitter for brain and nerve function.
Acetyl-L-carnitine improves mood and memory in people with Age Associated Memory harm.
Acetyl-L-carnitine inhibits the degeneration of Neurons that is inherent in Neuropathy.
Acetyl-L-carnitine improves the quality of Sleep and reduces the quantity of Sleep required.
Acetyl-L-carnitine supplements had a significant lowering of their total cholesterol and triglycerides, and an increase in their HDL good cholesterol levels.
Acetyl-L-carnitine is Ideal for vegans or vegetarians who may not get the dietary carnitine needed for cellular energy.
Other uses for acetyl-L-carnitine take in the conduct of Parkinson's problem, strokes, and Peyronie's problem.
Acetyl-L-carnitine supplementation considerably improved visual memory and attention.
Carnitine may be supportive in treating shock from loss of blood, a sizeable heart attack, or a harsh problem created due to harmful organism of the bloodstream known as sepsis.
Acetyl L Carnitine Precautions

Acetyl-l-carnitine is not advised for pregnant women or nursing mothers.
Seizure’s malfunction of mind or body should only use acetyl-L-carnitine under medical advisement and supervision.
Before taking acetyl-l-carnitine, tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Acetyl L Carnitine Recommended Dosage

Take two or three 500mg doses a day.

Disclaimer

These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, cure, mitigate, treat, or prevent any disease.

Sledge
07-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Tyrosine may enhance to reduce the irritability, despair, and fatigue associated with premenstrual syndrome. According to the researchers tyrosine may also stimulate growth hormone and can act as a mild appetite suppressant. Tyrosine supplements improves mental function in people who are deprived of sleep or exposed to other forms of stress. Tyrosine is specifically used to treat despair because it is a precursor for those neurotransmitters that are responsible for transmitting nerve impulses and beneficial effect in despair.

L-Tyrosine is a precursor for the neurotransmitters dopamine, nor epinephrine and epinephrine, and to enkephalins, special peptides that sub due messages of physical discomfort. Tyrosine is also a element of amino sugars (glycosaminoglycans), special compounds which have key roles throughout the body. L-Tyrosine is also a precursor for the protective skin pigment melanin. During signal transduction tyrosine phosphorylation is a prominent mechanism for the regulation of protein-protein interactions. Tyrosine phosphorylation of a variety of cellular proteins is induced by the Stimulation of the TCR.

L-Tyrosine is also a combination of two thyroid hormones (D-phenylalanine, L-phenylalanine). D-phenylalanine is unique among amino acids because D-form (normally not found in life) has biological activity that is different from its L-stereoisomer. L-phenylalanine (http://www.getnutri.com/store/phenylalanine.html) is a mixture of the two stereoisomer.

L-Tyrosine Benefits:

Tyrosine enhance to overcome despair
ransmits nerve impulses to the brain
Improves memory
Promotes the healthy functioning of the thyroid, adrenal and pituitary glands
Increases mental alertness

Recommended dosage:
One 1 tablet daily, or as recommended by your health care professional

L-Tyrosine Warnings

Pregnant women and nursing mothers should avoid supplementation with L-tyrosine.
It may increase sensitivity to the effects of CNS stimulants.
Those with High blood pressure should exercise caution in the use of L-Tyrosine.
Tyrosine must be avoided in patients with melanoma.
Tyrosine should not be taken by those with conditions associated with increased dopamine levels such as mania and a disorder characterized by twisted view of the real world by a greatly reduced ability to carry out once daily tasks and by abnormal ways of thinking, feeling and behaving.
This supplement may increase sensitivity to the effects of CNS stimulants. Caution is advised when taking tyrosine along with stimulants and dosages should be lowered accordingly.
Disclaimer

These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, cure, mitigate, treat, or prevent any disease.

Sledge
07-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Super B Complex - 60 Tablets

Anti-stress Formula
A high potency, B Vitamin formula plus Vitamin C, magnesium and herbs which may be beneficial during times of stress.

Sledge
07-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Taurine compound include bile acid conjugation, detoxification, membrane stabilization, osmo regulation, and modulation of cellular calcium levels. Taurine has been used with changeable degrees of success in the favorable effects of a wide variety of conditions, including: cardiovascular problems, hypercholesterolemia, a disorder typically ,arced by disturbed electrical rhythem of the central nervous system by attacks of convulsions and by loss of consciousness and other seizure Malfunction of mind or body's, macular degeneration, Alzheimer's problem, hepatic Malfunction of mind or bodies, alcoholism, and cystic fibrosis.

L Taurine is an essential amino acid (http://www.getnutri.com/sup693/aminoacid.htm) for the cat. Taurine deficiency in cats can result in a variety of clinical abnormalities, including central retinal degeneration, dilated cardiomyopathy and platelet function abnormalities. The invention that dietary taurine deficiency leads to retinal degeneration in cats, it was observed that infants who were fed formulas lacking taurine had lower plasma levels of this amino acid than did infants fed human milk. Further, it was exposed that children receiving total parenteral nutrition not containing taurine had abnormal electroretin ograms, as well as low plasma taurine levels.

The role of Taurine in the body is complex. Taurine is one of the mainly familiar neurotransmitters in the body, its effects on the brain are not well understood. With glycine (http://www.getnutri.com/product21136/glycine.html) and gamma-amino butyric acid, Taurine functions as a neuroinhibitory transmitter, and has been used as a mild sedative in treating epileptic patients with dosages of around 500mg three times a day. It also appears to have some effect in muscle tissue; low levels of magnesium and taurine have been found in heart attack patients and high doses (5g) of taurine are being used in experimental heart therapies.

Taurine Benefits

Taurine protect heart muscles.

Taurine improve IQ level in children.

Taurine is used to Enhance absorb fats and fat-soluble vitamins.

Taurine in protecting against Inability of function of heart.

Taurine can be a beneficial dietary supplement, who suffers from bipolar Malfunction of mind or body.

Taurine acts as a metabolic transmitter.

Taurine might be enhance full in some with cystic fibrosis.

Taurine is an antioxidant (http://www.getnutri.com/store/antioxidants.html) and enhance reinforce the defense mechanism of body.

Taurine Enhances to guard against diabetes.

Taurine maintain cell membrane stability, and Beneficial Effects brain cell over-activity.

Taurine might improve glucose tolerance and protect against some toxins.
Taurine Precautions

Pregnant women and nursing mothers should avoid taurine supplements unless recommended by their physicians.

Inability of function of heart should only use taurine under medical supervision.

Taurine should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity or exaggerated response of defense mechanism to the drug.
Suggested Use
1 tablet daily, or as recommended by your health care professional
Disclaimer

Sledge
07-19-2010, 11:24 PM
Personaly I reckon if your eating a good diet (and it sounds like you are) you don't really need all that stuff. However you could try them for a couple of weeks one at a time and if you feel better on them then stick with it.
Supplements should be used to supplement your diet with the thing that may be deficient.

baronsrugby
07-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the info. Wow, I really appreciate it!

miamibodybuilder
01-14-2011, 12:03 AM
honestly, there is no supplement for WHOLE FOODS. that is the best supplement you can use in bodybuilding period. now if you want to add some help from other products just stick to the basics man. creatine, glutamine, protein shakes for emergencies, and a good pre-workout. i've been using most or all of AAEFX's creatine products, glutamine and pre-workout product KOTIC and these products from this company are magnificent. they all go hand in hand with each other when you stack them. their kre-alkalyn creatine is the best i've used, their glutamine is liquid and tastes great and like i said their pre-workout product KOTIC is the best i've used thus far and only with 2 scoops compared to the 3 or 4 i've had to take with other products. their NF PROTEIN is delicious, i like their vanilla. it mixes very easily and tastes great. check them out man and good luck.