PDA

View Full Version : shoulder workout -- need more

Suzy Brown
03-16-2009, 01:49 PM
I feel like there aren't enough shoulder exercises and I'm so tired of doing the same few things week after week.

What's your shoulder day look like?

GENESIS
03-16-2009, 02:18 PM
yesterday i did Arnold presses 4 sets, lying side laterals 4 sets, front raises 3 sets, cable cross rear delt flyes (probably not the right name but whatever) side rasies for 3 sets. and upright rows for 4.

pretty sore today

Suzy Brown
03-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Lying side laterals?? Describe for me pls...

Other than that one, you just wrote my regular routine. I'm not fond of the cable raises, and I also do reverse pec dec for rear delts...

Hardly Krishna
03-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Lying side laterals?? Describe for me pls...

Other than that one, you just wrote my regular routine. I'm not fond of the cable raises, and I also do reverse pec dec for rear delts...
hey buddy, try Reverse Grip Barbell Presses, either on a smith or shoulder press station. Obviously you'll have to go lighter weight, but it almost completely takes the tricep out of the movement.

Hand width should be at your shoulders or just outside.

Current Shoulder routine:
Seated Military: 4-5 sets x 15-8reps
Standing Dumbbell Press - 4 sets x 10reps
Underhand DB Front Raises - 3 sets x 10reps
Standing Side Laterals - 7 sets x 10reps 30 sec between each set.

chasebny
03-17-2009, 12:19 AM
Do all presses standing. It burns my shoulders as well as rehabbing them.

Foreskin
03-17-2009, 12:36 AM
Try doing clean and presses. Or 21's on side laterals only switch the order of them so you do the top half of the movement for the first seven reps the full R.O.M. for the second seven reps and then the bottom half for the last seven reps.

Koubs
03-17-2009, 01:37 PM
I start off with a seated press, then usually an upright row, but one of the things I've implemented with success is the STANDING dumbell presses, like some others mentioned... People don't do the standing presses nearly as often as the seated presses... They're a good way to switch it up

you can't go as heavy on them, and it takes a little getting used to.. start lighter and work up...

Another idea that can work is just re-arranging the order... like pre-exhausting them with some lateral raises and then going to a press

buckimscl
03-17-2009, 01:42 PM
My current shoulder day looks something like this:
Pre-exhaust with some laterals
Seated db press 4 sets
Seated laterals 3 sets
Front plate raises 3 sets
Seated lateral machine 7 sets
I'm doing FST-7 right now.

Suzy Brown
03-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks everyone. Front plate raises, 1 arm or both?

I usually do presses seated so as not to put my back in. Standing would mix that up, thanks.

21s is a GREAT idea, I only do those for bis right now.

Reverse grip barbell presses, that would be palms facing nose right? I do those sometimes... not always. Oddly I can only do the 30lb bar, even tho I can do 50lb (2 25lb db) presses.

Whats a clean & press??? I can't believe I can't remember...

Still curious about lying side laterals...

buckimscl
03-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Lying side laterals are laying on your side on a decline or flat bench and holding the db straight up and lowering it down like you're holding it straight out away from your body. It won't take much weight that's for sure. The plate raises are both hands at the same time.

Suzy Brown
03-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Awesome! Looking forward to next Monday...

bigtimektz
03-17-2009, 05:14 PM
I think shoulders is one of those muscle groups that often gets overworked.
My shoulders finally came up when I lowered the volume and really focused on feeling the muscle work.
Give some of the Hammer Strength shoulder machines a try also. They have a different feel and may be able to stimulate some new growth for you.

Foreskin
03-18-2009, 04:15 AM
Thanks everyone. Front plate raises, 1 arm or both?

I usually do presses seated so as not to put my back in. Standing would mix that up, thanks.

21s is a GREAT idea, I only do those for bis right now.

Reverse grip barbell presses, that would be palms facing nose right? I do those sometimes... not always. Oddly I can only do the 30lb bar, even tho I can do 50lb (2 25lb db) presses.

Whats a clean & press??? I can't believe I can't remember...

Still curious about lying side laterals...

i guess they way i do them is called a hang clean and press , but i start with either dumbbells ar a barbell in the same positon youd do an upright row, power it up to the starting position of a standing military press and proceed to press overhead, thats one rep. look on youtube.

Canuck_Muscle
03-18-2009, 04:48 AM
I keep my shoulder workout pretty basic and pretty much always the same. I do the following

3 sets of hammer strength overhead presses, the plate loaded machine

3 sets of standing side laterals with dumbells, sometimes I will do giant sets going down the rack

3 sets of standing front laterals with dumbells

3 sets of rear pec deck or I will change it up if I cannot get the pec deck to bent over laterals.

MichaelWayne
03-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Current Plan

With Chest day - 3 Triple-sets of Front DB Raise for 12-15, Arnold Press for 5-7, Side Laterals for 5-7. All seated

With Back day - 3 Super-sets of Rear Lateral Raise for 12-15 then Standing Side Laterals 5-7.

HeavyDutyGuy
03-19-2009, 11:33 AM
I think shoulders is one of those muscle groups that often gets overworked.
My shoulders finally came up when I lowered the volume and really focused on feeling the muscle work.
Give some of the Hammer Strength shoulder machines a try also. They have a different feel and may be able to stimulate some new growth for you.

I agee. The shoulders get worked pretty hard when doing chest and back. Its also a smaller muscle group. Even more so in women. They just tend not to have much fiber density there either. What are your goals? Diet/ calories a day, Supplements- anabolics. Without knowing all that, I's sinply suggest cutting your sets in half. No matter how many you're doing now. You don't need a lot of sets , especially delts. As to actual exercises, pick preferably a press, a side lateral raise and a rear delt exercise. 1 to 2 sets each to at LEAST positive failure. If you can do more than 4 to 6 (non warmup )sets, you didn't push hard enough. I do about 4 sets after pecs, smith machine overhead- heavy (for me yesterday that was 230 lbs in plates)- pre or post exhausted with cable, dumbell or machine laterals, and rear delts - machine usually like you do. I go pretty fast on delts, amd this usually takes about 15 to 20 minutes including warmup sets. Harder, briefer. Something to think about anyway. Good luck!

anthony1992
03-19-2009, 11:48 AM
3 sets overhead dumbbell press
3 sets dumbbell side laterals
3 sets seated dumbbell front raises
4 sets bent over laterals

DaveV
03-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Standing DB Press (warmup)
Seated DB Press
Rear Delt machine (pec deck in reverse)
Side Laterals pinching a plate
Front DB raises

All for 3-4 sets

Suzy Brown
03-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Its not that I'm not seeing growth, its more that I'm just bored with the same 4-5 exercises for more than a year straight.

The left is always smaller, sometimes I'll do a heavier weight in that hand.

Just the usual supps - iron, EFAs, B6 & B12, etc

I give them their own day -- super sets w/ abs. Everything hangs from a woman's shoulders (not chest like a guy) so I just want them to be big & cappy.

BoneBz
03-19-2009, 07:31 PM
rear delts(pick an exercise, I like to switch it up) 6 sets
side laterals 4 sets
barbell military press 4 sets
shrugs 2-4 sets

always pyramid yer sets.