PDA

View Full Version : Weight gain and birth control

x100696
08-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Hey Ladies, my wife and I recently had our first child 5 months ago. Since My wife lost almost all of her her pre-pregnancy weight soon after Aubree was born. As soon as she started taking Jolivette (Her new birth control for breast feeding mom's) she's been putting on about 7 lbs per month. Before I get slammed by the women, I still love her with all my heart. She's just down all the time because she's always been a fit person. I was just wondering if any of you had any of the same experiences. Thanks if advance!

tight booty
08-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Firstly a huge congrats on your new baby daughter! There are several threads here about women experiencing weight gain and fluid gain after commencing birth control pills. Have a look through the threads sweetie....:)

~gymdiva~
08-07-2010, 10:50 AM
why would we slam you? you're asking a question about your wife's hormones and weight gain....sounds fine to me!

I have not seen anyone asking about that BC specifically....has she talked with her doctor about it? she might want to consider something else....and if it's breastfeeding that's the concern I say have her look into a non-hormonal IUD....or wait and use OTC protection and when she's done breastfeeding look into other BC pills again...

was she on the pill (or any other RX birth control) prior to y'all having the lil one?

x100696
08-07-2010, 10:55 AM
why would we slam you? you're asking a question about your wife's hormones and weight gain....sounds fine to me!

I have not seen anyone asking about that BC specifically....has she talked with her doctor about it? she might want to consider something else....and if it's breastfeeding that's the concern I say have her look into a non-hormonal IUD....or wait and use OTC protection and when she's done breastfeeding look into other BC pills again...

was she on the pill (or any other RX birth control) prior to y'all having the lil one?
Yeah, she was on a a different pill before, and she had a little weight gain (3-5lbs) but nothing like this. Her doctor is one of those men that think that the bc pills have nothing to do w/weight gain so she takes him at his word. But she's always eats healthy does prob 30min+ cardio a day, and is still gaining weight. So we're just confused!

~gymdiva~
08-07-2010, 11:01 AM
omg I had a doc like that....unless he's super uber awesome in everything else, switch! doctors like that won't listen to you and in the end it will wind up hurting you....it could be ten years from now but it will eventually have an affect.....

I really think she should come off of it....I know we are not doctors but I really think this is something you should try....just have her stop for a minimum of a month....preferably two....let her body get it's balance without the pill....and see what happens....no changes in diet and routine....just drop the pill out....if this weight gain stops then you have your answer....

hormones are so tricky with females and when you start mixing in post-baby and BC it just gets more fun!

x100696
08-07-2010, 11:09 AM
omg I had a doc like that....unless he's super uber awesome in everything else, switch! doctors like that won't listen to you and in the end it will wind up hurting you....it could be ten years from now but it will eventually have an affect.....

I really think she should come off of it....I know we are not doctors but I really think this is something you should try....just have her stop for a minimum of a month....preferably two....let her body get it's balance without the pill....and see what happens....no changes in diet and routine....just drop the pill out....if this weight gain stops then you have your answer....

hormones are so tricky with females and when you start mixing in post-baby and BC it just gets more fun!
Cool, will do! Really appreciate the advice! She will too!

~gymdiva~
08-07-2010, 06:34 PM
keep us posted! :)

sassy69
08-07-2010, 07:54 PM
I agree w/ Diva - estrogen manipulation & water / weight gain go hand in hand. I'm sure she's still got some hormone wackiness from birth and breast feeding, and then throw in any new BC and you've got all sorts of fun. I would do research on this particular BC as well as talk to the doc in terms of how long is it necessary to be on this particular pill if its specifically for breast feeding. I feel like a good doc will work with you to find the best dosing to work w/ your particular body chemistry, and if they won't or tell you just suck it , that's just the way it is, or something lame like that, then I would ask for a second opinion and look for another doc.

I think its also important to note that this is a transitory phase so its not like this situation w/ the breast feeding & the breast feeding BC is what you have to learn to live with. If its just a few more months, is that ok to just live with and make plans to move to another BC at that time or go back to what she was using before? Generally I've always used a very, very low dose BC and had very little issue w/ weigth gain. And also explore an IUD as an option for BC - they generally recommend it for people who have had kids and aren't oplanning to have more. The idea is that they are good for 5 yrs, take them out and you can still have kids immediately after (no hormonal transition), but for the money and putting them in, they recommend them for people who aren't going to have more kids.

s2h
08-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Yeah, she was on a a different pill before, and she had a little weight gain (3-5lbs) but nothing like this. Her doctor is one of those men that think that the bc pills have nothing to do w/weight gain so she takes him at his word. But she's always eats healthy does prob 30min+ cardio a day, and is still gaining weight. So we're just confused!alot of doctors are wined and dined by reps from the pharm companies...and for this reason will push a certain drug and "only" believe it's the best...if he wont switch to another BC pill then switch doc"s...oh and congrats on the baby...

x100696
08-08-2010, 10:26 AM
I agree w/ Diva - estrogen manipulation & water / weight gain go hand in hand. I'm sure she's still got some hormone wackiness from birth and breast feeding, and then throw in any new BC and you've got all sorts of fun. I would do research on this particular BC as well as talk to the doc in terms of how long is it necessary to be on this particular pill if its specifically for breast feeding. I feel like a good doc will work with you to find the best dosing to work w/ your particular body chemistry, and if they won't or tell you just suck it , that's just the way it is, or something lame like that, then I would ask for a second opinion and look for another doc.

I think its also important to note that this is a transitory phase so its not like this situation w/ the breast feeding & the breast feeding BC is what you have to learn to live with. If its just a few more months, is that ok to just live with and make plans to move to another BC at that time or go back to what she was using before? Generally I've always used a very, very low dose BC and had very little issue w/ weigth gain. And also explore an IUD as an option for BC - they generally recommend it for people who have had kids and aren't oplanning to have more. The idea is that they are good for 5 yrs, take them out and you can still have kids immediately after (no hormonal transition), but for the money and putting them in, they recommend them for people who aren't going to have more kids.
Cool, thanks for the advice!