PDA

View Full Version : Home-made Bodybuilding Ice-Cream

jacshelb
07-25-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm sure there's a lot of recipes for this. But, I got a wild hair last night and decided to throw together some high-protein, low sugar/lower fat ice-cream. Now, it isn't sugar free or fat free. But, the sugars and fats are the same ones used in my protein shakes. Anyhoo.. Here it is.

4 whole medium eggs
2 scoops cookies and cream protein powder (vanilla might work better)
12 oz skim milk
2/3 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup (1 protein powder scoop) dextrose mix (mine was berry flavored w/creatine, bcaas etc.)
1/4 cup of table sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup frozen berries (strawberries, black berries, etc)
1/3 cup splenda (the one that is mixed to work like sugar cup for cup)

Now, I just mixed everything in the blender and then put it in my ice-cream maker as I would normal ice-cream mix. But, after being blended it probably had enough air in the mix to make it fluffy and could have been frozen over-night as is.

Also, if you are concerned about it, you can put the milk, salt and eggs in a sauce pan and cook (constantly stirring) on low heat to kill any unwanted bacteria. I didn't worry about it.

It tastes pretty good and I actually ate some for breakfast (Hey, it's Sunday!). For me it makes about 3 servings. But, it's really light, so it could be broken up into 4-6 servings with as much volume as this makes. At 4 servings the nutrition profile would look like this:

Protein: 20 grams

Carbs/sugar: 20 grams (including the fruit!)

Fat: 4.5 grams (only real fat is from the eggs)

So, all in all, a very very clean ice-cream. It's light and fluffy (maybe a bit too light!). It tastes good. The only thing I'd change is that I'd use vanilla protein powder next time and add something like polysorbate 80 (if I had any) to give it a smoother, richer texture. Glycerine might do the same thing to an extent.

stephaniewicked
07-28-2010, 03:10 PM
I've been dying for an ice cream maker for the longest time! I was looking online a few weeks back, but they're expensive and some of the reviews I saw were just so-so. What brand do you have and would you recommend it?? I've wanted one long enough... I'm adding it to the birthday/christmas list this year!!

PS - that sounds really good. Do you have pix, or is it all gone already??

jacshelb
08-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Sorry, it's all gone. I looks like a frozen protein shake, lol. Really it doesn't look bad. You know, with the blending of the ingredients, plenty of air is introduced into the mix- which is what a lot of what happens in the ice-cream maker. Really, you could just blend the ingredients and freeze them in a good container and it'd probably work just as well.