PDA

View Full Version : Time to FIGURE it out......... 2010

Figuremomof4
07-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Hello all.. Glad to be here.. A little bit about myself.. My name is Danae, I'm a almost 38yr old mom of 4 great kids and I've competed in 2 NPC regional shows (in 2009). I recently had shoulder surgery, so that has left me open to a forced "off season" which I'm not liking ONE BIT! I have had very bad emotional ups and downs with this recovery and am super glad I can come to a place like this for support, motivation and to complain a bit ;) In my first show, I placed 4th, in my 2nd show I placed 5th.. Now, I think I looked better at my 2nd show, so why I placed lower, I don't know but that's not what I'm concerned about now. I was happy with my placement and I took home 2 trophies. Now, the real concern is... should I stay with figure or move over to bikini. I'll be perfectly honest, I DO NOT want to do bikini, not that there's anything wrong with it but I like the weights.. I like to train heavy, I like to feel like my muscles are going to explode and I just don't think bikini training is that intense. It's not my forte' but as of right now, with my shoulder injury, I think that's my only option (if I want to stay in somewhat decent shape in this "off season" without being able to lift. I have gained some weight, I'm up to 138 (normally I'm about 130).. I haven't watched my eating since I was feeling sorry for myself... chinese and mexican have been my friends.. what can I say.... :dunno:

So.. Here I am, wondering what to do, where to go and how to get there. I lifted on Wed. I did what I could do, to see what I could do and I can do almost everything but lightly. I can train legs obviously but everything else is light light light (for now). I know I need to get rid of this fat that I'm carrying around that's for sure but where to go figure/bikini wise is where I'm struggling. I see what Jillyrev is doing and she just motivates me to no end and I wish I lived closer to her! We've been friends for almost 2 yrs now (because of a forum) and I've seen her compete and she's just amazing! I'm thankful to have her in my corner and always there to help me!!

So.... here it is, almost Aug... I wanted to do a show in Oct, I just don't think this is enough time to get to where I'm comfortable on stage.. I can't even pose right, since my arm is still messed up! :angry:

Anyway, hello to everyone here, thanks for reading this and giving your opinions, advice etc.. I look forward to making many more friends on RX!!

Rock On!!
D-

Figuremomof4
07-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Day 2 of battle of the belly bloat diet!! M1 = 1 C rice krispies in skim milk, 1.2 z unsweetened applesauce and 1/4 C sunflower seeds, 8 oz water. M2= 4 oz organic turkey, string cheese, sunflower seeds and water. Snack= Mixed fruit smoothie

So far so good, a little hungry but nothing I can't handle ;)

~gymdiva~
07-26-2010, 04:27 PM
what kind of shoulder surgery did you have?

as for the bikini/figure dilemma, I say just train and diet and see what your physique is dictating as it gets closer to a show....you may not be as far off from figure as you think :)

BEAST MODE
07-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Diva you stole my question!

I had shoulder surgery back in January and was forced to take off what seemed like an eternity. You will get there. Just take it one day at a time, do your PT, and gradually get back into it as your body allows. Good luck!

stephaniewicked
07-26-2010, 06:03 PM
as for the bikini/figure dilemma, I say just train and diet and see what your physique is dictating as it gets closer to a show....you may not be as far off from figure as you think :)

Excellent advice! I'm convinced that I'm a figure girl trapped in a bikini girl's body. I can diet and train my ass off, but literally can NOT get rid of my ass... if that make sense? :dunno: lol. :(

Anyway, welcome Danae! You're definitely in the right place. Good luck with whatever direction your competitive career takes... try to focus on healing properly so that whenever you decide to step on stage next, you can be sure you are at 110%!! I know it's easier said than done, but I also know how much more it would suck if you were forced to take more time off from training. :)

Figuremomof4
07-27-2010, 09:10 AM
Thanks ladies.. I had a lot of stuff done in my shoulder. I had a labrum tear, a rotator tear (a small one), I had to have a decompression done and I had bone spurs on the top of my clavical that they had to shave down. I also had some weird restrictive band grow over my bicep tendon that they removed... So, I had a lot in there that needed to be done. It's been 4 months and I still can't really raise my arm above my head, wash my hair right, put a bra on the right way, etc. It's better, but not where I thought it would be after 4 months. Stephanie.. I can totally agree with the ass thing! ME EITHER.. It's just there and that's how my body is. I'm stuck with it, like it or not. ;) I'm dieting like I would for a show and we'll see what happens. I know I can't train as heavy as I need to for figure but who knows, with shows that I've seen lately, they're not looking for big anymore, they're looking for overall "figure" it seems like, so I might be ok :)

AnglicanBeachParty
07-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Subscribed!

BEAST MODE
07-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks ladies.. I had a lot of stuff done in my shoulder. I had a labrum tear, a rotator tear (a small one), I had to have a decompression done and I had bone spurs on the top of my clavical that they had to shave down. I also had some weird restrictive band grow over my bicep tendon that they removed... So, I had a lot in there that needed to be done. It's been 4 months and I still can't really raise my arm above my head, wash my hair right, put a bra on the right way, etc. It's better, but not where I thought it would be after 4 months. Stephanie.. I can totally agree with the ass thing! ME EITHER.. It's just there and that's how my body is. I'm stuck with it, like it or not. ;) I'm dieting like I would for a show and we'll see what happens. I know I can't train as heavy as I need to for figure but who knows, with shows that I've seen lately, they're not looking for big anymore, they're looking for overall "figure" it seems like, so I might be ok :)

I had the same thing done...HUGE bone spur on my right clavicle. Did they have you do any PT at all? I would think 4 months should be plenty of recovery time, but I guess that's all dependent on your body.

~gymdiva~
07-27-2010, 01:42 PM
ok I'm trying to remember my anatomy lab stuff....hill-sach's lesion? slap tear? oh shoot, there was a third involving the labrum and I can't remember what it was called....

which part was torn in the rotator? hopefully there's no added compression going on in there now since you're having the issues with raising your arm....

good luck with everything! I think you're off to a good start....I look forward to coming back and checking in from time to time :)

NPCfigure
07-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Hey!!!!!!!!!!! Dont I know you from somewhere???? ;) LOL Welcome to RX Danae!

Figuremomof4
07-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Yep... thought another one would be good to do.. ;) Where's YOURS??? ;)

Figuremomof4
07-28-2010, 09:00 PM
Need more cardio... not dropping any weight!! ERG....

NPCfigure
07-29-2010, 08:37 PM
Yep... thought another one would be good to do.. ;) Where's YOURS??? ;)

I procrastinating! LOL !! Gonna start taking pictures at 8 weeks out..so maybe then!

Figuremomof4
07-30-2010, 11:04 AM
So.. lifted legs last night.. Warmed up with ham curls, moved over to squats, did some sled work, extentions, back to ham curls, then dead lifts. UGH.. Did 30 min on treadmill 10 incline 4 speed. Burned 300 calories in 29 min so I was pretty happy with that. Still haven't lost any weight but.... clothes are a little looser. Gonna keep this up and just wait it out.

Figuremomof4
07-31-2010, 09:54 AM
Oh my God are my legs sore.. Serves me right for not lifting all this time while my shoulder was healing.. UGH.. I'm sore as sore can be.. Damn DOMS!!! I'm popping BCAA's like mad to help combat the pain ;) Lifted shoulders last night, yes shoulders. It went ok. I couldn't do everything I wanted or as heavy as I wanted but atleast I tried and I was there. Treadmill again for 30 min 300 calories.. 11 incline 4.2 speed. I'm there, I'm doing it but not losing any weight, I don't know what's going on. I've been eating super clean, about 1200 calories a day and still nothing. I'm hoping it'll just start falling off and soon! I can NOT even THINK about getting on stage in Oct looking like this!! So, I'll just keep plugging along and see what the next weeks bring.

~gymdiva~
08-14-2010, 07:49 AM
doing ok? how's the shoulder?

Figuremomof4
11-13-2010, 09:48 PM
Well, I'm back... Took some time to think and figure out what the hell I wanna do... I'm back!!! Figure comp in April/May 2011. Prep will start in Jan and for now, I'm starting to eat clean to knock off the fat I've gained over the last 8 months off from my shoulder surgery. I got lots to lose and I'm not happy about it but it is what it is and I'm not gonna dwell on it, I'm just gonna move forward from here. I have had massive thought issues about people in my life and what I am feeling and I have come to the conclusion that I am who I am and no one can take that away from me. People can try to be me but no one will ever be me! I'm ready and willing to do whatever it takes to take 1st place in the spring and move forward with my love for fitness. Good things to come my friends, good things to come!!

musclegoddess65
11-13-2010, 10:07 PM
following along.... what show ya doing in IL???

Figuremomof4
11-13-2010, 10:41 PM
There's really only a couple here... NPC Kevin Noble show... OR I can go to Iowa in April... I can also do the Mayo's show, I think they're in April or May as well.. I'm just not sure.. Fed's make a difference.. I did 2 NPC shows last year so I might stick with them, or I might try an ABA show... I'm not sure yet... All depends on how my training goes and where my body takes me. Thanks for following along.. I need all the support I can get right now. Feeling sorry for yourself takes a lot out of you!!! ;)

musclegoddess65
11-14-2010, 07:15 AM
There's really only a couple here... NPC Kevin Noble show... OR I can go to Iowa in April... I can also do the Mayo's show, I think they're in April or May as well.. I'm just not sure.. Fed's make a difference.. I did 2 NPC shows last year so I might stick with them, or I might try an ABA show... I'm not sure yet... All depends on how my training goes and where my body takes me. Thanks for following along.. I need all the support I can get right now. Feeling sorry for yourself takes a lot out of you!!! ;)

I've done Kevin's shows twice... he puts on a decent event... and the fact I personally know the videographer is a plus he does GREAT work... and if Noble hasn't change the photo guy for the show I know him too... .

Trust me I know the whole feeling sorry for yourself BS... I moved from Elmhurst IL in Sept 09 to South Carolina and its been hell... unemployed for 4 months, then a job making less than 1/2 of what I made before, then some personal crap, couple that with food addictions and it being the thing I turn to for comfort... yeah I've got a real "i felt sorry for myself" mess to clean up...the personal hell isn't over yet but I've got to stop and clean up this mess! So far the only plus to this move has been not suffering in cold ass Mid-West temps....

Figuremomof4
11-14-2010, 09:40 AM
I've done Kevin's shows twice... he puts on a decent event... and the fact I personally know the videographer is a plus he does GREAT work... and if Noble hasn't change the photo guy for the show I know him too... .

Trust me I know the whole feeling sorry for yourself BS... I moved from Elmhurst IL in Sept 09 to South Carolina and its been hell... unemployed for 4 months, then a job making less than 1/2 of what I made before, then some personal crap, couple that with food addictions and it being the thing I turn to for comfort... yeah I've got a real "i felt sorry for myself" mess to clean up...the personal hell isn't over yet but I've got to stop and clean up this mess! So far the only plus to this move has been not suffering in cold ass Mid-West temps....

Yes he does put on decent events.. I like him, I like his staff and I like the way they're ran (sometimes a little long, but...) I just don't know if I want to tie myself down to his shows.. I want to do Ottowa in April as well as Bollingbrook ABA in April, then Maybe his in May. Shit, if I'm gonna prep for 16 wks, I might as well make the most of the body, right? His video guy is great and his photog is good too.. I've ordered pics from him of myself and they were great. I know what you mean about the midwestern cold.. it's getting that way now.. I grew up in Mt. Prospect, then when I had my kids we moved out to Lake in the Hills (Crystal Lake area). It's been unseasonable warm here this year but I have a feeling the cold is about to be upon us. It sneaks up like a bat outa hell and it feels like we're never really ready :) Sorry you're going through "feel sorry for myself" stuff.. I am too.. We'll be here to pep each other up! I have tons of feelings going on (really regarding one of my friends taking up figure and blowing past me while I'm hurt). I just am salty a little. I love her, I'm proud of her because she has her own demons she's trying to avoid and get rid of but it feels like she just took advantage of my being hurt to "one up" me... I know that may sound childish and selfish of me but it's how I feel.. So..... as you can see I have MANY things I'm trying to work through along with my hurt shoulder!!! Life's a bitch sometimes!!!:confused:

musclegoddess65
11-14-2010, 04:05 PM
life is a bitch sometimes... couldn't agree more....

I can understand about you and your friend.... one of my best-est friends and I almost lost our friendship over something, that as we look back on it now, was silly... I think it took a lot for both of us to get together and be completely open and honest with each other about how we felt hurt/betrayed by the other. It wasn't easy being so raw and open, but I'm glad we did... friends are hard to come by... i hope y'all get it worked out... sometimes we think at this stage in life we got it all worked out... NOT :)

so 4 kiddo's goodness how do ya find time to think let alone go to the gym or compete... but I'm sure they are your biggest fans! its so awesome to be in the audience and hear the kids screaming GO MOM! Or GO DAD!

Agreed Kevin's shows can run long... I suppose any show can... and your so depleted that day, running on adrenaline, not slept the night before, thirsty... by the time the night show gets there you just wanna shower and take a nap! I think George Pradels son, Colin, tapes the ABA show in Bolingbrook...

For now... I'm not looking to compete again, but who knows... but for now I just want to focus on cleaning up the mess...

musclegoddess65
11-16-2010, 03:39 PM
checking in on ya???