PDA

View Full Version : Moving Up A Weight Class

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

joedemarco
08-07-2010, 01:21 PM
I've been training real hard since my last contest (Team U - Sept '09) to move up a weight class. I brought my weight up to an off season high of 192 (At a towering 5'4") which I was quite happy with. I have been dieting the past 5 weeks and have brought my body weight down to about 185 pounds. I'm not sure what weight I will be at next time I step on stage. That's why I'm using the summer/fall to diet and see how I look. I've decided to use the New England Championships in October as my testing grounds before hitting a national level show. I haven't competed in a regional show in 3-4 years but I think it will be a good test run before stepping onstage in 2011.

I took some progress pics today. It actually felt weird to take some pictures as I literally haven't hit a bodybuilding pose in months. I really hate posting progress pics because I am never pleased with how I look during contest prep. However, I think it will be good to get feedback. As you can see, I am in serious need of a tan, however I try to stay out of the sun because I use to get to much when I was younger. I had a melanoma removed from my back about 12 years ago so that was the end of my days tanning.

I will be using this thread to post training and nutrition. I have 11 weeks to go.

SwoleChamp
08-07-2010, 01:33 PM
lookin good bro, good luck to you. and protan is wonderful isnt it lol

agentdb003
08-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Looks good bro... you upper body looks very good,legs need to be thicker,for a welter weight show,I won the N.E show many years ago as a lightweight train hard,you will do well.

Mac
08-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Looking good Joe. I will be watching your progress.

joedemarco
08-07-2010, 08:06 PM
lookin good bro, good luck to you. and protan is wonderful isnt it lol

Thanks! Yeah, I don't tan at all leading up to a contest. I have a great system I use for the tanning and my color always comes out real good.

Looks good bro... you upper body looks very good,legs need to be thicker,for a welter weight show,I won the N.E show many years ago as a lightweight train hard,you will do well.

Thanks for the support. What year did you win the New Englands? I competed in it many years ago also.

Looking good Joe. I will be watching your progress.

Thanks, Mac. Glad to know you will be checking in!

joedemarco
08-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Had a couple of good training days on Friday and today (Saturday). My philosophy is to always go as hard and heavy all the way through my contest prep. I find that lifting heavy maintains thickness while dieting. To this point, I also have not gone anywhere within 20 feet of a piece of cardio. I will add in cardio when I feel the time is right (and necessary).

Friday was back and calves:

Deadlifts: 135 X 15, 225 X 10, 315 X 5, 365 X 1, 405 X 3, 455 X 3, 475 X 2, 505 X 0 (missed the fucker!), 455 X 3, 405 X 8

Bent over DB row (reverse grip): 315 X 8, 315 X 8, 315 X 8

Wide grip pulldowns: 160 X 10, 180 X 10, 180 X 10, 180 X 10

V-grip pulldowns: 170 X 10, 170 X 10, 170 X 10

Standing calves: 300 X 20, 405 X 15, 495 X 15, 570 X 12, 570 X 12, 570 X 10 drop to 495 X 8 drop to 405 X 8 drop to 300 X 15

Saturday (today) was shoulders and arms:

Seated rear delts: 70 X 15, 80 X 15, 90 X 15, 100 X 12, 120 X 12, 120 X 12, 120 X 12

Seated DB presses: 70 X 12, 80 X 10, 85 X 8, 85 X 8, 85 X 8

One Arm Laterals: 50 X 12, 55 X 10, 55 X 10, 55 X 10

BB Shrugs: 315 X 15, 405 X 15, 495 X 12, 545 X 10, 545 X 10, 545 X 10

Plate raises: 45 X 12, 45 X 12, 45 X 12

Standing Alt. DB curls: 55 X 10, 60 X 8, 60 X 8, 60 X 8

Rope pushdowns: 155 X 12, 155 X 12, 155 X 12, 155 X 10 drop to 125 X 8 drop to 95 X 8

Cable curls: 155 X 10, 155 X 10, 155 X 10 drop to 125 X 8 drop to 95 X 6 drop to 65 X 6

Overhead Cable Triceps: 125 X 10, 125 X 10, 125 X 10

V-Man
08-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Congratulations glad your heading back to the stage. I can't wait to see the changes coming to your physique. I'll be watching.

Mac
08-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Nice lifts. Strong!

Good to see one arm side laterals as there aren't many doing that these days. One of my favorite shoulder exercises. Stems from the days of being poor and couldn't afford a gym membership and having only 3 dumbbells to work out with at home. I think it was 25-35 and 50lb DB, one of each.

v1hyp
08-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Good Luck Guy!!

joedemarco
08-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Congratulations glad your heading back to the stage. I can't wait to see the changes coming to your physique. I'll be watching.

Glad you will be following along, V-man. Hope all is well and you are training hard!

Nice lifts. Strong!

Good to see one arm side laterals as there aren't many doing that these days. One of my favorite shoulder exercises. Stems from the days of being poor and couldn't afford a gym membership and having only 3 dumbbells to work out with at home. I think it was 25-35 and 50lb DB, one of each.

Yeah, I like to alternate between one arm side laterals and two arms. Sometimes I feel like I can get a better pump with one arm laterals because I can go heavier by bracing myself with my free arm.

Good Luck Guy!!

Thanks! I appreciate the encouragement!

THEVMAN
08-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Great thickness man - re tanning - I use a single coat - takes a few mins then most washes off - but it is great to see a bit more detail in pics - I am very white like you and it can hide some detail. I think you look great for 11 weeks out, abs and back are amazing!!!
I would just look at the hight to weight ratio at the national level to see where you land, and how it would effect conditioning. I guess all the top 5s are ripped to shreds - with even striated glutes - but it seems more common in the Welter, Light wt, & Bantam - but thats just IMO - others may see it differently - best of luck - you will do great - you have the mass and we can see how it is starting to carve out detail.

joedemarco
08-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Great thickness man - re tanning - I use a single coat - takes a few mins then most washes off - but it is great to see a bit more detail in pics - I am very white like you and it can hide some detail. I think you look great for 11 weeks out, abs and back are amazing!!!
I would just look at the hight to weight ratio at the national level to see where you land, and how it would effect conditioning. I guess all the top 5s are ripped to shreds - with even striated glutes - but it seems more common in the Welter, Light wt, & Bantam - but thats just IMO - others may see it differently - best of luck - you will do great - you have the mass and we can see how it is starting to carve out detail.

Yeah, I'm not really sure where I'm gonna end up, in regards to weight. I know I won't make lightweights (154) anymore. I guess that's why I'm using this regional show in October to experiment. I want to see what wait I end up and how lean I get. I'll make adjustments from there for 2011. BTW, great job with your prep for Masters Nationals last month.

joedemarco
08-09-2010, 09:03 AM
My workout schedule is a little screwed up this week because of an important business meeting I have this afternoon. Monday is always leg day. If it was any other body part I would have "squeezed" it in early this morning or during the day. However, I don't like to just squeeze in a leg workout. I consider leg day a major event for the week. Anyways, legs will be tomorrow afternoon.

I wanted to post my current nutrition plan. I try to always make small cuts each week. Never anything to drastic. Here's what is in store for this week:

Meal #1: 1/4 cup steel cut oats with TBSP PB, one whole egg, 6 whites
Meal #2: 6 egg whites
Meal #3: 8 ounces lean ground turkey/veggies
Meal #4: 8 ounces lean ground turkey/veggies
Meal #5: 8 ounces fish or chicken/veggies
Meal #6: 6 egg whites

I am not using any supplementation at this time other then some fish oil that I take in the morning and evening.

I have felt great and have been maintaining strength and muscle mass. I will adjust what I need to next week.

Hammerfit
08-09-2010, 09:30 AM
My workout schedule is a little screwed up this week because of an important business meeting I have this afternoon. Monday is always leg day. If it was any other body part I would have "squeezed" it in early this morning or during the day. However, I don't like to just squeeze in a leg workout. I consider leg day a major event for the week. Anyways, legs will be tomorrow afternoon.

I wanted to post my current nutrition plan. I try to always make small cuts each week. Never anything to drastic. Here's what is in store for this week:

I am not using any supplementation at this time other then some fish oil that I take in the morning and evening.

I have felt great and have been maintaining strength and muscle mass. I will adjust what I need to next week.

wow..that's aggressive nutrition plan, you don't need any carbs to stay full?
I'm with ya on leg day, it's like the Holy Grail around here!

axioma
08-09-2010, 09:40 AM
great start...well you been doing this awhile, but great start on the new competitive endeavors.

joedemarco
08-09-2010, 10:43 AM
wow..that's aggressive nutrition plan, you don't need any carbs to stay full?
I'm with ya on leg day, it's like the Holy Grail around here!

I have been feeling really good with the limited carbs I've been taking in. Haven't been feeling hungry either. I will actually go full keto over the next 2-3 weeks. Depends on how things are going.

Yeah, today was suppose to be a heavy squat day so instead of doing it this morning at 5 a.m. and having a shitty workout, I'll just do it tomorrow afternoon. I could actually use the extra day as my back is still a little sore (in a good way) from all the deadlifting I did Friday.

great start...well you been doing this awhile, but great start on the new competitive endeavors.

Thanks, Ax. It should be fun. I'm gonna be doing a little experimenting on this contest prep in order to work out a few kinks for the 2011 season.

joedemarco
08-10-2010, 08:28 PM
This afternoon was my primary leg workout. I have another day that I do some extra hamstring/glute work.

I was in a squatting mood today. I started squatting, it felt good, so I just went with it.

Squats

135 X 15, 225 X 15, 275 X 5, 315 X 5, 365 X 5, 405 X 3. 455 X 3, 405 X 8, 405 X 8, 365 X 12, 365 X 12, 365 X 12

Leg Extensions

120 X 15, 140 X 12, 140 X 12, 140 X 12, 120 X 12, 120 X 12

Single Leg Cybex Squat Press

6 Plates X 15 (each leg), 8 plates X 10 (each leg), 6 plates X 15 (each leg), 6 Plates X 15 (each leg)

I perform a lot of deep myofascial type stretching between sets.

Legs were cooked when I left the gym. It felt great!

Hammerfit
08-10-2010, 08:32 PM
This afternoon was my primary leg workout. I have another day that I do some extra hamstring/glute work.

I was in a squatting mood today. I started squatting, it felt good, so I just went with it.

Squats

135 X 15, 225 X 15, 275 X 5, 315 X 5, 365 X 5, 405 X 3. 455 X 3, 405 X 8, 405 X 8, 365 X 12, 365 X 12, 365 X 12

Leg Extensions

120 X 15, 140 X 12, 140 X 12, 140 X 12, 120 X 12, 120 X 12

Single Leg Cybex Squat Press

6 Plates X 15 (each leg), 8 plates X 10 (each leg), 6 plates X 15 (each leg), 6 Plates X 15 (each leg)

I perform a lot of deep myofascial type stretching between sets.

Legs were cooked when I left the gym. It felt great!

Holy Smokes!!!!! How did you walk out of there?! Great Job!

joedemarco
08-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Holy Smokes!!!!! How did you walk out of there?! Great Job!

LOL...Thanks. Yeah, my legs were pretty beat. Thank God there's only a couple of stairs out of my gym....

joedemarco
08-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Today was chest day. I have been very busy recently with various business commitments. Today was no exception so I was really looking forward to my workout this afternoon. It's really my only mental relaxation and escape from reality each day.

Bench: 135 X 15, 225 X 5, 275 X 2, 315 X 2, 345 X 2, 315 X 5, 315 X 4, 275 X 8, 275 X 8

Flat DB: 85 X 8 (acclimate), 110 X 8, 110 X 8, 110 X 8

Smith Machine Incline Bench (low incline): 4 plates X 10, 4 plates X 10, 4 plates X 10

Hammer Uni-lateral Flat Bench (plate load machine): 6 plates X10, 6 plates X 10, 6 plates X 9 (couldn't get 10 again).

I was pretty beat by the end of the workout. I think the benching wiped me out pretty much for the remainder of the workout.

Nutrition is going well. My energy and strength is fine. Still avoiding cardio. Will see what changes I need to make over this coming weekend.

axioma
08-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Looking at the workout...it seems power heavy! What I am saying is that you went heavy on the flat bar bench...that I would lose the ability to squeeze and concentrate on the contraction of db bench and hammer press.
If I go that low rep...then I tend to keep the whole workout that way and maybe finish with a FST-7 for fascia stretch. jUst my .02.

joedemarco
08-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Looking at the workout...it seems power heavy! What I am saying is that you went heavy on the flat bar bench...that I would lose the ability to squeeze and concentrate on the contraction of db bench and hammer press.
If I go that low rep...then I tend to keep the whole workout that way and maybe finish with a FST-7 for fascia stretch. jUst my .02.

Thanks for the input, Ax. I always appreciate it. I actually didn't plan on benching that heavy yesterday, but when I started I felt really good and just went with it. I do that sometimes...just go with my instincts and how I feel. Other days, I plan to go heavy, feel like shit, and adjust my workout accordingly.

KevinCouch
08-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Joe,
I just did the Master Nats this year and won my class welters and I weighed ini at 164. As you know, you don't usually end up weighing what you thought you would onstage..you're always several pounds lighter. I'm five foot five and I was pretty hard at 11 weeks out at 185. I'm 43 (no excuses) but my training differs from yours in that I do as much weight as I can to stimulate the muscle but I use slow controlled reps to really feel the muscle working. You look like you've put on good size but IMO (just an opinion) you might want to back off of the weight you're using and concentrate on the rep and not getting the maximum amount of weight up. This helped me out tremendously for this year's Master Nationals. This helped me etch out the detail in the size I had already built in the offseason...still goin heavy but not so low of reps.
Good luck this fall!
Kevin

joedemarco
08-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Joe,
I just did the Master Nats this year and won my class welters and I weighed ini at 164. As you know, you don't usually end up weighing what you thought you would onstage..you're always several pounds lighter. I'm five foot five and I was pretty hard at 11 weeks out at 185. I'm 43 (no excuses) but my training differs from yours in that I do as much weight as I can to stimulate the muscle but I use slow controlled reps to really feel the muscle working. You look like you've put on good size but IMO (just an opinion) you might want to back off of the weight you're using and concentrate on the rep and not getting the maximum amount of weight up. This helped me out tremendously for this year's Master Nationals. This helped me etch out the detail in the size I had already built in the offseason...still goin heavy but not so low of reps.
Good luck this fall!
Kevin

Congratulations on your victory this year, Kevin. I have seen some pics and you looked great.

I appreciate your input on my training. I think our philosophies differ slightly. In regards to weight, I always use a weight that I can perform good controlled reps with a full range of motion. I never just pile weight on a bar to just try to get the weight up in some uncontrolled fashion. In regards to the number of reps, I kind of cycle my training. I have periods of training in the 4-6 rep range while other times I'm in the 8-10 rep range. On occasional days, when I'm feeling good, I enjoy pushing out a single or double rep. It's not a regular part of my training, but I feel that it helps increase my overall strength for future training.

I have found that training heavy, right up to the time of the show, helps maintain thickness. I'm not one to start performing high reps (12-15+) just because I'm prepping for a contest. Some guys do that thinking that it helps get them ripped. My philosophy is that diet and cardio (when needed) is what gets you shredded. Weight training is for muscle size and thickness.

By the way, good to see you posting in the masters forum!

Hammerfit
08-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Congratulations on your victory this year, Kevin. I have seen some pics and you looked great.

I appreciate your input on my training. I think our philosophies differ slightly. In regards to weight, I always use a weight that I can perform good controlled reps with a full range of motion. I never just pile weight on a bar to just try to get the weight up in some uncontrolled fashion. In regards to the number of reps, I kind of cycle my training. I have periods of training in the 4-6 rep range while other times I'm in the 8-10 rep range. On occasional days, when I'm feeling good, I enjoy pushing out a single or double rep. It's not a regular part of my training, but I feel that it helps increase my overall strength for future training.

I have found that training heavy, right up to the time of the show, helps maintain thickness. I'm not one to start performing high reps (12-15+) just because I'm prepping for a contest. Some guys do that thinking that it helps get them ripped. My philosophy is that diet and cardio (when needed) is what gets you shredded. Weight training is for muscle size and thickness.

I agree, everyone has to find what works best for them, no two trainees are alike therefore no two can have the same training schemes. I have been studying Dante's philosophies lately and really like some of the things he has to say. The thing I like the most is focusing on the negative portion of the rep to force more stimulation and doing rest pause to prolong the working set into a state of absolute failure and doing what he refers to as extreme stretching. His funny ass comment on the subject is, "the only thing the positive part of the rep is for is to get to the negative portion.

joedemarco
08-13-2010, 07:46 AM
I agree, everyone has to find what works best for them, no two trainees are alike therefore no two can have the same training schemes. I have been studying Dante's philosophies lately and really like some of the things he has to say. The thing I like the most is focusing on the negative portion of the rep to force more stimulation and doing rest pause to prolong the working set into a state of absolute failure and doing what he refers to as extreme stretching. His funny ass comment on the subject is, "the only thing the positive part of the rep is for is to get to the negative portion.

Good points, Hammer. I also enjoy incorporating rest/pause type training into my workouts. I definitely agree with that statement about the negative portion being the most important part of the rep.

Scoobysnacks
08-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Looking good Joe, Id say more adductor meat would really benefit your legs from the front and in your rear shots along with more lat width in the FDB and RDB. Overall well done.

joedemarco
08-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Looking good Joe, Id say more adductor meat would really benefit your legs from the front and in your rear shots along with more lat width in the FDB and RDB. Overall well done.

Thanks for popping in, Scoob. Your input is always highly regarded. Thanks for the critique. I agree and am working my ass off every day trying to bring up all weak areas of my physique. I'm gonna post some new progress pics over the weekend. Let me know what you think if you happen to see them.

joedemarco
08-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Just finished my workout a short time ago. Friday is usually back and calves, however because of a screwed up schedule this week my training got a little screwed up. I therefore added in a little extra hamstring work today.

I am still feeling real good in the gym. Getting great pumps and feeling strong. I feel like I'm growing every day (which is funny cause I know I'm slowly losing weight).

For those of you who don't deadlift on a regular basis, all I can say is that you are missing out on one of the BEST overall (and back) exercises known to man....lol. After deadlifting, my back is soooo pumped, I feel that I could literally just go home after just doing that exercise.

Deads: several warm-up sets followed by 3 working sets: 455 X 4, 405 X 8, 405 X 8

wide grip chin-ups: 3 sets of 10 (really slow reps)

Hammer pull downs (plate loaded machine): 4 plates for 2 sets of 10 followed by a rest/pause set of 10 reps, 5 breaths, 6 reps, 5 breaths, 5 reps

Seated rows (body master machine that has a chest pad): 170 X 10 (slow neg), 170 X 10 (slow negs), 170 X 10 (slow negs)

wide grip cable pulldowns: 180 X 10, 180 X 10, rest/pause set 180 X 10, 5 breaths, 180 X 8, 5 breaths, 180 X 5

Standing ham curls: 100 X 12 (3 sets each leg)

Prone leg curls: 120 X 10 (3 sets)

All ham movements really concentrated on negs.

Standing Calves: 345 X 15, 450 X 12, 540 X 12, 570 X 10, 570 X 10, 570 X 10

Nothing but a good time today......what's better then lifting weights?

Baldiewonkanobi
08-13-2010, 06:37 PM
You train similar to HDG. Heavy to the end. Can't knock it.

Baldie

Mac
08-13-2010, 07:16 PM
what's better then lifting weights?

Ummm, more lifting. I can think of something else.

joedemarco
08-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Shoulders and Arms this morning. It's been fun the last two Saturdays going to the gym because my 12 year old daughter has gone with me. She's really into working out and sports.

Started with some cable criss crosses for rear delts. I perform these by standing in front of a cable crossover machine. I grab the right cable with my left hand and the left cable with my right hand. (I don't attach anything to the cables. I basically just grab the little ball at the end of the cable.) By grabbing in this manner, my arms are in front of me and crossed. I then open my arms out to my side ending in a cross position. I did several light sets to help my shoulders warm up and then performed three working sets: 65 (each cable) X 12, 65 X 12, 65 X 12.

Hammer Shoulder Press (plate loaded): 2 acclimation sets followed by: three plates on each side X 6 for 3 sets, two plates on each side X 12

Haney shrugs: one acclimation set, 225 X 15, 225 X 15, 225 X 15
(For those not familiar with these, you stand in front of the bar in a power rack. I have the bar set a few inches below my butt. I grab the bar with an under hand grip. The movement is performed by first bending the elbows slightly and pulling the bar up over the butt. You then shrug up from there. Great trap exercise.)

DB Laterals: 45 X 10, 45 X 10, 45 X 10

Hammer Preacher Curls (plate loaded): 2 plates X 10, 2 plates X 10, 2 plates X 10, 5 breaths, X 6, 5 breaths, X 4 (rest/pause set)

Cable rope pushdowns: 155 X 12, 155 X 12, 155 X 12 drop 125 X 8 drop 95 X 8

Single Arm Cable Curls: 75 X 10, 75 X 10, 75 X 10

Close grip bench: 225 X 10, 225 X 10, 225 X 9 (just couldn't get the 10th)

Cable curls (rest/pause): 155 X 10, 5 breaths, 155 X 7, 5 breaths, 155 X 4

I am pretty beat from training this week. It was a good week of training but I definitely need my regular Sunday off. I'm going to get my wife to take some progress pics tomorrow and will post them up.

joedemarco
08-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Taking a much needed day off from the gym today. Just came back from a nice hour walk with my wife. More for relaxation and enjoyment then cardio. I was able to get some updated pics this morning. They were taken first thing this morning so I couldn't have been less pumped...lol. Anyways, I feel if I don't get them taken when I have the chance, the day goes by and it never gets done.

Weight is holding around 184-185.

V-Man
08-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Good job, nice abs.

So you got about 10 weeks to go right.

How's the diet, Hang in there, got a lot of time yet put the effort into it now for payoffs later.

Proud of ya

joedemarco
08-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Good job, nice abs.

So you got about 10 weeks to go right.

How's the diet, Hang in there, got a lot of time yet put the effort into it now for payoffs later.

Proud of ya

Hey V-man...how's it going? Diet is fine...it never bothers me getting ready for a show in regards to dieting. I eat pretty bland and boring year round so I don't go through much in ways of cravings, etc.

Yeah, about 10 weeks left. Just gonna keep plugging away.

Hammerfit
08-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Hey V-man...how's it going? Diet is fine...it never bothers me getting ready for a show in regards to dieting. I eat pretty bland and boring year round so I don't go through much in ways of cravings, etc.

Yeah, about 10 weeks left. Just gonna keep plugging away.

looking great bro!

joedemarco
08-15-2010, 08:54 PM
looking great bro!

Thanks, Hammer. Appreciate the support. I'm about 10 weeks out so I plan on turning it up a notch this week. You must be psyched you're coming up on the home stretch for your contest....anything planned after that contest in a couple of weeks?

Hammerfit
08-16-2010, 06:12 AM
Thanks, Hammer. Appreciate the support. I'm about 10 weeks out so I plan on turning it up a notch this week. You must be psyched you're coming up on the home stretch for your contest....anything planned after that contest in a couple of weeks?

Might do the Southeastern USA Sept 18th in Orlando.....depends on results at State and some sponsorship dollars

KevinCouch
08-16-2010, 10:44 AM

Thanks Joe! You're right. We all have different approaches but our goal is the same thing. To look our best on stage. Diet is the most important thing in conditioning...cardio depending on the person, some need it some don't. I wish I could push the weights around for legs that you are now. I used to do so but my back and knees are so messed up that's why I had to switch my leg workouts dramatically. You look like you should come down nicely and do really well as a welter. I'll be pullin for you at next year's Master Nats!
Kevin

joedemarco
08-16-2010, 07:53 PM
Today was leg day. I was thinking about it all day, as I was planning on having a heavy ass squat workout. I felt really good this morning and was in the mood to pile on some weight this afternoon. Well, I got to the gym, warmed-up, and started squatting. It just wasn't there today. That's the thing with weight training. Some days you want to go heavy and don't have it. Other days, I plan on a moderate weight workout and set personal records. I guess it's something I'll never be able to figure out.

By the time I hit 365 today, I felt like I had a house on my back. I knew I wasn't going to go any heavier. I therefore decided to just kill myself with reps today. I think I did a good job as I was soaked in sweat by the time I was done and I could barely walk out of the place. Please note that I do not cheat on my squats. I sink my ass way down and get a great pump thru my glutes and legs.

Squats: Warm-up sets with 135, 225, 275, and 315. 365 X 12, 365 X 12, 365 x 12, 315 X 15, 315 X 15, 315 x 15

Leg press (cybex squat press): 14 plates X 15, 16 plates X 15, 18 plates X 15, 18 plates X 15, 18 plates X 15

Leg Extensions: 120 x 15 (5 sets)

In a matter of one hour I was toast. Sometimes pushing through days like this with some higher reps will set me up for a heavy squat workout the following week. We'll see what happens.

KevinCouch
08-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Today was leg day. I was thinking about it all day, as I was planning on having a heavy ass squat workout. I felt really good this morning and was in the mood to pile on some weight this afternoon. Well, I got to the gym, warmed-up, and started squatting. It just wasn't there today. That's the thing with weight training. Some days you want to go heavy and don't have it. Other days, I plan on a moderate weight workout and set personal records. I guess it's something I'll never be able to figure out.

By the time I hit 365 today, I felt like I had a house on my back. I knew I wasn't going to go any heavier. I therefore decided to just kill myself with reps today. I think I did a good job as I was soaked in sweat by the time I was done and I could barely walk out of the place. Please note that I do not cheat on my squats. I sink my ass way down and get a great pump thru my glutes and legs.

Squats: Warm-up sets with 135, 225, 275, and 315. 365 X 12, 365 X 12, 365 x 12, 315 X 15, 315 X 15, 315 x 15

Leg press (cybex squat press): 14 plates X 15, 16 plates X 15, 18 plates X 15, 18 plates X 15, 18 plates X 15

Leg Extensions: 120 x 15 (5 sets)

In a matter of one hour I was toast. Sometimes pushing through days like this with some higher reps will set me up for a heavy squat workout the following week. We'll see what happens.

Sounds like one of my kind of workouts...still heavier than I can do. Do you have problems with you lower back and knees? That's my issues. I wish I could still do the heavy leg workouts! I'm thinkin about having cortizone shots in my knees to get me thru the touch leg workouts to come gettin ready for Nationals in October.
Kevin

axioma
08-16-2010, 11:42 PM
Look on/ahead for 10 weeks out. Just keep hammering back and legs. Everything else is right on and will continue to improve hitting those two major areas. haven't seen old pic of you, however I am guessing you can really get that back looking like a mutant turtle shell! I think you will represent VERY well.

joedemarco
08-17-2010, 07:07 AM
Sounds like one of my kind of workouts...still heavier than I can do. Do you have problems with you lower back and knees? That's my issues. I wish I could still do the heavy leg workouts! I'm thinkin about having cortizone shots in my knees to get me thru the touch leg workouts to come gettin ready for Nationals in October.
Kevin

I've been lucky over the years in regards to my knees and back. Never had any problems besides an occasional strain. I use to compete in judo and tore my ACL many years ago. I had it repaired at the time and have not had any trouble since. I would be careful in regards to cortisone shots. In the long term, it may do you more harm than good. Cortisone can cause joint erosion, especially if used on a regular basis.

Look on/ahead for 10 weeks out. Just keep hammering back and legs. Everything else is right on and will continue to improve hitting those two major areas. haven't seen old pic of you, however I am guessing you can really get that back looking like a mutant turtle shell! I think you will represent VERY well.

Thanks, I'm hammering away at all areas (particularly the weak ones). I'm playing around with a few new things this time so we'll see how it goes. I'd like to end up in the low 170's for this contest. Then, depending on how I look, I will either suck down to a welter next year (165) or try to fill out as a middleweight.

joedemarco
08-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Well, I woke up this morning feeling like I was hit by a truck yesterday. I knew right away that leg day was successful yesterday. I know that if I told anyone else that I enjoyed walking around today in pain they would think I'm crazy. However, I can say it here because I know you all enjoy it too...lol.

This afternoon was chest. I hit it pretty hard, quick, and intense. It felt good.

Bench: 275 X 9, 275 x 8, 275 X 8

Incline Bench: 225 X 8, 225 X 8, 225 X 8 drop to 185 X 8 drop to 135 X 8, 225 X 6 drop to 185 X 7 drop to 135 X 8
(The two incline drop sets pretty much smoked me. Didn't have much left after that.)

Flat DB: 90 X 8, 90 X 8, 90 X 7 drop to 70 X 5 drop to 55 X 5, 90 X 6 drop to 70 X 4 drop to 55 X 4

Finished the workout with about 10 minutes of abs. Tomorrow is a scheduled rest day. Will definitely need it.

V-Man
08-18-2010, 09:01 PM
You can always tell when its after leg day. And your floor at home is littered with dirty laundry cause your too sore to bend over and pick it up. And putting on a pair of underwear and pants is torture. lol

joedemarco
08-18-2010, 09:06 PM
You can always tell when its after leg day. And your floor at home is littered with dirty laundry cause your too sore to bend over and pick it up. And putting on a pair of underwear and pants is torture. lol

I always find putting my socks on to be a challenge after a good leg day...lol

axioma
08-19-2010, 03:09 PM
I always fart after a good leg day when putting on socks...I do it in phases...ugg, "fart" the toe phase.....uggh, "fart" over the heels....then I wait...pace myself ...steel the mind and sphincter for shoes!!!!

V-Man
08-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Joe what supplements are you using now. Vito

joedemarco
08-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Had a much needed day off yesterday. I have been training hard and experiencing a lot of overall body pain, especially at night when I try to sleep. Just seemed like everything hurt this week.

Today was back and calves. It was my first back workout in a while where I skipped deadlifts. I just wanted to listen to my body today and skip them. I didn't mind because if I feel O.K. tomorrow, I'll do some heavy stiff legged deads when I hit hamstrings.

Given the way I have been feeling, I decided to just blast back with a variety of pull down movements. I kept the rest time between sets to a minimum. I actually got through back and calves in 60 minutes.

Wide grip chin-ups: (w/45 lb plate) X 8, 45 X 7, 45 X 6, bodyweight X 10

Wide grip pulldowns: 180 X 10, 180 X 10, 180 X 10, 15 breaths, 180 X 8, 15 breaths, 180 X 8

Seat Bodymaster Row (has chest pad): 170 X 10, 190 X 10, 190 X 10 drop to 150 X 8 drop to 120 X 8, 190 X 10 drop to 150 X 8 drop to 120 X 7

Hammer Front pulldowns: 4 plates total X 10, 4 plates X 10, 4 plates X 10 -15 breaths - 4 plates X 7 - 15 breaths - 4 plates X 6, 4 plates X 8 drop to 140 pounds X 8 drop to 90 pounds X 12

Seated Calves: 4 plates X 20 (4 sets)

Standing Calves: 400 X 20 (3 sets)

As you can see, I stayed away today from any back movements that involved the lower back (i.e. deads, bent over rows, one arm db rows, etc). I don't do this type of workout to often but it felt really good and I think my body needed the rest.

I can definitely see that I am getting leaner each week. I noticed a big increase in overall vascularity this week. Will train hams tomorrow and shoulder/arms on Saturday.

joedemarco
08-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Joe what supplements are you using now. Vito

Honestly Vito, I'm doing this contest prep essentially supplement free. I don't even have any whey protein. I guess the only supps would be fish oil and an occasional multi-vitamin.

JoeB8962
08-20-2010, 05:10 PM

Joe, at what point will you switch to full keto? And if you don't mind what's your meal breakdown at that point, protein grams, fat grams, carb grams?

Thanks JoeB

joedemarco
08-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Joe, at what point will you switch to full keto? And if you don't mind what's your meal breakdown at that point, protein grams, fat grams, carb grams?

Thanks JoeB

My current breakdown is approximately 280 grams protein, 75 grams carbs, and 52 grams of fat. Of course this all depends on the type of veggies I eat each day and the type of protein. However, I pretty much use broccoli as my main veggie and ground turkey or chicken breast for protein (except in the places where I noted egg whites).

From the menu I listed, it is slightly different right now. I have a second TBSP of peanut butter, and another whole egg. Therefore, the macronutrient numbers I listed above should be pretty close if Fitday.com is correct...lol.

I am making really good progress at the moment so I'm not changing much. This week was particularly good in regards to increased vascularity and definition. At this point, I am leaving the steel cut oats in my diet. I know they will come out at some point at which point I will go down to the gun shop and purchase some hollow tip bullets....haha.

JoeB8962
08-20-2010, 07:01 PM
My current breakdown is approximately 280 grams protein, 75 grams carbs, and 52 grams of fat. Of course this all depends on the type of veggies I eat each day and the type of protein. However, I pretty much use broccoli as my main veggie and ground turkey or chicken breast for protein (except in the places where I noted egg whites).

From the menu I listed, it is slightly different right now. I have a second TBSP of peanut butter, and another whole egg. Therefore, the macronutrient numbers I listed above should be pretty close if Fitday.com is correct...lol.

I am making really good progress at the moment so I'm not changing much. This week was particularly good in regards to increased vascularity and definition. At this point, I am leaving the steel cut oats in my diet. I know they will come out at some point at which point I will go down to the gun shop and purchase some hollow tip bullets....haha.

I'm laughing with you brother, looks like your on point from your pics.

I'm new to competing and I'm sure all that compete look back at their plan and think what did I do right and what did I do wrong how could I have been better. The last couple of weeks my body was cooking..using the keto diet at 165 lbs..most of the diet I'd keep my protein between 225 and 250g and 50g fat. The last 2 weeks I had to go over 300g Protein and 70g Fat to hold my weight. I was carb refeeding every 3rd day at this point also 150g. Well long story short I held my weight but smoothed out! What do you do at this point?

joedemarco
08-20-2010, 11:10 PM
I'm laughing with you brother, looks like your on point from your pics.

I'm new to competing and I'm sure all that compete look back at their plan and think what did I do right and what did I do wrong how could I have been better. The last couple of weeks my body was cooking..using the keto diet at 165 lbs..most of the diet I'd keep my protein between 225 and 250g and 50g fat. The last 2 weeks I had to go over 300g Protein and 70g Fat to hold my weight. I was carb refeeding every 3rd day at this point also 150g. Well long story short I held my weight but smoothed out! What do you do at this point?

That sounds interesting what happened to you. How much cardio were you doing at the time? How long were you on the keto diet for?

I've never run into a problem like that before. I make very small changes week to week in my plan and try to lose about a pound a week. If I lose more than about 1 1/2 pounds or so I usually back off the cardio (if I'm doing any at the time) or increase my fat intake. I don't usually add in more carbs. However, that's me. As you know, everyone is different.

Are you in the midst of contest prep right now?

joedemarco
08-20-2010, 11:30 PM
Today was hams with some abs. I use it almost as a secondary leg day which focuses more on glutes/hams.

Prone leg curls: 140 x 10, 140 X 10, 140 X 10 drop to 110 x 8 drop to 80 X 12, 140 X 10 drop to 110 X 8 drop to 80 X 12

Stiff legged deads: 315 X 12, 365 X 8 (3 sets), 315 x 12

Cybex squat press (sets performed with one leg): 6 plates X 20, 8 plates X 15, 8 plates X 15, 8 plates X 15, 6 plates X 20
I try to position my leg so that I feel most of the work in my glute/ham region. That is also my area of concentration on each rep.

Standing leg curls: 90 X 15 (3 sets)

Finished with about 10 minutes of abs. Shoulders and arms tomorrow morning. Gonna try to get some progress pics after my workout if wife is in the mood to take them...lol.

Wh1teruss1an
08-21-2010, 12:33 AM
Do you use any spices for your turkey/chicken? or do you just cook them up and eat them plain.

And I just want to commend you on the toughness of your workouts. Seeing you post your everyday workouts blew my mind at the weights you were putting up, it motivated me to up the intensity of my workouts! I've already begun to notice results in strength and size as a result of my new vigor.

JoeB8962
08-21-2010, 06:53 AM
That sounds interesting what happened to you. How much cardio were you doing at the time? How long were you on the keto diet for?

I've never run into a problem like that before. I make very small changes week to week in my plan and try to lose about a pound a week. If I lose more than about 1 1/2 pounds or so I usually back off the cardio (if I'm doing any at the time) or increase my fat intake. I don't usually add in more carbs. However, that's me. As you know, everyone is different.

Are you in the midst of contest prep right now?

I was doing 40-45 min of cardio every day but the last week I cut it out.
Was on the keto diet 16 weeks. Yes, prepping for a show in 7 weeks and not full keto now using around 75g carbs a day. Went up to 172 two days after my last show which was this past Saturday got it back down to 168. My plan is to go keto next week, at the 6 week out mark. I've stepped the cardio back to 45 min every day (with that said I used my weight as my bench mark on cardio if I dropped under 165 I would not do any cardio if I was above 165 I'd do 2 sessions). Like I said I'm new to all this and am learning from trial and error with guys like you to pick their brain maybe I want have as much error.

JoeB

joedemarco
08-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Do you use any spices for your turkey/chicken? or do you just cook them up and eat them plain.

And I just want to commend you on the toughness of your workouts. Seeing you post your everyday workouts blew my mind at the weights you were putting up, it motivated me to up the intensity of my workouts! I've already begun to notice results in strength and size as a result of my new vigor.

I'm big on spicy grey poupon and salsa on pretty much everything. I'm also into a lot of salt and pepper.

In regards to the workout comment, thank you. I try to leave everything in the gym when I workout. When I leave, I like the feeling of knowing I gave 110% and I had nothing left to give. I'm also a big believer that increasing strength leads to an increase in muscle mass. I'm much bigger now that I can bench over 300 pounds then when I was only able to bench 200 pounds. I also know that if I was ever able to bench 400 pounds I'd have to be even bigger.

I'm glad I was able to add a little bit of inspiration to your workouts. Best of luck with your training!

joedemarco
08-21-2010, 05:21 PM
I was doing 40-45 min of cardio every day but the last week I cut it out.
Was on the keto diet 16 weeks. Yes, prepping for a show in 7 weeks and not full keto now using around 75g carbs a day. Went up to 172 two days after my last show which was this past Saturday got it back down to 168. My plan is to go keto next week, at the 6 week out mark. I've stepped the cardio back to 45 min every day (with that said I used my weight as my bench mark on cardio if I dropped under 165 I would not do any cardio if I was above 165 I'd do 2 sessions). Like I said I'm new to all this and am learning from trial and error with guys like you to pick their brain maybe I want have as much error.

JoeB

The best advise I can give you is to not be so concerned about any particular weight. I try to go by my level of conditioning. Where ever I end up weight wise is secondary. I realize that sometimes you have to keep an eye on the scale when it's a matter of making a particular weight class. However, you should try to obtain the best package you can bring (conditioning with size) and if that's at 165 great. If it's at 160, that's O.K. too.

Either way, the important thing is to perform your contest prep so that you bring your weight down slowly so that you are just losing fat, not muscle. Have a plan, stick to it, make small adjustments along the way, and you will have success.

joedemarco
08-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Trained shoulders and arms this morning. Saturday morning workouts have been taking a little longer than usual but have been fun. My 12 year old daughter has been going with me. She plays a lot of sports and loves to workout.

Seated rear delts: several warm-up sets, 120 X 12 (4 sets)

Seated DB presses: couple acclimmation sets, 90 X 6, 90 X 6, 90 X 6, 80 X 10

Single Arm DB laterals: 55 X 10 (3 sets)

DB shrugs: 150's X 15 (4 sets)

Haney Shrugs: 225 X 12 (3 sets)

Hammer Preachers (plate load): 90 X 10, 100 X 8 drop to 75 X 7 drop to 50 X 10, 90 X 8 drop to 75 X 6, drop to 50 X 10

Cable Curls: 155 X 10, 155 X 10 - 5 breaths - 155 X 6 - 5 breaths - 155 X 5, 155 X 8 drop to 125 X 8 drop to 95 X 8

Incline JM DB presses: 40's X 10 (3 sets)

Rope Pushdowns: 155 X 12, 155 X 12 - 5 breaths - 155 X 7 - 5 breaths - 155 X 6, 155 X 12 drop to 135 X 8 drop to 115 X 8 drop to 95 X 6

Arms and shoulders felt destroyed when I left. Looking forward to rest day tomorrow.

joedemarco
08-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Enjoyed my day off from training today. Unfortunately, I didn't get any progress pics. I was going to take some this afternoon outside, but it started to rain.

Weight is about 183. I am happy with how things are going. I plan on throwing in some cardio this week to see what happens. My metabolism is starting to rev up pretty good so probably not to much.

I probably sat down for about 5 minutes today. During that time, I got my one progress pic for the week...my calf....lol...so here it is.

KevinCouch
08-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Enjoyed my day off from training today. Unfortunately, I didn't get any progress pics. I was going to take some this afternoon outside, but it started to rain.

Weight is about 183. I am happy with how things are going. I plan on throwing in some cardio this week to see what happens. My metabolism is starting to rev up pretty good so probably not to much.

I probably sat down for about 5 minutes today. During that time, I got my one progress pic for the week...my calf....lol...so here it is.

When is your contest? How many weeks out are you now?
Kevin

joedemarco
08-23-2010, 04:21 PM
When is your contest? How many weeks out are you now?
Kevin

Hey Kevin. I'm 9 weeks out. The good thing about doing a regional show is that there is no welterweight class. Therefore, I don't have to sweat over my weight. I know I won't be a lightweight (154) so my only choice is to do middleweight. Whether I end up at 165, 170 or 175...I'm still in the middles. I figure I'll see what weight I end up and how conditioned I get. I'll use this information for next year to help me decide whether I should be a welter or middle at a national level show.

KevinCouch
08-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Hey Kevin. I'm 9 weeks out. The good thing about doing a regional show is that there is no welterweight class. Therefore, I don't have to sweat over my weight. I know I won't be a lightweight (154) so my only choice is to do middleweight. Whether I end up at 165, 170 or 175...I'm still in the middles. I figure I'll see what weight I end up and how conditioned I get. I'll use this information for next year to help me decide whether I should be a welter or middle at a national level show.

You're qualified back in 2007 for the national level shows right? How long does your qualification last? Do you have to requalify? Maybe the Master Nationals next year again for you as a welter or middle? Place top 5 and automatically qualify again for any national level show. I leaning on moving up a weight class myself for the Nats in Atlanta...might be a mistake but I had a really hard time gettin down to 165 in July and I've filled out a lot since then and weigh 178 and very lean, hard and vascular. I still have 7 1/2 weeks to go so I'm gonna just keep pluggin away and when it's time to begin to dial it in I'll see where I come it at. Like you I'm barely 5 5 so I could go either welter or middle so we're the right heght I just don't want to sacrifice too much muscle to get down to welters even I probably would have a better shot at 1st callout since the middles are so huge at the Nationals....I'm postin pics on Sunday at 7 weeks and if you could take a look at them and let me know what you think...I'll also give you my weight.
Thanks.
Kevin
Kevin

joedemarco
08-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Been having some massive computer trouble last couple of days so I haven't been able to get online much to post my workouts. My laptop crashed but luckily I had my files backed up. I am picking up a new laptop this week.

Just to catch up, I trained legs yesterday and chest this morning. I actually did 30 minutes on the bike this morning...:hypno:. Besides a Sunday walk with my wife, it was my first cardio session since preparing for Team Universe last September. (And NO, I did not enjoy it.)

Tomorrow (Wednesday) is off. I will be hitting back and calves on Thursday.

joedemarco
08-25-2010, 10:34 AM
You're qualified back in 2007 for the national level shows right? How long does your qualification last? Do you have to requalify? Maybe the Master Nationals next year again for you as a welter or middle? Place top 5 and automatically qualify again for any national level show. I leaning on moving up a weight class myself for the Nats in Atlanta...might be a mistake but I had a really hard time gettin down to 165 in July and I've filled out a lot since then and weigh 178 and very lean, hard and vascular. I still have 7 1/2 weeks to go so I'm gonna just keep pluggin away and when it's time to begin to dial it in I'll see where I come it at. Like you I'm barely 5 5 so I could go either welter or middle so we're the right heght I just don't want to sacrifice too much muscle to get down to welters even I probably would have a better shot at 1st callout since the middles are so huge at the Nationals....I'm postin pics on Sunday at 7 weeks and if you could take a look at them and let me know what you think...I'll also give you my weight.
Thanks.
Kevin
Kevin

I'll get some progress pics up this weekend too. I'd appreciate some feedback also. Thanks, Kevin.

KevinCouch
08-25-2010, 06:24 PM
I'll get some progress pics up this weekend too. I'd appreciate some feedback also. Thanks, Kevin.

We'll do.

joedemarco
08-26-2010, 05:20 PM
This morning was back and calves. I'm nursing a little bit of a sore right shoulder. It didn't really effect my training today, other then it took a little longer to warm up.

Deads: 425 X 8, 425 X 7, 425 X 7

Wide grip pulldowns: 180 X 10 (5 sets)

Hammer Low Row (plate loaded): 240 X 8, 240 X 8, 240 X 8 drop to 190 X 8 drop to 140 X 8 (did two sets like this)

Hammer Front Pulldowns (plate loaded): 240 X 10 drop to 190 X 8 drop to 140 X 6 drop to 90 X 10 (2 sets)

Cable Straight up pulldowns: 145 X 12 (3 sets)

Hypers: 45 X 15 (3 sets) (I row with the plate as I perform the hyper. I feel like I get a great contraction when I do these two movements together)

Standing Calves: 450 X 15, 540 X 12, 540 X 12, drop to 450 X 12 drop to 300 X 15 drop to 210 X 15 (did three drop sets)

Really starting to notice a difference in my body over the past couple of weeks. Will definitely get some pics up this weekend. Tomorrow is hams and misc.

joedemarco
08-27-2010, 12:12 PM
This morning was my secondary leg day focusing on hams/glutes.

Prone leg curls: 140 X 12, 140 X 12, 140 X 12 drop to 110 X 8 drop to 80 X 10 (did 3 drop sets)

Smith Lunges (Do all reps on one leg and then switch): 4 plates X 12 (4 sets on each leg)

Stiff legged deads: 315 X 10 (3 sets)

Followed this by about 10 minutes of abs. Tomorrow is shoulders/arms.

KevinCouch
08-27-2010, 05:17 PM
This morning was my secondary leg day focusing on hams/glutes.

Prone leg curls: 140 X 12, 140 X 12, 140 X 12 drop to 110 X 8 drop to 80 X 10 (did 3 drop sets)

Smith Lunges (Do all reps on one leg and then switch): 4 plates X 12 (4 sets on each leg)

Stiff legged deads: 315 X 10 (3 sets)

Followed this by about 10 minutes of abs. Tomorrow is shoulders/arms.

I'm might incorporate trainin quads on one day and glutes/hams on the another maybe 3 days apart. Looks like a good idea especially when you're trying to hit your lower body from every angle before while prepping for a show. I used to do this along time ago but I wasn't sure if my knees would hold up. Right now, my knees are really sore for 3 or 4 days after leg day don't know if it would aggrevate them more if I started doin lunging movements for glutes and hams 3 days after a hard quad workout. I'm goin to try it startin next week. Since I do little or no cardio anyway it's a good way to add the detail in my lower body without cardio..Talked myself right into it. Post some pics Joe and let's take a look!!
Kevin

joedemarco
08-27-2010, 07:53 PM
I'm might incorporate trainin quads on one day and glutes/hams on the another maybe 3 days apart. Looks like a good idea especially when you're trying to hit your lower body from every angle before while prepping for a show. I used to do this along time ago but I wasn't sure if my knees would hold up. Right now, my knees are really sore for 3 or 4 days after leg day don't know if it would aggrevate them more if I started doin lunging movements for glutes and hams 3 days after a hard quad workout. I'm goin to try it startin next week. Since I do little or no cardio anyway it's a good way to add the detail in my lower body without cardio..Talked myself right into it. Post some pics Joe and let's take a look!!
Kevin

Yeah, I like getting in the extra leg work. Plus I never feel like I can get everything in that I want to do in only one leg workout.

I'll definitely be getting some pics up this weekend. I'm actually hoping I can get some taken after my morning workout tomorrow. Any feedback will be much appreciated.

joedemarco
08-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Did shoulders and arms yesterday. Had a good workout. Didn't go to crazy heavy because I'm nursing a little bit of a sore right shoulder. I stuck to mostly 8-10 on most exercises.

Got some progress pics this morning. I was almost going to actually break out the posing trunks because I'm about 8 weeks out. However, just wasn't shaved up appropriately so I passed...lol.

I was at 181-182 the past two days. Overall, I'm happy with my progress. I'm doing a lot of experimenting for this show. Some stuff seems to be working, some not. Like I've mentioned before, this show in October is more for learning to help me in 2011. It will also help me decide whether to compete next year as a middle or welter.

Here's a few pics. All comments, good or bad, are welcomed. I take all the feedback that I get from you guys very seriously because I know you all have a "good eye" for evaluating physiques.

KevinCouch
08-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Joe,
From the last pics I saw a few weeks ago you've really hardened up and kept your body weight the same hard to do. You can really start seeing your muscle shape fall in to place now. Your quads and calves are really comin in now abs even better you had abs before but there more visible with with your lower body fat level. Back looks thick from rear lat spread but with no rear double bi can't tell how detail is comin in there. Arms lookin bigger need to etch in separation some more (you still have 7 weeks to go) Chest looks thicker....overall Joe it looks like you are progressing very well. If you're 181 or so right now and are 7 weeks out you should pick up the pace on your bodyfat reduction you may need to begin losing fat at a faster pace to come in to your show 100% (just my opinion) Judging from what I see you have improved dramatically in your size and fullness and are harder than the last pics now it's time to bring the bodyfat levels lower to see what you've worked so hard for! Good job.
I have to post pics tomorrow. Be brutally honest with me....
Kevin

v1hyp
08-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Looks good. Your retail is coming in very well. Keep it up!

joedemarco
08-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Joe,
From the last pics I saw a few weeks ago you've really hardened up and kept your body weight the same hard to do. You can really start seeing your muscle shape fall in to place now. Your quads and calves are really comin in now abs even better you had abs before but there more visible with with your lower body fat level. Back looks thick from rear lat spread but with no rear double bi can't tell how detail is comin in there. Arms lookin bigger need to etch in separation some more (you still have 7 weeks to go) Chest looks thicker....overall Joe it looks like you are progressing very well. If you're 181 or so right now and are 7 weeks out you should pick up the pace on your bodyfat reduction you may need to begin losing fat at a faster pace to come in to your show 100% (just my opinion) Judging from what I see you have improved dramatically in your size and fullness and are harder than the last pics now it's time to bring the bodyfat levels lower to see what you've worked so hard for! Good job.
I have to post pics tomorrow. Be brutally honest with me....
Kevin

Thanks for the feedback Kevin. I'm actually 8 weeks out, but I absolutely agree that the body fat has to be reduced more aggressively at this point. I did hit cardio a bit this past week and will start getting more aggressive with it this week. I will also be making some small dietary changes this week as well.

Looking forward to seeing some pics tomorrow. Hope all is going well with your training!

joedemarco
08-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Looks good. Your retail is coming in very well. Keep it up!

Thanks! Just have to keep plugging away until show time.

Mac
08-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Looking good Joe. Lines are coming in nicely.

KevinCouch
08-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback Kevin. I'm actually 8 weeks out, but I absolutely agree that the body fat has to be reduced more aggressively at this point. I did hit cardio a bit this past week and will start getting more aggressive with it this week. I will also be making some small dietary changes this week as well.

Looking forward to seeing some pics tomorrow. Hope all is going well with your training!

Training last week was great whiile I was in AZ on vacation but diet wasn't spot on..did the best I could. I'm a little worried about what George is gonna say when I send him pics tomorrow. We'll see.
BTW, you've put on a ton of muscle since 07 when you won the Masters!
kevin

joedemarco
08-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Training last week was great whiile I was in AZ on vacation but diet wasn't spot on..did the best I could. I'm a little worried about what George is gonna say when I send him pics tomorrow. We'll see.
BTW, you've put on a ton of muscle since 07 when you won the Masters!
kevin

I was actually on a 100% vegan diet when I won Masters Nationals in 2007. I hadn't had meat, dairy or any animal product. On my vegan diet, my off season weight never really went much over 165.

When I went off the vegan diet in preparation for the 2009 Team U, I had a very difficult time getting down to 154. I easily could have stepped on stage at 160-162 pounds but decided to suck down to 154.

Now another year has gone by and I was able to get my off season weight up to 192 and hoping to step onstage in October at around 172 or so.

V-Man
08-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Looking real good. I don't know much but your keeping your muscle and the cuts are coming in from what my amateur eye sees.

Hang in there.

joedemarco
08-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Looking good Joe. Lines are coming in nicely.

Looking real good. I don't know much but your keeping your muscle and the cuts are coming in from what my amateur eye sees.

Hang in there.

Thanks guys!

axioma
08-29-2010, 09:16 PM
ok, overall great! great thickness, definately have what it takes to move up the category. eval: keep banging the shoulders and arms. also, I can't tell how the hams look. I would suggest finishing with some lighter weight squats or lunges and work the attachments higher up the thigh. You are super thick and developed around the knee, looking at old photos you always have been, however how are the tie-ins around the attachments and flexors? Just to give the physique a longer, taller look, make sense? Just my .02. You seem to be ahead of the game for 8 weeks, great seperation and abs look great. Hope this helped.

joedemarco
08-29-2010, 10:05 PM
ok, overall great! great thickness, definately have what it takes to move up the category. eval: keep banging the shoulders and arms. also, I can't tell how the hams look. I would suggest finishing with some lighter weight squats or lunges and work the attachments higher up the thigh. You are super thick and developed around the knee, looking at old photos you always have been, however how are the tie-ins around the attachments and flexors? Just to give the physique a longer, taller look, make sense? Just my .02. You seem to be ahead of the game for 8 weeks, great seperation and abs look great. Hope this helped.

Thanks for the input and advice, Ax. I'm actually hitting legs in the morning. I'll be taking you up on your suggestion and bang out some lighter squats at some point in my workout. I might either finish up the workout with them or do that after my set of heavy squats.

joedemarco
08-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Legs today. I worked them a little different this morning. I decided to pre-exhaust my quads prior to squatting.

Leg Extension: 8 total working sets.

Squats: The leg extensions really affected my squatting but it was a great pump. I worked up to 365 for 5 sets of 10. I then dropped the weight to 315 for 15, and 225 for two sets of 25 reps.

Hack squats: 6 plates for 3 sets of 12.

Legs were beat. Chest tomorrow.

axioma
08-31-2010, 08:39 AM
Nice! Had to get some serious glute recruitment with the preexhaust.

joedemarco
08-31-2010, 11:00 AM
Nice! Had to get some serious glute recruitment with the preexhaust.

Definitely! And the last two lighter sets of squats for reps were per your idea (and believe me I was cursing you the whole time..lol).

joedemarco
08-31-2010, 03:21 PM
Today was chest. I usually have a game plan for my workouts each day. However, I also try to be flexible in regards to how I feel once I get into the gym. If I'm feeling good and getting a good pump on an exercise (especially a good basic exercise) I just go with it. Today was one of those days. I started benching today and felt great so I ended up banging out a lot of sets.

Bench: Several warm-ups, 315 X 5, 315 X 5, 315 X 4, 275 X 8, 275 X 8, 255 X 10, 255 X 9

Flat DB: 85's X 12, 85 X 12, 85 X 11

That was all that I needed today. I felt great, chest was pumped to the max, and pecs definitely got stimulated for growth.

I noticed my legs were pretty sore this morning (which always makes me feel good...lol). I have a feeling my chest is going to feel the same way tomorrow.

Wednesday will be a rest day.

KevinCouch
08-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Today was chest. I usually have a game plan for my workouts each day. However, I also try to be flexible in regards to how I feel once I get into the gym. If I'm feeling good and getting a good pump on an exercise (especially a good basic exercise) I just go with it. Today was one of those days. I started benching today and felt great so I ended up banging out a lot of sets.

Bench: Several warm-ups, 315 X 5, 315 X 5, 315 X 4, 275 X 8, 275 X 8, 255 X 10, 255 X 9

Flat DB: 85's X 12, 85 X 12, 85 X 11

That was all that I needed today. I felt great, chest was pumped to the max, and pecs definitely got stimulated for growth.

I noticed my legs were pretty sore this morning (which always makes me feel good...lol). I have a feeling my chest is going to feel the same way tomorrow.

Wednesday will be a rest day.

Damn Joe you are one strong guy! 315 for sets of 5s. Precontest dieting and you're pusin that kind of weight at 180 pounds...we're about the same size...impressive! Keep it up Bro!

joedemarco
08-31-2010, 07:11 PM
Damn Joe you are one strong guy! 315 for sets of 5s. Precontest dieting and you're pusin that kind of weight at 180 pounds...we're about the same size...impressive! Keep it up Bro!

Thanks, Kevin. I'm just lucky...good genetics for the power movements. I've just always been able to move weight. Being only 5'4" and pretty compact helps with most power movements. I try to do all I can to maintain strength when I diet, however I almost always start losing strength when I get to about 4-5 weeks out. I think it's just inevitable.

joedemarco
09-01-2010, 10:00 PM
In the "just figures" category: It's the end of the summer and the hot weather decided to return to Boston. It's been 90 plus degrees all week. I think it hit something like 95 yesterday. Of course my central air conditioning decides to shit the bed two days ago so my house is like a steam bath. The guy can't get down here to fix it until Friday, at which time it's suppose to drop into the 70's

On a good note, I enjoyed my recovery day from the gym today. I plan on killing back tomorrow morning. Can't wait.

joedemarco
09-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Did back and calves this morning. I felt fucking great! I was somewhat surprised because I did a real low calorie day yesterday.

I decided to work my deads a little differently this morning. I used the hexagon shaped bar that you stand inside of. I'm sure most of you have seen it. It actually makes the deads a little easier because you can use a little more leg power. I weighed the bar before starting and it was 48 pounds. That will explain the odd weights below.

After several warm-up sets.....458 X 6, 498 X 3, 498 X 3, 458 X 6, 408 X 10

My back was totally pumped from my traps down to my erectors after the above sets.

wide grip pulldowns: 190 X 10 (5 sets)

close grip pulldowns: 170 X 10 (5 sets)....did these with a 1-2 second pause on the contraction and then a very slow negative.

Standing calves: 450 X 15, 570 X 12, 620 X 10 (3 sets), 570 X 10

Tomorrow is leg day #2 focusing on glute/hams. Weight this morning was 182 but dropped to 180.5 by end of workout from all the sweating. There's no frigging AC in the gym...it adds to the hard core atmosphere...lol.....you sweat like crazy.

Baldiewonkanobi
09-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Whats the elevation of your home and gym? If Earl brings a 13' storm surge things could get WET :hypno:

Be safe. My bro in law is with the Prov Street Dept and they are concerned.

I will be in Prov from 10-8 thru 10-14. I train there at a Golds.

Baldie

Baldiewonkanobi
09-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Downgraded to a 2' surge. Not even good enough to surf....:mad:

Baldie

joedemarco
09-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Downgraded to a 2' surge. Not even good enough to surf....:mad:

Baldie

Yeah, the south shore of Boston, cape cod, and the islands are suppose to get the worst of it. I'm up on the north shore, so it is just suppose to be windy and rainy...but we will see. The rain isn't usually a problem, but the wind is always dangerous with the big trees around my house.

I'm just pysched that starting tomorrow this friggin heat is suppose to break! It's 93 and humid here today. Nasty weather when your central AC is down...lol.

joedemarco
09-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Leg day this morning focusing on glute/hams. Felt great. I'm really starting to notice my skin tightening up and lots of veins! I'll be 7 weeks out as of tomorrow and feel I'm on a pretty good pace.

Leg presses (I position my feet to get the most out of my glute/ham region): Several warm-ups, 18 plates X 15, 20 plates X 12, 22 plates X 10 (3 sets)

Smith Lunges: I do my sets one leg at a time. I basically keep all of the weight and pressure on one leg, step back, touch my toe to the ground and come up. It's a killer on the glutes.

4 plates X 10 for 4 sets each leg

Prone leg curls: 120 X 12, followed by 3 drop sets

Tomorrow is shoulders and arms. I will also try to get some progress pics up tomorrow if I survive hurricane Earl later today and no trees fall on my house...lol.

KevinCouch
09-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Leg day this morning focusing on glute/hams. Felt great. I'm really starting to notice my skin tightening up and lots of veins! I'll be 7 weeks out as of tomorrow and feel I'm on a pretty good pace.

Leg presses (I position my feet to get the most out of my glute/ham region): Several warm-ups, 18 plates X 15, 20 plates X 12, 22 plates X 10 (3 sets)

Smith Lunges: I do my sets one leg at a time. I basically keep all of the weight and pressure on one leg, step back, touch my toe to the ground and come up. It's a killer on the glutes.

4 plates X 10 for 4 sets each leg

Prone leg curls: 120 X 12, followed by 3 drop sets

Tomorrow is shoulders and arms. I will also try to get some progress pics up tomorrow if I survive hurricane Earl later today and no trees fall on my house...lol.

Looking forward to seeing this week's progress pics of you Joe. I'll post some on Sunday. Like you, I still haven't lost any bodyweight but tightening up. Let me know what you think when I post them..ok? Thanks Joe!

joedemarco
09-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Looking forward to seeing this week's progress pics of you Joe. I'll post some on Sunday. Like you, I still haven't lost any bodyweight but tightening up. Let me know what you think when I post them..ok? Thanks Joe!

I'll look forward to seeing some progress pics and offering my opinion.

I know I will be dropping some body weight soon because I've really picked up the pace this week. I've made some cuts in my nutrition program (I think this is the first week where I'm really starting to notice the lack of food...lol), added a couple of cardio sessions, and just training my ass off. I will be surprised if I'm not down to 180 by this weekend.

KevinCouch
09-03-2010, 12:07 PM
I'll look forward to seeing some progress pics and offering my opinion.

I know I will be dropping some body weight soon because I've really picked up the pace this week. I've made some cuts in my nutrition program (I think this is the first week where I'm really starting to notice the lack of food...lol), added a couple of cardio sessions, and just training my ass off. I will be surprised if I'm not down to 180 by this weekend.

You doin your cardio first thing in the AM on an empty stomach?

joedemarco
09-03-2010, 12:13 PM
You doin your cardio first thing in the AM on an empty stomach?

Not yet. I did a couple of cardio sessions this week post workout. Just trying to get a little extra metabolism stimulation. In the past, I've been a huge cardio guy when prepping for a contest. By 7 weeks out, I'd probably be up to double sessions at about 30-45 min per session. However, I'm experimenting with less cardio this prep. Hopefully, I won't fuck things up...lol.

KevinCouch
09-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Not yet. I did a couple of cardio sessions this week post workout. Just trying to get a little extra metabolism stimulation. In the past, I've been a huge cardio guy when prepping for a contest. By 7 weeks out, I'd probably be up to double sessions at about 30-45 min per session. However, I'm experimenting with less cardio this prep. Hopefully, I won't fuck things up...lol.

I do as little as I need to. I'm going to give it 1 more week monitor my bodyfat and weight and the mirror and decide whether I'm gonna start cardio. I'll start with 20-30 minutes on Treadmill walking up hill gettin hr to at least 135-140 maybe 4 times first week. Then reevaluate each week as to how much to do or none at all. I tend to flatten out when I do cardio I rather go in as full as possible with my conditioning spot on.
Kevin

Mac
09-03-2010, 07:25 PM

I find that if I do cardio all the time the fat loss effect goes away. Toss in some cardio 6-8 weeks out and it melts off much quicker.

Too much cardio and I feel like I am burning muscle and feeding the cardio machine. I am trying to lower fat at first by diet alone.

KevinCouch
09-03-2010, 08:14 PM
I find that if I do cardio all the time the fat loss effect goes away. Toss in some cardio 6-8 weeks out and it melts off much quicker.

Too much cardio and I feel like I am burning muscle and feeding the cardio machine. I am trying to lower fat at first by diet alone.

Agreed! If you can continue to lose bodyfat without cardio and your on schedule no reason for it. Just do 20 minutes of abs nonstop 3 to 4 days per week get your cardio in that way while developing your abs.

joedemarco
09-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Hit shoulders and arms this morning. I'm still nursing a sore right shoulder, however it is much improved over the past week. I still was careful with it today so that I wouldn't have any set backs.

Cable criss crosses: 55 X 12 (4 sets)

Seat DB shoulder presses: 80 X 10 (3 sets), 70 X 12 (2 sets)

BB shrugs: I supersetted these with front plate raises. After each set, I performed a set of 15 reps with a 45 pound plate):

355 X 15, 445 X 12, 535 X 10 (3 sets)

Hammer Preacher curls (plate loaded): Performed 3 rest/pause sets with 90 pounds on machine. I used 5 deep breaths as my pauses.

Alt. standing DB curls: 60 X 8 (3 sets)

Incline DB JM presses: 45 X 10, 45 X 10 drop to 35 X 8 (3 sets)

Finished workout with about 15 minutes of various ab movements.

Grabbed some progress pics when I got home. I was 181 this morning naked prior to eating. I'm gonna do a carb up today because I was very calorie restrictive this week and know I could use it.

I actually broke out the trunks this morning...even though I don't usually like posing in them at this far out (7 weeks) but I figured what the hell...lol.

KevinCouch
09-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Joe, Wow man you've been able to sustain your bodyweight and continue to harden up. Your ab/obliques are really comin in. Your entire physique is very symmetrical and balanced now that you are droppin the bodyfat you can see your muscle definition start to come in all over. Looks like you're right on track my friend! 7 Weeks Out!! You should be dialed in perfectly.
Keep doin what you've been doin!
Kevin

V-Man
09-04-2010, 09:17 PM
"What the hell" I agree I'm speechless.

Damn you look great. Keep it up. A lot of time yet.

joedemarco
09-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Joe, Wow man you've been able to sustain your bodyweight and continue to harden up. Your ab/obliques are really comin in. Your entire physique is very symmetrical and balanced now that you are droppin the bodyfat you can see your muscle definition start to come in all over. Looks like you're right on track my friend! 7 Weeks Out!! You should be dialed in perfectly.
Keep doin what you've been doin!
Kevin

"What the hell" I agree I'm speechless.

Damn you look great. Keep it up. A lot of time yet.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback. I am feeling really good, both mentally and physically. I feel like I still have plenty of time to dial it all in. I really feel that if I can continue to improve my conditioning, I will do well come October. At my height (5'4"), I feel that I will look pretty thick next to most of the competitors in the middleweight class. I will then have the rest of this year and the first half of next year to continue to fill out as a middleweight. Not exactly what show(s) I will do in 2011, but I'm considering Masters Nationals, North Americans, and Nationals.

joedemarco
09-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Trained legs early this morning. I always get some idea stuck in my head leading into each leg workout as to what I want to do. For this leg workout, all I kept thinking about the past couple of days, was performing super deep, ass to heel, squat movements. SO, that was the theme for the morning...lol.

Being the morning, I took my time warming up squats. I went up slowly on each set, until I reached a good working weight. I wanted to find a weight that I knew I could sink super deep and touch my ass down to my heels. I found that to be 405. I then performed 405 for 3 sets of 6 reps.

I then dropped to weight to 315 and used a Top Squat device. I know most of you have seen this, I'm just not sure if I know how to explain what it is. It's a pad that clips onto the bar. Once clipped on, it has two long metal arms that stick out in front of you. Once you get under the bar (and pad), you can hold onto the two long metal arms. It really allows you to keep your torso more upright during your squats. It's pretty cool. I banged out three sets of 10 reps with the 315. Once again, I made sure the ass was way down. These were pretty painful sets. The owner of the gym, Dave Nock, a former marine and cop, was behind me on all 3 sets yelling at me until I got to 10. I easily could have stopped at 8 on each set.

Hack squats were next. My gym just got a hack squat machine last week. Therefore, it's been fun banging out hack squats the past two leg workouts. I really enjoy hack squats and have been lucky that I don't have any trouble with my knees when I perform them. I like to really take these super deep. I got 10 reps with 6 plates and then 8 plates. I went up to 10 plates for a set of 8 and then went back down to 8 and 6 plates for two final sets.

At this point, I was walking pretty funny. My legs were toast. I managed to finish my workout with 5 sets of leg extensions. I made sure that I used up every ounce of remaining energy on each set...partials, slow negatives, etc.

I really left it all at the gym this morning. It really was a good leg workout. I don't think I could have pushed it any harder.

Chest tomorrow in the A.M.

Hammerfit
09-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Trained legs early this morning. I always get some idea stuck in my head leading into each leg workout as to what I want to do. For this leg workout, all I kept thinking about the past couple of days, was performing super deep, ass to heel, squat movements. SO, that was the theme for the morning...lol.

Being the morning, I took my time warming up squats. I went up slowly on each set, until I reached a good working weight. I wanted to find a weight that I knew I could sink super deep and touch my ass down to my heels. I found that to be 405. I then performed 405 for 3 sets of 6 reps.

I then dropped to weight to 315 and used a Top Squat device. I know most of you have seen this, I'm just not sure if I know how to explain what it is. It's a pad that clips onto the bar. Once clipped on, it has two long metal arms that stick out in front of you. Once you get under the bar (and pad), you can hold onto the two long metal arms. It really allows you to keep your torso more upright during your squats. It's pretty cool. I banged out three sets of 10 reps with the 315. Once again, I made sure the ass was way down. These were pretty painful sets. The owner of the gym, Dave Nock, a former marine and cop, was behind me on all 3 sets yelling at me until I got to 10. I easily could have stopped at 8 on each set.

Hack squats were next. My gym just got a hack squat machine last week. Therefore, it's been fun banging out hack squats the past two leg workouts. I really enjoy hack squats and have been lucky that I don't have any trouble with my knees when I perform them. I like to really take these super deep. I got 10 reps with 6 plates and then 8 plates. I went up to 10 plates for a set of 8 and then went back down to 8 and 6 plates for two final sets.

At this point, I was walking pretty funny. My legs were toast. I managed to finish my workout with 5 sets of leg extensions. I made sure that I used up every ounce of remaining energy on each set...partials, slow negatives, etc.

I really left it all at the gym this morning. It really was a good leg workout. I don't think I could have pushed it any harder.

Chest tomorrow in the A.M.

Great leg day Joe! Where can I get a top squat device? I have been looking at safety bars which sounds like the same thing I started putting my hands in the holes of the plates which spread your upper body out more, which feels more comfortable. But it's a bit scary, since you have to let go of the bar to get your hands placed. 405 out of the hole, thats bad ass my friend, I do them that way too now, but I really had to back off the weight, 4-5 count negatives.

joedemarco
09-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Great leg day Joe! Where can I get a top squat device? I have been looking at safety bars which sounds like the same thing I started putting my hands in the holes of the plates which spread your upper body out more, which feels more comfortable. But it's a bit scary, since you have to let go of the bar to get your hands placed. 405 out of the hole, thats bad ass my friend, I do them that way too now, but I really had to back off the weight, 4-5 count negatives.

I noticed that davedraper.com carries it. He sells it for $179.00. Maybe there is another company out there that sells it for less?

axioma
09-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Amazing transformation from photo set to photo set. Abs are text book. All other areas are coming up, lots of room to carb/grow with your level of conditioning this far out!

Mac
09-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Good progress Joe. The abs shot with your arms overhead looks painful.

joedemarco
09-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Amazing transformation from photo set to photo set. Abs are text book. All other areas are coming up, lots of room to carb/grow with your level of conditioning this far out!

Thanks, Ax. I feel that everything is pretty much on track. I made a few more dietary changes this week in order to try to kick my conditioning up a level. We'll see what happens. The fun is definitely over...I'm pretty f--king hungry every day now....lol.

Good progress Joe. The abs shot with your arms overhead looks painful.

LMAO...yeah, my wife took the picture just as I was kind of grunting my air out.....it does look funny...lol.

joedemarco
09-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Didn't have time to post Tuesday's workout (chest). Wednesday was an off day and this morning was back/calves.

I have been straight out with opening a new chiropractic office. My office should be open for business in about two weeks. Kind of sucks trying to open this new office while dieting/training for a show. It hasn't been fun, to say the least.

I will try to post some updated progress pics this weekend. All is well with training, however I've made enough cuts in my nutrition program where I'm no longer enjoying it...lol. I'm f--king hungry!

Scoobysnacks
09-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Nice work, since our diets are somewhat similar what is your carb up, refeed.

I think you are sitting good for 7 weeks, but dont let up at all. Right where you need to be.

Ss

joedemarco
09-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Nice work, since our diets are somewhat similar what is your carb up, refeed.

I think you are sitting good for 7 weeks, but dont let up at all. Right where you need to be.

Ss

For the past week, I've been full Keto. I got rid of the 1/2 cup oats in the morning at that time.

I've been using Saturdays as a refeed. Doing about 400-600 grams of carbs in the earlier part of the day and then a cheat meal Saturday night.

Scoobysnacks
09-09-2010, 03:10 PM
For the past week, I've been full Keto. I got rid of the 1/2 cup oats in the morning at that time.

I've been using Saturdays as a refeed. Doing about 400-600 grams of carbs in the earlier part of the day and then a cheat meal Saturday night.

Yeah Im full keto too, low fat mainly too, about 30 grams unless I need more, but I dont believe in restricting fibrous carbs on keto, protein about 270 though. I refeed large on Fridays about 1000 grams then usually need one by Tues or Weds about 600 grams, all other days are 270, trace carbs, 30 fats. Ill increase fats once I hit a new low for the week.

Keep plugging.

Ss

freebirdmac
09-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Wow! You look great at 7 weeks out. Thigh veins already must be a very good sign :)

joedemarco
09-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Wow! You look great at 7 weeks out. Thigh veins already must be a very good sign :)

Thank you. I hope to get some updated pics tomorrow. I'm starting to enter that "unpleasant" phase of contest prep...the final 6 weeks....lol.

KevinCouch
09-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Joe,
Let's see some pix bro! 6 weeks out! You're gonna kick some ass!
Kevin

joedemarco
09-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Joe,
Let's see some pix bro! 6 weeks out! You're gonna kick some ass!
Kevin

Yeah, it was one of those weekends that came and went without ever having a chance to get some updated pics. It's just been a little crazy around here with family, work, training, etc....I'll definitely get some new pics up soon.

joedemarco
09-15-2010, 08:46 AM
I'm 5.5 weeks out as of today. I have had a difficult time dropping my weight much below 180. I therefore went high protein, no carbs, and no added fat sources on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. I had my weight down to 178 this morning. I'm using today as a minor refeed as I will add in some fat and some carbs. For example, for my first meal, I had a 1/2 cup oats with a TBSP of PB with my egg whites. I will also add in a carb source with my mid day meal. I will see how things look in the morning and see where my weight is at. If all is well, I will do a bigger carb refeed on Saturday (as usual).

I'm noticing a lot more separation and vascularity through out all areas. I'm working on a strategy for the day of the show. For the past 3 years I have competed nationally where weigh-ins were on Thursday and prejudging on Friday. Normally, I would just make weight on Thursday and then carb up after weigh-in. At regional shows the weigh in, prejudging, and finals all happen on one day. I therefore have to figure out how I'm going to do that. I am thinking of trying to get my weight down to about 172-173 on the Thursday or Friday before the show and then carb up to 176 for the weigh-in/prejudging Saturday morning. I'll see how things are going in the next few weeks before I decide.

All in all, I am happy with how things are going. I wasn't sure when this all started what weight class I would compete at in 2011. However, I can see that I will be a middleweight next year. I figure I will be pretty tight at 176 next month. I then have another 9 months of training ahead of me to really fill out my frame at that weight. Should be fun.

DUKE56
09-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Just a question if you don't mind. When you carb up after weigh-in what do you normally eat ?

Baldiewonkanobi
09-15-2010, 11:51 AM
Joe we gonna meet up sometime between Oct 5-15 when I am in Prov.??

Baldie

joedemarco
09-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Just a question if you don't mind. When you carb up after weigh-in what do you normally eat ?

Last September, after weigh ins, I carbed up mostly with sweet potatoes and oatmeal with PB. Seemed to work well. Pretty much every three hours from weigh ins on Thursday afternoon until prejudging on Friday night, I ate carbs.

joedemarco
09-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Joe we gonna meet up sometime between Oct 5-15 when I am in Prov.??

Baldie

It would be an honor Baldie. I only wish it wasn't so close to my show because I'll probably be a f--king hungry carb depleted idiot. We can either meet somewhere in between Boston and Providence or if you have time you can come up this way so that we can train at my awesome hard core gym. I think you would really appreciate the place. Just let me know. I'll PM you my cell as the time gets closer.

joedemarco
09-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Well, I'm starting to notice a lousy trend in the workouts over the past week or more. Loss of strength. It has to be a combination of two things. First, I'm up at 4 a.m. every morning and training by 4:30. That way I can be home before the kids leave for school and then get to work. I'm not a big fan of early morning training. I only do it out of necessity.

Two, I'm training on no carbs and just low on general calories. It sucks..lol.

Today was back. It didn't start out to bad. I performed several sets of wide grip pulldowns. Worked up to 3 sets of 190 X 10.

Deadlifts sucked this morning. I knew it was going to be a bad day as I was going through my acclimation weights. 315 didn't feel bad but when I hit 365 I knew I was in for a bad one. I ended up only performing 3 working sets of 405 X 6. It was so bad the owner and I was laughing about it. Dave's a great guy and tough as nails. He's a former marine and cop. He knows I'm prepping for a show so he says to me, "See Joe, you need to decide if you want to be strong or you want to be pretty." LOL. I said, "Strong! Just wait until the winter and spring. I'm gonna be a monster in here. I'll be curling 405...lol".

I then went to seated cable rows and performed several drop sets and a final rest/pause set.

I finished back on hammer front pulldowns. I performed 3 sets of 10 reps where I held each contraction for a 2 count and then performed a super slow negative. It was a great pump.

30 minutes of climbing stairs and I was toast.

KevinCouch
09-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Well, I'm starting to notice a lousy trend in the workouts over the past week or more. Loss of strength. It has to be a combination of two things. First, I'm up at 4 a.m. every morning and training by 4:30. That way I can be home before the kids leave for school and then get to work. I'm not a big fan of early morning training. I only do it out of necessity.

Two, I'm training on no carbs and just low on general calories. It sucks..lol.

Today was back. It didn't start out to bad. I performed several sets of wide grip pulldowns. Worked up to 3 sets of 190 X 10.

Deadlifts sucked this morning. I knew it was going to be a bad day as I was going through my acclimation weights. 315 didn't feel bad but when I hit 365 I knew I was in for a bad one. I ended up only performing 3 working sets of 405 X 6. It was so bad the owner and I was laughing about it. Dave's a great guy and tough as nails. He's a former marine and cop. He knows I'm prepping for a show so he says to me, "See Joe, you need to decide if you want to be strong or you want to be pretty." LOL. I said, "Strong! Just wait until the winter and spring. I'm gonna be a monster in here. I'll be curling 405...lol".

I then went to seated cable rows and performed several drop sets and a final rest/pause set.

I finished back on hammer front pulldowns. I performed 3 sets of 10 reps where I held each contraction for a 2 count and then performed a super slow negative. It was a great pump.

30 minutes of climbing stairs and I was toast.

Hang in there Joe!! It's crunch time...This time makes the difference between 1st and 5th place...stay focused and with it and don't let up Brother! End result...WIN!!!
Kevin

joedemarco
09-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Grabbed some quick pics this afternoon just because the timing was good...kids outside playing and house was quiet. When you have three kids and 5 dogs, a quiet house is quite rare...lol. For some reason, a couple of the pics came out a little blurry. Weight this morning, naked and before food, was 178.

I'm 5 weeks out. I'm not totally happy with how things are going. I have been experimenting a lot with this contest prep. Some things have worked, some have not. I was looking at some pictures from Team U last September, and I don't feel like I am on track for the same level of conditioning. This kind of aggravates me. I think this is mainly the result of doing a lot less cardio for this prep. I don't use any fat burners (e.g. clen or even over-the-counter stuff) and usually rely on a significant amount of cardio to really dial in my conditioning. I will definitely have to figure out a different game plan, for dialing in my conditioning, before stepping on a national stage next year. For now, as they say, it is what it is.

Baldiewonkanobi
09-18-2010, 08:51 AM
It would be an honor Baldie. I only wish it wasn't so close to my show because I'll probably be a f--king hungry carb depleted idiot. We can either meet somewhere in between Boston and Providence or if you have time you can come up this way so that we can train at my awesome hard core gym. I think you would really appreciate the place. Just let me know. I'll PM you my cell as the time gets closer.

I will try to get Peter Finch to join us. He is holed up in Nantucket. Close if you are a crow.

Baldie

joedemarco
09-19-2010, 04:38 PM
I will try to get Peter Finch to join us. He is holed up in Nantucket. Close if you are a crow.

Baldie

Better yet, let's see if Peter wants some company down on the island...maybe he'll put us up for a week or two? ....Nantucket is beautiful this time of year.

Seriously, if he's free and has the time, it would be great to get together with him. If not, we'll work out something with just the two of us.

KevinCouch
09-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Grabbed some quick pics this afternoon just because the timing was good...kids outside playing and house was quiet. When you have three kids and 5 dogs, a quiet house is quite rare...lol. For some reason, a couple of the pics came out a little blurry. Weight this morning, naked and before food, was 178.

I'm 5 weeks out. I'm not totally happy with how things are going. I have been experimenting a lot with this contest prep. Some things have worked, some have not. I was looking at some pictures from Team U last September, and I don't feel like I am on track for the same level of conditioning. This kind of aggravates me. I think this is mainly the result of doing a lot less cardio for this prep. I don't use any fat burners (e.g. clen or even over-the-counter stuff) and usually rely on a significant amount of cardio to really dial in my conditioning. I will definitely have to figure out a different game plan, for dialing in my conditioning, before stepping on a national stage next year. For now, as they say, it is what it is.

Your pics to me look good. You have continued to lose bodyfat especially in your back/lower back region. You're about 10 pounds heavier this time since the last time you prepared for a contest right? That's a lot of muscle to add in a short amount of time (one year?) Maybe you'll have to begin more cardio than you've been doing overall, these pics are lightyears ahead of the 1st set of pics you posted a month or so ago. I think you're comparing your conditioning to when you were a LW I think you have the same problem I had when I was goin in to the Nats I was a guy with too much muscle for the Welters and not quite enough for the middles to be totally shredded and dry. Use this contest as a barometer to see where you stand and take the whole winter and spring to build quality muscle so you won't have this problem at th 2011 Master Nats. You'll be a full-blown middleweight! Keep focused and you'll be just fine for this contest....
Kevin

KevinCouch
09-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Joe,
How's your contest prep goin this week? Your weight beginning to come down a little?

Hammerfit
09-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Joe,
How's your contest prep goin this week? Your weight beginning to come down a little?

Updated pics Joe?

joedemarco
09-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Well here's the update...I was a veiny and solid 192 this morning when I stepped on the scale...lol. Why? I realized last week that mission was accomplished. I dieted for about 10 or 11 weeks, tried some new things, learned what I needed to learn, saw what I looked like at about 180, and put together a game plan for next year. This regional show in October really did not mean anything to me. It just gave me a date to work with on the calendar. Last week, when I felt that I learned enough, I figured why even waste the 5 weeks until the show. I want to get going with my game plan for 2011. I would rather use the next 5 weeks to begin my bulking phase so that I'm perfectly on tract for next year. So thats what I decided to do.

I started this prep at an off season high of 192. I know realize that it was not big enough. My plan is to get to a very solid 200. Shit, I'm already back up to 192 after 8 days of getting off my contest diet.

The next pics you see from me will be when I hit 200, which I believe will be around early to mid November. I will then work at hardening up at that weight through the winter/early spring.

I'm really psyched for the next 9-10 months. I plan on making some big changes to my physique and barely being able to squeeze down to 176 next year. Thanks to everyone for their support.

Mac
09-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Sounds like a solid plan Joe. I have have a hard time getting to 175 as it brings too much bodyfat.

You must have eaten a lot of food.

joedemarco
09-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Sounds like a solid plan Joe. I have have a hard time getting to 175 as it brings too much bodyfat.

You must have eaten a lot of food.

I have been eating a lot. I have my nutrition plan set up with 6 solid clean meals a day. Each meal has a good carb/protein/fat source. If in between meals I am hungry, I will eat. However, I won't eat junk or anything that will fill me up to the point where I will miss one of my scheduled meals. My strength in the gym also shot back up this week....which felt great mentally.

Mac
09-26-2010, 02:23 PM
6 meals a day is what I did in my last mock prep, which produced what you see in my avatar. I was eating a lot of clean food and too much cardio, but it got me shredded,

I have read you can get the same results on 3 meals a day too, albeit larger portions, same macros, etc.

The loss of strength is one of the most discouraging things from dieting. However, I have been able to get stronger during contest preps which makes me think I was just slacking off before. Unfortunately both times I backed out getting on stage. It wasn't worth it. You made the right choice. You're a fucking master national champ, now it's time to get the 2nd weight class.

I am about 8% now and want to stay here. I look the best IMO and that's what counts, look bigger but actually I am smaller at this weight.

Good luck, I hope you continue to journal here in the meantime.

joedemarco
09-26-2010, 03:36 PM
6 meals a day is what I did in my last mock prep, which produced what you see in my avatar. I was eating a lot of clean food and too much cardio, but it got me shredded,

I have read you can get the same results on 3 meals a day too, albeit larger portions, same macros, etc.

The loss of strength is one of the most discouraging things from dieting. However, I have been able to get stronger during contest preps which makes me think I was just slacking off before. Unfortunately both times I backed out getting on stage. It wasn't worth it. You made the right choice. You're a fucking master national champ, now it's time to get the 2nd weight class.

I am about 8% now and want to stay here. I look the best IMO and that's what counts, look bigger but actually I am smaller at this weight.

Good luck, I hope you continue to journal here in the meantime.

I don't blame you, Mac. If you are at 8% right now, and feel & look great, why change anything. Keep plugging away with what you are doing. At some point, if you feel that the time is right to step on stage, then go for it. From what I've seen, when you do decide to get back onstage, you are going to kick some serious butt. Thanks for your input on my thread.

KevinCouch
09-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Joe,
Sounds like you're taking the same route I did. Get within a few weeks of our shows and weeks of dieting then start adding size for next year. Mine wasn't planned but in the overall picture it's going to work out better for me too. I'm also 192 and feeling healthy and strong. I think you made the right decision no sense wasting 5 more weeks of dieting for a show that you don't need. Keep us posted on your weight and size gains and I will do the same.
Kevin

Baldiewonkanobi
09-27-2010, 06:25 AM
So Joe when I see you early Oct you will have your tanks full. Cool. I'm thinking of busing it up from RI and meeting you.....where? PM me with details...cell etc.

Baldie

joedemarco
09-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Back to back killer workouts. Boy it's great to eat carbs and grow big...lol.

Did legs on Monday. Absolute destruction. How do I know? I was up at 1 A.M. this morning popping tylenol because my legs were still throbbing from earlier in the day.

Lots and lots of deep squats. All sorts of different shit. Sets with forced reps with a spot. Sets with killer slow negatives. Just great stuff. I'm just really focusing on ass to the ground squats right now. Not going as heavy but getting a lot out of these type of reps.

I then went to hacks and did several sets there. It was the last set that was the killer. I don't even remember exactly what I did for reps. All I know is that I started with 5 plates on each side and Dave, the gym owner, just kept stripping plates and yelling out how many reps he wanted. Went all the way down to no weight. By the end, I was flat on my back, on the floor. My legs were throbbing and my head was f--king pounding. Dave thru me his bottled of tylenol from his office and told me to toughen up....lol. Got to love it.

This morning was chest and triceps. Lots of heavy basic movements...flat bench, incline bench, and flat DB. Getting whatever strength I lost back really quick. I was 192 this morning, 193.5 after training with food.

Tomorrow is off (thank God). Thursday is back/calves.

axioma
09-28-2010, 02:34 PM
I have been eating a lot. I have my nutrition plan set up with 6 solid clean meals a day. Each meal has a good carb/protein/fat source. If in between meals I am hungry, I will eat. However, I won't eat junk or anything that will fill me up to the point where I will miss one of my scheduled meals. My strength in the gym also shot back up this week....which felt great mentally.
You know yourself and what motivates you. Makes sense. Hope to see you as a full blown mid weight in '11. Congratulation on getting in awesome shape so quick.

KevinCouch
09-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Keep up the good work Joe! 200 pounds is a good weight for us to start bringing it down as long as it's not a sloppy 200 and I know you won't be! So many middleweights start at 215-220 but they're sloppy and they end up losing muscle coming down because they have so far to go.

I know that we will be competing against each other as middleweights but the important thing is that we both bring our 100% best and enjoy what we're doing. Not too many people our age can still bring what we're able to bring to the stage. Let's use the next several months to motivate each other much like Jay and Phil do and feed off each other's enthusiasm and gains!!
Kevin

joedemarco
09-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Keep up the good work Joe! 200 pounds is a good weight for us to start bringing it down as long as it's not a sloppy 200 and I know you won't be! So many middleweights start at 215-220 but they're sloppy and they end up losing muscle coming down because they have so far to go.

I know that we will be competing against each other as middleweights but the important thing is that we both bring our 100% best and enjoy what we're doing. Not too many people our age can still bring what we're able to bring to the stage. Let's use the next several months to motivate each other much like Jay and Phil do and feed off each other's enthusiasm and gains!!
Kevin

It's definitely going to be fun over the next several months as we both train for next summer. I like using as many ways/things that I can to stay motivated. Seeing you post pics and reading your training is a great motivator for me. Looking forward to stepping on stage with you.

KevinCouch
09-28-2010, 09:12 PM
It's definitely going to be fun over the next several months as we both train for next summer. I like using as many ways/things that I can to stay motivated. Seeing you post pics and reading your training is a great motivator for me. Looking forward to stepping on stage with you.

Ditto Bro! Let's get in our best shape of our life (I'll be 44) and enjoy every step of the way. When you get tired and weak the last few weeks I'll be there to stay on your ass! I hope you'll do the same for me. I know this is a competition and we both are very intense competitors but there's no reason why we can't push and motivate each other along the way. It's a big step for both of us I'm going from welters at last year's Masters Nats to middles so we both have some size to put on just make sure it's quality size!!!
Kevin

joedemarco
09-30-2010, 07:50 PM
Hit back and calves today. I was planning on a real heavy deadlift day but it didn't happen. As soon as I started pulling some decent weight, I could feel that my body hadn't recovered from the brutal leg workout on Monday. By the time I was up to 455 it just felt really heavy. I knew not to push it any further today. I therefore did most of my working sets in the 405-455 range.

I then did some sets off the first pin of the rack. I found out last week where my "weak spot" is on my deads. I am incredibly weak when I pull from the first pin. In this position, the weight is about 4-6 inches off of the ground. I find that starting from this position completely takes the power of my legs out of the lift. I am therefore hitting these rack pulls after each regular deadlift workout. I really feel that it's going to make a big difference for me over the next couple of months.

The rest of my back workout felt strong. I banged out a bunch of seated cable rows, wide grip pulldowns, and close grip pulldowns. I also threw in some hammer machine movements.

I finished up with about 15 minutes of standing calves. Did a variety of different types of sets and rep ranges.

My weight in the a.m. is in between 192 & 193. I'm getting some crazy readings later in the day after several meals and with some light clothes on. I won't consider myself to be 200 pounds though until I step on the scale first thing in the morning, naked, with no food in my stomach.

Tomorrow is leg day number 2!

KevinCouch
10-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Hit back and calves today. I was planning on a real heavy deadlift day but it didn't happen. As soon as I started pulling some decent weight, I could feel that my body hadn't recovered from the brutal leg workout on Monday. By the time I was up to 455 it just felt really heavy. I knew not to push it any further today. I therefore did most of my working sets in the 405-455 range.

I then did some sets off the first pin of the rack. I found out last week where my "weak spot" is on my deads. I am incredibly weak when I pull from the first pin. In this position, the weight is about 4-6 inches off of the ground. I find that starting from this position completely takes the power of my legs out of the lift. I am therefore hitting these rack pulls after each regular deadlift workout. I really feel that it's going to make a big difference for me over the next couple of months.

The rest of my back workout felt strong. I banged out a bunch of seated cable rows, wide grip pulldowns, and close grip pulldowns. I also threw in some hammer machine movements.

I finished up with about 15 minutes of standing calves. Did a variety of different types of sets and rep ranges.

My weight in the a.m. is in between 192 & 193. I'm getting some crazy readings later in the day after several meals and with some light clothes on. I won't consider myself to be 200 pounds though until I step on the scale first thing in the morning, naked, with no food in my stomach.

Tomorrow is leg day number 2!

Joe, Are you staying tight with at that weight? My weight is going in the opposite direction right now I weighed 187 this morning. I have such as fast metabolism that It's difficult for me to gain weight while eating clean foods even though calories are way up from precontest. I gained all that weight after I got off my diet by eating at least two junk food meals per day along with good meals. Now that I've gotten into a offseason diet and began to train again my body wants to lean out. I have a classic mesomorph body but an ectomorphic metabolism. I'm going to keep eating a lot of good offseason foods and throw in a cheat meal here and there and see where I end up. It may not be 200. The bottom line is that I want to come in the Master Nationals as a full-blown middleweight just like you do and we both will! Guaranteed! Keep training hard and heavy and I'm doing my best to try and get the intensity level and weights back up there.
Kevin

joedemarco
10-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Joe, Are you staying tight with at that weight? My weight is going in the opposite direction right now I weighed 187 this morning. I have such as fast metabolism that It's difficult for me to gain weight while eating clean foods even though calories are way up from precontest. I gained all that weight after I got off my diet by eating at least two junk food meals per day along with good meals. Now that I've gotten into a offseason diet and began to train again my body wants to lean out. I have a classic mesomorph body but an ectomorphic metabolism. I'm going to keep eating a lot of good offseason foods and throw in a cheat meal here and there and see where I end up. It may not be 200. The bottom line is that I want to come in the Master Nationals as a full-blown middleweight just like you do and we both will! Guaranteed! Keep training hard and heavy and I'm doing my best to try and get the intensity level and weights back up there.
Kevin

Yeah, I'm staying really tight. My abs are still really defined and my arms/legs are pretty veiny. I really have to force feed myself to keep climbing up in weight. There's a lot of times during the day that I don't feel like eating but make myself. I'm still taking in 6 clean meals a day and eating whatever else I want in between. It seems to be working at this point. To force in some extra protein/calories I even went out last week and bought some whey protein. When I wake up in the middle of the night to pee I usually run down into the kitchen and grab a quick protein drink. Doing whatever I have to in order to grow!

KevinCouch
10-02-2010, 09:16 AM
That's awesome Joe! I think I bump up my calories some more once I'm able to train harder. You'll be 200 before the end of this month probably. I bet your strength has shot up too. I'm really itching to start moving heavier weight but I'm not going to push it even with my upper body exercises that don't involve my back directly because it does involve straining and tightening up the spinal area so I'm trying to be patient and let this thing heal properly. It's been almost 4 weeks now and it's getting there.
Once you hit 200 and you're still pretty tight are you going to keep moving up or are you going to scale back the calories a little and level off? If you're growing you might not want to stop the process. On the other hand, you don't want to get too far away from 176....

joedemarco
10-02-2010, 05:57 PM
That's awesome Joe! I think I bump up my calories some more once I'm able to train harder. You'll be 200 before the end of this month probably. I bet your strength has shot up too. I'm really itching to start moving heavier weight but I'm not going to push it even with my upper body exercises that don't involve my back directly because it does involve straining and tightening up the spinal area so I'm trying to be patient and let this thing heal properly. It's been almost 4 weeks now and it's getting there.
Once you hit 200 and you're still pretty tight are you going to keep moving up or are you going to scale back the calories a little and level off? If you're growing you might not want to stop the process. On the other hand, you don't want to get too far away from 176....

I'll definitely get some pics up when I hit 200. I'm not sure if I will take my weight much higher then that. I guess I will see. I couple of my close advisors have told me to take my weight up to the 210-212 range. I'm just taking it all one day at a time.

KevinCouch
10-03-2010, 07:17 PM
I'll definitely get some pics up when I hit 200. I'm not sure if I will take my weight much higher then that. I guess I will see. I couple of my close advisors have told me to take my weight up to the 210-212 range. I'm just taking it all one day at a time.

Yea..you know your body better than anyone else. You'll know if 200 is enough for you and hold for a couple months while hardening up before beginning to cut back. You'll also know if you think your lagging bodyparts need a little more size even if you're already at 200. That's pretty much how I access my bodyweight versus the mirror. I'm still 187 but I'm feeling tighter and my muscles are beginning to fill out since I've begun to train them again. I'm going to bump up my calories a little more next week and we'll see how it goes. Keep up the good work Joe!

joedemarco
10-05-2010, 03:27 PM
It was a Squatober Fest in the gym today. Not including warm-ups, I did 14 sets of squats....lol. To me, squating is like drinking 10 cups of coffee and then going bungy jumping. It just gives me a complete adrenaline rush. I luv psyching myself up for each set, pushing myself for an extra rep when my legs are burning and my head feels like it's about to pop off.

I basically started squatting today and began adding 20 pounds on each set. I topped off at 435 X 3 (at which point I was already fried from all of the lead up sets). I then began dropping back down. The final set was 315 X 21 reps, about a 20 second rest, and then Dave told me to get back under for another 10 reps. I didn't even get to put my belt back on...lol.

I ended the workout with 5 sets of heavy hacks and 5 sets of legs extensions.

Baldie, I wish you were in town for this one today!

KevinCouch
10-05-2010, 03:32 PM
It was a Squatober Fest in the gym today. Not including warm-ups, I did 14 sets of squats....lol. To me, squating is like drinking 10 cups of coffee and then going bungy jumping. It just gives me a complete adrenaline rush. I luv psyching myself up for each set, pushing myself for an extra rep when my legs are burning and my head feels like it's about to pop off.

I basically started squatting today and began adding 20 pounds on each set. I topped off at 435 X 3 (at which point I was already fried from all of the lead up sets). I then began dropping back down. The final set was 315 X 21 reps, about a 20 second rest, and then Dave told me to get back under for another 10 reps. I didn't even get to put my belt back on...lol.

I ended the workout with 5 sets of heavy hacks and 5 sets of legs extensions.

Baldie, I wish you were in town for this one today!

You're Squat Psycho! Awesome...

joedemarco
10-05-2010, 03:35 PM
You're Squat Psycho! Awesome...

Lol..thanks Kevin. I'm really starting to feel the after effects of the workout now. My legs feel like bricks and I'm feeling wicked tired.

Hammerfit
10-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Lol..thanks Kevin. I'm really starting to feel the after effects of the workout now. My legs feel like bricks and I'm feeling wicked tired.

Your Squat Master, I bow to you Sir!

I love it! Nothing better than squatting, it does that to me too. I am just wasted the rest of the day and sometimes (today) it last more than a day to recover Mike Horn just told me yesterday to make sure I was recovered before I squat again. Ummmmm......not sure when I am recovered!

joedemarco
10-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Woke up this morning....lets are f--king killing me. I'm sure it is only going to get worse as the day goes on......(Mission Accomplished!)

KevinCouch
10-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Woke up this morning....lets are f--king killing me. I'm sure it is only going to get worse as the day goes on......(Mission Accomplished!)

Wait until tomorrow morning!!! You're right it's gonna get worse. Isn't it demented that we enjoy this kinda pain?

joedemarco
10-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Wait until tomorrow morning!!! You're right it's gonna get worse. Isn't it demented that we enjoy this kinda pain?

Lol..I know. If I'm hurting this bad today, tomorrow is really going to be bad!

KevinCouch
10-06-2010, 09:36 AM
I saw on MD that Daniel Stern 2009 Master Nationals WW winner is doing Nationals. He's got a great physique, pretty complete package. I hope he does well representing us geriatric folks.

joedemarco
10-06-2010, 09:41 AM
I saw on MD that Daniel Stern 2009 Master Nationals WW winner is doing Nationals. He's got a great physique, pretty complete package. I hope he does well representing us geriatric folks.

Yeah, I remember him. He was in excellent condition in '09. Best of luck to him!

KevinCouch
10-07-2010, 09:20 AM
How do your quads feel this AM Joe? Are you closing in on 200 yet? I'm still only at 190 but I think I'm beginning to grow since I'm beginning to get back into a routine.
BTW, thanks for your input on the prolotherapy, I'm going to do it next month. Dr. said it will probably be 3 weekly sessions then that should do it.
Kevin

joedemarco
10-07-2010, 12:39 PM
How do your quads feel this AM Joe? Are you closing in on 200 yet? I'm still only at 190 but I think I'm beginning to grow since I'm beginning to get back into a routine.
BTW, thanks for your input on the prolotherapy, I'm going to do it next month. Dr. said it will probably be 3 weekly sessions then that should do it.
Kevin

I'm sore as hell today...lol. Luckily, it's my off day. I still have a ways to go to hit 200. I'm probably up another pound or so. In the mornings, I'm consistently in the low 190's. I haven't hit 195 yet (I do in the afternoons/evenings after eating all day).

Good luck with the prolotherapy. Hope it all works out for you. Glad to see you training again!

joedemarco
10-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Looking forward to hitting the gym tomorrow morning with Bill (a/k/a Baldie). We are planning on hitting back and triceps. Should be a great time.

Mac
10-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Looking forward to hitting the gym tomorrow morning with Bill (a/k/a Baldie). We are planning on hitting back and triceps. Should be a great time.

Take lots of pictures.

joedemarco
10-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Posting for no other reason then I am currently at post number 666 and it freaked me out! There, at 667 now...lol.

bryantone
10-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Maybe we will pass each other as I am down to 199lbs for a few days now. was 220 last year. 14 more to go. There is 2 home made cinnamin apple pies in the fridge. Isnt cinnamin supposed to be healthy for us?

bryantone
10-08-2010, 10:30 PM
666... dont worry, that number belongs to my mother in law.

KevinCouch
10-09-2010, 03:40 PM

How was your and Baldie's workout?

joedemarco
10-09-2010, 06:02 PM
How was your and Baldie's workout?

Bill and I got together this morning for a back/triceps workout and then grabbed some breakfast. Bill is just a phenomenal guy and it was a pleasure to meet him. On a bodybuilding note, I was very impressed with the size and condition that Bill carries. 70 years old...you have got to be f--king kidding me....lol. He looks incredible.

Back and triceps went really well. I did a few different exercises that I haven't done in a while so I know I will feel it tomorrow. After Bill left I realized I forgot to even get any pics. What a bummer.

Talking bodybuilding with him at breakfast really psyched me up for next year. Really looking forward to Pitt next year.

KevinCouch
10-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Bill and I got together this morning for a back/triceps workout and then grabbed some breakfast. Bill is just a phenomenal guy and it was a pleasure to meet him. On a bodybuilding note, I was very impressed with the size and condition that Bill carries. 70 years old...you have got to be f--king kidding me....lol. He looks incredible.

Back and triceps went really well. I did a few different exercises that I haven't done in a while so I know I will feel it tomorrow. After Bill left I realized I forgot to even get any pics. What a bummer.

Talking bodybuilding with him at breakfast really psyched me up for next year. Really looking forward to Pitt next year.

Glad to hear you had a great workout and time with Bill. I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you in person just enjoying the whole experience next July in Pitt!

joedemarco
10-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Luv having the day off and staying home. I have just been eating all day long...lol. Pretty much every two hours I have been having a meal. I should be about 235 by midnight tonight. :p

KevinCouch
10-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Luv having the day off and staying home. I have just been eating all day long...lol. Pretty much every two hours I have been having a meal. I should be about 235 by midnight tonight. :p

You'll be one thick dude at 235 at our height!!:yep: Joe aka Lee Priest DeMarco!!

axioma
10-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Got to work out with Baldie...damn, I'm jealous. He said he was going to come by and stay a day or two and I haven't heard boo from the guy.

joedemarco
10-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Training update.....I like to train in cycles and am about to start a very heavy program in about a week. I have spent the past 2-3 weeks basically training hard/heavy but not pushing it to the point of setting any personal records. My weight has been pretty steady at about 193 which is fine at the moment. I plan on shooting it up once I start this next phase of training.

Hit legs today and felt very good. Just squats, hacks and leg extensions today. Strength felt good but I kept the weight moderate and the reps a little on the higher side. Didn't go much over 400 pounds on my working sets of squats and 10 plates on deep hacks actually felt pretty routine. Can't wait to start really pounding the heavy weight in the next few weeks. I plan on setting a lot of P.R.'s.

I will definitely get some pics up when I hit the big 2-0-0. Shoulders/biceps tomorrow in the morning.

Mac
10-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Training update.....I like to train in cycles and am about to start a very heavy program in about a week.

Gees Joe, I was already depressed looking at the numbers you were throwing around compared to what I do and now I hear you weren't pushing it.

:dunno:

KevinCouch
10-15-2010, 10:31 PM
Training update.....I like to train in cycles and am about to start a very heavy program in about a week. I have spent the past 2-3 weeks basically training hard/heavy but not pushing it to the point of setting any personal records. My weight has been pretty steady at about 193 which is fine at the moment. I plan on shooting it up once I start this next phase of training.

Hit legs today and felt very good. Just squats, hacks and leg extensions today. Strength felt good but I kept the weight moderate and the reps a little on the higher side. Didn't go much over 400 pounds on my working sets of squats and 10 plates on deep hacks actually felt pretty routine. Can't wait to start really pounding the heavy weight in the next few weeks. I plan on setting a lot of P.R.'s.

I will definitely get some pics up when I hit the big 2-0-0. Shoulders/biceps tomorrow in the morning.

Joe, Can you stop working your legs until mine heal up to give me a chance to catch up in the wheels?:yep:

joedemarco
10-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Joe, Can you stop working your legs until mine heal up to give me a chance to catch up in the wheels?:yep:

No problem, Kevin. By the way, I would like to volunteer to put together your off season nutrition program. I need you to go to the store and pick up several large containers of Hood vanilla ice cream and a dozen bags of Toll House chocolate chip cookies.....we will begin with that and add some marshmellow fluff later in the week...LOL.

bryantone
10-16-2010, 04:35 PM
No problem, Kevin. By the way, I would like to volunteer to put together your off season nutrition program. I need you to go to the store and pick up several large containers of Hood vanilla ice cream and a dozen bags of Toll House chocolate chip cookies.....we will begin with that and add some marshmellow fluff later in the week...LOL.
Yup Kevin, It has really worked for me. I add a scoop of whey protein to take the guilt away right before bedtime.

KevinCouch
10-17-2010, 11:42 AM

No Way Brother!! Let's both train our asses off and do everything we can to be 100% at the Masters! Just kiddin bout your quad workouts....Greats workouts Joe...Just know that I 'm in this side of the computer training my ass off as hard as you are, just a little break on my quads that's all.

Let's get this done!!!!
Kevin

Two Hardcore BB Hitting it Hard for the 2011 Master Nationals Middleweight!!

Kevin Couch 2010 Master Nationals Champion Welterweight
Joe DeMarco 2007 Master Nationals Champion Lightweight

Hammerfit
10-17-2010, 11:52 AM

now that was funny dont care who u r

joedemarco
10-17-2010, 04:36 PM
now that was funny dont care who u r

LOL..thanks Hammer. Maybe if my chiropractic career flops I could go into stand-up comedy?

KevinCouch
10-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Seriously, my friend. We've got our work cut out for us for this year's Masters Nats. I'm up for the task and I know you are so let's keep each other motivated and training our asses off over the next 9 months. 6 months of size building and 12 weeks of shredding....and I'm mean shredded this time....both of us!!!

joedemarco
10-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Seriously, my friend. We've got our work cut out for us for this year's Masters Nats. I'm up for the task and I know you are so let's keep each other motivated and training our asses off over the next 9 months. 6 months of size building and 12 weeks of shredding....and I'm mean shredded this time....both of us!!!

I'm with ya. It's gonna be a tough show. I will definitely be putting everything I have into this contest. Looking forward to seeing you on stage!

joedemarco
10-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Hit legs today. I had just squatted on Friday so I wasn't planning on it today. However, I got to the gym, saw the squat rack, and was pulled towards it by some unknown Force.

I decided to start a heavy training cycle this week. Going to shoot for some P.R.'s over the next couple of months. I started squats (no knee wraps and just using my old leather lifting belt) by just working up slowly doing sets of 3's. My last set was 455 X 3. To be honest, and I'm not trying to sound cocky, but I had a little more in me. However, I don't like to jump up to fast during a heavy training cycle. It will just give me something to look forward to next week.

I then backed the weight down and ended with 3 sets of 8 with 405. Ended the leg workout with leg extensions and prone leg curls.

Feeling good and looking forward to banging out some tough workouts in the weeks ahead.

bryantone
10-18-2010, 08:08 PM
you recouperate with 2 days rest? I worked legs on sat and they are killing me, probably need 2 more days to clear up. I have been taking glutamine for recovery. Can you work out sore legs? What about over training, is it bull shit? Sorry for so many questions, but I am trying to learn more than what is in my books.

joedemarco
10-19-2010, 08:19 AM
you recouperate with 2 days rest? I worked legs on sat and they are killing me, probably need 2 more days to clear up. I have been taking glutamine for recovery. Can you work out sore legs? What about over training, is it bull shit? Sorry for so many questions, but I am trying to learn more than what is in my books.

I think that people use the term "over training" a little bit to often. From the research that I have read, over training does not occur as frequently and easily as most people think. People train hard for a few days, become sore, and thing they are over training. Personally, I don't think that is over training. I think that weeks/months of hard training must occur first. At the point where progress then begins to go backwards(this appears to be the key component of over training from the research I've read), the individual then may be in a situation of over training. Other then that, we all get sore from lifting and just need to suck it up and push ahead.

In regards to squatting Friday and then again Monday, I don't usually do that. I have been hitting legs on Friday (without squats) and Monday so I am use to that split. However, Friday's squat day was a relatively lighter day and Monday was heavy. Also, while I was probably not 100% recovered on Monday, my legs were not sore and I felt good. Obviously I made the right decision because I had a good day.

I always try to listen to my body. No matter what I have planned out "on paper", how I feel that day always over rides that plan. If I feel like crap, I back off. If I'm feeling great, I push it. Luckily, I have more good days then bad. I got that philosophy from an old judo coach of mine. He use to say that as athletes, we only get so many days per month that we feel really really good. Therefore, when you have one of those days, you really should take advantage of it and push extra hard.

joedemarco
10-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Hit chest and triceps today. I worked in the incline smith machine presses that I read about from either Bill or Ax. I can't remember who was talking about them. I set it up so that I was lowering the bar to just below my chin. Great great pump on the upper pecs. Thanks guys for the suggestion.

Legs are f-in sore today......

Hammerfit
10-20-2010, 08:53 AM
I think that people use the term "over training" a little bit to often. From the research that I have read, over training does not occur as frequently and easily as most people think. People train hard for a few days, become sore, and thing they are over training. Personally, I don't think that is over training. I think that weeks/months of hard training must occur first. At the point where progress then begins to go backwards(this appears to be the key component of over training from the research I've read), the individual then may be in a situation of over training. Other then that, we all get sore from lifting and just need to suck it up and push ahead.

In regards to squatting Friday and then again Monday, I don't usually do that. I have been hitting legs on Friday (without squats) and Monday so I am use to that split. However, Friday's squat day was a relatively lighter day and Monday was heavy. Also, while I was probably not 100% recovered on Monday, my legs were not sore and I felt good. Obviously I made the right decision because I had a good day.

I always try to listen to my body. No matter what I have planned out "on paper", how I feel that day always over rides that plan. If I feel like crap, I back off. If I'm feeling great, I push it. Luckily, I have more good days then bad. I got that philosophy from an old judo coach of mine. He use to say that as athletes, we only get so many days per month that we feel really really good. Therefore, when you have one of those days, you really should take advantage of it and push extra hard.

Thats great

joedemarco
10-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Had a great day hitting back and calves today. I started with deadlifts. After a few warm-up sets, I began doing sets of 2 starting with 405. Hit 405 X 2, 435 X 2, 465 X 2, and 495 X 2. Being at 495, I had to slap on another ten just to get up and over 500. I pulled 505 pretty comfortably for a single. I then went back down and ended with 405 X 10 and 405 X 8.

For those wondering why I bother with doubles and single reps, I’ll bore you with some of my philosophy. By increasing my strength on deadlifts (for instance working up to 505 today), it makes 405 feel like a joke. I can then attack 405 for a set of 10 and then 8. These two sets were definitely my growth sets. My back was so f—ing pumped after those two sets I probably could have went home and called it a day. My next goal is to bang out 425 for 10. To do this, I know that my overall deadlift strength also needs to increase.

Philosophy in a nutshell: Want big muscles? Push big f—ing weight….and after working out, as Baldie would say, “then eat!”

Rest of the workout was a variety of pulldown type work. Followed this with several sets of standing calves.

Then went home and ATE.

Hammerfit
10-21-2010, 06:36 PM
Had a great day hitting back and calves today. I started with deadlifts. After a few warm-up sets, I began doing sets of 2 starting with 405. Hit 405 X 2, 435 X 2, 465 X 2, and 495 X 2. Being at 495, I had to slap on another ten just to get up and over 500. I pulled 505 pretty comfortably for a single. I then went back down and ended with 405 X 10 and 405 X 8.

For those wondering why I bother with doubles and single reps, I’ll bore you with some of my philosophy. By increasing my strength on deadlifts (for instance working up to 505 today), it makes 405 feel like a joke. I can then attack 405 for a set of 10 and then 8. These two sets were definitely my growth sets. My back was so f—ing pumped after those two sets I probably could have went home and called it a day. My next goal is to bang out 425 for 10. To do this, I know that my overall deadlift strength also needs to increase.

Philosophy in a nutshell: Want big muscles? Push big f—ing weight….and after working out, as Baldie would say, “then eat!”

Rest of the workout was a variety of pulldown type work. Followed this with several sets of standing calves.

Then went home and ATE.

Want big muscles? Push big f—ing weight….and after working out, as Baldie would say, “then eat!” Couldnt agree more Joe! Good Job! I have done the deadlift the same way

joedemarco
10-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Want big muscles? Push big f—ing weight….and after working out, as Baldie would say, “then eat!” Couldnt agree more Joe! Good Job! I have done the deadlift the same way

Thanks, Hammer! I can tell, from reading your workouts, that we are pretty much on the same page in this regard.

Hammerfit
10-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks, Hammer! I can tell, from reading your workouts, that we are pretty much on the same page in this regard.

I miss dead lifts this hernia has me limited on what I can do

joedemarco
10-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Leg day number two for the week. I must admit, I was very inspired as I drove over to the gym today. I had read Baldie's leg workout and also the message from Hammer saying he was gonna hit it hard today (which I just read that he did by setting a new P.R.).

I don't usually squat as often, and as heavy, as I have been doing but I don't care. I'm feeling good, and feeling strong, and thought, "why not squat again today".

I knew I had a little extra in me after doing a triple with 455 this past Monday. I therefore pushed it a little more today. Did the 455 again for 3. Then went 477 for a double. Why 477? It's an inside joke with Dave, the owner of the gym. Sometimes when I'm going for a higher weight, he will throw on these little one pound weights on each end to fuck with my head...lol.

The funniest part of the leg workout was on leg presses. I was working up to my heavy sets and had just completed a set of 10 with 18 plates. I was about to put another plate on each side, when Dave talked me into putting a 100 pound plate on each side. That's 1010 lbs, which I got 10 good deep reps. Well, he talked me into another 100 pound plate on each side, taking the total up to 1210 lbs. With a guy on each side, just in case, I banged out 6 really good reps. I thought my head was gonna pop off.

I left that gym today with a feeling of total fatigue and euphoria. It was the weirdest feeling. My legs were (and still are) "toast". My body, in general is totally beat. If that workout didn't stimulate muscle growth, I don't know what will.

...and don't worry Baldie. I chowed down, big time, when I got home.

Got to luv leg days!

KevinCouch
10-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Leg day number two for the week. I must admit, I was very inspired as I drove over to the gym today. I had read Baldie's leg workout and also the message from Hammer saying he was gonna hit it hard today (which I just read that he did by setting a new P.R.).

I don't usually squat as often, and as heavy, as I have been doing but I don't care. I'm feeling good, and feeling strong, and thought, "why not squat again today".

I knew I had a little extra in me after doing a triple with 455 this past Monday. I therefore pushed it a little more today. Did the 455 again for 3. Then went 477 for a double. Why 477? It's an inside joke with Dave, the owner of the gym. Sometimes when I'm going for a higher weight, he will throw on these little one pound weights on each end to fuck with my head...lol.

The funniest part of the leg workout was on leg presses. I was working up to my heavy sets and had just completed a set of 10 with 18 plates. I was about to put another plate on each side, when Dave talked me into putting a 100 pound plate on each side. That's 1010 lbs, which I got 10 good deep reps. Well, he talked me into another 100 pound plate on each side, taking the total up to 1210 lbs. With a guy on each side, just in case, I banged out 6 really good reps. I thought my head was gonna pop off.

I left that gym today with a feeling of total fatigue and euphoria. It was the weirdest feeling. My legs were (and still are) "toast". My body, in general is totally beat. If that workout didn't stimulate muscle growth, I don't know what will.

Got to luv leg days!

I just told Hammer that I've decided to lose some size and move to the men's physique class cuz I can't hang with you crazy motherf**ckers with your quad workouts. Then I'll get to wear boardshorts to cover them up.

joedemarco
10-22-2010, 07:58 PM
I just told Hammer that I've decided to lose some size and move to the men's physique class cuz I can't hang with you crazy motherf**ckers with your quad workouts. Then I'll get to wear boardshorts to cover them up.

LOL...that's pretty funny, Kevin. However, something tells me you will do just fine for yourself on stage next year. You'll be bringing a very tough competitive package to the stage in July. Plus, I really think the treatment you are getting next month is really going to make a big difference for you. Best of luck with it!

freebirdmac
10-22-2010, 08:23 PM

Got to luv leg days!

You and Baldie make my legs are toast workout seem really, really lame. Hours later and I'm still eating!!! Gotta bake more of my magic pumpkin muffins and up all my weights next week. :bowdown:

joedemarco
10-22-2010, 08:28 PM
You and Baldie make my legs are toast workout seem really, really lame. Hours later and I'm still eating!!! Gotta bake more of my magic pumpkin muffins and up all my weights next week. :bowdown:

Lol...thanks, Freebird. By the way, what are these magic pumpkin muffins?

freebirdmac
10-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Lol...thanks, Freebird. By the way, what are these magic pumpkin muffins?

A gluten-free recipe I found using coconut flour and coconut oil. I had to find some way to keep my my cals up when bread just wouldn't make my tummy happy. These are about 211 cals a muffin. Since I've been eating them I swear my workouts have been better :rolleyes:

joedemarco
10-22-2010, 08:37 PM
A gluten-free recipe I found using coconut flour and coconut oil. I had to find some way to keep my my cals up when bread just wouldn't make my tummy happy. These are about 211 cals a muffin. Since I've been eating them I swear my workouts have been better :rolleyes:

Yumm...I could eat pumpkin muffins all day. Are we sharing this recipe or is it a family secret? :flowers:

freebirdmac
10-22-2010, 08:52 PM
http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/recipe_Gluten-Free_Pumpkin_Muffins.htm

I cut back on the sugar and cinnamon (I used fresh ceylon though) a bit the second time I made these. Deleted the molasses, nuts, and allspice as well.

2tbs of coconut flour has :

1.5 g fat (1 g saturated fat)
10 g carbs (with 9 g fiber, bringing the net carb count to a measly 1)
2 g protein

I think they're awesome. But ya gotta like coconut :p

Hammerfit
10-23-2010, 09:53 AM

Got to luv leg days!

Awesome leg day Bro, glad I helped inspire. Thats funny about the 1lb weights. My friend Pat told me to start using odd weights on my up pyramind, instead of 225, use 235, instead of 315 use 335, 425, etc....dont know what that does, but he's a very good power guy

nice presses! sounds like you maxed out the CNS. great job!

joedemarco
10-25-2010, 04:29 PM
O.K….so today’s leg workout needs a little introduction. Here’s the story. We have a white board at our gym for yearly records. We list out the top three lifts in bench, deadlifts, squats, and power cleans. Last week, under squats, the best lift this year was John Cena (yes, from the WWE). He had a 475 X 5. There was then a 475 X 1, and I believe a 455 X 2. This past Friday, I did a 477 X 2. The owner therefore threw my name up on the board replacing the 455 guy.

The next day (Saturday), I walk in and my name is erased. On top of the board is Matt Cena (John’s brother) at 500 X 2. The guy who had 475 X 1 is now listed as 485 x 1. The third guy on the board is John Cena still at 475 X 5. How could that be? I was just in the gym 12 hours ago. Obviously, Matt must have come in with the number two guy, squatted, hit some new highs, put their names up on the board, and erased mine.

Fair enough. If they came in and beat me, that’s fair. However, I am not a good loser. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not a BAD loser. I’m just not a good loser. There’s a big difference. A bad loser is the guy on stage who comes in second, acts all pissed off, won’t shake hands with the guy who won, etc, etc, etc. I would never do that. I am just not a good loser. I will always conduct myself as a professional. If I don’t win, I will always act gracious, shake hands with everyone, smile, etc, etc, etc. However, I will then take that 2nd place trophy and toss it in the garbage on the way out of the auditorium when no one is looking. If you come to my house, it looks like I have won every contest I was ever in…lol. That’s because I don’t keep any other trophies.

I will also do whatever is necessary to win. I am not a quitter. I have fought through broken noses, injured shoulders, and a torn calf muscle during judo matches. If I need to get my ass out of bed at 3 A.M. to get in extra cardio for a contest I will do it. Whatever is required. Like I said, I am not a good loser.

I have mentioned in my previous post, that I have been squatting with just my old leather lifting belt. Well, today I showed up to the gym with the power belt and knee wraps. My plan: To take out everyone on that squat list….lol.

I didn’t feel super great today but I was on a mission. I worked up through the poundages. I hit 455 for a double, and 485 for a double. Threw 505 on the bar and sank that for two also! Went into the owner’s office, grabbed the marker, and wrote my name across the top. Does this mean I will have the Cena brothers after me? Might not be a good thing.
The best part of the workout however was on the way back down in weight. I was planning on doing 405 for 8 however I ended up doing it for 12 (10 by myself and then the owner stepped in to spot me on two reps). I ended with 315 X 25 (only needed a spot on #25). After this set, I racked the weight, walked outside, threw up, and came back in to finish up with leg extensions and curls. Yes, I was having fun!
My legs and body are absolutely beat to death. Total body shock and stimulation today. Growth is inevitable.

freebirdmac
10-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Damn Joe! That is awesome!!! Nothing like being challenged, taking it on, and hitting it. Puking in the parking lot is the icing. Can't get any more hardcore than that! :bowdown:

Baldiewonkanobi
10-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Joe....I am so GD proud of you I don't know where to begin. This is so awsome. My first wife's maiden name was Stagliano. So I guess i'm a little Italian by 'injection'. I'm sure I have only one son by her. WTF I will consider you adopted.

My trophy shelf is almost the same. My kids insisted I keep the 2nd place Nationals trophy. Otherwise like you I have left 2-5th place Mr. America, Mr.USA and Universe trophies in hotel rooms coast to coast. Sure you are not my half Italian son?

Again...I am very proud of you.

Baldie

KevinCouch
10-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Great Job Joe...Every week you keep setting personal records!! Keepin us all motivated...
Kevin

Hammerfit
10-25-2010, 06:21 PM
O.K….so today’s leg workout needs a little introduction. Here’s the story. We have a white board at our gym for yearly records. We list out the top three lifts in bench, deadlifts, squats, and power cleans. Last week, under squats, the best lift this year was John Cena (yes, from the WWE). He had a 475 X 5. There was then a 475 X 1, and I believe a 455 X 2. This past Friday, I did a 477 X 2. The owner therefore threw my name up on the board replacing the 455 guy.

The next day (Saturday), I walk in and my name is erased. On top of the board is Matt Cena (John’s brother) at 500 X 2. The guy who had 475 X 1 is now listed as 485 x 1. The third guy on the board is John Cena still at 475 X 5. How could that be? I was just in the gym 12 hours ago. Obviously, Matt must have come in with the number two guy, squatted, hit some new highs, put their names up on the board, and erased mine.

Fair enough. If they came in and beat me, that’s fair. However, I am not a good loser. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not a BAD loser. I’m just not a good loser. There’s a big difference. A bad loser is the guy on stage who comes in second, acts all pissed off, won’t shake hands with the guy who won, etc, etc, etc. I would never do that. I am just not a good loser. I will always conduct myself as a professional. If I don’t win, I will always act gracious, shake hands with everyone, smile, etc, etc, etc. However, I will then take that 2nd place trophy and toss it in the garbage on the way out of the auditorium when no one is looking. If you come to my house, it looks like I have won every contest I was ever in…lol. That’s because I don’t keep any other trophies.

I will also do whatever is necessary to win. I am not a quitter. I have fought through broken noses, injured shoulders, and a torn calf muscle during judo matches. If I need to get my ass out of bed at 3 A.M. to get in extra cardio for a contest I will do it. Whatever is required. Like I said, I am not a good loser.

I have mentioned in my previous post, that I have been squatting with just my old leather lifting belt. Well, today I showed up to the gym with the power belt and knee wraps. My plan: To take out everyone on that squat list….lol.

I didn’t feel super great today but I was on a mission. I worked up through the poundages. I hit 455 for a double, and 485 for a double. Threw 505 on the bar and sank that for two also! Went into the owner’s office, grabbed the marker, and wrote my name across the top. Does this mean I will have the Cena brothers after me? Might not be a good thing.
The best part of the workout however was on the way back down in weight. I was planning on doing 405 for 8 however I ended up doing it for 12 (10 by myself and then the owner stepped in to spot me on two reps). I ended with 315 X 25 (only needed a spot on #25). After this set, I racked the weight, walked outside, threw up, and came back in to finish up with leg extensions and curls. Yes, I was having fun!
My legs and body are absolutely beat to death. Total body shock and stimulation today. Growth is inevitable.

That is one of the greatest stories of all time! Damn what a motivator you are my friend. So I guess now I HAVE to put up the 500lb squat just to say I know you! Ok, done deal. I smoked hams today with some high octane insane volume but we'll see if I can recover by Friday. If not next Friday for sure, I will be under the 500lb bar. That's not 505 but if I get 4 reps would that count?

That is fucking great I laughed my ass off when I read that. I could visualize you doing that and then looking over your shoulder to see if you were getting ready to get body slammed!

joedemarco
10-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Damn Joe! That is awesome!!! Nothing like being challenged, taking it on, and hitting it. Puking in the parking lot is the icing. Can't get any more hardcore than that! :bowdown:

Thanks, Freebird. I owe it all to these great pumpkin muffins I have been eating (I think some ended up in the parking lot of my gym today....lol). Got the recipe from some bad ass woman lifter I know...she promised they would make me stronger and they did.

Joe....I am so GD proud of you I don't know where to begin. This is so awsome. My first wife's maiden name was Stagliano. So I guess i'm a little Italian by 'injection'. I'm sure I have only one son by her. WTF I will consider you adopted.

My trophy shelf is almost the same. My kids insisted I keep the 2nd place Nationals trophy. Otherwise like you I have left 2-5th place Mr. America, Mr.USA and Universe trophies in hotel rooms coast to coast. Sure you are not my half Italian son?

Again...I am very proud of you.

Baldie

Thanks, Bill (I mean Dad). Funny you have done the same thing with the trophies. Glad you kept the one from this year because it is a symbol of your hard ass devotion to the sport and represented a lot of blood, sweat, and tears.

Great Job Joe...Every week you keep setting personal records!! Keepin us all motivated...
Kevin

Thanks, Kevin. Glad I can help motivate. All of you do the same for me. By the way, the 505 on the deadlift last week was a P.R. but not the squat today. I hit 545 before when I was kid (25 or so). However, I really feel that I can go up and over that amount this winter. We will see.

That is one of the greatest stories of all time! Damn what a motivator you are my friend. So I guess now I HAVE to put up the 500lb squat just to say I know you! Ok, done deal. I smoked hams today with some high octane insane volume but we'll see if I can recover by Friday. If not next Friday for sure, I will be under the 500lb bar. That's not 505 but if I get 4 reps would that count?

That is fucking great I laughed my ass off when I read that. I could visualize you doing that and then looking over your shoulder to see if you were getting ready to get body slammed!

Thanks, Hammer! Like I just said to Kevin, all of you on this forum motivate me everyday. Your leg workouts have been a huge motivator for me! You better believe that I want to see you get under the 500 pound squat ASAP. You'll know when the day is right.

Let's build these legs of ours and hit that stage next summer!

joedemarco
10-27-2010, 09:15 AM
Much needed day off today. Yesterday was chest and triceps. It was not a great workout, just the kind that you push through so that you set yourself up for a great workout down the road. I didn't feel particularly strong yesterday and my body just felt "beat".

I think my CNS was just wiped out from Monday's leg workout. I have really been feeling it the past two days.

Bench: 315 X 5 (2 sets), 295 X 7, 295 X 6
Smith Incline to Chin (my new favorite chest exercise): 4 plates X 8 (3 sets)
Flat DB presses: 95's X 10 (3 sets)
Hammer bench (plate load): 6 plates x 8 (3 sets)
Rope pushdowns: 125 X 20 (3 sets)
Single rope pushdowns across body (kind of made this up today): 45 X 15 (3 sets each arm)

Will be hitting back and calves Thursday.

KevinCouch
10-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Much needed day off today. Yesterday was chest and triceps. It was not a great workout, just the kind that you push through so that you set yourself up for a great workout down the road. I didn't feel particularly strong yesterday and my body just felt "beat".

I think my CNS was just wiped out from Monday's leg workout. I have really been feeling it the past two days.

Bench: 315 X 5 (2 sets), 295 X 7, 295 X 6
Smith Incline to Chin (my new favorite chest exercise): 4 plates X 8 (3 sets)
Flat DB presses: 95's X 10 (3 sets)
Hammer bench (plate load): 6 plates x 8 (3 sets)
Rope pushdowns: 125 X 20 (3 sets)
Single rope pushdowns across body (kind of made this up today): 45 X 15 (3 sets each arm)

Will be hitting back and calves Thursday.

Not a strong day for you would be a "very strong" day for me for chest. F**ckin beast!!!

joedemarco
10-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Not a strong day for you would be a "very strong" day for me for chest. F**ckin beast!!!

Lol...thanks, Kevin. It was just one of those days where I had to back off a little bit with the amount of weight. Everything just kind of "ached" and I was just experiencing overall body fatigue. I went into the gym yesterday planning on working up a little heavier on bench but it just wasn't the day. I think the day off today should really help me. Just going to eat all day and recover.

Hammerfit
10-27-2010, 10:07 AM
Lol...thanks, Kevin. It was just one of those days where I had to back off a little bit with the amount of weight. Everything just kind of "ached" and I was just experiencing overall body fatigue. I went into the gym yesterday planning on working up a little heavier on bench but it just wasn't the day. I think the day off today should really help me. Just going to eat all day and recover.

Eat Rest to Grow!

freebirdmac
10-27-2010, 10:08 AM
At least we know you're human :rolleyes:

:D

joedemarco
10-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Eat Rest to Grow!

I agree. The days off from the gym are just as important as the days in!

At least we know you're human :rolleyes:

:D

Yes, this should squash any alien rumors that have been going around the forum.....

joedemarco
10-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Just a solid back and calf workout today. Didn't go for any PR's today as my body is still recovering, to a certain extent, from the stress of Monday's workout.

Deads: Working sets: 455 X 5, 405 X 8, 405 X 8
Good Mornings: 315 X 8 (3 sets)
Wide Grip Pulldowns: 190 X 10 (5 sets)
Seated Cable Rows: 180 X 10 (3 sets)
Hammer Front Pulldowns: 4 plates X 10 (3 sets)

Standing Calves: Rack + 2 plates (660#) X 12 (6 sets)

Hitting legs tomorrow.

joedemarco
10-29-2010, 04:12 PM
Good solid leg day today. No PR's but I'm pretty beat. I trained with a buddy of mine who competes. I think a lot of you know what I am talking about when I say that there is nothing I enjoy more then "killing" a 26 year old bodybuilder in the gym on leg day. He limped out of the gym, possibly never to return for another workout....lol.

I resisted the urge to squat again, as I knew deep inside that I needed a break from it.

Leg Press: Felt pretty good. Was doing sets of 10 reps and worked up to 24 plates for 10 reps. Probably the toughest set was on the way back down I got 20 reps with 20 plates.

Hacks: Worked up to 10 plates for 10 reps for 2 sets. Also did a set with 12 plates for 6 reps (very challenging).

Stiff legged deads: 3 sets of 10 with 315

Leg Extensions: 3 drops sets

Hitting shoulders/biceps tomorrow in the A.M.

bryantone
10-29-2010, 08:40 PM
24 Plates!!. Either your gym has a lot of plates or people were flipping you the bird behind your back waiting for you to give some up. Now I am going to go out into the garage/gym and work mine with___plates! I left the number blank out of sheer embarassment

joedemarco
10-29-2010, 09:13 PM
24 Plates!!. Either your gym has a lot of plates or people were flipping you the bird behind your back waiting for you to give some up. Now I am going to go out into the garage/gym and work mine with___plates! I left the number blank out of sheer embarassment

Lol...we have a lot of plates at my gym. There's 45's everywhere you look.

Baldiewonkanobi
10-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Taking my piss ant little 20 plates leg press and gonna sulk in the corner......N:pT

Baldie

joedemarco
10-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Taking my piss ant little 20 plates leg press and gonna sulk in the corner......N:pT

Baldie

I'm proud of how hard you having been banging away at legs. You are gonna show those 60 and 70 guys some serious wheels next year. I look forward to watching you take both divisions in Pitt.

joedemarco
11-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Hit shoulders and biceps Saturday and legs today. Really hit legs hard and gave it everything I had. I'm pretty fatigued at the moment.

Squats: Several warm-ups prior to working sets. 455 X 6 for 3 sets, 405 X 12, 365 X 17 (pain X 10). I squatted again today with wraps and power belt. Definitely adds weight to my squat.

Three sets of leg extensions with lots of slow negatives. Three sets of leg curls with the same.

I'm noticing some great growth in my legs. Bought a new pair of pants last week and had to buy a size 32 because I can't get the 29s or 30s up over my ass...lol.

Chest/triceps tomorrow.

Hammerfit
11-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Hit shoulders and biceps Saturday and legs today. Really hit legs hard and gave it everything I had. I'm pretty fatigued at the moment.

Squats: Several warm-ups prior to working sets. 455 X 6 for 3 sets, 405 X 12, 365 X 17 (pain X 10). I squatted again today with wraps and power belt. Definitely adds weight to my squat.

Three sets of leg extensions with lots of slow negatives. Three sets of leg curls with the same.

I'm noticing some great growth in my legs. Bought a new pair of pants last week and had to buy a size 32 because I can't get the 29s or 30s up over my ass...lol.

Chest/triceps tomorrow.

The squat master at it again! I did the same thing with my jeans, pulled them out of the closet for the first time this year just to find out they wont go over my big ass!

Mac
11-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Chest/triceps tomorrow.

Next you will be needing new shirts too!!

joedemarco
11-02-2010, 08:21 AM
Woke up with some pretty stiff legs this morning. I'm sure they'll get more sore as the day goes on. Just had my favorite breakfast meal: egg whites/hash browns/toast. Looking forward to a good chest/tricep workout at lunch time.

joedemarco
11-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Day off today! I'm pretty happy about that. Hit chest/triceps yesterday. Workout went well and I am pretty sore this morning from it.

Bench: Several warm-ups prior to working sets. 315X6, 335X3, 315X5, 295X8, 285X8

Incline Bench: 225X10 for 5 sets

Flat DB: 95X10 for 5 sets (I think I actually only got 9 on the last two sets)

Dips: Just with body weight for pump/burn: Sets of 25, 25, 20, 20

Rope pushdowns: 125 X 20 for 5 sets (reps get kind of partial on last couple of sets)

One arm cable pushdown(I do these starting from chest and push down at an angle until my arm is by my side): 55X15 (3 sets)

Overhead cable triceps: 125X15 (3 sets)

KevinCouch
11-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Day off today! I'm pretty happy about that. Hit chest/triceps yesterday. Workout went well and I am pretty sore this morning from it.

Bench: Several warm-ups prior to working sets. 315X6, 335X3, 315X5, 295X8, 285X8

Incline Bench: 225X10 for 5 sets

Flat DB: 95X10 for 5 sets (I think I actually only got 9 on the last two sets)

Dips: Just with body weight for pump/burn: Sets of 25, 25, 20, 20

Rope pushdowns: 125 X 20 for 5 sets (reps get kind of partial on last couple of sets)

One arm cable pushdown(I do these starting from chest and push down at an angle until my arm is by my side): 55X15 (3 sets)

Overhead cable triceps: 125X15 (3 sets)

Great Workout Joe! You hit 200 pounds yet?

joedemarco
11-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Great Workout Joe! You hit 200 pounds yet?

No, I've been hanging at about 194-195. I kind of stalled out in the weight gain department over the past few weeks. I think my body had to adapt a little bit. I also made some changes to my diet. I feel like I'm back to adding on weight this week. I have definitely been staying fairly lean. I still have quite a bit of vascularity in my thighs and notice I still have some veins showing in my upper abs. I'm hoping to be up and over 200 by the end of the month.

joedemarco
11-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Hit back and calves today.

Deads: Several warm-ups, worked up to an attempt at 517 but missed. It will give me something to think about for another day. Then 425X7, 425X7, 315X20 (great pump on that set).

T-bar Rows: 5 platesX10, 6 platesX6, 6 platesX6, 5 platesX12, 5 platesX12

Wide pulldowns: 190X10 (4 sets), then 5th set was a drop set

Hammer Front Pulldowns(sets were one arm at time): 2 platesX10 (3 sets on each arm)

Standing Calves: 660X12 (5 sets), did a drop set all the way down to about 150 lbs on the 6th set.

That was all she wrote. Legs tomorrow.

Hammerfit
11-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Joe I have seen people do the HS pulldowns w one arm before but never understood the logic since there is a separate lever for each arm?

joedemarco
11-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Joe I have seen people do the HS pulldowns w one arm before but never understood the logic since there is a separate lever for each arm?

I know what you are saying. However, it is a little different pump by doing one arm at a time. Between the extended stretch on one arm and the fact that you have to stabilize yourself with your other arm/torso, it seems to hit some different areas. I do it one arm at a time some days, and both arms other days.

Mac
11-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Between the extended stretch on one arm

This is why I do it and I can twist my body at different angles.

joedemarco
11-04-2010, 04:11 PM
This is why I do it and I can twist my body at different angles.

Yes, doing one arm at a time definitely has a different feel to it. You're absolutely right about how the torso will actually twist on the way up. You can't go as heavy on the single arm stuff but I like the pump.

Hammerfit
11-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Yes, doing one arm at a time definitely has a different feel to it. You're absolutely right about how the torso will actually twist on the way up. You can't go as heavy on the single arm stuff but I like the pump.

I'll give that a try, sometimes I turn around backwards and do that machine w no support and grap the end of the lever arms instead of the handles.

AnglicanBeachParty
11-05-2010, 10:41 AM
No, I've been hanging at about 194-195. I kind of stalled out in the weight gain department over the past few weeks. I think my body had to adapt a little bit. I also made some changes to my diet. I feel like I'm back to adding on weight this week. I have definitely been staying fairly lean. I still have quite a bit of vascularity in my thighs and notice I still have some veins showing in my upper abs. I'm hoping to be up and over 200 by the end of the month.

Wow, you are definitely getting thick! Great work, Joe!

joedemarco
11-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Wow, you are definitely getting thick! Great work, Joe!

Thanks, ABP...this has been a really productive off season so far.

joedemarco
11-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Legs today. Wanted to keep reps high today.

Leg Press: Sets of 20 reps with 18, 20, and 22 plates (2 sets). Then dropped back down to 18 plates for a final set of 35 reps (ouch!).

Hacks: 10 plates for 3 sets of 12.

Smith step back lunges: Did sets one leg at time. 4 plates for 3 sets of 12 on each leg.

Finished with 5 sets of leg extensions and 5 sets of prone leg curls.

Shoulders/biceps in a.m.

Baldiewonkanobi
11-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Joe I am glad I just read this. :hypno: Legs tomorrow and I want to high rep to the max. I have an airplane barf bag in my WO bag. I will keep it handy. Since I have witnessed you train these are not just words...I only dream of such a leg workout these days. 25 years ago...maybe.

Baldie

joedemarco
11-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Joe I am glad I just read this. :hypno: Legs tomorrow and I want to high rep to the max. I have an airplane barf bag in my WO bag. I will keep it handy. Since I have witnessed you train these are not just words...I only dream of such a leg workout these days. 25 years ago...maybe.

Baldie

Good luck with legs tomorrow. Hopefully you won't need the bag (although a good barf on leg day once in a while isn't necessarily a bad thing...lol)

I've been having a great off season getting stronger and putting on size. The kid (26 y.o.) I killed on leg day a couple of weeks ago was actually tougher then I thought. He loved the pain...lol...and has been training with me ever since. It is the first time in many years that I have had a good training partner. He's a bodybuilder so he wants to hit it hard every workout. It has been great for both of us. We make each other get those extra couple of reps on each set. For example, I was ready to stop at 30 reps today with the 18 plates and the son of a bitch made me do 5 more!!!

joedemarco
11-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Hit shoulders and biceps today. It took me a little longer then usual to warm-up today. I am combination of "sore all over" and fatigued. I REALLY need my day off tomorrow. Once I warmed up, I felt pretty good. Of course, now that I've finished, I'm hurting all over once again...lol.

Did a couple of different things today as I was open to suggestions from my workout partner. Shoulder workouts had been feeling a little stale lately.

Seated DB Presses: 85X10, 95X8, 95X8, 95X8, 85X12
Rear Delts leaning chest on incline bench followed right into a set of shrugs while in same position: 65'sX10 (rear delts) X 10 (shrugs)...did three sets of these
Anterior delts on incline bench by using a fly motion with DB from hips up to above eyes: 35X12 (3 sets) (Don't know if my explanation makes sense.)

Standing alternating DB curls: 50'sX10, 55 X 8, 55 X 8, 50 X 10
Single DB preacher curls: 40 X 8 (3 sets each arms)
Killer Cable curl drop sets: Did 2 sets - dropped the weight by increments of 20 pounds starting at 135. Did 10 reps (or so) with each weight all the way up the weight stack.

Will be spending the next 36 hours resting and eating as much as I possibly can!

KevinCouch
11-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Hit shoulders and biceps today. It took me a little longer then usual to warm-up today. I am combination of "sore all over" and fatigued. I REALLY need my day off tomorrow. Once I warmed up, I felt pretty good. Of course, now that I've finished, I'm hurting all over once again...lol.

Did a couple of different things today as I was open to suggestions from my workout partner. Shoulder workouts had been feeling a little stale lately.

Seated DB Presses: 85X10, 95X8, 95X8, 95X8, 85X12
Rear Delts leaning chest on incline bench followed right into a set of shrugs while in same position: 65'sX10 (rear delts) X 10 (shrugs)...did three sets of these
Anterior delts on incline bench by using a fly motion with DB from hips up to above eyes: 35X12 (3 sets) (Don't know if my explanation makes sense.)

Standing alternating DB curls: 50'sX10, 55 X 8, 55 X 8, 50 X 10
Single DB preacher curls: 40 X 8 (3 sets each arms)
Killer Cable curl drop sets: Did 2 sets - dropped the weight by increments of 20 pounds starting at 135. Did 10 reps (or so) with each weight all the way up the weight stack.

Will be spending the next 36 hours resting and eating as much as I possibly can!

Keep it goin Joe!! You're a Machine!!

joedemarco
11-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Keep it goin Joe!! You're a Machine!!

Thanks but right now the only machine I feel like is the Tin Man from the Wizard Of Oz before Dorothy put some oil on him......lol. I am a sore hurting unit tonight.

KevinCouch
11-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Thanks but right now the only machine I feel like is the Tin Man from the Wizard Of Oz before Dorothy put some oil on him......lol. I am a sore hurting unit tonight.

"if he bleeds we can kill it" You are human afterall...Just rest and eat Joe.

joedemarco
11-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Don't usually do this, but on a completely non-training note, one of my pups is about to give birth any minute. Will post pics and videos later today. My kids are sooooo excited...lol.

Baldiewonkanobi
11-07-2010, 11:14 AM
I love puppies. A common event in our home over the years. Now my adult children have multiple dogs in their homes. When I visit them I get at least one sleeping on my feet. I am now sadly dog free.

Have a grand day.

Baldie

joedemarco
11-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Long day yesterday. The first pup arrived around 10 or 11 in the morning and the fourth (and final) pup came out about 6 p.m. It was just amazing. My kids, wife, and I had a great day watching this all happen. It's just amazing how the momma dog knows exactly what to do.

Back to bodybuilding now but just wanted to share. Hitting legs later today.

Here is a pic of momma dog and her 4 pups:

joedemarco
11-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Been crazy busy around here between work, puppies, family, and training. Had a solid leg workout yesterday and chest/triceps today. Tomorrow is my regular day off. However, I am not training legs again on Friday. I am going to use it as extra day off this week. I have been doing the 2X a week leg thing for a while now and want to give them a little extra rest. My thought is extra rest on this Friday and killer squat day the following Monday.

Hammerfit
11-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Been crazy busy around here between work, puppies, family, and training. Had a solid leg workout yesterday and chest/triceps today. Tomorrow is my regular day off. However, I am not training legs again on Friday. I am going to use it as extra day off this week. I have been doing the 2X a week leg thing for a while now and want to give them a little extra rest. My thought is extra rest on this Friday and killer squat day the following Monday.

Good thinking, I was thinking along the same lines, but I'm have been splitting them into hams on mon and quads on fri so Im going to do both together on mon and fri for awhile which will cut my volume way down

joedemarco
11-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Good thinking, I was thinking along the same lines, but I'm have been splitting them into hams on mon and quads on fri so Im going to do both together on mon and fri for awhile which will cut my volume way down

Yeah, it's just for this week. I just need a little extra recovery. I'll be back to the 2 leg workouts a week next week. I think overall the double leg workouts have been helping substantially. My legs have never been so big and lean (considering I'm months out from a show).

Baldiewonkanobi
11-09-2010, 05:21 PM
I do double leg days...have to keep the stimulus to grow constant. I was doing double arm days...mission accomplished.

Randee loved her puppies so much. We kept the darker one in this pic (Lhasa Apsos) and it was a sad day when I had to give her and the mom/dad up before moving to Az. Found amazing loving homes.

Baldie

joedemarco
11-10-2010, 09:12 AM
I do double leg days...have to keep the stimulus to grow constant. I was doing double arm days...mission accomplished.

Randee loved her puppies so much. We kept the darker one in this pic (Lhasa Apsos) and it was a sad day when I had to give her and the mom/dad up before moving to Az. Found amazing loving homes.

Baldie

My wife and I really like the Lhasa Apsos. Have thought about get one someday. We plan on buying a farm in the next couple of years and then watch out! Dogs will be every where...lol.

I agree with the two sessions per week on legs (or any weaker body part). I have been getting great stimulation and growth from it. I've been pounding hard on legs and I know they need Friday off. I'm looking forward to the extra rest/growth day. It should make for a great leg workout on Monday.

joedemarco
11-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Had my regular day off Wednesday, and then took yesterday off as well since I am not doing my second leg session this week. Felt really good to get the back to back days off. My body needed it. I am just looking for solid workouts this week and will go at it hard on Monday.

This morning was back and calves.

Deads: 405 X 10 (3 sets)
Knee to Hip Pulls for speed/power: Did this at the suggestion of Matt Cena today. Used very light weight (135) and did 3 sets of 25 reps with very little rest between sets. Basically blasted as fast as I could from knees to hips in a deadlift type motion. A move taken from Westside Barbell Club.
Seated Cable Rows: 200 X 10-12 (4 sets)
Wide Pulldowns: 180 X 12 (5 sets)
Standing Calves: 405 X 20 (5 sets)

Solid workout. Body is feeling good once again. Will hit shoulders/biceps tomorrow. Looking for a BIG leg day on Monday. Holding a very lean 195 at the moment.