PDA

View Full Version : Considering trying a powerlifting meet in SoCal...

gottabecool
07-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Never done anything in this arena, have no real friends that do it. But I have heard what some of the guys in a weight class I can get into are winning with, and it seems like a walk in the park. I know the "Gym vs competition" lifts can be different. But seriously, how does someone win a 2-exercise competition @ 215 weight class with a 315 bench and 435 deadlift :dunno: Not saying I am a monster by any means, but it sounds like fun and I am almost down to that weight.

Anyways...Any tips on organizations I should look into?

tjoe
07-22-2010, 07:03 PM
What org usually boils down to what is closest to your area at the time. Especially for a first meet. You wanna get the ole feet wet before you go traveling to a specific event. Check out powerliftingwatch.com and search for events in your area and go from there.

Also think about what "type" of lifting you want to compete in. Tested/untested, equiped or raw etc. That will vary by org as well.

gottabecool
07-23-2010, 11:46 AM
hmm...I wonder if I can compete in a tested organizations on trt with a script....Definitely raw...

Thanks for the link bud. Was hoping you'd chime in. Will check it out.

tjoe
07-23-2010, 12:17 PM
no problem bro. any questions let me know.

gottabecool
07-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Any tips for a first timer?

SoxFan11
07-23-2010, 11:53 PM
Any tips for a first timer?

Check out this article at EliteFTS. (http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/powerlifting-articles/tips-for-your-first-raw-powerlifting-meet/)

Squid
07-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Don't worry about making weight or getting numbers at your first meet just watch, learn and enjoy yourself, ofcourse have an idea of what ballpark you wanna hit and start with but don't worry about it.

One question, is it a push/pull or full meet?

thesamewords
07-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Dude you should talk to Crashcrew. He is a good resource as well as tjoe, and Robert Da Strongman. Also bro you should at least attend a meet before participating and go over the rules per organization like APA and USPF. Any meet that allow equipment will also have a set list of equipment that is allowed and disallowed like those damn Leviathan suits!

thesamewords
07-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Oh yeah, dont go to a meet because you think its easy bro.... go there to challenge yourself first!

gottabecool
07-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Check out this article at EliteFTS. (http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/powerlifting-articles/tips-for-your-first-raw-powerlifting-meet/)

Awesome, Thanks

Don't worry about making weight or getting numbers at your first meet just watch, learn and enjoy yourself, ofcourse have an idea of what ballpark you wanna hit and start with but don't worry about it.

One question, is it a push/pull or full meet?

I would want to do a deadlift/bench meet. Back still disagrees with squatting any real weight.

Dude you should talk to Crashcrew. He is a good resource as well as tjoe, and Robert Da Strongman. Also bro you should at least attend a meet before participating and go over the rules per organization like APA and USPF. Any meet that allow equipment will also have a set list of equipment that is allowed and disallowed like those damn Leviathan suits!

Good point. Hoping to attend a couple next month.

Oh yeah, dont go to a meet because you think its easy bro.... go there to challenge yourself first!

Definitely wouldn't be a breeze...but would be nice to have a goal. I just lift/diet/train now because I like to. :dunno:

Squid
07-27-2010, 05:01 PM
In regards to your openers, they should be your 'shit day' lifts, by that I mean a weight you could hit on a really bad day.

gottabecool
07-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Was thinking about pulling 5% off what I can normally do.

I think I am going to take the above advice though and try to catch some of the local meets before hand. Try to see the rookie mistakes before I make them.
Maybe see one of you fella's in so-cal?