PDA

View Full Version : The Jeff Rodriguez (aka JROD) Q&A Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

ving
02-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Just wondering if Jeff will be posting here? His thread is one of the few reasons I still visit MD.

APOSTLE
02-11-2009, 01:13 AM
Would be cool if Jeff was here.

Method
02-11-2009, 01:47 AM
I do not think the lighting is natural judging from this photo...

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=262249.0;attach=30 3129;image

Honour
02-11-2009, 06:13 AM
This debate has been played over on many boards, and I bet Jrod kinda loves it every time as most natties do when people think they are on juice. IMHO Natural dude with great work ethic, Awsum all the way:).

AVBG
02-11-2009, 01:10 PM
I'd like to see a JROD Q&A thread..

toddbz
02-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Having the lean mean bean here would great.
I wish Dave and John much success

jrod
02-11-2009, 04:20 PM
In support of Dave and John, I'd be glad to have a thread here.

jrod
02-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Ving, thanks for suggesting it first!

Apostle, Honour, AVBG thanks for the warm welcome.

Toddbz, thanks and HAHAHAHA "lean mean bean"

Method, I'll get to your original post in a few minutes--gotta eat first.

toddbz
02-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Anytime brother man! ;)

You ever see Alberto in the gym anymore? His schedule has changed quite a bit with school this semester.

New2thegame
02-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Jeff,
will you be at the Species booth at the Arnold?

BRADLEYC
02-11-2009, 04:58 PM
you telling me this guy is pure natural? how old is he?

beau
02-11-2009, 05:04 PM
First of all awesome to have you here Jeff your a real inspiration for fellow natural lifters. I have a question for you...what are you allowed to take if you don't mind me asking....anything legal OTC? Pro-steroids included?

ving
02-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Ving, thanks for suggesting it first!

Apostle, Honour, AVBG thanks for the warm welcome.

Toddbz, thanks and HAHAHAHA "lean mean bean"

Method, I'll get to your original post in a few minutes--gotta eat first.

No worries Jeff, just great to have you on board!

jrod
02-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Anytime brother man! ;)

You ever see Alberto in the gym anymore? His schedule has changed quite a bit with school this semester.

No i haven't seen him in a while. I stopped working out in Hayward (where I used to see him). I workout in Oakland now cause I moved to Alameda and the gym is a 5 minute drive away.

jrod
02-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Jeff,
will you be at the Species booth at the Arnold?

I wish, but no. I'm not going to the Arnold--too poor this year (or at least this time of the year) :D

MisledYouth
02-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Glad to have you here Jeff!

jrod
02-11-2009, 05:49 PM
you telling me this guy is pure natural? how old is he?

I was born on 1-1-84 (25yrs old) and have been training since I was 17 (8 years total training).

People have different ideas of whats natural, so you'll have to be the judge. (one time some guy told me he was "ALL NATURAL" and didn't take protein powder or anything like that cause he wanted to stay all natural).

But I can tell you what supplements I have taken/take so you can decide (this is my best guess/effort at listing everything I have ever taken):

whey protein (Species' Isolyze: http://www.speciesnutrition.com/order/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3)

creatine

dextrose

BCAA

glutamine

beta alanine

waxy maize

Vitamins (the standard/usual: c, e, b-complex, multi, beta carotene, zinc)

Joint supplement (Arthrolyze)

caffeine (i used to take pills before training, but now just from coffee--cheaper, tastes nice)

ephedrine (only when i really, realy need it--leg day and i feel like shit)
(a friend of mine gave me a few bottles of this to sample: http://www.ximohealth.com/content.asp?page_id=4)

weight gainer (used to take n-large2 when i started, havent taken in 7 years)

EFA supplement (took Omegalyze during last contest prep)

I used to work at max muscle so I have had samples of protein bars, no explode, MRP's and some caffeine based energy drinks.

jrod
02-11-2009, 05:54 PM
First of all awesome to have you here Jeff your a real inspiration for fellow natural lifters. I have a question for you...what are you allowed to take if you don't mind me asking....anything legal OTC? Pro-steroids included?

Allowed to by who? To compete in the Team Universe? I think you're allowed to to compete in the TU (Im not sure but im guessing if its legal OTC you can). However, I have never taken anything like that (no pro-hormones, no anti estrogen, nothing like that). Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against them, I just have never taken them myself.

jrod
02-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Glad to have you here Jeff!

Thanks!

jrod
02-11-2009, 06:18 PM
I do not think HE (the lighting) is natural judging from this photo...

If you can think of a way that would show whether I'm natural or not (as in taken other supplements than I listed above; EG taken steroids or not), please let me know. I would be happy to do whatever it is that would prove it given its 1) not WAY too tedious and time consuming 2) doesn't cost a lot of money (If I were a millionaire, this wouldn't be an issue, but I'm not).

One thing I don't like is that to try prove I've never taken steroids, I often have to put myself down by showing slow progress. Like by saying my gains from year to year are not that great (when compared to a typical steroid user). Oh well, I am what I am.

For starters, I started training at 17 and weighed about 150-155. 8 years later, at age 25, I now weigh about 205-210 in the offseason. Thats about 55 pounds I've put on, which means an average of 6-7 pounds per year. (keep in mind I was 17 when I started. This means even without training I probably would have grown that year and the next few anyway). Also, I gained about 10 pounds my first year, and probably about 10 pounds again my second year of training. This means that these last few years I've put on closer to 4-6 pounds each offseason.

My first show was in 2005, I hardly dieted and weighed in at 173.
In 2006 I weighed in at 175 for one show and at 174 for another show (TU).
In 2007 I weighed in at the TU at 175
In 2008 I weighed in at the TU at 174

All of this at a height of 5'9".

Going back to my first paragraph, let me know if you (or anyone else) has some way of me proving whether or not I'm natural.

beau
02-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Allowed to by who? To compete in the Team Universe? I think you're allowed to to compete in the TU (Im not sure but im guessing if its legal OTC you can). However, I have never taken anything like that (no pro-hormones, no anti estrogen, nothing like that). Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against them, I just have never taken them myself.

Ya sorry I meant by the organization you compete in.

2manytoyz
02-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Its great to have you here

Can you post what your content prep diet looks like

AVBG
02-11-2009, 06:45 PM
This is now Jrod's Q&A thread!

GrayBull
02-11-2009, 07:17 PM
I was born on 1-1-84 (25yrs old) and have been training since I was 17 (8 years total training).

People have different ideas of whats natural, so you'll have to be the judge. (one time some guy told me he was "ALL NATURAL" and didn't take protein powder or anything like that cause he wanted to stay all natural).

But I can tell you what supplements I have taken/take so you can decide (this is my best guess/effort at listing everything I have ever taken):

whey protein (Species' Isolyze: http://www.speciesnutrition.com/order/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3)

creatine

dextrose

BCAA

glutamine

beta alanine

waxy maize

Vitamins (the standard/usual: c, e, b-complex, multi, beta carotene, zinc)

Joint supplement (Arthrolyze)

caffeine (i used to take pills before training, but now just from coffee--cheaper, tastes nice)

ephedrine (only when i really, realy need it--leg day and i feel like shit)
(a friend of mine gave me a few bottles of this to sample: http://www.ximohealth.com/content.asp?page_id=4)

weight gainer (used to take n-large2 when i started, havent taken in 7 years)

EFA supplement (took Omegalyze during last contest prep)

I used to work at max muscle so I have had samples of protein bars, no explode, MRP's and some caffeine based energy drinks.

I knew there was no way you could be natural.
Thanks for clearing this up.
:D

rockhard
02-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Jeff, Great to have you over here! Looking forward to more great info and follow your offseason progress.

mcjandcoolg
02-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Jeff, you are natural. No need to prove anything to anyone... Just wanted to know, precontest, how do you determine the calorie difference from a training day to lets say your off week.

aaronthegreat34
02-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Hey Jeff, I am a big fan. I have two questions. What are your opinions on Dave's diet? Also have you always manipulated your water like you do for contest prep, and do you feel it makes a huge difference as to how try you get?

jjjohns_10
02-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Hey Jeff, giving us natural guys something to live up to! Lookin great my man. Got a question for you: do you usually lift heavy with lower sets in the off-season as in your back/bi's video? Or do you stagger between lighter/higher days and heavier/lower days?

Mindgame
02-11-2009, 10:00 PM
welcome back!

Asmolenski
02-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Good to have you here Jeff. I've been following the TU a couple years now - I am hoping to compete in that show maybe in 2010 but I want to take first in my weight class at my regional shows first in 2009. I am also competing as a middleweight and weighed in at 174 at 5'10" (maybe 5-6% fat) for the NPC Natural Northern USA last October.

Here is my question: You said in the off season you are up to 210 lbs. I am up to 190 right now and even though I only put on 15 lbs I feel like a fat ass. Do you think its necessary to gain a lot of weight in the off season in order to add lean mass naturally? If all we can hope for is 5 or 6 pounds a year under the best of circumstances then whats the use of adding 30 lbs of fat that we have to burn off later with months of diet and cardio? Second question is whats your cardio routine like in the off season and during contest prep. Thanks!

APOSTLE
02-12-2009, 12:19 AM
In support of Dave and John, I'd be glad to have a thread here.

Outstanding Jeff, glad you are here bro.

GrayBull
02-12-2009, 02:12 AM
^^^^ yep yep

Diggy
02-12-2009, 02:36 AM
How many years have you been training? I notice alot of your vids have reggae, I take it you are a fan.

cro0sh
02-12-2009, 02:44 AM
How many years have you been training? I notice alot of your vids have reggae, I take it you are a fan.

already said 8 total

Jrod, what do you think ideal macros are for offseason? Also, do you believe in the 1-1.2g/lb for protein for bulking?

Diggy
02-12-2009, 03:08 AM
already said 8 total

Jrod, what do you think ideal macros are for offseason? Also, do you believe in the 1-1.2g/lb for protein for bulking?

I apologize, I overlooked it

jrod
02-12-2009, 03:13 AM
Its great to have you here

Can you post what your content prep diet looks like

I posted my entire 16 week contest prep diet on my blog at: www.jrod123.blogspot.com (http://www.jrod123.blogspot.com)

On the right side of the blog page, look from May 2008 to September 2008; thats where I posted my diet each week.

Here is my diet at 4 weeks out:

4 WO: 06 August 2008

TRAINING DAY

1) Rice Cakes, 1.5 Isolyze
= 28C, 40P, 0F

TRAIN
Pre: 8 tsp Dextrose, 1.25 Isolyze = 40C, 40P, 0F
Mid: 2 Dextrose, 0.5 Isolyze = 10C, 14P, 0F
25 min post: 2 Dextrose, 0.5 Isolyze = 10C, 14P, 0F

2) 1 hr post: Rice Cakes, 1.5 Isolyze
28C, 40P, 0F

3) 2 ½ hr post: vegetables, 11 egg whites
= 10C, 38P, 0F

(every 2 hours after meal 3, in any order):

4) 3/8 cup oats, 1 Isolyze
= 20C, 27P, 2F

5) Vegetables, 1 Isolyze (or 7 egg whites), 6 Omegalyze
= 10C, 27P, 6F

6) Vegetables, 11 egg whites
= 10C, 38P, 0F

7) Vegetables, 11 egg whites
= 10C, 38P, 0F

TOTALS: 216C, 370P, 8F = 2416 Calories

jrod
02-12-2009, 03:15 AM
This is now Jrod's Q&A thread!

Thanks for setting it up AVBG.

jrod
02-12-2009, 03:24 AM
Jeff, you are natural. No need to prove anything to anyone... Just wanted to know, precontest, how do you determine the calorie difference from a training day to lets say your off week.

You mean off DAY, right?

I don't think I have had an off week during pre-contest time. I schedule my workout cycles so that I take a break right before having to diet (and dieting usually lasts 14-16 weeks). OR, if I do need a break during this time, I'll just take a few extra days off here and there to make up for it, NOT 7 days straight.

If you mean day, I eat about 200-500 calories less than on training days. In the start the difference is greater, but the gap closes as I get closer to the show.

Really, I think it would be ok to have the same number of calories (especially in the start) on off and training days. As long as you make adjustments week to week and gradually reduce calories, you could probably go either way. I find that having less calories on off days is just a good way for me to have less calories (to get leaner faster). And as you get closer to eating very little, off days are a good place to take some food away.

The short answer would be, it probably doesnt matter too much, just be consistent throughout the prep. You can start with having the same calories on off and training days, then as you get closer, start having less on training days. Just make sure you don't do the other way around (Less, then same).

jrod
02-12-2009, 03:49 AM
Hey Jeff, I am a big fan. I have two questions. What are your opinions on Dave's diet? Also have you always manipulated your water like you do for contest prep, and do you feel it makes a huge difference as to how try you get?

I have personally never tried Dave's diet. So all I can say is based on what I've read and heard. From THAT information, it looks like it really works; a lot of people seem to like it. Also, the science behind why seems sound, so it looks like a good diet.

Water manipulation is something I still need to work on to perfect. I think I've done a pretty good job with coming in dry, I would just like more practice. This is why I want to do one show before the TU this year. I would like to try something a bit (nothing drastically different) different with water, like having MORE on show day. This will probably cause me to weigh more, though, which means I'd for sure be a light heavy (thats fine, as long as I look better).

Anyway, back to your questions.

Have I always done it like this: YES. I didnt do anything for my first show (but thats a given:D, as I didn't know anything). BUT, starting in 2006 I've done it very close to how I do now (I've made a few adjustments, but the basic idea is the same: lots of water and salt for several weeks, then little water salt the day/s before).

(Yes, Skip, I learned a lot of what I know about water manipulation from you/reading your stuff. And lets not forget Jeff Willet, too!)

does it make a huge difference as to how dry I get: I think so. However, I think that once I get to about 3-4 weeks out, no matter what I do I look pretty dry throughout the day because of how lean I am (despite drinking at least 3 gallons of water per day). It probably makes a slight difference (a bit crisper), but will not make up for all the weeks of dieting.

Some pictures might help you decide....
***First one is 3 weeks out (I had just finished training and drank about 2 gallons of water by the time of the picture.
***Second picture is 2 weeks out (this is right after the in the trenches pre-contest back video) I drank about 2-2.5 gallons at this time.
***Third one is from the Team Universe prejuding (about 3/4-1 gallon of water by this time).

aznlifter
02-12-2009, 04:16 AM
Fuck Daniel.

Super Bowl ASC Party

jrod
02-12-2009, 04:23 AM
Hey Jeff, giving us natural guys something to live up to! Lookin great my man. Got a question for you: do you usually lift heavy with lower sets in the off-season as in your back/bi's video? Or do you stagger between lighter/higher days and heavier/lower days?

Thanks!

In general/most of the time I lift heavy (4-8 reps) and low number of sets (4-8 sets) like in that offseason back video. BUT, sometimes if i'm just not "feeling it" or something feels wrong/bad (like my knee/elbow/shoulder/whatever) is sore no matter what exercise I do, I'll go lighter. I would say on average I take it a bit easier/go lighter about 1 week out of every 3-4 weeks. Also, I find that I make better progress and get stronger by backing off a bit every so often. You'll have to figure out when "every so often" is for you by feel/trial and error; for me its about once a month or so.

jrod
02-12-2009, 04:50 AM
Good to have you here Jeff. I've been following the TU a couple years now - I am hoping to compete in that show maybe in 2010 but I want to take first in my weight class at my regional shows first in 2009. I am also competing as a middleweight and weighed in at 174 at 5'10" (maybe 5-6% fat) for the NPC Natural Northern USA last October.

Here is my question: You said in the off season you are up to 210 lbs. I am up to 190 right now and even though I only put on 15 lbs I feel like a fat ass. Do you think its necessary to gain a lot of weight in the off season in order to add lean mass naturally? If all we can hope for is 5 or 6 pounds a year under the best of circumstances then whats the use of adding 30 lbs of fat that we have to burn off later with months of diet and cardio? Second question is whats your cardio routine like in the off season and during contest prep. Thanks!

Nice. Maybe I'll see you at the TU then. How'd you do at the Natural Northern? So if you win your class THIS year at the regional show/s, any chance you'll just take advantage of the fact that you're dieted down already and show up at the TU in September ;)!

Onto your question... "Do you think its necessary to gain a lot of weight in the off season in order to add lean mass naturally? NO, I don't think one needs to get fat/put on a bunch of weight to put on muscle. As long as you eat enough calories to grow, anymore will just be stored--you wont just grow faster. "If all we can hope for is 5 or 6 pounds a year under the best of circumstances then whats the use of adding 30 lbs of fat that we have to burn off later with months of diet and cardio?"
I don't know if 5-6 pounds is the limit for how much muscle one can put on naturally, thats just ABOUT what it is for me. But anyway, for some people, its just easier to put on bodyfat and they have to be stricter with their diet just to stay in decent off season shape. For others, they can get away with eating more and still stay pretty lean. I personally like staying leaner (and my body is naturally like that), but some people might rather just enjoy eating and during the offseason and deal with the consequences/make up for it when they diet.

Hahaha, I have a feeling you're refering to the fact that I weigh 205-210, yet weigh in at 175. If thats the case, let me explain this strange thing that happens to me (at least the past 2 years).

This is from this past TU/2008. Throughout the last week before the show I was waking up and weighing about 184 first thing in the morning. At 2 days out, I drank 5 gallons of water and weighed about 190 right before going to bed. The next morning (weigh ins) I woke up weighing 178! Since weigh-ins were only a few hours later, I just minimized water intake and made the cutoff of 176 (im guessing the scale was a bit light, too cause I weighed in at 174). There is something about drinking a ton of water the day before that makes me wake up weighing even less than usual.

CARDIO:

Offseason I do not do cardio. Pre-contest, I usually don't do a lot. In 2007 I did 14 sessions over 14 weeks. This last year I did 10 session over 16 weeks. However, when I do cardio, I do something like max ot cardio/ HIIT cardio. I do a total of about 15 minutes split up usually in 2, sometimes 3 parts. For example, I'll do 5 minutes on the treadmill, take a 2 min break, then 5 minutes on the stationary bike, 2 min break, then 5 minutes on the stair climber. Each of these 5 minute sessions are done intensely, and I try to better each session compared to the previous (EG if I went a mile on the treadmill, then next time I'll try to beat a mile).

jrod
02-12-2009, 05:20 AM

8 years. Yeah I like reggae. Aside from liking reggae, I put them in because I've never heard training/reggae put together. But I don't actually listen to reggae during a set (maybe while driving to the gym or mixing my shake).

jrod
02-12-2009, 05:22 AM
already said 8 total

First of all, I believe in finding what works best for YOU. With that said, I like to have closer to 2g of protein/pound. Over the years I've learned that I make better gains when I eat A LOT of protein. I could probably get away with less, but I'm not interested in finding the lower limit for how much protein I need.

Try out 1.5g/lb (or 2g if you like) and see how that works for you.

jrod
02-12-2009, 05:32 AM
Fuck Daniel.

Super Bowl ASC Party

Hahaha... Daniel is going to like reading this.

While we are on the subject. Do any of you guys have people over to watch the Arnold/Olympia? I know its only webcasted (not HD or whatever) but its the best thing we (in BB) have.

People have superbowl parties, right. How come we don't have Arnold/Olympia parties? (for those of us who don't go)

mogo07
02-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Hey j rod thanks for answering our questions its very valuable info thanks for taking the time.

I think the reason people dont have olympia parties is because its webcast n u cant fit many people around a computer and it always drops out.

Anyway I was wondering why you do low sets and reps for every body part is this in an effort to lift more weight, to avoid overtraining or some other reason

aaronthegreat34
02-12-2009, 09:06 AM
[quote=jrod;12335]
Water manipulation is something I still need to work on to perfect. I think I've done a pretty good job with coming in dry, I would just like more practice. quote]

http://www.musculardevelopment.com/photos/thumbs/jeff0604318_RT8_thumbnail.jpg

Thanks a lot. And I think that you having done a pretty good job at coming in dry is a HUGE understatement!

aaronthegreat34
02-12-2009, 09:11 AM
I posted my entire 16 week contest prep diet on my blog at: www.jrod123.blogspot.com (http://www.jrod123.blogspot.com)

On the right side of the blog page, look from May 2008 to September 2008; thats where I posted my diet each week.

Here is my diet at 4 weeks out:

4 WO: 06 August 2008

TRAINING DAY

1) Rice Cakes, 1.5 Isolyze
= 28C, 40P, 0F

TRAIN
Pre: 8 tsp Dextrose, 1.25 Isolyze = 40C, 40P, 0F
Mid: 2 Dextrose, 0.5 Isolyze = 10C, 14P, 0F
25 min post: 2 Dextrose, 0.5 Isolyze = 10C, 14P, 0F

2) 1 hr post: Rice Cakes, 1.5 Isolyze
28C, 40P, 0F

3) 2 ½ hr post: vegetables, 11 egg whites
= 10C, 38P, 0F

(every 2 hours after meal 3, in any order):

4) 3/8 cup oats, 1 Isolyze
= 20C, 27P, 2F

5) Vegetables, 1 Isolyze (or 7 egg whites), 6 Omegalyze
= 10C, 27P, 6F

6) Vegetables, 11 egg whites
= 10C, 38P, 0F

7) Vegetables, 11 egg whites
= 10C, 38P, 0F

TOTALS: 216C, 370P, 8F = 2416 Calories

You a vegetarian?

Asmolenski
02-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Nice. Maybe I'll see you at the TU then. How'd you do at the Natural Northern? So if you win your class THIS year at the regional show/s, any chance you'll just take advantage of the fact that you're dieted down already and show up at the TU in September ;)!

Thanks for the detailed reply Jeff. I placed 3rd at the Natural Northern USA as a Middleweight. I am going back in October and want 1st this time - I was 174 and probably about 5-6% fat so I am trying to put on 5 or 6 pounds lean mass and come in with 3 or 4 lbs less fat so I can stay in the Middelweight class. Like you during the final week I dropped about 8 pounds - I was 178 and went all the way to 170 before carbing up to 174 for weigh ins.

Regarding the TU this September I will still be a month out from the Natural Northern USA which is in October. I don't believe I will be competitive enough for 2009 TU but I do plan to make a trip to NYC for the show - maybe I can be one of the first to congratulate you on an IFBB pro card :-)

JaimeSandovalJr
02-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Welcome Jeff Big fan of yours. Is thisthe "Ripp Jeff Rodriguez forum"? These guys are claiming your not natural, thats a low blow.

toddbz
02-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Jeff do you ever consider taking a year off (or so) to allow for growth since you contest weight has remained pretty constant?
Seems like the natty guys that compete every year have such a tough time since 1/2 the year is spent prepping or resetting the metabolism.

nutratroy
02-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Hey Jeff! It is Troy. Hope your well brother. Glad to see you here breaking it off proper like. Enjoying your reads:)

See u in NY!

jrod
02-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Hey j rod thanks for answering our questions its very valuable info thanks for taking the time.

I think the reason people dont have olympia parties is because its webcast n u cant fit many people around a computer and it always drops out.

Anyway I was wondering why you do low sets and reps for every body part is this in an effort to lift more weight, to avoid overtraining or some other reason

Its in an effort to build muscle. I think that FOR ME this is the best/most efficient way to build muscle. Plus, I'm used to and like training this way.

jrod
02-12-2009, 07:00 PM
You a vegetarian?

haha, no not at all. I was just keeping things simple at that point. Also, I eat a lot of vegetables when close to the show because 1) I get leaner, faster eating vegetables and 2) I get to eat more volume (more food for the same number of calories) when I eat vegetables compared to someting like rice or pasta.

jrod
02-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply Jeff. I placed 3rd at the Natural Northern USA as a Middleweight. I am going back in October and want 1st this time - I was 174 and probably about 5-6% fat so I am trying to put on 5 or 6 pounds lean mass and come in with 3 or 4 lbs less fat so I can stay in the Middelweight class. Like you during the final week I dropped about 8 pounds - I was 178 and went all the way to 170 before carbing up to 174 for weigh ins.

Regarding the TU this September I will still be a month out from the Natural Northern USA which is in October. I don't believe I will be competitive enough for 2009 TU but I do plan to make a trip to NYC for the show - maybe I can be one of the first to congratulate you on an IFBB pro card :-)

Nice job. I've heard thats a good show.

:eek: We'll see about that pro card thing, but I'll see you in NY!

AVBG
02-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Would you apply and accept the pro card if you won the overall at TU?

Diggy
02-12-2009, 07:21 PM
8 years. Yeah I like reggae. Aside from liking reggae, I put them in because I've never heard training/reggae put together. But I don't actually listen to reggae during a set (maybe while driving to the gym or mixing my shake).

Thanks for the reply, if you need/want any music let me know.

jrod
02-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Welcome Jeff Big fan of yours. Is thisthe "Ripp Jeff Rodriguez forum"? These guys are claiming your not natural, thats a low blow.

Thanks, Jaime.

Nah, its not too big of a deal; I don't take it personally. Its totally ok for someone to think I'm not natural since different people have different ideas of what can be achieved without steroids. Sure, its not nice having to defend/prove yourself when you're being called a cheater/liar, but I just try to keep things in perspective and remember that maybe its not their fault--they just have a different perspective.

In reality, aside from passing the drug tests at the TU (which there are probably ways around), what is to say I'm REALLY natural? I think what people tend to base their decision around (of whether I'm natural or not) is what THEY think (from what they've seen, read, heard, achieved themselves, etc.) is achieveable without steroids. I guess I can't really blame them for that.

So, if someone doesn't think I'm natural, thats ok; and if they do, great. Either way, I'm just here to enjoy the thread, learn, and share knowledge.

jrod
02-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Jeff do you ever consider taking a year off (or so) to allow for growth since you contest weight has remained pretty constant?
Seems like the natty guys that compete every year have such a tough time since 1/2 the year is spent prepping or resetting the metabolism.

Thats a good point. Yeah, its crossed my mind and might be a good idea. Maybe in the future, but after winning my class at last year's TU, Im too excited about doing it again this year to skip it. Also, my friend Daniel is doing the TU this year, so it would be fun to get to do it with him.

jrod
02-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Hey Jeff! It is Troy. Hope your well brother. Glad to see you here breaking it off proper like. Enjoying your reads:)

See u in NY!

Whats up, Troy. Nice to see you here.

See you in NY!

jrod
02-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Would you apply and accept the pro card if you won the overall at TU?

It would be nice to have to make that kind of a decision. :D

I haven't thought much about this, but off the top of my head I would say NO.

It would be great to step on a pro stage one day (even if I wasn't competitive). If I were older, I think I'd say yes, cause I could just make my last show a pro show. I have too much bodybuilding ahead of me as it stands, though. Also, if I could win it now, I could probably win it again one day down the line (I'd improve over the years), so I'd probably just compete in other NPC shows if I did win.

APOSTLE
02-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Hey Jeff, I know from reading your posts elsewhere that you train Max OT but put your own twist on it by training with a different split not the usual 5 days a week. Have you ever used the program but only trained 3 days a week, like Mon-Wed-Fri or would that split the body up over too many days?

Really look forward to your input on this. I am getting back to lifting after having surgery on my ankle and breaking my wrist in a car accident and this 5 days a week would kick my butt. I do however like the way Max OT is set up and would like to use it.

jrod
02-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the reply, if you need/want any music let me know.

Thanks.
I always need/want more good music!

aaronthegreat34
02-12-2009, 08:25 PM
haha, no not at all. I was just keeping things simple at that point. Also, I eat a lot of vegetables when close to the show because 1) I get leaner, faster eating vegetables and 2) I get to eat more volume (more food for the same number of calories) when I eat vegetables compared to someting like rice or pasta.
haha ya I was just joking around just thought it was odd that there was no meat. But whatever works.

jrod
02-12-2009, 11:54 PM
Hey Jeff, I know from reading your posts elsewhere that you train Max OT but put your own twist on it by training with a different split not the usual 5 days a week. Have you ever used the program but only trained 3 days a week, like Mon-Wed-Fri or would that split the body up over too many days?

Really look forward to your input on this. I am getting back to lifting after having surgery on my ankle and breaking my wrist in a car accident and this 5 days a week would kick my butt. I do however like the way Max OT is set up and would like to use it.

I've never done a 3 day/week split but I dont see why I cannot be done. If you want to train everything in those 3 days, you might have to spend a bit more time per session (compared to doing it in 4 or 5), but I think you can get good results like that.

Mon: Back, Biceps, forearms, traps

Wed: Quads, Hamstrings, calves

Fri: Chest, Triceps, Shoulders, Abs

That is one way to do it.

APOSTLE
02-12-2009, 11:59 PM
I've never done a 3 day/week split but I dont see why I cannot be done. If you want to train everything in those 3 days, you might have to spend a bit more time per session (compared to doing it in 4 or 5), but I think you can get good results like that.

Thanks Jeff, I am gonna give that a run for 5 or 6 weeks and then move to a 4 day split. Thanks for the help man, you are a good dude.

cro0sh
02-13-2009, 12:35 AM

This is about the only way I see results :confused: :mad:

shit genetics or what?

mcjandcoolg
02-13-2009, 03:47 AM
I've been using Max O-T since my show last June and I have to tell you the changes in my body have been dramatic. The five days a week thing was tough getting used to as I used to do Mon, Wed, Fri. Knees are starting to hurt from the heaving squatting though. Will try 4 day split next off-season. In terms of recovery to me, Glutamine is king. Looking forward to seeing Jeff's prep for this years TU.

2manytoyz
02-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Thank you for posting up your diet so fast.

I wish you luck in the future.

Dr.Natural1988
02-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Just want to say I'm a huge fan J-Rod, and I believe you are truly natural and have nothing to prove to anybody. Furthermore, if people are asking, you must be doing something right!

jrod
02-13-2009, 03:48 PM
This is about the only way I see results :confused: :mad:

shit genetics or what?

Huh?

jrod
02-13-2009, 03:49 PM
I've been using Max O-T since my show last June and I have to tell you the changes in my body have been dramatic. The five days a week thing was tough getting used to as I used to do Mon, Wed, Fri. Knees are starting to hurt from the heaving squatting though. Will try 4 day split next off-season. In terms of recovery to me, Glutamine is king. Looking forward to seeing Jeff's prep for this years TU.

Yeah that happens to me too. If I squat for too many weeks in a row my knee/s start to bother me too. That is why I back off every once in a while. And I make sure to do this BEFORE it hurts or at the first sign. Once it really hurts, its a bit too late.

toddbz
02-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Thats a good point. Yeah, its crossed my mind and might be a good idea. Maybe in the future, but after winning my class at last year's TU, Im too excited about doing it again this year to skip it. Also, my friend Daniel is doing the TU this year, so it would be fun to get to do it with him.

Yeah with the success you had I really can't blame you at all.
177 this year!!! woot woot!! ;)

jrod
02-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Just want to say I'm a huge fan J-Rod, and I believe you are truly natural and have nothing to prove to anybody. Furthermore, if people are asking, you must be doing something right!

Thanks!

JaimeSandovalJr
02-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Hey Jeff, I thanks for the NPC Calendar. I have a beginners question; what advice would you have for someone who is comtenplating on competing in his first show and all that comes with it like I am ?

bigw0rm71
02-13-2009, 07:26 PM
yessssssss...i was hopin you would end up comin over here whas happening brotha

Taz
02-14-2009, 12:09 AM
Jeff do you have a link to your off-season diet? We've done a bit of a feature on you on our Aussie forum www.bodybuilders.com.au/forum - you've impressed a lot of Australians :)

bluedata
02-14-2009, 05:27 PM
IMHO jrod should be posting in the "Celebrity Q&A" section of this forum.
He deserves it.

jrod
02-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Yeah with the success you had I really can't blame you at all.
177 this year!!! woot woot!! ;)

HAHAHA @ 177. That was pretty funny, actually.

If weigh ins were just one day before they usually are (as in 2 days out instead of 1) I would weigh in at or close to 190! (or maybe I could just drink 5 gallons of water 1 day longer).

jrod
02-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Hey Jeff, I thanks for the NPC Calendar. I have a beginners question; what advice would you have for someone who is comtenplating on competing in his first show and all that comes with it like I am ?

I would suggest finding someone who has already competed and learner from them. If there is no one you know that has been there before, then here is probably your next best solution ;).

Focus on your diet more than anything. The tan, posing routine, etc. are all important, but you'll go a long way simply having dieted well.

As far as what show to do, find a local, regional level show to do (or schedule 2 that are close together).

No matter what, I'm sure you'll have a great time and learn a lot from the experience.

jrod
02-14-2009, 06:23 PM
yessssssss...i was hopin you would end up comin over here whas happening brotha

Hahaha. Yup, I made it over. Good to see you here.

jrod
02-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Jeff do you have a link to your off-season diet? We've done a bit of a feature on you on our Aussie forum www.bodybuilders.com.au/forum (http://www.bodybuilders.com.au/forum) - you've impressed a lot of Australians :)

Cool, thanks for sharing that.

My diet (everything from pre-contest to offseason) is posted on my blog: www.jrod123.blogspot.com (http://www.jrod123.blogspot.com)

Pasted belowe is my current offseason diet (link is to where its located on my blog)
http://jrod123.blogspot.com/2008/09/offseason-post-tu-2008.html

TRAINING DAY (basic structure of diet)

1) High GI Carbs, 1.5 Isolyze
= 35C, 40P, 0F

TRAIN
Pre: 8 Dextrose, 1.25 Isolyze = 40C, 40P, 0F
Mid: 2 Dextrose, 0.5 Isolyze = 15C, 14P, 0F

2) 45 min post: High GI Carbs, Protein, Low Fat
35C, 40P, 0-5F

3) 1.5 hr after meal 2: Low GI Carbs, Protein, Low/Moderate Fat
= 35C, 40P, 0-10F

(every 1.5 - 2 hours after meal 3, in any order):

4) – 7) Low GI Carbs, Protein, Moderate/High Fat
= 35C, 40-50P, 15-20F

Approximate TOTALS: 340+C, 410+P, 80+F = 3700-3900 calories

OFF DAY (basic structure of diet)

1) High GI Carbs, 1.5 Isolyze
= 35C, 40P, 0F

2) – 7 or 8) Low GI Carbs, Protein, Moderate/High Fat
= 35-40C, 40-50P, 10-20F

Approximate TOTALS: 300+C, 400+P, 70+F = 3400 calories

TRAINING DAY (sample day’s diet)

1) Rice Cakes or Cream of Wheat, 1.5 Isolyze
= 35C, 40P, 0F

TRAIN
Pre: 8 Dextrose, 1.25 Isolyze = 40C, 40P, 0F
Mid: 2 Dextrose, 0.5 Isolyze = 15C, 14P, 0F

2) 45 min post: Instant Rice or Rice Cakes, Chicken Breast
35C, 40P, 0-5F

3) 1.5 hr after meal 2: Basmati Rice, Chicken or Lean Beef
= 35C, 40P, 0-10F

(every 1.5 - 2 hours after meal 3, in any order):

4) Oats and/or Banana, Isolyze, Nuts (macadamia, almonds, or walnuts)
= 35C, 40-50P, 15-20F

5) Basmati Rice, Chicken Breast, 4-6 Omega 3 Eggs
= 35C, 40-50P, 15-25F

6) Basmati Rice, Steak or Fish or Chicken, Macadamia nut oil
= 35C, 40-50P, 15-20F

7) Oats and/or Banana, Isolyze, Nuts (macadamia, almonds, or walnuts)
= 35C, 40-50P, 15-20F

Approximate TOTALS: 340C, 410P, 80F = 3700 calories

jrod
02-14-2009, 06:30 PM
IMHO jrod should be posting in the "Celebrity Q&A" section of this forum.
He deserves it.

Haha, thanks.

I kind of like it here, though.

Taz
02-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Thanks mate - I've posted it up on our board along with the link to your blog

cro0sh
02-14-2009, 11:19 PM
Huh?

lol

was just saying just about the only way i make gains is low/midish volume 3 days a week

I dont know if its because I have shit genetics or what.. no idea how people can train 5 days a week

I've tried 4-5 days a week, gained weight to boot and still not gone up in lifts.. lol failure!

Spy vs Spy
02-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Whats up j-rod... good to have you around. Just wanted to say I meet you and your gf at the TU last year wile you where sitting in my seat watching the prejudging go on, so i sat behind you and talked to you for a few dont know if you remember... you guys seem like a good couple. Anyway ill be at the TU this year hopefully bringing in a friend of my for figure. Question, what show would you be doing before the TU this time around?

aaronthegreat34
02-15-2009, 10:28 PM
Hey Jeff I asked you about Dave's diet and about your water manipulation. Now I just wanted to ask about how your water would work on Dave's diet?lol Because your body doesn't hold on to as much water without carbs, correct?

jrod
02-16-2009, 04:29 AM
lol

was just saying just about the only way i make gains is low/midish volume 3 days a week

I dont know if its because I have shit genetics or what.. no idea how people can train 5 days a week

I've tried 4-5 days a week, gained weight to boot and still not gone up in lifts.. lol failure!

Doesn't mean you have bad genetics; maybe thats just whats best for you. On the bright side, you know have an idea of what works for you and I guess you could think of it like you don't need to train as often as other people do.

Actually I don't do well training 5 days/week, every week either. 2 days on, 1 day off!

jrod
02-16-2009, 04:34 AM
Whats up j-rod... good to have you around. Just wanted to say I meet you and your gf at the TU last year wile you where sitting in my seat watching the prejudging go on, so i sat behind you and talked to you for a few dont know if you remember... you guys seem like a good couple. Anyway ill be at the TU this year hopefully bringing in a friend of my for figure. Question, what show would you be doing before the TU this time around?

Honestly, I don't remember :D. I'd probably remember if I saw you, though.

This next time I see you, make sure you say hi and I'll remember it! Im sure if you remind me of this I wont forget.

As for what show, I was hoping the NPC would send a US Team (TU winners) to the World Games, but they decided not to, so now I have to choose a different show. I still haven't decided. I was hoping to do a loca show, but the TU being in September makes it a bit difficult for me to time it with other shows around my area.

jrod
02-16-2009, 04:37 AM
Hey Jeff I asked you about Dave's diet and about your water manipulation. Now I just wanted to ask about how your water would work on Dave's diet?lol Because your body doesn't hold on to as much water without carbs, correct?

I've never done Dave's diet so I really could not say. Really, though, I think a lot of people mistake "holding water" for having more bodyfat than they think. I think once you diet down to very, very, very lean, its pretty hard NOT to look dry.

toddbz
02-16-2009, 02:25 PM
HAHAHA @ 177. That was pretty funny, actually.

If weigh ins were just one day before they usually are (as in 2 days out instead of 1) I would weigh in at or close to 190! (or maybe I could just drink 5 gallons of water 1 day longer).

You have to pee every 30-45 seconds doing that! ;P

Now we often see the big bodybuilder walking around with his ONE gallon water jug...Jeff has one of those 5 gallon ones that goes on top of a cooler!
Good for da biceps to!! lol

Koubs
02-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Jeff,

How did you develop your current way of eating/training? What sources of information did you turn to?

Besides simple trial and error, was there anything else that influenced you into thinking "OK, this is what I believe to be the most effective way for me to diet/fuel my body"?

Mufasa
02-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Great thread, Jeff!

You look very full and tight here, Jeff...not contest ripped, but I would imagine not far off. (Maybe just water at this point?)

How much above contest weight are you here?

If near a contest, about how far out were you?

Thanks!

Mufasa

bluedata
02-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Jeff, I bet you have answered this many times, sorry for that.

How long do you rest between sets? Do you time yourself using a watch or just make an approximation?

jrod
02-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Jeff,

How did you develop your current way of eating/training? What sources of information did you turn to?

Besides simple trial and error, was there anything else that influenced you into thinking "OK, this is what I believe to be the most effective way for me to diet/fuel my body"?

When I first started going to the gym I met this guy who I would ask advice from. All I remember him telling me was he ate a lot of protein and lifted heavy--between 4 and 6 reps.

A few months later I discovered the website of AST. The training method they suggest, Max OT, and the diet made a lot of sense to me (and was comfortable) because I had already began training somewhat like that. I read all the Q&As, articles, and learned about Skip La Cour and Jeff Willet. These two people are probably who I learned from most when I first started.

jrod
02-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Great thread, Jeff!

You look very full and tight here, Jeff...not contest ripped, but I would imagine not far off. (Maybe just water at this point?)

How much above contest weight are you here?

If near a contest, about how far out were you?

Thanks!

Mufasa

I am completely offseason in that picture (taken about 2 weeks ago).

I usually weigh in as a middle weight (176 cut off) and weighed about 207 in that picture, so I am/was about 30 pounds over what I weigh in at. More accurately, I'm probably about 15-20 pounds off what I would weigh if I were in shape and it not being the day of weigh ins (like a week or 2 out).

jrod
02-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Jeff, I bet you have answered this many times, sorry for that.

How long do you rest between sets? Do you time yourself using a watch or just make an approximation?

I rest about 3-3:30 minutes between most exercises. For smaller/easier bodyparts like calves, forearms, abs I rest between 2-2:30.

Though it doesn't have to be down to the second, I still use a stop-watch. If I were to make approximations I probably would mess up a lot and rest 5+ minutes sometimes cause I think/feel like I need it :D

Ironman19871
02-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Jeff, I see that you use a rep scheme of: 4-8 sets w/ 4-8 reps(as shown in your Back/Bis video) on thing I noticed is that you went right into heavy working sets. Do you warm up before those sets? If yes, what do you do?(an example from your back/bi day would be great).

jrod
02-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Jeff, I see that you use a rep scheme of: 4-8 sets w/ 4-8 reps(as shown in your Back/Bis video) on thing I noticed is that you went right into heavy working sets. Do you warm up before those sets? If yes, what do you do?(an example from your back/bi day would be great).

Yes, I warmed up before the back sets. We didn't film it cause filming is not allowed at that gym so we were trying to minimize filming.

Before that back workout I did 4 total warm ups (of barbell rows), as follows:

1) 6 reps at 135

2) 4 reps at 225

3) 2-3 reps at 275

4) 1 rep at 335

Then before biceps I did 1 set of 1 rep at 135 on barbell curls.

Thats all.

And for other body parts it about the same. I start of doing 4 total warm ups and each warm up set gets progressively heavier until the last warm up set, which i do 1 rep of a weight that is close to my working/real set weight.

mcjandcoolg
02-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Hi Jeff, I have a hard time feeling the hams while doing my heavy 4-6 reps of stiff-legged deadlifts. Any suggestions?

jrod
02-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Hi Jeff, I have a hard time feeling the hams while doing my heavy 4-6 reps of stiff-legged deadlifts. Any suggestions?

Actually, I do too. I have a hard time having good form and focusing on hamstrings (as opposed to lower back) going so heavy on SLDL; so with those my rep range is a bit higher, around 6-8. Give that a try and hopefully that will do the trick.

Also, another thing you can do is shift the weight to your heels (as opposed to toes), stick out your but, keep your legs a bit shy of locked, and always keep the bar really close to your body. I notice I feel like im work my hamstrings a lot more if Im focusing on keeping the weight to my heels and sticking my butt out.

tornquad2
02-19-2009, 09:35 AM
how do you decide weather to drop to middle or go light heavy!!!based on condition were are you at when you decide this,how much you weigh or bodyfat wise.example if your say 190 at 4% bf would you suck down to middleweight

jrod
02-19-2009, 04:40 PM
how do you decide weather to drop to middle or go light heavy!!!based on condition were are you at when you decide this,how much you weigh or bodyfat wise.example if your say 190 at 4% bf would you suck down to middleweight

Here's what I do. I diet for X amount of weeks. Once I'm a few days out I do some water, sodium manipulations..... Then when I wake up on the day of weigh ins, its usually decided for me.

I have not had a problem making the middle weight class, even at this past TU.

I suppose GENERALLY speaking, I would suggest doing the lighter/lower class if you had the choice. BUT, I would not suggest choosing a class to shoot for then doing your diet/water based around making that class.

I say diet down till you are as lean as possible, get dry (basically try to look your absolute best) and wherever you fall, thats where you should be (because that is where you look your best at). At least this is how I do it.

TheNaturalOne
02-20-2009, 02:49 PM
What do u do to get your triceps to form that way? Is it the kind of food you eat? The kind of protein you eat? How can get them to grow that way? Any exercise suggestions? Please let me know!

jrod
02-20-2009, 06:42 PM
What do u do to get your triceps to form that way? Is it the kind of food you eat? The kind of protein you eat? How can get them to grow that way? Any exercise suggestions? Please let me know!

I know you can speak russian, but can you read this: Вы - идиот

Your triceps are fine!

Now tell me about this:

how do expert marketers, who intuitively understand how to structure a message, ensure that the right users get that message and can act on it quickly.

JaimeSandovalJr
02-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Hey Jeff, Is is realistic to get absolutely shredded to the bone in 16 weeks or is that only effective for seasoned competitors?

jrod
02-21-2009, 10:22 PM
Hey Jeff, Is is realistic to get absolutely shredded to the bone in 16 weeks or is that only effective for seasoned competitors?

Don't limit yourself.

For sure it is realistic. And you'll learn a lot trying.

Here are pictures from the 2006 Contra Costa; my first shot at a real diet. I dieted for 10 weeks.

Mufasa
02-21-2009, 10:30 PM
What was your height and weight there, J?

And I KNOW you posted it once (sorry!); How close do you stay to your contest weight off-season?

Mufasa

beau
02-21-2009, 10:51 PM
Don't limit yourself.

For sure it is realistic. And you'll learn a lot trying.

Here are pictures from the 2006 Contra Costa; my first shot at a real diet. I dieted for 10 weeks.

Those pics are insane....that's conditioning! wow....

Jeff do you take OTC diuretics before contests?? Dandelion root etc and if so what and how much.

Muscle Demon
02-22-2009, 12:15 AM

Jeff do you take OTC diuretics before contests?? Dandelion root etc and if so what and how much.
:rolleyes:

why would he? he's a natural, naturals don't hold water like gear users.

Muscle Demon
02-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Jeff ....... how much do you bench? :D

and, on Barbell Rows, I saw that you use momentum, do you feel it's better that way instead of using no momentum?

jrod
02-22-2009, 04:03 AM
What was your height and weight there, J?

And I KNOW you posted it once (sorry!); How close do you stay to your contest weight off-season?

Mufasa

No problem!

My height is 5'9" and I believe I weighed in at 175 for that show.

My offseason weight at the time was probably about 195

Now my offseason weight is about 207 and my last show, 2008 Team Universe, I weighed in at 174.

jrod
02-22-2009, 04:07 AM

I've never taken anything like that. Probably the closest thing would be a few espresso shots before pre-juding (caffeine).

jrod
02-22-2009, 04:12 AM
Jeff ....... how much do you bench? :D

and, on Barbell Rows, I saw that you use momentum, do you feel it's better that way instead of using no momentum?

I'm benching about 585 for 10....Ha

I bench around 315 in the 4-6 rep range, but I haven't benched in a while.

As for the momentum on barbell rows, I just like doing them like that. Thats the way they feel best and most natural. I dont like being really stiff when I lift, its not comfortable and I can't handle as much weight. I think there is a happy medium between too little and too much momentum; you need to find where it is for you.

Do I think its better, for me I do... for you...well, you'll have to try out both ways and figure out what works best for YOU. (though, of course, I would suggest my way ;)).

davidyes
02-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Jeff,
What exercises do you do for your biceps and triceps?

JaimeSandovalJr
02-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Dude you have Insomia 2am and asnwering questions thats hardcore bro.Do you get sore after EVERY single workout or does it very depending on how heavy you went or not? Who do you have as your top 6 at the "Natural" lol Arnold Classic Jeff?

Blakryno
02-22-2009, 03:21 PM
J-Rod. Plenty of inspiration and lots of good advice. I'll be checking up on this thread quite often!

Shulk
02-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Jeff, in a past article or webcast you had mentioned that a lot of your information that you base your training on is from Jeff Willet and Skip Lacour's training journals. Where would one get their hands on such a journal...bookstore, internet, website?

jrod
02-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Jeff,
What exercises do you do for your biceps and triceps?

Biceps:

Barbell Curls
Dumbbell curls
hammer curls
cable curls
seated dumbbell curls
seated hammer curls

Triceps:
Lying extensions (with a curl bar)
close grip decline (or flat) bench press
push downs
dips (keeping upright/minimizing forward lean)
Hammer Strength machine dips (easy to stay upright and work triceps)
Over head dumbbell extensions (seated upright on the short-back/shoulder press bench)

jrod
02-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Dude you have Insomia 2am and asnwering questions thats hardcore bro.Do you get sore after EVERY single workout or does it very depending on how heavy you went or not? Who do you have as your top 6 at the "Natural" lol Arnold Classic Jeff?

Nah, I just naturally sleep late... dont know why.

No, I do not get sore after every workout. I don't usually get sore on shoulders, but I get most sore on legs. I don't mind of I don't get sore--to me soreness does not indicate whether I had a good or bad workout. I would rather have a good workout (felt good, numbers improved) and NOT get sore than a bad workout (felt like shit, was weak) and get sore.

As for the top 6, I'm not that great at predictions (I'm usually wrong), but I'd say, in order: Kai greene, victor martinez, toney freeman, branch warren, silvio samuel, Moe El Moussawi

jrod
02-22-2009, 06:42 PM
J-Rod. Plenty of inspiration and lots of good advice. I'll be checking up on this thread quite often!

Glad you like it!

jrod
02-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Jeff, in a past article or webcast you had mentioned that a lot of your information that you base your training on is from Jeff Willet and Skip Lacour's training journals. Where would one get their hands on such a journal...bookstore, internet, website?

http://jeffwillet.com/store/index.html

http://www.skiplacour.com/printed_book_versions.htm

mcjandcoolg
02-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Jeff how do you think one should determine the length of time necessary to get shredded if they've never been shredded before? I'm about 18 weeks out from a show and estimate to be ready at 175 lbs.

red barraca
02-22-2009, 09:56 PM
great pics bro

AVBG
02-22-2009, 10:22 PM
get some more pics up Jeff.. They're inspirational!

jrod
02-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Jeff how do you think one should determine the length of time necessary to get shredded if they've never been shredded before? I'm about 18 weeks out from a show and estimate to be ready at 175 lbs.

If you've never done it before you aren't going to know 100%, you'll have to take a guess (based on others). Also, I don't think you should shoot for a given weight. In fact, I'd say throw your scale out (or just dont use it in the meantime :D). Because you might get too hung up on the number and who knows you might look best at 169 or maybe 179. So I'd suggest using the mirror as your guide (afterall, this is what the judges will see; not your weight, bf%,etc.).

As for how long, I would say you can't go wrong going slow and steady. If you are willing to invest 16 weeks, I would say that should be enough time (given you're in reasonable shape). Also, if you do it for a long time, you dont have to be as drastic AND you can try to be ready a bit early just in case. I would say give yourself 16 weeks and try to be ready at around 3 weeks out.

meatheadio
02-24-2009, 04:05 AM
Hi Jeff,
Congrats on all your success over recent years. Its great to see a natural with a physique such as yours being promoted. People can actually aspire to achieve a body like yours, and it isnt out of reach, unlike the majority of the 'unnatural' guys.
Its also fantastic to see you sponsored by Species Nutrition. Dave Palumbo is one of the greatest minds in the sport and the combination of his mind,great supplements and your amazing genetics and work ethic should be unstoppable.
All ther best for your future comps and look forward to seeing your progress.

jrod
02-24-2009, 04:48 AM
great pics bro
Thanks

get some more pics up Jeff.. They're inspirational!

Here are a few random ones, the comparisons are from 2008 TU; the individuals are from 2007 TU

jrod
02-24-2009, 04:50 AM
Hi Jeff,
Congrats on all your success over recent years. Its great to see a natural with a physique such as yours being promoted. People can actually aspire to achieve a body like yours, and it isnt out of reach, unlike the majority of the 'unnatural' guys.
Its also fantastic to see you sponsored by Species Nutrition. Dave Palumbo is one of the greatest minds in the sport and the combination of his mind,great supplements and your amazing genetics and work ethic should be unstoppable.
All ther best for your future comps and look forward to seeing your progress.

Thanks, Meatheadio, that was a nice post.

mcjandcoolg
02-25-2009, 03:35 AM
Jeff, what was your diet and training like for the 2006 Contra Costa?

jrod
02-25-2009, 01:38 PM
Jeff, what was your diet and training like for the 2006 Contra Costa?

Similar to what it was in 2007 and 2008: High protein, moderate carbs, low fat; lots of veggetables and water. Training was the same as offseason, except i did about 1 session of high intensity cardio per week.

You can see my diet for the 2008 TU on my blog ( www.jrod123.blogspot.com (http://www.jrod123.blogspot.com) )if you look through May-Sept. sections. 2006 was just a bit less food, but the basic idea was the same.

davidyes
02-25-2009, 08:10 PM
Jeff,
Do you ever feel bloated when drinking so much water? Are you still at around 5 gallons per day?

jrod
02-25-2009, 11:56 PM
Jeff,
Do you ever feel bloated when drinking so much water? Are you still at around 5 gallons per day?

I don't drink that much water year round. Right now, offseason, I drink anywhere from 1.5-2.5 gallons of water a day; and no, i do not get bloated from this. In fact, I'm most comfortable drinking about this much/day--2 gallons.

Once contest prep starts, I make sure I get about 3 gallons a day and I'm comfortable with this amount.

I only make myself drink 5 gallons of water about 3 days out of the year!

If I do 2 shows, then I'll probably drink that much water 6 days out of the year... It don't do it that often.

mk2525
02-27-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm a big fan and wish you the best of luck.
How many sets would you recommend for legs. I think i may be beating them up too much and not giving them time to recover. This is an example leg work i just did the other day

squats 4sets
hacks 4 sets
superset leg press with leg ext. 4 sets
stiff legs 4 sets
superset leg curls with walking lunge 4 sets.
thank you

jrod
02-27-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm a big fan and wish you the best of luck.
How many sets would you recommend for legs. I think i may be beating them up too much and not giving them time to recover. This is an example leg work i just did the other day

squats 4sets
hacks 4 sets
superset leg press with leg ext. 4 sets
stiff legs 4 sets
superset leg curls with walking lunge 4 sets.
thank you

Thanks!

I usually do quads then hamstrings. With that set up, I like to do about 6-7 sets for quads and 4-5 sets for hamstrings.

If I had to modify what you posted above to work for me, I would do:

squats 2-3sets
hacks 2 sets
leg press 2 sets
stiff legs 3 sets
leg curls 2 sets.

JaimeSandovalJr
02-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Hey Jeffster, I ran track in high school so I have no hamstings and I was woundering how you would go about balancing up the quads and hams (e.g. dont traing quads for a while) any advice would be great man.

meatheadio
02-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Hey Jeffster, I ran track in high school so I have no hamstings and I was woundering how you would go about balancing up the quads and hams (e.g. dont traing quads for a while) any advice would be great man.

Coming from a running background myself I would recommend training hams before quads. The effect of this is two fold; not only do you get to work the hams while your are strongest and fresh you also get to fell your hastrings better on your quad movements like squats. Things such as foot placement on leg presses can drastically alter the contribution of the hamstrings-higher=more hamstrings. Squats, in addition to being the best quad movement, also involve the hams and glutes to a large degree, and the lower you go the more your hams and glutes will get out of them. If you've even seen Jeff Rodriguez sqaut you get an idea as to why his ham/glute development matches his quads so well.
Most importantly you need to be patient. I would allow a minimum of six months to see noticable changes, especially if you're natural.
Good luck.

jrod
02-28-2009, 07:35 PM

Coming from a running background myself I would recommend training hams before quads. The effect of this is two fold; not only do you get to work the hams while your are strongest and fresh you also get to fell your hamstrings better on your quad movements like squats. Things such as foot placement on leg presses can drastically alter the contribution of the hamstrings-higher=more hamstrings. Squats, in addition to being the best quad movement, also involve the hams and glutes to a large degree, and the lower you go the more your hams and glutes will get out of them. If you've even seen Jeff Rodriguez squat you get an idea as to why his ham/glute development matches his quads so well.
Most importantly you need to be patient. I would allow a minimum of six months to see noticable changes, especially if you're natural.
Good luck.

Meatheadio, good response--thanks.

Jaime, I agree with meatheadio's response. Aside from training hamstrings first, you could simply train them separately and make sure you choose quality exercises (stiff-legged deadlifts, glute ham raises are my favorites). Getting stronger in these exercises will help.

What I would NOT recommend would be for you to stop training quads (or even to back off a bit). Maybe if you stopped training quads, you're quad to ham proportions might be more appropriate, but you'll just have smaller legs. So unless your quads are GIGANTIC, then do not make them smaller to catch up to hams; instead make your hams catch up to quads.

Like meatheadio said, this will not happen overnight; give it plenty of time. Also, one thing I've noticed in my body is that over the years things just start to flow better in terms of proportion and symmetry. I think with enough time (lots of years), you'll find your proportions and symmetry get better.

mcjandcoolg
02-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Hey Jeff, I notice that you don't do any direct rear delt work. Any reasons why?

JaimeSandovalJr
02-28-2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks guys (Jeff, Meatheadio), I am planning to compete in Sep 12 so should I still expect some results by then or should I just think about it till next year 2010?

meatheadio
03-01-2009, 02:16 AM
Thanks guys (Jeff, Meatheadio), I am planning to compete in Sep 12 so should I still expect some results by then or should I just think about it till next year 2010?

Yes, if you focus your training on bringing up this body part you should see some results by this time. This will mean scaling back to maintenance mode with the rest of your body parts in order to bring the body part up as quickly as possible. Keep in mind that you will have to be dieting (calorie deficit) for around 3 months to get in shape so this onoy leaves around four months to make improvements.
However as you get leaner you will be able to see more of your hamstring definition which cant be seen in the off season unless you stay extremely lean. This should enhance the illusion of having more size back there. Good Luck.

Mufasa
03-01-2009, 08:17 AM
Jeff:

Looking at your "off season" and "contest" diets; they both appear fairly "clean" with the major difference being calories.

Do you ever do any "real" :D cheat meals like the rest of us losers?

If so, how does your body seem to tolerate it after so much clean eating?

You list "vegetables" in both diets. What are the vegetables you usally eat? How do you cook/eat them? (e.g. raw/stir-fried etc.)

Thanks!

Mufasa

jrod
03-01-2009, 02:29 PM

If "just think about it till next year 2010" means you will not try to bring it up till that time, then you should think about it now!

I don't know how much of a difference you can make in a few months, but I'd suggest you start working on it now, through 2010.

jrod
03-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Jeff:

Looking at your "off season" and "contest" diets; they both appear fairly "clean" with the major difference being calories.

Do you ever do any "real" :D cheat meals like the rest of us losers?

If so, how does your body seem to tolerate it after so much clean eating?

You list "vegetables" in both diets. What are the vegetables you usally eat? How do you cook/eat them? (e.g. raw/stir-fried etc.)

Thanks!

Mufasa

Sometimes I have cheat meals. For example, a sushi buffet or once in a while a burrito. How do I tolerate it? Well, i tolerate it fine, the only thing is after eating such a huge meal, it makes me not want to eat the rest of my meals, so I end up suffering trying to get more meals in (especially the one RIGHT after the cheat meal).

As for vegetables, I really only eat them when pre-contest. My favorite vegetable to eat pre-contest is broccoli, which i steam and season with salt and a bit of "I can't believe its not butter" spray. I used to eat the stir fry in a bag vegetables, but I prefer broccoli.

JaimeSandovalJr
03-01-2009, 06:06 PM
If "just think about it till next year 2010" means you will not try to bring it up till that time, then you should think about it now!

I don't know how much of a difference you can make in a few months, but I'd suggest you start working on it now, through 2010.

I meant that I am going to start to bring them up but I should not expect significant results until 2010.:confused:

jrod
03-01-2009, 08:49 PM
I meant that I am going to start to bring them up but I should not expect significant results until 2010.:confused:

oh haha, ok that makes sense. :D

Yeah, I would give it a good amount of time before you should expect to see changes--unfortunately, it will likely take more than a few months. But, think about it like this, its not a matter of "if", just "when"!

jrod
03-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Hey Jeff, I notice that you don't do any direct rear delt work. Any reasons why?

I have in the past. I just feel my rear delts get worked a lot when i do rowing exercises, or even stiff-legged deadlifts. Similar to why I dont do direct front delt work.

I've gone back and forth on this issue of whether I should be doing direct rear delt work or not.

Actually, I've started doing some rear delt work the past two-three weeks; been using the pec-deck/reverse flys. I think I'll incorporate them into my next workout cycle with back day (the day I always seem to work them), instead of the usual, on shoulder day.

AVBG
03-01-2009, 09:15 PM
I don't drink that much water year round. Right now, offseason, I drink anywhere from 1.5-2.5 gallons of water a day; and no, i do not get bloated from this. In fact, I'm most comfortable drinking about this much/day--2 gallons.

Once contest prep starts, I make sure I get about 3 gallons a day and I'm comfortable with this amount.

I only make myself drink 5 gallons of water about 3 days out of the year!

If I do 2 shows, then I'll probably drink that much water 6 days out of the year... It don't do it that often.

Hey Jeff, Give us your opinion on why water is needed (more so) in pre-contest phase?

jrod
03-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Hey Jeff, Give us your opinion on why water is needed (more so) in pre-contest phase?

Here's what has worked for ME (I'm sure there are lots of different ways to do it, and lots of people have looked great doing other things; this is simply how I've done it).

Offseason, I just make sure I'm optimally hydrated (especially not dehydrated). I do not put effort into drinking a bunch of water, nor do i meausre. I know I get about 2 gallons a day, so that is plenty enough. Some people would probably do fine with a gallon+... I simply prefer (out of habit) a bit more than most.

Pre-contest, I believe in getting the body used to processing a lot of water (at least 3 gallons per day). That way, come show time I can taper off down to a reasonable amount (1 gallon) and still look dry.

In other words, instead of doing what most people do, go from normal to low amounts of water (eg drink about 1 gallon throughout prep then cut down to maybe 1/4 gallon or less for the show); I go from high to normal amounts of water (eg 3+ gallons down to 1). This way I still get a decent amount of water, but my body is used to so much that I can still look dry with a gallon.

In the end, I'm still learning how to perfect (or at least improve) the whole water, sodium, etc. last minute contest stuff.

JaimeSandovalJr
03-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Would you or do you consider your self a frealk?

Shulk
03-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Jeff, do you take creatine all the way up until the day of the show? Or do you cut it out at any point during your pre contest phase?

jrod
03-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Would you or do you consider your self a frealk?

Haha... No.

jrod
03-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Jeff, do you take creatine all the way up until the day of the show? Or do you cut it out at any point during your pre contest phase?

I take creatine all the way until the show.

JaimeSandovalJr
03-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Jeff, do yohave any tips for putting more stress on the tricep muscle, because when I do triceps if feel the tricep muscle but feel stress on my joint, any suggestions?

jrod
03-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Jeff, do yohave any tips for putting more stress on the tricep muscle, because when I do triceps if feel the tricep muscle but feel stress on my joint, any suggestions?

Which exercise/s are you talking about in particular?

In general, I would say avoid flaring your elbows out. Also, experiment with different hand positions (width), grips, and angles/motions through which you lift to see which puts the least stress on your joint.

Shulk
03-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Jeff, when you drink your water precontest and offseason do you drink spring, tap, or purified water? Does it matter to you? Just wondering.

jrod
03-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Jeff, when you drink your water precontest and offseason do you drink spring, tap, or purified water? Does it matter to you? Just wondering.

All tap water for me; even the day of the show, I just fill my gallon bottle with tap water.

matt1005
03-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Hey Jeff I have consulted Dave in getting ready for a show and I know that he drops the majority of the water friday night. Do you follow a similar approach?

Thanks
Keep up the good work.

Bacon Boy
03-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Big J-Rod what did you attribute most to your massive chest development?

jrod
03-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Hey Jeff I have consulted Dave in getting ready for a show and I know that he drops the majority of the water friday night. Do you follow a similar approach?

Thanks
Keep up the good work.

Not sure what Dave's approach is exactly, but I have mine listed on my blog under september (for the 2008 Team Universe). Here's a direct link to the exact page:

http://jrod123.blogspot.com/2008/09/1-week-through-show-days-tentative-plan.html

jrod
03-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Big J-Rod what did you attribute most to your massive chest development?

Haha...

I would say presses in general. That is, barbell and dumbbell at all three angles (incline, flat, decline). When I first started, I did A LOT of flat barbell presses, incline dumbbell, and decline barbell (usually in that order). Now a days, I still do those, but I also do dips and hammer strength machine presses (flat,incline,decline).

TheNaturalOne
03-04-2009, 11:32 PM
What do you attribute to your massive calf development?

JaimeSandovalJr
03-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Which exercise/s are you talking about in particular?

In general, I would say avoid flaring your elbows out. Also, experiment with different hand positions (width), grips, and angles/motions through which you lift to see which puts the least stress on your joint.

The exercises I do that pressure my joint are; Any dip, Any overhead extensions. Do you believe in muscle confusion? I just do 6 movements but alternate them.

jrod
03-05-2009, 04:18 PM

Calf raises and synthol.

This question was funnier than the last one.

Hey Daniel, do you have an outbreak? :D

jrod
03-05-2009, 04:21 PM
The exercises I do that pressure my joint are; Any dip, Any overhead extensions. Do you believe in muscle confusion? I just do 6 movements but alternate them.

Try lying triceps extensions (not to forehead like skull-crushers; but behind your head like a pull over). I do these with a curl bar, but you can try them with dumbbells too.

No I don't believe in "muscle confussion," but I do believe there is some value in variety.

I do about 4 sets totall for triceps (after chest), and usually consists of 2 different exercises. For example, 2 sets lying triceps extensions then 2 sets of push downs.

mcjandcoolg
03-05-2009, 07:59 PM
Jeff, what are your thoughts on Max-OT Cardio as outlined for the natural bodybuilder?

jrod
03-05-2009, 11:06 PM
Jeff, what are your thoughts on Max-OT Cardio as outlined for the natural bodybuilder?

I like it. Also, I like HIIT for cardio. I prefer high intensity cardio (like max-ot cardio or hiit) over low intensity/long duration cardio. One varition of max-ot cardio I've done is to break up the session into 2-3 "sets" with a short break in between and switching cardio methods each set (bike, treadmill, stair-stepper). For example 3 sets x5:30 minutes each with 2 min rests.

aznlifter
03-06-2009, 02:51 AM
don't be mad cuz u didn't get invited to the manparty, naturalone

JaimeSandovalJr
03-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Hey Jeff, your board has ben quiet for a while man whats going on? Dude I cam edown with the flu or something and that made me drop 13 pounds of body weight, have you encountered something of that like?

Shulk
03-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Jeff, do you train more frequently precontest or do you keep the same split as you use offseason?

kmh23
03-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Hey Jeff, I was wonderin if you planned to keep your contest prep the same this year in regards to your diet. Do you ever worry that the long term extremly low fat intake could have a negative impact of hormones? Just curious. By the way your path is paving the way for others. Big inspiration, thanks.

APOSTLE
03-15-2009, 12:17 AM
Jeff,

I want to start to do Max-OT in the very near future as soon as I get over being sick and get back into a groove of training. I am wondering, due to work I can only train Mon-Wed-Thurs-Fri due to work and other committments. Do you think it is possible to do Max-OT using this schedule?

Thanks!

jrod
03-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Hey Jeff, your board has ben quiet for a while man whats going on? Dude I cam edown with the flu or something and that made me drop 13 pounds of body weight, have you encountered something of that like?

Yeah, stuff like that has happened to me before. Don't be too concerened about it; you're weight will come back quickly once you get back into training and eating regularly.

jrod
03-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Jeff, do you train more frequently precontest or do you keep the same split as you use offseason?

I weight train exactly the same. The only slight difference is I do a bit of cardio, so that means I have to train a little bit more frequently. So instead of 4-5 days a week like it is offseason, it goes to usually 5 days a week (once in a while 6) precontest.

jrod
03-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Hey Jeff, I was wonderin if you planned to keep your contest prep the same this year in regards to your diet. Do you ever worry that the long term extremly low fat intake could have a negative impact of hormones? Just curious. By the way your path is paving the way for others. Big inspiration, thanks.

I change things a little bit every year, so it wont be exactly the same (but the basic structure will be the same). I think I'll try to keep fats just a bit higher this year and see how that goes.

Am I concerened about long term impact; no not at all. I only keep fats really low towards the end, so that means out of the whole year my fats are really low for 6-8 weeks only.

Thanks for the nice words!

jrod
03-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Jeff,

I want to start to do Max-OT in the very near future as soon as I get over being sick and get back into a groove of training. I am wondering, due to work I can only train Mon-Wed-Thurs-Fri due to work and other committments. Do you think it is possible to do Max-OT using this schedule?

Thanks!

For sure its possible. You could even get away with a three day split if you wanted. Actually, I wouldn't have a problem doing a 4 day split, so set it up properly and you'll be fine. (In fact i train 2 days on, 1 day off so that means one week i'll train 4 times, then the next week i'll train 5 times, then 4, then 5...repeating...).

APOSTLE
03-15-2009, 04:21 PM
For sure its possible. You could even get away with a three day split if you wanted. Actually, I wouldn't have a problem doing a 4 day split, so set it up properly and you'll be fine. (In fact i train 2 days on, 1 day off so that means one week i'll train 4 times, then the next week i'll train 5 times, then 4, then 5...repeating...).

Thanks Jeff, appreciate it.

One more question. I know Skip LaCour advocates separating weights and cardio by at least 8 hours optimally. If you can't do that due to time constraints, work etc, do you still think MAX-OT cardio is best post workout?

jrod
03-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks Jeff, appreciate it.

One more question. I know Skip LaCour advocates separating weights and cardio by at least 8 hours optimally. If you can't do that due to time constraints, work etc, do you still think MAX-OT cardio is best post workout?

No Problem!

I'd agree that its ideal to give space between training and cardio to get the most out of each, but since you have to work training in with other aspects of your life, you have to fit it in where/when you can. If that means only right after lifting, I'd say do it. If you can, however, do cardio on your easier lifting days (EG leg day is probably the hardest).

I would personally rather do high intensity cardio than low intensity cardio regardless of timing (right after or 6 hours after lifting).

APOSTLE
03-15-2009, 08:38 PM
No Problem!

I'd agree that its ideal to give space between training and cardio to get the most out of each, but since you have to work training in with other aspects of your life, you have to fit it in where/when you can. If that means only right after lifting, I'd say do it. If you can, however, do cardio on your easier lifting days (EG leg day is probably the hardest).

I would personally rather do high intensity cardio than low intensity cardio regardless of timing (right after or 6 hours after lifting).

Thanks Jeff, as always much appreciated. Good luck in 2009!!

JaimeSandovalJr
03-15-2009, 11:12 PM
And he is back! I did Hamstrings before Quads and holly sh&% dude I could only squat 185 for 5 deep reps (which means I was dead) and have not been able to sit to go to the restroom. That shit works and the pain afterwards is immense in a good way. What movements do you use for Hams? I seem to be limited to about 4 basic ones.

jrod
03-16-2009, 04:22 AM
And he is back! I did Hamstrings before Quads and holly sh&% dude I could only squat 185 for 5 deep reps (which means I was dead) and have not been able to sit to go to the restroom. That shit works and the pain afterwards is immense in a good way. What movements do you use for Hams? I seem to be limited to about 4 basic ones.

Hahaha.....

Yeah I just do the basic ones as well: Stiff-legged deadlifts, glute-ham raises, and Leg curls (standing, seated, lying).

Spy vs Spy
03-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Jeff... I am a physical therapist aid so at the office everytime i walk by the 5 gallon Poland Spring water cooler I think how did you get that down pre contest... lol I am about 166lbs right now competing in lightweight devision, 1st show on competing on May 9th Mid Atlantic Natural Classic in nj, and another May 30th. Do you recomend your water mulipulation for someone my weight, or a little less H20? And one more thing, Weigh in is on FRIDAY NIGHT, how would I start to drop my water to peak for prejudging Sat 11am? Thank You

meatheadio
03-18-2009, 02:44 AM
Hi Jeff,
How's your off-season coming along. Judgin by those last set of photos you were still leaking freaky lean for that weight you were at.
I was wondering your opinion on the dextrose VS waxi maize debate.
I know you previously used dextrose and now that you are sponsored by Species you have obviously switched to their Carbolyze (Waxi Maize).
You used both for at least a year so I figure you would know by now.
Thanx.

jrod
03-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Jeff... I am a physical therapist aid so at the office everytime i walk by the 5 gallon Poland Spring water cooler I think how did you get that down pre contest... lol I am about 166lbs right now competing in lightweight devision, 1st show on competing on May 9th Mid Atlantic Natural Classic in nj, and another May 30th. Do you recomend your water mulipulation for someone my weight, or a little less H20? And one more thing, Weigh in is on FRIDAY NIGHT, how would I start to drop my water to peak for prejudging Sat 11am? Thank You

This is a tough question. If I were in your shoes, I would be conservative with the whole water manipulation thing. I'd put very little stock in that whole process and just focus on dieting down to as lean as I could get (because once you're really really lean, you aren't going to look like you'r holding much water anyway).

With that said, I would gauge how much water I drink if I were you and base it off that. For me, drinking 3 gallons/day is pretty easy. After a week or two of being conscious about getting in 3 gallons/day, it starts to come naturally without even trying. So getting up to 5 is tough, but not extremely difficult. Furthermore, I don't think 5 is a magic number, I'd probably do fine with 4 gallons the last few days.

If I were you, maybe I'd try to make sure I drink at least 2 gallons per day for several weeks before the show. Then for about 3 days before the show I'd probably go up a bit (3-4 gallons). Since I'd be stepping on stage in the early afternoon I might start to watch water intake towards the end of the day before (Friday night). The day of the show, I'd probably have 1/2-3/4 gallon.

You'll have to find out (from trial and error) what works best and how your body responds to things like this. I just gave you a general ballpark idea of what I'd do if I were in your shoes. If you look through the September/2008 pages of my blog, you'll see exactly what i did with my water intake. I weigh a little bit more than you, so I would probably just do what I did, but scale it down a bit.

In the end, I'd say be conservative with what you do and make sure you get enough electrolytes when you drink lots of water (I add some extra sodium to my food by seasoning it).

Hope this helps.

jrod
03-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Hi Jeff,
How's your off-season coming along. Judgin by those last set of photos you were still leaking freaky lean for that weight you were at.
I was wondering your opinion on the dextrose VS waxi maize debate.
I know you previously used dextrose and now that you are sponsored by Species you have obviously switched to their Carbolyze (Waxi Maize).
You used both for at least a year so I figure you would know by now.
Thanx.

Offseason is going well; Im on a much needed break from training right now (I'll probably take about 5 days off).

With supplements like carbolyze and dextrose, its hard to "FEEL" them work. Its not like a caffeine based supplement where you can instantly feel the effect. So in all honesty, I can't really say I can feel a difference. Instead, when choosing between supplements like this, i would look at the scientific explanation of how/why they work and choose accordingly.

Shulk
03-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Jeff, what are some tips you can give for pumping up backstage...and also can you give a sample of what you do to pump up before a show?

Spy vs Spy
03-20-2009, 02:03 AM
Thank You Very Much Jeff, all the information you gave is helpful indeed. I've looked at your blog plenty of times and I will stick to that approach and figure out what works best, only one way to find out. Right now I down about 2 gallons of water a day. Sodium is high I would say have to start regulating it soon. Thank You again.

thepump
03-20-2009, 06:41 AM
just wondering if jeff will be posting here? His thread is one of the few reasons i still visit md.
i say the same bro

Dr.Natural1988
03-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Hey Jeff,

I'm just wondering if you have ever tried any testosterone boosting products like 6-oxo...or maybe testolyze since you are sponsored by species, and if so what your results were with it? Also, do you think you'll compete in the light heavyweight class at TU this year? You are a force to be reckoned with man, keep up the great progress.

jrod
03-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Jeff, what are some tips you can give for pumping up backstage...and also can you give a sample of what you do to pump up before a show?

Tips: Don't pump up abs or quads/hams. I think they tend to "show" better when not pumped.

I really don't spend much time pumping up and only do a few bodyparts. I tend to focus on chest and back; then arms a bit (biceps more than triceps).

I don't follow a specific pump up routine, I just do some dumbbell presses (incline and flat), then do some rows (dumbbell or barbell), then do a few curls and maybe a few extensions/kick backs. I there was a pull up bar, I'd do a few pull ups and maybe I might throw in a few random push ups.

In all honesty, I don't think there is really much to pumping up. In short, focus on chest and back (you'll get arms doing this) and dont pump up legs or abs.

jrod
03-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Thank You Very Much Jeff, all the information you gave is helpful indeed. I've looked at your blog plenty of times and I will stick to that approach and figure out what works best, only one way to find out. Right now I down about 2 gallons of water a day. Sodium is high I would say have to start regulating it soon. Thank You again.

No probelm!

Let me know how it works out and what you learned.

Best of luck!

jrod
03-21-2009, 09:40 PM
i say the same bro

Thanks ;)

jrod
03-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Hey Jeff,

I'm just wondering if you have ever tried any testosterone boosting products like 6-oxo...or maybe testolyze since you are sponsored by species, and if so what your results were with it? Also, do you think you'll compete in the light heavyweight class at TU this year? You are a force to be reckoned with man, keep up the great progress.

I wish I could be more helpful, but I've never tried any supplements like that.

As for being a light-heavy, I really expected to be a light-heavy last year, but weighed in, suprisingly, as a middle weight (1 pound less than the previous year). So, I guess I'll never really know till it happens. I probably weight just a little bit more this offseason than last year, but not much--maybe just a few pounds (5 or less, probably), so either way, middle or light-heavy, it will be close to the cut off.

mcjandcoolg
03-21-2009, 11:55 PM
Hey Jeff, I am currently getting ready for a contest but just don't know when to begin my cardio. I've stayed lean all off-season, veins and all, but still can't figure out when to implement this strategy. I'm at 14 weeks out. When do you know it's time?

redline777
03-22-2009, 03:16 AM
Jeff, how did you get that rounded "bow" look on your hamstrings??
your glute ,ham tie in is mad!!

apex23
03-22-2009, 12:26 PM
JROD,

I see you use zinc. How much do you try to consume in Supplemental form? My multi only has 15 mg and I am thinking of adding another 50 mg with last meal at night.

jrod
03-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Hey Jeff, I am currently getting ready for a contest but just don't know when to begin my cardio. I've stayed lean all off-season, veins and all, but still can't figure out when to implement this strategy. I'm at 14 weeks out. When do you know it's time?

If you don't know, then you're going to have to guess. And if you're going to guess, then I'd suggest erring on the side of guessing too early than late. This way, you can ease into doing cardio and you could always just cut back on cardio if you realize you're coming along too early. Probably a better strategy than playing catch up.

After this intial guess, you'll have a frame of reference for next time you start your prep and can adjust accordingly.

jrod
03-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Jeff, how did you get that rounded "bow" look on your hamstrings??
your glute ,ham tie in is mad!!

I think its a combination of development and genetic shape. You can't do much about shape, but you can train and develop your hamstrings (and glutes).

For what its worth, my favorite hamstring exercises are, in order:
1) stiff legged deadlifts
2) glute/ham raises
3) leg curls (standing, seated, lying)

jrod
03-24-2009, 10:19 AM
JROD,

I see you use zinc. How much do you try to consume in Supplemental form? My multi only has 15 mg and I am thinking of adding another 50 mg with last meal at night.

I don't really put much into this. I think once you get a decent amount (not deficient), not much is going to happen if you take a lot more. I take about 30mg at night along with however much is in my multi-vitamin.

For what its worth, I get all my vitamins from longs, walgreens, rite aid, or safeway; they're all just generic ones, nothing fancy.

Ironman19871
03-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Hey Jeff, have you ever tried training quads and hams on different days. I know you will get some hamstring work on quad day, but I've never witnessed anyone on stage with too much hamstring.
I always trained quads and hams together. I switched and legs are responding really well.

What do you say, JRod?

jrod
03-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Hey Jeff, have you ever tried training quads and hams on different days. I know you will get some hamstring work on quad day, but I've never witnessed anyone on stage with too much hamstring.
I always trained quads and hams together. I switched and legs are responding really well.

What do you say, JRod?

Hahaha, funny you should mention this--good timing. Next post is my new training split i just started (I trained hamstrings yesterday) I have Quads and Hamstrings split up.

I like having them split up once in a while. I say about 1 out of every 3 training splits I do it like this.

jrod
03-25-2009, 09:02 PM
My new training split: www.jrod123.blogspot.com (http://www.jrod123.blogspot.com)

1) Hamstrings/Calves

3 x Glute-Ham raises
3 x Seated Leg Curls
/
2 x Seated Calf Raises
3 x Donkey Calf Raises (or standing)

2) Back/Biceps/Rear Delts

2 x Straight-bar pulldowns
3 x Hammer Strength Close Grip Pulldowns
2 x Cable rows
/
2 x seated hammer curls
2 x cable or preacher curls
/
2 x Reverse Pec-Deck

3) Shoulders/Abs

3 x 1-arm dumbbell side laterals
2 x 1-arm cable side laterals
/
3 x Dumbbell crunches
2 x Machine crunches

4) Quads/Traps

2 x Squats
3 x Freemotion squats
2 x Leg Presses
/
3 x Smith machine shrugs

5) Chest/Triceps

2 x Incline Barbell/Dummbell (or Hammer Strength) Presses
2 x Hammer Strength Decline/Flat Press
2 x Dips
/
2 x Triceps extensions
2 x Push downs

Biggie973
03-26-2009, 08:10 AM
How did you get into bodybuilding? What's your diet like now?

jrod
03-26-2009, 07:09 PM
How did you get into bodybuilding? What's your diet like now?

When I was 17, I broke my wrist rollerblading. I used to do some rehab at they gym and started messing around with the equipment when I was done with rehab. After my wrist healed, I just kept going. I didnt really know anything about bodybuilding (or anyone into it); I just enjoyed going to the gym and training. I met a guy named Joe Rogers in college and he convinced me to do my first show....

Right now its offseason. I try to keep my protein intake high, at least 400g/day. I eat 6-7 meals per day and probably about 3700 calories (or somewhere in that range). Here are some of the common, everday foods I eat.

Protein: Isolyze (whey), chicken, beef, once in a while fish.
Carbs: oatmeal, basmati rice, pasta, ezekiel bread (;) L)
Fat: macadamia nut oil, almonds/nuts, peanut butter, omega 3 eggs

tornquad2
03-27-2009, 02:03 PM
why no presses on delt day

jrod
03-27-2009, 08:07 PM
why no presses on delt day

I've actually never done this before. But, my shoulder was bothering me my last training split, so I want to avoid that movement for a bit till it heals. I'd rather just let it heal while its not a big deal, than end up not doing presses anyways, but for longer cause I ignored the issue.

Actually, I trained shoulders today, and it was a really good workout. No pain!

Shulk
03-27-2009, 11:57 PM
Jeff, what are the primary movements you use for back thickness?

jrod
03-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Jeff, what are the primary movements you use for back thickness?

Rows: barbell, dumbbell, cable, and some of the hammer strength machines.

pn
03-29-2009, 07:05 AM
Jeff, where do align your hands when performing hammer strength inclines?

juggernaut1987
03-29-2009, 03:37 PM
hey jeff, just like to say your pics look great man congrats!
I have a similar background story to yours from what I read above, I'm about 5'9" and I've been training since around 17, I'm 21 years old now. I started out at 140 pounds and now weigh around 180 lbs but I stay pretty lean at all times. I've had a few set backs here and there...hospitalized for awhile 2 years ago for head trauma from an accident and a year ago I dislocated 2 joints in my wrist, but other than those I havent had any injuries that prevent me from working out luckily. I have the most trouble putting mass on my arms and was wondering if you have any advice from one natural to another? my arm workout usually consists of doing 3 high volume tricep isolation sets after chest and the same for bicep concentration after back, then after a couple days rest I do biceps and triceps together with a couple days rest afterwards before hitting chest and back on their own days again.
My main arm work out usually is:
behind the head skull crushers: 4 sets of 6-12 reps
weighted dips: 3 sets of 8-15 reps
barbell curls: 4 sets of 6-12 reps
alternating dumbbell curls: 3 sets of 8-15 reps
(not including warm-ups)

jrod
03-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Jeff, where do align your hands when performing hammer strength inclines?

I actually did these today.

I put my hands about 1/2 in between each bar. This comes out to about where my hand is when I stretched out my thumb starting from the non-connected end. At this spacing, my forearm makes about a 90 degree angle with my upper arm at the starting position of the movement.

I would find where is most comfortable for YOU, though. This is just where it works for me cause of my shoulder/bone structure.

jrod
03-30-2009, 10:52 PM
hey jeff, just like to say your pics look great man congrats!
I have a similar background story to yours from what I read above, I'm about 5'9" and I've been training since around 17, I'm 21 years old now. I started out at 140 pounds and now weigh around 180 lbs but I stay pretty lean at all times. I've had a few set backs here and there...hospitalized for awhile 2 years ago for head trauma from an accident and a year ago I dislocated 2 joints in my wrist, but other than those I havent had any injuries that prevent me from working out luckily. I have the most trouble putting mass on my arms and was wondering if you have any advice from one natural to another? my arm workout usually consists of doing 3 high volume tricep isolation sets after chest and the same for bicep concentration after back, then after a couple days rest I do biceps and triceps together with a couple days rest afterwards before hitting chest and back on their own days again.
My main arm work out usually is:
behind the head skull crushers: 4 sets of 6-12 reps
weighted dips: 3 sets of 8-15 reps
barbell curls: 4 sets of 6-12 reps
alternating dumbbell curls: 3 sets of 8-15 reps
(not including warm-ups)

Thanks!

I really don't like saying things along the lines of "do this and it will make you grow better than what you're doing." So, I'll tell you what I think of your workout and I'll tell you what I do, but I can't tell you its going to be better--you can try it though and find out. So here goes...

That would be too much for me--training arms twice a week like that. Also, thats a lot of sets for arms and higher reps than i like to do.

What I do is train arms ONCE per week. I always train triceps after chest, biceps after back. I choose usually two exercises for biceps/triceps and usually do 4-5 sets TOTAL for biceps/triceps. These are done in a 4-6 (sometimes up to 8) rep range.

Here was what I did for triceps today: 2 sets of lying extensions, 2 sets of cable pushdowns.

A biceps routine I like is 2 sets of barbell curls, 2 sets of hammer or dumbbell curls.

juggernaut1987
03-31-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks!

I really don't like saying things along the lines of "do this and it will make you grow better than what you're doing." So, I'll tell you what I think of your workout and I'll tell you what I do, but I can't tell you its going to be better--you can try it though and find out. So here goes...

That would be too much for me--training arms twice a week like that. Also, thats a lot of sets for arms and higher reps than i like to do.

What I do is train arms ONCE per week. I always train triceps after chest, biceps after back. I choose usually two exercises for biceps/triceps and usually do 4-5 sets TOTAL for biceps/triceps. These are done in a 4-6 (sometimes up to 8) rep range.

Here was what I did for triceps today: 2 sets of lying extensions, 2 sets of cable pushdowns.

A biceps routine I like is 2 sets of barbell curls, 2 sets of hammer or dumbbell curls.

Thanks bro! I'm gonna try lowering my total number of sets and reps and see how it works out for me. Good luck on your next competition!

mk2525
04-01-2009, 05:42 PM
jrod,
on contest day(and in shape) while backstage and eating rice cakes and peanut butter how often should i eat them and how many at one time? what did you do?
thanks

jrod
04-02-2009, 12:20 AM
jrod,
on contest day(and in shape) while backstage and eating rice cakes and peanut butter how often should i eat them and how many at one time? what did you do?
thanks

I can't say what you should do regarding PB and rice cakes since I've never done that.

I don't really do anything special on that day/time. I think at that point (backstage) there isn't anything you can eat that will make much of a difference.

Here's what I ate on the day of the show/finals from this past TU (copied straight from my blog):

------------------------------------------------
SATURDAY:

Meal 1) Rice cakes + Isolyze (about 40g carbs, 54g protein)

Meal 2) Salmon + Rice (about 40g carbs, 40-50g protein)

Followed by the above meals, every 1.5 hours I had
Oats + Raisins + Banana + Isolyze + raw almonds (about 45-50g carbs, 40g protein, fat?)

Water: I drank about 1/2-3/4 gallon before getting on stage (on stage at about 10pm!).
Sodium: Only from what was naturally occurring in the foods I ate.
---------------------------------------------------

Here's me enjoying one of those meals from that day, on the streets of NYC:

Maximus7132005
04-06-2009, 12:01 PM
hey jeff, Ive been bodybuilding for about 6 years naturally, im currently 24 about to be 25 in july, I have never competed in any shows, and I would like to give a shot sometime next year but I have no idea how to go about it, how did you get into your first show??? any tips you can give me to go into my first show.

Thanks

mk2525
04-06-2009, 10:35 PM
jrod,
just watched your in the trenches video on MD the other day. It is one of the best in the trenches videos out there. My question is, is that a typical leg training routine (i know you just got done with Team U) but routine, is that typical?
thanks

SwolenONE
04-06-2009, 10:57 PM
J Rod, didnt you used to run MAN and before that formulated products with SAN?

Interesting to see your now with Species, who's running things over at MAN now?

By the way, amazing physique, especially for a natty (it would be amazing regardless, just saying its even more impressive since your not on gear)!

meatheadio
04-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Hi Jeff,
Any plans for some more videos, either with MD or here on RX muscle?
Both your videos on MD were very informative and it was good to see a BB who can articulate a decent response when asked a question.

jrod
04-10-2009, 02:39 PM
hey jeff, Ive been bodybuilding for about 6 years naturally, im currently 24 about to be 25 in july, I have never competed in any shows, and I would like to give a shot sometime next year but I have no idea how to go about it, how did you get into your first show??? any tips you can give me to go into my first show.

Thanks

Someone recently asked me this question and here was my response:

***Picking a show: I would say start off with a regional/local show. I don't know much about other organizations than the NPC. However, here is a listing of all the NPC shows:
http://npcnewsonline.com/new/PDFfiles/122308NPC_ContestListing.pdf
You might want to ask other people about the other shows in your area.

***Posing: This is something that you are going to develop over time. The mandatories (for pre-juding) are something you need to get good at. I would suggest looking at pictures and watching youtube videos to get an idea of what style of posing you like and how to do different poses. You can also you the prejudging/mandatories videos on youtube to practice (have it playing in the background while you go through the poses). Start practicing in front of a mirror, but don't forget to practice without a mirror (there are no mirrors on stage). The goal is to display your physique at its best (by hiding weaknesses and showing strengths).

***General Prep: You'll learn a lot of valuable information from doing your first show. You can read and ask people for advice all you want, but you will not be able to replace experience. Make sure you keep track of what you do. Keeping track will allow you to make changes in the future and improve upon what you've done.

As for how I got into my first show, I met a bodybuilder at the gym when I was going in college. He convinced me to compete in a show which he was doing. I dieted for about 2-3 weeks and did the show.

No matter what, Im sure you'll have fun and learn a lot from your first show. Give yourself enough time to diet, and enjoy the process.

jrod
04-10-2009, 02:41 PM
jrod,
just watched your in the trenches video on MD the other day. It is one of the best in the trenches videos out there. My question is, is that a typical leg training routine (i know you just got done with Team U) but routine, is that typical?
thanks

Thanks!

Yeah, that was a typical routine. If you look through my blog (tabs/dates on right side) my different training splits are listed.

jrod
04-10-2009, 02:43 PM
J Rod, didnt you used to run MAN and before that formulated products with SAN?

Interesting to see your now with Species, who's running things over at MAN now?

By the way, amazing physique, especially for a natty (it would be amazing regardless, just saying its even more impressive since your not on gear)!

No, i've never been with those companies.

Thanks for the compliment.

jrod
04-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Hi Jeff,
Any plans for some more videos, either with MD or here on RX muscle?
Both your videos on MD were very informative and it was good to see a BB who can articulate a decent response when asked a question.

Glad you liked the videos!

Yeah, I've spoken to Dave about this recently. Im thinking in a few months, around the time when I'd be dieting for the TU (maybe in June or July).

JaimeSandovalJr
04-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Hey whats up Jeff. Dude I have been training at 10,000% each session, rep, lift and after say... 4 sets of a given exercise I feel like falling asleep on the spot thats how tired I get at every session, would you say fights thrue it, more nutrition, pace my energy? So now that you finished school, was it what you thought it would be in the sense of the job/field you thought you could get and the job you wanted? I am a sophmore and I feel that a piece of paper really doesnt make too much of a difference.

jrod
04-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Hey whats up Jeff. Dude I have been training at 10,000% each session, rep, lift and after say... 4 sets of a given exercise I feel like falling asleep on the spot thats how tired I get at every session, would you say fights thrue it, more nutrition, pace my energy? So now that you finished school, was it what you thought it would be in the sense of the job/field you thought you could get and the job you wanted? I am a sophmore and I feel that a piece of paper really doesnt make too much of a difference.

Hey whats up Jeff. Dude I have been training at 10,000% each session, rep, lift and after say... 4 sets of a given exercise I feel like falling asleep on the spot thats how tired I get at every session, would you say fights thrue it, more nutrition, pace my energy?
Well, it could be a few things. First of all, maybe you're doing it fine/right and this is just how you feel. Maybe you'll get used to this level of effort/intensity and after a while 10,000% will become standard for you and you wont feel like passing out anymore. OR, maybe you are over training a bit and should take more rest between sessions. You'll have to guess a bit here and make adjustments based on how you feel. Feeling sleep means, you should probably sleep more; feeling tired is normal; but if you feel like complete shit, mentally and physically, are burned out, stop making progress...then you are probably training too much, too hard.

One more thing is, when you train with really high intensity, there is no way you're going to be able to train with as much volume as if you trained with less intensity.

So now that you finished school, was it what you thought it would be in the sense of the job/field you thought you could get and the job you wanted?
Not really. When I was in school, I was more concerened with just getting my degree done and over with. I never thought about it in terms of getting my degree to get a job and use that degree. I got myself a BS in math because math was something I could do--not cause I liked it or because I could see myself doing something with it. Looking back, I wish I had thought more about what I wanted to do (job) and gotten a degree for something I could see myself doing--not just gotten a degree that was the least painful to get and for the sake of just having one. Though at the time, without knowing what I know now, and having the experiences I have had, I don't really know if I could have conceieved like I do now.

I am a sophmore and I feel that a piece of paper really doesnt make too much of a difference.

Yes and no, I think. But thinking of it in a more practical sense, this is just how the world you live in works. You can justify all you want that having a degree/piece of paper makes no difference (you still are who you are), but come time to find a job, you might wish you had played the game. And from the little bit I know now, it CAN make a difference. Dont get me wrong, you might be fine without a degree, but you'll be closing a lot of doors by not having one (and you never know what you'll want to do, you might wish you had a degree later in life--my guess is you probably will).

In all honesty, I probably dont know much, I'm 25 years old...blah blah blah.. what do i know. With that, my advice (from what I'm experiencing now), is to invest some time into figuring out (or guessing) what you would like to do (job) in the future. It doesnt always have to be something you love, it might be something you are ok with that affords you (time/schedule, money, location, job security) to do other things you love.

JaimeSandovalJr
04-16-2009, 06:47 PM
True it could be that I just have to get used to the intensity, I only do 12 set for large parts and 6 for small ones, does that sound like overtraining?

As for school I take a nutrition class and I want to be a nutritionist, I take a Psychology class and I want to be a psychologist. I guess the only way we learn is by exploring what we love. Whats your dream job (aside from anything fitness related)?

Deltasaurus
04-16-2009, 07:10 PM
im currently leaning out for a Jiu-jitsu comp. and i had 2 questions i thought you would have an answer to.

1.being all the activity thats invovled in jiu-jitsu would it be good for one to have a pro/fat only meal for meal 1 which is also Pre-WO, then a Monster Pro/Carb meal after as PWO??? Reason being i want to lean out good and quickly being the comp is in June.

Question 2. On my 2 Rest days could i do very low carb or no carbs? i would just eat more protein to account for the lost calories.

apex23
04-17-2009, 08:17 AM
Hello JRod,

In what way do you take your beta-alainine? I usually use it before and after a workout. However, I have heard some say you have to space it out up to 2 hours apart.

Thanks

jrod
04-17-2009, 06:22 PM
True it could be that I just have to get used to the intensity, I only do 12 set for large parts and 6 for small ones, does that sound like overtraining?

As for school I take a nutrition class and I want to be a nutritionist, I take a Psychology class and I want to be a psychologist. I guess the only way we learn is by exploring what we love. Whats your dream job (aside from anything fitness related)?

That seems like a lot if you're going heavy/intense.

For large parts, I do 6-8 sets

For smaller parts I do 3-5 sets.

For example: back--7sets, biceps/triceps--4 sets.

You can look at my blog to see how many sets I do for each bodypart.

jrod
04-17-2009, 06:30 PM
im currently leaning out for a Jiu-jitsu comp. and i had 2 questions i thought you would have an answer to.

1.being all the activity thats invovled in jiu-jitsu would it be good for one to have a pro/fat only meal for meal 1 which is also Pre-WO, then a Monster Pro/Carb meal after as PWO??? Reason being i want to lean out good and quickly being the comp is in June.

Question 2. On my 2 Rest days could i do very low carb or no carbs? i would just eat more protein to account for the lost calories.

Keep in mind that when I think of "leaning out" it is ONLY in terms of how I look; not how I will perform (performance, in bodybuilding is how you look). With that...

1) Why not just have carbs with both meals? You can try both ways, but if i were in your shoes, i would rather have 2 moderate carb meals than one 0 carb, one "monster" carbs. I think it would be helpful to your workout (ESPECIALLY since this is your first meal) to have carbs with meal 1. I agree with the second meal though, I would keep it high in protein/carbs, and low in fat post workout.

2) You could do that, but you probably wont recover from your workouts as well. Since in your case you dont have to get contest shape lean, I would be more moderate in dieting. You don't need to get THAT lean, so just cut down on unnecessary calories and maybe cut calories a bit and gradually. Instead of eating no carbs but eating the same number of calories, I would eat some carbs and a bit less total calories.

jrod
04-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Hello JRod,

In what way do you take your beta-alainine? I usually use it before and after a workout. However, I have heard some say you have to space it out up to 2 hours apart.

Thanks

I have only recently started taking beta-alanine, but after an initial loading phase of taking 1/2 teaspoon about 4 times per day (with breakfast, pre/post workout, and sometime in the evening) I now take about 1/2 teaspoon before and 1/2 teaspoon after training.

RUHL
04-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Hi jeff

some Q for you

why in your precontest diet you have very low fat? about 5-7%
the studies say for maximum testo you must be around 20-30%

I dont see any fruits and dairy foods in your journal-blog what's your opinion about them in precontest?

What training type do you do around the year and your opinion about DC training,hit, brosers power rep range shock.

2 min warm up on treadmill
short rest
4 min high intensity on elliptical
2 min rest
4 min high intensity on stair master
2 min rest
3 min high intensity on treadmill
2 min rest
3 min high intensity on stationary bike

What's the difference from doing only example at stationary bike all this high intensity cardio from your approach?

Deltasaurus
04-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Keep in mind that when I think of "leaning out" it is ONLY in terms of how I look; not how I will perform (performance, in bodybuilding is how you look). With that...

1) Why not just have carbs with both meals? You can try both ways, but if i were in your shoes, i would rather have 2 moderate carb meals than one 0 carb, one "monster" carbs. I think it would be helpful to your workout (ESPECIALLY since this is your first meal) to have carbs with meal 1. I agree with the second meal though, I would keep it high in protein/carbs, and low in fat post workout.

2) You could do that, but you probably wont recover from your workouts as well. Since in your case you dont have to get contest shape lean, I would be more moderate in dieting. You don't need to get THAT lean, so just cut down on unnecessary calories and maybe cut calories a bit and gradually. Instead of eating no carbs but eating the same number of calories, I would eat some carbs and a bit less total calories.

Well my goal is to get down to 8%, would this change anything you have said?

jrod
04-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Hi jeff

some Q for you

I dont see any fruits and dairy foods in your journal-blog what's your opinion about them in precontest?

What training type do you do around the year and your opinion about DC training,hit, brosers power rep range shock.

What's the difference from doing only example at stationary bike all this high intensity cardio from your approach?

Because I had to lower calories in order to get leaner. When getting ready for a show, my goal is to get as lean as possible. Achieving this goal might get in the way of certain other aspects like keeping testosterone optimal, building muscle, etc. This year I am going to try to keep fats a little bit higher (percentage wise) than I have in the past and see how that works. Regardless, it will still be my goal to get as lean as possible, even if that means I am not optimizing testosterone production.

They're fine, I just choose oatmeal and vegetables instead cause they're easier to measure (and vegetables are not calorie dense so you get to eat more volume). If you want to use fruits, just measure/weigh them properly and account for the calories that are in them.

I've never tried the above mentioned ones and only have a very general idea of them, so I'm not sure. As for the type of training I do, I like to use a low volume(4-7 sets/bodypart), high intensity (4-8 reps/set) approach.

What's the difference from doing only example at stationary bike all this high intensity cardio from your approach
If you wanted to do it like that, I think that would be fine. I say just choose the way that you think would allow you to work harder. I tried it the way I did because I thought I could end up outputting (wasting) more energy that way AND for fun/variety. I'm not a big fan of cardio, so I thought this way might be more interesting. It was, but this next contest prep I think I'll keep it a bit more simple and only use 1 or 2 machines (eg 15 minutes straight; or 8mins, rest, 7 min).

jrod
04-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Well my goal is to get down to 8%, would this change anything you have said?

No, doesnt change what I said. You'll have to watch what you eat more than usual, but I think 8% is a reasonable level of bodyfat to maintain year round.

Deltasaurus
04-21-2009, 03:27 PM
another Question for ya Jrod, Im currently eating 80-grams of fat a day i was considering dropping it 60 and bumping carbs up by 50grams do you think this would affect my leaning out ?

jrod
04-21-2009, 09:15 PM
another Question for ya Jrod, Im currently eating 80-grams of fat a day i was considering dropping it 60 and bumping carbs up by 50grams do you think this would affect my leaning out ?

Thats 180 calories LESS from fat and 200 calories MORE from carbs; which is a net GAIN of 20 calories. Thats really getting down to the nitty gritty so I don't know if it will even make much of a difference.

I could give you a better answer if you said something more drastic, like a difference of 700 calories, but this is REALLY specific, so I'd say only trial and error will tell.

Without knowing why you came up with those exact numbers, I can just give you another idea, which is why not try something more in between both carbs and fat. Or you could just gradually cut both until you start seeing progress and maintain/adjust accordingly when you get there. I'd go the gradual cutting/adjusting accordingly route if it were me.

Deltasaurus
04-22-2009, 01:45 AM
i just meant solely for energy purposes of having the carbs for my higher intensity stuff without adding more cals.
not to drop one or the other. just for better energy during the jiu-jitsu

jrod
04-24-2009, 01:21 AM
i just meant solely for energy purposes of having the carbs for my higher intensity stuff without adding more cals.
not to drop one or the other. just for better energy during the jiu-jitsu

I see. That makes sense.

dajossel
04-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Jrod,

When dieting for a show do you have any cheat meals. If so how often and what do you eat? I am about 4.5 weeks out from a show and having severe cravings.

Thanks

jrod
04-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Jrod,

When dieting for a show do you have any cheat meals. If so how often and what do you eat? I am about 4.5 weeks out from a show and having severe cravings.

Thanks

No. Once I start, thats it, no cheat meals at all--not even at 16 weeks out. I only eat what I am supposed to eat. I don't give into emotional feelings towards food (cravings, etc.). I think of it strictly in terms of what will make me look best on show day--THATS IT! Being mentally tough is just part of the game.

Right around where you are in your prep is where i notice is gets REALLY hard for me, so I can relate. I'm not going to tell you not to have that cheat meal; but just think of why you'd be doing it, what you'll get out of it, what you're trying to accomplish, and what the consequences are.

Good luck.

dajossel
04-25-2009, 11:06 AM
Jrod,

Thanks for the quick answer, I also had another question. When prepping what type of cardio do you do. Right now i do low intensity first thing in the morning for around 45-50 mins. I have been reading alot about HIIT but it just seems like a formula for muscle loss. If your boosting your heart rate up that high can your body still use fat as its fuel source? Also regarding cardio I have seen Dave state that if you use BCAA's before you will slow down the fat burning process, whats your take? Right now I use my fatburner, Carnitine, and CLA before cardio.

Thanks again

jrod
04-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Jrod,

Thanks for the quick answer, I also had another question. When prepping what type of cardio do you do. Right now i do low intensity first thing in the morning for around 45-50 mins. I have been reading alot about HIIT but it just seems like a formula for muscle loss. If your boosting your heart rate up that high can your body still use fat as its fuel source? Also regarding cardio I have seen Dave state that if you use BCAA's before you will slow down the fat burning process, whats your take? Right now I use my fatburner, Carnitine, and CLA before cardio.

Thanks again

I do high intensity cardio--about 15 minutes at a high intensity pace. When doing high intensity cardio, you aren't going to use fat as a fuel source; you'll use up glycogen, as far as I understand. But the benefit comes from what it does AFTER you're done--it speeds up your metabolism for hours after.

I've never heard anything about BCAA's slowing down the fat burning process (I've taken them before cardio). My take is that if you diet hard enough and do enough cardio you'll be fine. I think its important to look at things from a big picture perspective sometimes and just focus on bigger, more important things (actually dieting hard and doing lots of hard cardio) than getting caught up on little things.

However you do it; low intensity/high intensity, BCAA or no BCAA; if you work hard (and long) enough on your contest prep, you will get lean.

joedemarco
04-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Hey JRod...glad to see you on this board. I just joined myself!

How many weeks of contest dieting do you plan on doing for this years Team U?

JaimeSandovalJr
04-30-2009, 12:58 PM
[quote=jrod;187898]
Hey whats up Jeff. Dude I have been training at 10,000% each session, rep, lift and after say... 4 sets of a given exercise I feel like falling asleep on the spot thats how tired I get at every session, would you say fights thrue it, more nutrition, pace my energy?
Well, it could be a few things. First of all, maybe you're doing it fine/right and this is just how you feel. Maybe you'll get used to this level of effort/intensity and after a while 10,000% will become standard for you and you wont feel like passing out anymore. OR, maybe you are over training a bit and should take more rest between sessions. You'll have to guess a bit here and make adjustments based on how you feel. Feeling sleep means, you should probably sleep more; feeling tired is normal; but if you feel like complete shit, mentally and physically, are burned out, stop making progress...then you are probably training too much, too hard.

One more thing is, when you train with really high intensity, there is no way you're going to be able to train with as much volume as if you trained with less intensity.

I think I was overtraining. I tried 7 sets for large parts and 5 for small ones and the end result is more energy for those working sets. One small thing, my workout only last about 35 minutes long it seems like nothing, should I be worried? How long do your workouts usually last?

jrod
05-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Hey JRod...glad to see you on this board. I just joined myself!

How many weeks of contest dieting do you plan on doing for this years Team U?

I plan on doing what I did last year--16 weeks. I'll do like I did last year and post everything (diet changes, progress pics, etc.) on my blog.

jrod
05-01-2009, 03:14 PM
[quote=jrod;187898]

I think I was overtraining. I tried 7 sets for large parts and 5 for small ones and the end result is more energy for those working sets. One small thing, my workout only last about 35 minutes long it seems like nothing, should I be worried? How long do your workouts usually last?

Yeah thats closer to what I do: 7 and 5.

35 minutes is fine, though I take a bit longer. I probably waste time warming up, making my shakes, waiting for people to finish using equipment, etc. Also, I rest about 3 minutes between sets. I could probably get done a bit faster (closer to 40 minutes) if I tried really hard and no one was using anything I needed. If you do everything you're supposed to do, how you're supposed to do it and it only takes 35 minutes, then great--I don't see a problem with that.

simeon
05-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Who are some of your favorite reggae artists?

redline777
05-02-2009, 12:49 AM
what are some measures u take to avoid overtraining ? or is it like they say, just a myth as long as u eat big, sleep big etc? this is for the natural...not enhanced beasts

jrod
05-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Who are some of your favorite reggae artists?

Richie Spice, Sizzla, Collie Buddz, Eek A Mouse