PDA

View Full Version : First Week on Keto Diet!

way too
03-17-2009, 03:48 AM
I'm on my fourth day on a ketogenic diet. My only carbs are from green veggies and the few in my protein powder. Other than that it's beef and fish pretty much. I bought a bottle of macadamia oil and I've been puting a tablespoon in my shakes 3x a day. I cook the fish in a little butter and put a little on my veggies.
If I eat like a pound and a half a day of broccoli or spinach, thats still a keto diet correct? I think I'm going into ketosis because I just stopped craving sugar and started craving a huge bacon cheeseburger with mayo, lol. Too bad the stores closed. One more talapia and broccoli meal then a whey/mac oil shake then bed.

musclegoddess65
03-17-2009, 04:42 AM
I'm sure your macros for a guy on keto are diff than mine... but my P/V days its a cup of veggie??

way too
03-17-2009, 05:05 AM
I'm sure your macros for a guy on keto are diff than mine... but my P/V days its a cup of veggie??
I just checked and a pound and a half of frozen broccoli has 36 carbs. I get another 18 from protein powder. Do you think that spaced out over the day would keep me out of ketosis? I'm getting plenty of good fats.

musclegoddess65
03-17-2009, 07:43 AM
Waytoo I am hardly and expert... definitely a question for someone with more knowledge of keto then I... I know when I logged my PV days less than 10% of my daily intake was from carbs...

I use Isopure Vanilla, no carbs at all...

Diggy
03-18-2009, 03:56 AM
I keep my carb intake under 30 grams

way too
03-18-2009, 05:21 AM
Waytoo I am hardly and expert... definitely a question for someone with more knowledge of keto then I... I know when I logged my PV days less than 10% of my daily intake was from carbs...

I use Isopure Vanilla, no carbs at all...
Yea, I'm getting well under 10% of my calories from carbs for sure.

Frosty
03-18-2009, 11:20 AM
That's too many carbs. Try to keep it under 40.

Angela123
03-18-2009, 12:07 PM
in john's thread, he said anywhere between 60-100 carbs are okay bc you are still in ketosis. dave says about 40-50..give or take. im sure it depends on the person tho.

when i did keto...i usually ate extra green veggies. My trainer allowed it. i didnt use dave but used pj braun who is a client of dave's. I usually had extra romaine lettuce as well as extra cucumbers and celery throughout the day. i was able to get the most ripped/leanest id ever gotten since i started competing 4 yrs ago, and no, i did not do keto when i shot my avi, i was more shredded fo rmy show where i used keto, than i was in my avi pic. but i may be different than some. so id hate to tell you to keep eating the extra veggies.

Suzy Brown
03-18-2009, 12:10 PM
Green veg = dietary fiber and do NOT spike insulin... therefore are fine, they do not count as net carbs. (from what I've learned)

Angela123
03-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Green veg = dietary fiber and do NOT spike insulin... therefore are fine, they do not count as net carbs. (from what I've learned)

that is what i thought too. i remember texting PJ and saying, "can i have extra green veggies if im still hungry? such as celery, cucumbers or extra lettuce." he said, "yes."

Suzy Brown
03-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Greens are "free foods," you can eat as much as you like. Darker the green color, the more minerals too!

Angela123
03-18-2009, 12:23 PM
i love, love, love baby spinach. i eat so much of it lol.

Suzy Brown
03-18-2009, 12:23 PM
I know a guy who eats 4 -6 HEADS of lettuce per meal. Its hard to get full on the small amount of protein he's having, so pigging out on salad keeps him feeling satisfied, and keeps him at the table socializing with his family in a 'normal' way... sometimes you feel anti-social and neglected/ deprived...

Angela123
03-18-2009, 12:25 PM
sounds like me...just like week i used 2 heads of lettuce to make one salad. lol.

gman
03-18-2009, 12:29 PM

depends on whose diet you are on. Dave's allows one green leafy salad a day, and that's it! I wish he would slack on that one so I could eat green beans and broccoli.lol

Suzy Brown
03-18-2009, 12:29 PM
I eat half a head as a snack. Hot pepper sesame oil and salt!

gman
03-18-2009, 12:35 PM
that sounds yummy. I can't believe I am fantasizing about eating water.

Angela123
03-18-2009, 12:52 PM
depends on whose diet you are on. Dave's allows one green leafy salad a day, and that's it! I wish he would slack on that one so I could eat green beans and broccoli.lol

well...pj, like i said is dave's client as well and pj is cool with extra lettuce at meals. pj also only has 1 green salad on his diet plan, but he told me that it would be okay if i ate a romaine lettuce salad at every meal, if i wanted to. and this is when i was prepping for a show. obviously, with no oil on it, except for the salad that is allowed oil.

iceberg lettuce is nothing. i think if you wanted to eat a head of lettuce, you can burn those 20 extra calories off by twiddling ur thumbs for an extra minute or so. im not knocking your trainer and i know you pay to eat what he tells you to eat. but sometimes if u actually stop and look at what you want to eat, in this case, a head of lettuce that is basically nothing, you'll realize that it is okay to eat.

you're not competing, correct? im sure a head of lettuce wont kill your diet.

Frosty
03-18-2009, 01:07 PM
I ran some quick numbers here. I weighed a head of lettuce, 775g, then I weighed out the portion you don't eat, 50g. that's 725g of lettuce. Plugged into the USDA nutritional database it yields a net carb amount of 12.8g and 102 total calories.

In my opinion, a head of lettuce a day would be alright assuming you're not eating a ton of other veggies, i wouldn't eat it all in one meal on this type of diet.

gman
03-18-2009, 01:21 PM
that's a lot of lettuce and not a lot of calories, definitely a way to satisfy the urge to crunch on something.

Suzy Brown
03-18-2009, 01:24 PM
The whole point of keto is to avoid eating foods that spike your insulin... fiber carbs don't. Some might be on CAL restriction too (like gman) so their coach might not want them plugging in extra food (and greens beg for some high cal-high fat dressings too often) so they might not be on everyone's menu...

Once you're sure you're in ketosis (pee on the sticks) you can have greens. Again, those carbs won't spike insulin so they shouldn't have the effect of putting you out of ketosis.

Also some people can be keto at 50g carbs a day, others need to be below 30-35. The sticks are the good way to know for certain. Experiment and see if a salad will affect your personal ketosis and then you'll know for sure. The human body is so unique & delicate. Even what works for you now might not work for the next guy or gal, and might not work for the next prep diet.

Frosty
03-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Packs of Splenda contain dextrose, but that won't spike your insulin. Does that mean you don't have to use strict moderation on this diet??

Suzy Brown
03-18-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm no expert!! Again, use the pee sticks to judge for yourself. That's the only way you will know for certain if you're in or out of ketosis.

Some never eat any fake sweeteners, some eat tons. Personally the aftertaste gets me to not indulge, plus the "over consumption may cause laxative effect."

gman
03-18-2009, 01:34 PM
This is the highest cal restricted diet I have every been on at 2700 a day!

I know Dave says 1-2 packs of splenda a day is ok, but no more than that.

I am not 100% sure, but I think he tends to think of carb gram "creep" as a danger. 1g here, 1g there, and you add up quick and go over 40-50g that day.

Not sure of this, but it's how I interpret his answers on Q&A thread.

Angela123
03-18-2009, 01:42 PM
splenda is not okay at all imo. id use sweet and low and equal b4 splenda.

when i prep for shows, i use stevia if i need a sweetner.

1-2 packets a day. why not just cut it out completely? what will 1-2 packets do 4ya?

Frosty
03-18-2009, 01:49 PM
My point was that glycemic index of carbs is irrelevant to whether they matter or not. It was in response to the whole thing about veggies not spiking insulin so they're okay. My point is that having 1 or 2 packets of splenda with dextrose in it won't spike insulin either (and neither will doing that 8 times a day), as glycemic load is the important thing to go by. Carbs add up whether they spike insulin or not.

I wouldn't have 80g of trace carbs in a low carb cutting diet. Dave Palumbo wouldn't allow it in his diet, Mauro Di Pasquale who is one of the leaders in this type of diet wouldn't, either, and Charles Poliquin who is another genius in the field says very low carb diets should be no more than 0.25g carbs/bodyweight in lbs.

gman
03-18-2009, 02:00 PM
No Ondrea, what I meant is Dave does not want anyone to use splenda packets, but I think he has said 1-2 and no more would be the absolute limit, and that no one seems to be able to stop at 1-2.

It was in his latest Q&A:

I say Splenda is not ok because most people use excessive amounts. If you can limit yourself to a couple of packets per day, that’s fine.

Frosty
03-18-2009, 02:05 PM
No Ondrea, what I meant is Dave does not want anyone to use splenda packets, but I think he has said 1-2 and no more would be the absolute limit, and that no one seems to be able to stop at 1-2.

It was in his latest Q&A:

I say Splenda is not ok because most people use excessive amounts. If you can limit yourself to a couple of packets per day, that’s fine.

Right, and the only reason he doesn't like them is because they contain sugar. 1g of pure sugar isn't going to affect insulin and it won't mess up the diet. Do it too much and it will. Same with veggies.

gman
03-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Yep, and for me it's best to just say no to veggies, equal and all of it. I am too easily tempted to do too much of them

It's like keeping the almonds in my desk instead of the kitchen at work. I have slipped a couple of times and eaten too many. I keep them in the kitchen now.

Angela123
03-18-2009, 04:47 PM
well, we are all different. with my genetics, i have never had problems getting ripped and conditioned for my shows. but i understand where you are coming from gman...you always mention how hard it is for you to lose weight bc of your endo type body, so its probably a good idea to stay away from extra carbs, even if the carbs are from lettuce. but i know, me personally, i can have a few extra cups of iceberg lettuce throughout the day and ill be fine and still lose weight each week.

i just did some online research on ketosis. read that people are different. some need less than 50 to stay in keto. while others are still in keto if they go as high as 85-100.

Angela123
03-18-2009, 04:51 PM
i just edited the spelling error in the title! geez..that was annoying me lol!

gman
03-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Yeah, Ondrea, I am up to 90 minutes of cardio, 7 days a week per Dave. And I have gained 3 lbs since my weigh in on Saturday, while eating exactly the same things as usual. My body is very unique! lol

I would love to add some veggies, but not in the cards!

Angela123
03-18-2009, 05:08 PM
cardio does suck. i was up to 2 hr and 45 min everyday for my last show. we all have to do lots of cardio after a while. the body gets so damn used to it.

dont stress. you've been on the diet all week, you had ur cheat meal sun, which was after your weigh in on sat. those 3 lbs are water caused by your cheat meal. its not possible to gain 3 pounds of actual fat since sun night. esp when ur dieting and doing cardio. plus u have to keep in mind the everyday seasonings, salt, soy sauce (which dave does allow) or diet sodas you may use. all that affects ur water weight.

gman
03-18-2009, 05:21 PM
thanks, Ondrea. I know that stuff in my brain, but my mind doesn't think it, it thinks negatively too much!

I am not going to weigh anymore except on the morning before my cheat meal.

gman
03-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Anyway, to the O/P. Eat the veggies but make sure they are fibrous kind, and keep it in reasonable amounts and you will be fine, IMO!

Angela123
03-18-2009, 05:25 PM
im not a very optimistic individual either but im a realist. so just keep the reality of the weight gain in your mind. keep reminding yourself that there is no reality to the idea that you gained 3 pounds of actual FAT since sun night. esp since you are dieting and doing 90 min of cardio a day. remember...think realistically...even if you werent dieting or doing cardio, it be pretty damn hard to gain 3 lbs of ACTUAL FAT in 3 days.

Suzy Brown
03-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Ya, it was probably some combo of water & muscle, not fat.

I was able to gain mad muscle on keto. And I ate lots of veg. As I love to say, you don't eat your greens you can't make your poops!

Frosty
03-18-2009, 05:36 PM
gman, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if you're gaining muscle and losing fat with this diet. You probably didn't eat this much protein before, and combine that with serious weight training and that's very possible.

gman
03-18-2009, 05:43 PM
I think it's happening that way. I don't want to hijack this thread anymore, but here is a link to my journal where I have a photo from 1/08 at 210 vs now at 210. Big improvement!

post 599

http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?t=456&page=20

way too
03-18-2009, 08:23 PM
i just edited the spelling error in the title! geez..that was annoying me lol!
Thanks. lol.

musclegoddess65
03-18-2009, 08:25 PM
i love, love, love baby spinach. i eat so much of it lol.

makes the best salad in the world... baby spinach and throw my chicken on top with some oil and vinegar.

musclegoddess65
03-18-2009, 08:27 PM
I eat half a head as a snack. Hot pepper sesame oil and salt!

OMG that sounds yummy!!

way too
03-18-2009, 08:36 PM
I appreciate all the info and first hand experience everybody. I'm gonna keep the veggies around a pound a day(12 net carbs or so). If I get real hungry I'll eat some lettuce with oil and vinigar or some green olives. Anybody eat a little cheese as a snack while in keto? I know its not on Daves diet, but its 0carb.

gman
03-18-2009, 09:34 PM
cheese is saturated fat I believe and very high cal, stay away from it, or at least keep it to a minimum