PDA

View Full Version : Training while cutting

tiramisu
03-17-2009, 09:25 AM
I'm in week 3 of Dave's diet and the fat is melting off.
I'm also taking a fair bit of test and tren.

I've been doing a linear strength program this spring (Rippetoe's advanced novice) 3x /wk, 5 reps, big compound lifts.

Many PR's were set. Fun was had....

But I've maxed out on most of my lifts and my recovery on this diet can't keep up with my program. I'm committed to the diet for another 9-12 weeks.

So I'm thinking I need to modify my training before I break (the warning aches are there).

I've considered simply resetting my weight down and lowering my increments and riding the diet.

I've also considered reducing weight and increasing reps/set to try to achieve a similar total volu

What are the common adjustments that you make to your training when you are preparing for a contest/dieting down?

thanks,
t

brewsterfitness
03-17-2009, 10:46 AM
T, I did Dave's diet last year from March to late July and dropped about 45lbs. I would assume if you are in your 3rd week you just enjoyed your first cheat meal (Sunday?) I would adapt my workouts (they were more traditional bodybuilding style) so that I was training my larger muscle groups and heaviest on the days immediatley following my cheat meal. As the week goes on and you use up any carbs you took in, there will be a drop in strength, energy and pump. As I got deeper in to the diet I found I started to get a bit of the pump back and came to terms with my strength levels being what they were. I feel it's counterproductive to keep beating yourself up. Injury is just one rep away in a dieted state. Listen to you body!