PDA

View Full Version : fbbing gets the shaft agian..no tampa pro

tammyp
03-16-2009, 03:28 PM
just been announced that tim wont have the womens pro show. ny and ac is it....

quadrablue
03-16-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm sure it's not Tim's fault but BOOOO anyway;)

tammyp
03-16-2009, 03:38 PM
im sure its sponsors for prize money. always is.

Big J1
03-16-2009, 03:48 PM
well...someone will have to get out the rule book....i think if there are less than 3 open shows, then the qualifying rules are changed for the Miss Olympia..it may only affect the two open shows with regards to previously qualified contestants OR it may also affect the Arnold qualifiers..I am not sure...I will check.

Big J1

Fitswim by Celeste
03-16-2009, 04:08 PM
holy crap? what is going on with fbb shows? damn shame!

Big J1
03-16-2009, 04:16 PM
4.2 Ms. Olympia:
The Promoter of the Ms. Olympia competition must invite the following competitors:
1. The top 6 from the previous year’s Ms. Olympia;
2. The top 6 from the same year’s Ms. International;
3. The top 3 from any other bodybuilding competition held after the previous year’s Ms. Olympia [except as detailed in Rule 4.5.5 and Rule 4.5.6]; and
4. Any other competitor who qualifies pursuant to Rule 4.5.

5. In any year where there are less than three "open" women’s professional bodybuilding competitions (the term "open" is defined as competitions other than the Ms. Olympia and the Ms. International), the following qualifying criteria shall apply (otherwise Rule 4.5.4 and Rule 4.5.6 shall apply):
a. At the Ms. International, the top six finalists qualify for the Ms. Olympia. If any of the top six finalists are already qualified, up to a maximum of three previously unqualified athletes may also qualify. For example, if five of the top six finalists are already qualified, the remaining top-six finalist will qualify as well as 7th and 8th place.
b. At "open" competitions, the top three finalists qualify for the Ms. Olympia. If any of the top three finalists are already qualified, up to a maximum of three previously unqualified athletes may also qualify. For example, if the top finalist is already qualified, the remaining two top-three finalists will qualify as well as 4th place.

http://www.ifbbpro.com/wp-content/uploads/image/2009/news/qualify_womenbb.gif

genex
03-16-2009, 05:52 PM
man that sucks. One less trip to make though I guess. Big J1 you wanna translate that into who exactly is qualified for this year :)

tammyp
03-16-2009, 06:01 PM
i guess this wasnt the year to turn pro after all...joel ..i think belle was 7th?

Big J1
03-16-2009, 10:30 PM
so far....it should be

iris
betty
dayana
yaxeni
lisa aukland
cathy l
heather a
debi l

and

isabelle t

six more from ny and a/c...if there are any top 3 finishers in these two shows already qualified then 4th in that show would go...

waiting for confirmation from the ifbb....if you go to the ifbb professional league site you will find who is qualified...if belle is added then i would assume it is a go....

Big J1

Mufasa
03-17-2009, 08:17 AM
Tammy:

This brings up a question I've often wondered about.

One the earliest and largest supporters of FBB was Jan Tana.

What became of her "Jan Tana Classic"?

Also...what is meant by an "open" show? (I'm guessing that its one where anyone can compete as opposed to one where one is invited?)

Mufasa

pnohe
03-17-2009, 08:54 AM
this sucks. bad

dvsness
03-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Disheartening.

Allifit
03-18-2009, 08:13 AM
holy crap? what is going on with fbb shows? damn shame!

This is really upsetting....

tflexxin
03-18-2009, 11:11 AM
You are correct in your assumption that it was sponsorship dollars that caused this. Tim Gardner is a huge supporter of Womens Bodybuilding and he procrastinated as long as he could waiting for promised sponsors to live up to their obligations, only for them to not return calls or back out. It was with deep regret that he had to cancel the women's portion. Last years ladies were outstanding and will be sorely missed in Tampa this year.
Tim's exact message below:
It pains me to say that I have procrastinated for weeks in making this decision in hopes that the supplement companies and indivduals who since last year have made committments to supporting female bodybuilding as such sponsors at our show would follow through with their word. I understand about the climate of our economy, my businesses are definitely feeling it too but unfortunately, I cannot even seem to get some to return a phone call or email.

Brandie and I spared no expenses with our IFBB contest in its inaugural year; all who attended can attest to that. The major industry publications all collectively reported the rich ambiance and prestige of our production. The 19 IFBB female athletes who competed in Tampa and their families were treated like royalty at our event. The likes of Vicki Nixon, Debi Laszewski and Dayana Cadeau who attended but did not compete were also given the same red carpet treatment. I received emails, phone calls and letters for months afterwards thanking me for a wonderful IFBB Tampa experience. This feedback did get back to the industry's companies so testimonials were confirmed of the dynamics of our contest.

So you can see why such the dilema. My heart goes out for the female competitors. I too, said the very same thing; there are only going to be two Olympia qualifiers on the 2009 schedule if I drop the Tampa PBW, I must carry this torch for the women. The caveat is that I did not anticipate zero support after so many unsolicited companies wanted to assist early on.

I do appreciate all of the support from Debbie Bramwell, Sheila Bleck and Carla Salotti in attempting to send viable sponsorship our way. You are all very special individuals in our sport and are true ambassadors. I only wish you the best success in all of your endeavors.

Sandpig
03-18-2009, 12:28 PM
This sucks. I feal for all you female BB's.

MsGuns
03-18-2009, 07:27 PM
http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?t=4163

Lee Penman
03-22-2009, 08:57 AM
:mad: In yet another attempt to stifle women's bodybuilders it seems that the powers that be have now cancelled the women's contest in the 2009 Tampa Pro!
The reason is stated as "money"....i.e. not enough cash to support the contest. It has also been stated that a budget of $12 000 will be needed in order to reinstate the show in 2010.
In the words of Bret Michaels...."What's a going on???"

Curt James
03-22-2009, 09:10 AM
:mad: In yet another attempt to stifle women's bodybuilders it seems that the powers that be have now cancelled the women's contest in the 2009 Tampa Pro!

Wasn't Ed Pariso on a radio show stating that the women didn't support his one pro fbb show?

No women showed up and so he and his wife pulled one of their women's comps last year?

An IFBB license costs thousands (izzat right?) and what's the use of putting up those dollars and then having the women give the show a pass?

Betty Pariso is a Pro, so it's difficult to believe there's a conspiracy, at least in their shows.

Suzanne
03-22-2009, 09:36 AM
Wasn't Ed Pariso on a radio show stating that the women didn't support his one pro fbb show?

No women showed up and so he and his wife pulled one of their women's comps last year?

An IFBB license costs thousands (izzat right?) and what's the use of putting up those dollars and then having the women give the show a pass?

Betty Pariso is a Pro, so it's difficult to believe there's a conspiracy, at least in their shows.

they didn't not show up for the show they all competed

some didn't show up for a group thing at beginning of finals because they were asked if they would prefer not too because of all the hours they were back stage for prejudging, would they rather rest and get their meals in

Skeptic
03-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Moved to a more pertinent thread.

Curt James
03-22-2009, 10:32 AM
they didn't not show up for the show they all competed

Define "all".

I don't recall the radio program (believe it was NBR) or the competition, but got the clear impression from Pariso that few to zero women supported his one show by entering and so he and his wife chose to focus on men's and figure than spend the money to license a women's bb show.

You tell me. Which competition are you referring to?

I can look up the radio show. It was either NBR or PBW.

And how much is a license? Hell, is there a license fee and, if so, what does it cost or does the price vary?

tammyp
03-22-2009, 10:46 AM
they wanted all the athletes to go out on stage for an intro, and since the women were last and waited so long to go on in PJ many opted to not go til later, wanted to rest and eat vs sitting around several hours at the venue.

im sure debbie will go into more detail since she was there.

Suzanne
03-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Define "all".

I don't recall the radio program (believe it was NBR) or the competition, but got the clear impression from Pariso that few to zero women supported his one show by entering and so he and his wife chose to focus on men's and figure than spend the money to license a women's bb show.

And how much is a license? Hell, is there a license fee and, if so, what does it cost or does the price vary?

The Dallas Europa

Suzanne
03-22-2009, 11:37 AM
they wanted all the athletes to go out on stage for an intro, and since the women were last and waited so long to go on in PJ many opted to not go til later, wanted to rest and eat vs sitting around several hours at the venue.

and i heard they were given the option to come later

MsGuns
03-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Define "all".

Curt, didnt show up to compete or show up for special event?
Ive been at the Europa every yr...
This past yr they ALL did compete but were given the option to come back later. Beni Lopez was there, she can chime in. But I dont think thats the reason the Europa is not on. I believe its because NO SPONSOR want to SPONSOR Women Fbbs...

Curt James
03-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Curt, didnt show up to compete or show up for special event?
Ive been at the Europa every yr...
This past yr they ALL did compete but were given the option to come back later. Beni Lopez was there, she can chime in. But I dont think thats the reason the Europa is not on. I believe its because NO SPONSOR want to SPONSOR Women Fbbs...

http://www.musculardevelopment.com/content/view/1413/140/

I'm listening to this episode now to see if it's the one I'm thinking of.

"Europa Super Show promoter Ed Pariso calls in to update the Whack Pack on his new labor of love- The Orlando Super Show in Orlando, Florida."

The Dallas Europa certainly had a lot of competitors.

http://musclememory.com/show.php?c=Europa+Supershow+-+IFBB&y=2008&g=f

Curt James
03-22-2009, 10:14 PM
http://www.musculardevelopment.com/content/view/1413/140/

It's in there. A very clear statement by Ed Pariso as to why he and his wife, apparently, chose not to go forward with the women's bb shows.

Starts about 3/4 of the way into the show. Maybe a little more than 3/4.

siouxcountry
03-23-2009, 07:15 PM
A few of us are raising funds to bring back pro women's bodybuilding to Tampa 2010. If you want to help, PM Debbie Bramwell.

Curt James
03-23-2009, 07:55 PM
A few of us are raising funds to bring back pro women's bodybuilding to Tampa 2010. If you want to help, PM Debbie Bramwell.

Awesome!

And FitGems has about $1900 raised, if I'm not mistaken. Check out http://www.fitgemsnation.net/

I just checked. They're listing their total as $1850.

SallyAnne
03-23-2009, 11:28 PM
How much do they need to raise?

Curt James
03-23-2009, 11:37 PM
I thought $12K was the magic number. :(

Suzanne
03-24-2009, 12:04 AM
how much do they need to raise?

10-12k

HeavyDutyGuy
03-24-2009, 05:25 AM

So they made a choice. And that was not to go the extra mile to promote their own sport. Can you imagine Arnold, or Pearl or Zane or Mentzer etc. Etc having done that? Of course not! It has to be said, Ladies. stop waiting on everyone else to make your sport grow! You have to push, not sit back and wait. The mens sport, the same, we have a Mr O who sits around playing video games when not working out, or competing. Arnold and Pearl etc went out and made it happen, judged, promoted, sometimes their own shows, with their own reputations and money backing them... ya know? Donations? What is this, City of Hope?

tammyp
03-24-2009, 05:43 AM
the men are catered to and never made to wait. its all about them. do you compete? sitting for endless hours in a venue (they never have any place to sit but the floor) when your depleted isnt any fun. know what its like before you critisize.

GirlyMuscle
03-24-2009, 09:05 AM
I think it's bullshit that fans and competitors have to figure out how to pay for FBBing. Thank you IFBB. Thank you competitors reps.

HeavyDutyGuy
03-24-2009, 12:56 PM
the men are catered to and never made to wait. its all about them. do you compete? sitting for endless hours in a venue (they never have any place to sit but the floor) when your depleted isnt any fun. know what its like before you critisize.

You assume too much. Made to wait? Omg I,ve had shows where I had to go on first in the prejudging, then last at night. (This thread isn't about personal stuff, but yes I've competed in 10 shows over the last 5 years, won 8 top 5 trophies and two Superheavyweight titles). Now to put the focus on the long view, which is what I was doing, you have to give blood and guts to grow- that includes the sport. You need to a longer view of things, can't just give in and then complain. Can you see Arnold doing that? Steve Reeves, Bill Pearl? Lee Haney? If you want your sport to be big, you have to be big.

Curt James
03-24-2009, 03:52 PM
I think it's bullshit that fans and competitors have to figure out how to pay for FBBing. Thank you IFBB. Thank you competitors reps.

It looks like Betty Pariso (rep) put forth a great recommendation (to lower the sanction fee for fbb comps) but was flatly denied by the IFBB. :(

jasons805
03-24-2009, 05:20 PM
I think it is great that they are willing to do so. A good bit of money has been raised so far.

tiramisu
03-24-2009, 06:38 PM

You think someone else should pay for FBB if the fans and the sponsors aren't interested? Clearly the IFBB is fucked but it's a business and FBB doesn't make money. I think the men's divisions may be headed in a similar direction with the GH guts as well. While I personally am a fan the fan base is shrinking. The supplement industry will use what sells. Maybe it's time to start getting sponsorship from the HGH and big pharma manufacturers. If that doesn't work how about tobacco, firearms or alcohol?

Maybe it's time to break away from the IFBB and create a new organization for FBB's that is represents the will of the athletes. You might have to put money and time into it but at least the judging, sponsors, and results could represent the ideals of the athletes involved.

Curt James
03-24-2009, 06:46 PM
can't just give in and then complain. Can you see Arnold doing that? Steve Reeves, Bill Pearl? Lee Haney? If you want your sport to be big, you have to be big.

Can you be more specific?

I know Arnold promoted the sport/himself incredibly well in the 70's. He was on the Mike Douglas show, A.M. Philadelphia, and in Sports Illustrated at least once.

And I believe that was before the "Pumping Iron" movie craze was in full force.

Bill Pearl was head judge for the IFBB at one time?

Not sure how Steve Reeves became involved with Hercules, but that certainly made muscles high profile at that time.

Evan Centopani has a great bio on his website. Are there any ladies with a similar tale?

Check Centopani's site. If a female equivalent existed then I'm sure she could find some sponsors who would love to take advantage of her success by having her tout their product as having fat-reducing benefits.

What associations are there that work to save anorexics? Might be a stretch, but perhaps they'd sponsor a fbb who has overcome anorexia.

I thought I read a story of one athlete who had suffered from anorexia but through bb was able to make a positive turn or change.

Back to your examples, Haney had or has his Animal Kingdom, some kind of youth camp or home as well as his own supplement line.

I know there's at least one fbb who has fitness or bb camps. Isn't there?

Perhaps the ladies just make easier money with web cams. Why try to nail down interview spots on local TV and radio when you could be chillin at home?

McLish was in Iron Eagle?

What other women have appeared on the big screen? Wasn't someone in the JLo flick, the Cell? Might have that movie title wrong or, yeah, might have that wrong entirely.

The sport doesn't need any help on the one hand. It's women and weights. May the best athlete win.

The trouble is with the money, I guess, and also with the definition of "best."

I'd love to see fbb get big sponsors and be portrayed positively in the mainstream press, sure.

But I'll be a fan even if there's no money and the venues go back to the way things were in the early days of the sport.

Let me tack on that I'd like to see couples posing make a comeback.

Who has a wish list? :)

TG FLEX
04-01-2009, 06:06 PM
2009 REINSTATEMENT CONFIRMED

It was quite the painful dilema on March 17th to publically announce that I would have to cancel the IFBB female bodybuilding division from the 2009 IFBB Tampa Pro Bodybuilding Weekly Championships' schedule. After the announcement reached the bodybuilding community, a few individuals reached out to me and asked what could be done to bring female bodybuilding back to Tampa in 2010. I simply replied that just that particular division alone budgets out to $12,000 which does not include any costs of the venue, judges, stage set, hotel, advertising, transportation, trophies, etc. and that I would require it by December of 2009 to inform the IFBB office of my 2010 intentions.

Two weeks later, we fast forward to what has miraculously transpired to only a short ten days of effort to raise, collect and dedicate not $12,000 but $17,000 to the IFBB female bodybuilding sponsorship of our Tampa production.

I know what you are thinking, April's Fools, right? As surreal as this seems, this is 100% fact. With IFBB Pro Debbie Bramwell at the helm, siouxcountry.com, photographer John Hawley and approximately twelve individuals plus Ed and Betty Pariso as its supporting cast shot out of the gates by way of paypal to pledge $3,400. Great pace for a December '09 target date! Lo and behold, I wake up on Saturday the 28th to an anonymous email stating that his website community, unrealmuscle.com would contribute the balance of $8,600 and asked would that solidify a 2010 Tampa event? I replied that I would inform Mr. Manion of our intentions and start planning for 2010. Later in the day a second email appears asking if the 2009 female portion could be reinstated since the sponsorship budget was covered so early and also if additional funds were raised if it were possible to be added to the female bodybuilders' prize money? Again, another reply of I will inform Mr. Manion and we will also have to confirm the sponsorship deposits before making a public announcement of that magnitude.

Ladies and gentlemen of our vast and prestigious IFBB and NPC family, I am so honored to report today that the 2009 IFBB Tampa Pro Bodybuilding Weekly Championships will be intact just as its inaugural season with IFBB open men, IFBB 202 lb. men and IFBB open women bodybuilding in conjunction with the NPC Tim Gardner Extravaganza Bodybuilding, Fitness, Figure & Bikini Championships.

After careful discussion with Mr. Manion, his vote of confidence and the strong support from siouxcountry.com and unrealmuscle.com, I decided to reinstate the female portion and bring it back stronger for the athletes and fans alike. We have increased the prize money and added two more places to our contest as such:

1st - $5,000 *
2nd - $3,000 *
3rd - $1,500 *
4th - $1,000
5th - $500

* Olympia qualification

There will also be a best poser award of $500.

This is a true testament to our bodybuilding community supporting its sport of passion without segregation of its forms of disciplines. This is short of being unbelievable, especially in spite of our current economic environment. I cannot speak highly enough of the positive impact that siouxcountry.com & unrealmuscle.com have placed on our entire sport and not just for the love of female bodybuilding but the love of our organization(s). This will set a new precedence of enthusiasm and pride that will hopefully be contagious for all of our IFBB shows, the platform for our champion athletes.

Thank you.
Tim Gardner
www.ifbbtampapro.com (http://www.ifbbtampapro.com/)

cheddar cheese
04-01-2009, 06:29 PM
so far....it should be

iris
betty
dayana
yaxeni
lisa aukland
cathy l
heather a
debi l

and

isabelle t

six more from ny and a/c...if there are any top 3 finishers in these two shows already qualified then 4th in that show would go...

waiting for confirmation from the ifbb....if you go to the ifbb professional league site you will find who is qualified...if belle is added then i would assume it is a go....

Big J1

What happens to Belle now that the show is reinstated?