PDA

View Full Version : Off Season Cardio

LisaRD23
07-23-2010, 10:13 AM
What is your off season approach for cardio?

Do you still wake up at the crack of dawn to get it in?
Squeeze it in after your night training?
Cardio only days?

I am still getting in about 5 cardio session a week, and idealy it would be best for me to get my ass out of bed in the morning to get my cardio done so I won't be in the gym untill 8 p.m. but now that I'm not in contest prep mode I just can't seem to justify loosing sleep!!

What do you gals do?

stephaniewicked
07-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Well I'm only two weeks post-contest but I'm trying to maintain leanness throughout the summer, so I'm doing 60 minutes 5-6 days/week (one cardio only day, so far). I've been doing it post-workout, but this morning I happened to wake up early and decided I would do some fasted cardio for the first time since my last show. Not to mention it's Friday and I have plans later, so it will be nice to finish up at the gym a little early tonight...

Sorry... I probably wasn't the best example to chime in here, but you know I had to do it anyway. :p

Looking forward to hearing some other opinions though!

LisaRD23
07-23-2010, 11:13 AM
I do have 1 cardio only day, I've been trying to get it done in the morning so I can just go straight home after work...and after I get back into my normal schedule (back from vacation, etc...) I will probally make that the plan.

But as far as the other training + cardio days...I am debating wether I should just suck it up and do my fasted a.m. cardio....or enjoy the off season for what it is and sleep at 5a.m. instead of run on the hamster wheel:)

5% Monster
07-23-2010, 12:44 PM
What many people try to figure out is their metabolic rate and then align that with a good off season diet. In other words, if your resistance training workout is high intensity, and your are eating really clean, you can get away with as little as 30 minutes right after your workout except on leg days.

Nabeel
07-23-2010, 02:30 PM
i try to feel it out, if i feel as if im gaining unnecessary fat then i'll do a little bit of fasted cardio. Usually if my macro's are good i dont do much cardio, then when its time to diet i dont do cardio till my cut slows down then its a huge kick in progress

Kitty Kat
07-23-2010, 02:59 PM
i try to feel it out, if i feel as if im gaining unnecessary fat then i'll do a little bit of fasted cardio. Usually if my macro's are good i dont do much cardio, then when its time to diet i dont do cardio till my cut slows down then its a huge kick in progress
I agree with Nabel..
Also, you have to take in consideration what is your goal for your next show e.g bring up lagging parts, add more muscle etc.. ... One of my mistakes last year was that I kept my cardio the same off season bc I wanted to maintain lean.. But when it came down to going pre contest, it was hard bc my body was already used to the diet and cardio.. Another thing that it hurt me one was on my muscle gains.. So for my next offseason, I am making sure I slow down on the cardio. I don't have a problem with eating clean the entire year, but I am going to aim for a cheat meal every 3rd day or so.. hope this helps

margo
02-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Hi Kitty Kat.
I´m in the same situation as you were... did cardio off season and now I´m having a really hard time losing weight.
Can you give me an idea what to do... what did you do when this happen to you?

Nitro Fueled Barbie/Mel Marx
02-03-2011, 02:47 PM
I eat super clean year round so that I can get away with 30-40 min offseason 5x per week and 30 min pre breakfast on season.......5x per week

I'm a firm believer in the diet making the body not cardio......

Sieve
02-03-2011, 03:38 PM
I dont do it my self as a bodybuilder and neither my girlfriend witch I advise and is a figure competitor.
Nothing drastic but you need calories to progress in the offseason, even as figure.

margo
02-03-2011, 04:08 PM
I totally agree that diet makes the body but it is so hard to switch from onseason to offseason, do less cardio and eat more food.... your mind can be so tricky.
I can see now that I did more harm than good doing so much cardio offseason... my body is resisting and like the way it is right now......

02-03-2011, 04:10 PM
I dont do it my self as a bodybuilder and neither my girlfriend witch I advise and is a figure competitor.
Nothing drastic but you need calories to progress in the offseason, even as figure.

yup just up your clean macros and you can keep yourself lean and build at the same time....I don't know where people came up with the idea of 2-3 hrs of cardio anywhoo.....
the body is super anabolic after contests and becomes what you put into it....if you eat a bunch of junk then yeah you'll get fat but if you just up your clean macro nutrients you can maintain a lean physique while putting on lean mass.....

Suzanne
02-03-2011, 05:16 PM
I walk my dogs 2 miles 30 min & do 20 min stepmill intervals 6xwk

I could probably get away with no stepmill but i would rather eat more food and also not worry about my big cheats on Saturday

NPCfigure
02-03-2011, 08:10 PM
I do cardio 5x wk for 40-45 min off season. No cardio on leg or back day for me...I have stayed relatively lean this off season...PJ said as long as I am training hard I will be fine, and I wont get fat. I am eating alot too, and he has not been wrong yet! Thanks Coach!

02-03-2011, 08:42 PM
^^ those are the two days I take off also.....legs and back...whew hew......

02-03-2011, 08:43 PM
I walk my dogs 2 miles 30 min & do 20 min stepmill intervals 6xwk

I could probably get away with no stepmill but i would rather eat more food and also not worry about my big cheats on Saturday

I would think it doesn't matter how much food you are eating as long as it's healthy macros....that on your cheat day (saturday) it would just speed you up therefore, why do you worry?

IFBBproChristyMerritt
02-07-2011, 03:54 PM
For me, this off season (my first) I didn't do more than 20 minutes 3 times a week (usually less). After a few weeks of eating whatever I wanted, i got back on a healthy food plan. Its both my own and my trainers opinion that if you eat clean with 2 or 3 cheat meals you can keep your cardio low or none existent, then when it comes time to get ready for a show, the cardio you introduce works that much more efficiently....