PDA

View Full Version : Keto strips?

thachozenonebx
03-16-2009, 06:42 PM
i was wondering if those keto urinalysis strips that tests how many ketones are present in your urine are actually reliable

gman
03-16-2009, 06:45 PM
maybe for a while, but once your body starts really using the ketones for fuel, you may register very low or none.(this was per Layne Norton in the Layne or Dave thread on the MD board)

Sledge
03-16-2009, 07:33 PM
Don't try and use them as an acurate guage to asess the amount of ketones your producing. It dosen't matter. What matters is that you are in ketosis. So any discoloration of the stick is good even if it's only a slight pinkish tinge. After a while doing keto you will feel when your in ketosis and you won't need the sticks any more. But when your trying it for the first time it's nice to have a physical indicator that your doing it right.

gman
03-16-2009, 08:01 PM
well said, Sledge.

If you aren't eating carbs, or are severely limiting , you WILL be in ketosis. Don't stress about a pee stick.

thachozenonebx
03-16-2009, 08:04 PM
good words...i wasnt sure spending 15 bux was truly worth it...
have u guys followed keto?
and if so..did you follow a one day refeed carb day?

way too
03-17-2009, 05:30 AM
I'm curious about the cheat day too. Wouldn't it put you out of keto for days?

Zetawill
03-18-2009, 02:01 AM
I'm curious about the cheat day too. Wouldn't it put you out of keto for days?

I'm usually only out of keto for the 1st day after my cheat and it depends on my cheat........Cici's pizza buffett......2 days to recover with lots and lots of cardio.........Steak and sweet potato.....about 6 hours.

It's one meal and it won't do tons of damage as long as you are decently responsible with your "cheat". Just because it's a cheat doesn't mean to throw it all away.......I know for contest prep, you don't really get much of a cheat.....just some carbs to reload your glycogen stores.

Sledge
03-18-2009, 02:50 AM
If I have a cheat meal it dosn't kick me out of keto. And I'm talking pizza cheesecake ice cream the lot.

If I have a full cheat day, even if it's reasonably clean it kicks me out and it takes me a couple of days feeling like shit to get back in.

I've also tried an extra 100g of carbs every 3 days once i'm in keto and that dosn't kick me out of keto either. But it dosn't have the same satisfaction as kicking back with 2 litres of cookies and cream icecream and couple of beers once a week.

Diggy
03-18-2009, 03:47 AM

$6.97 at walmart pharmacy

way too
03-18-2009, 03:56 AM
If I have a cheat meal it dosn't kick me out of keto. And I'm talking pizza cheesecake ice cream the lot.

How often can you get away with that? Once a week?

Diggy
03-18-2009, 03:58 AM
How often can you get away with that? Once a week?

On Dave's diet its once a week, your last meal of the day so you dont cheat again

Sledge
03-18-2009, 04:01 AM
On Dave's diet its once a week, your last meal of the day so you dont cheat again

What he said. Actualy because of my work roster etc It's once every 8 days for me.

way too
03-18-2009, 04:26 AM
Sweet. I'll be hitting a buffet this weekend then.

way too
03-18-2009, 04:33 AM
How important is it that its your last meal of the day?
I'd like to have it at dinner time but I tend to go to bed late.

Sledge
03-18-2009, 04:39 AM
it's just easier that way because then you don't make your cheat meal last 6 hours :) But really as long as you have your meal and then that's it for a week it should be fine. I started this type of thing before I ever heard of Dave's diet. But I like the simplicity of Dave's diet, and anything that means someone else does the calculations and stuff for me is good. I'll just do the eating part.

way too
03-18-2009, 05:01 AM
Yea, thats what I like about Daves diet too. It's simple. This is my first keto diet, I've ate low carbs before but always had a 'standard' pwo shake and meal. This past week has been a little tough, took a couple days off the gym to let my body acclimate to the diet. Feeling better every day now though.