PDA

View Full Version : Pectus excavatum?

GREENMACHINE23
08-09-2010, 07:55 PM
A friend of mine has found out that his 14 yr old son has pectus excavatum.
His son is being teased, so he asked me if I knew of any bodybuilders who have this condition and if it could be hidden by adding more muscle to the area? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Chris Pearce
08-09-2010, 08:06 PM
A friend of mine has found out that his 14 yr old son has pectus excavatum.
His son is being teased, so he asked me if I knew of any bodybuilders who have this condition and if it could be hidden by adding more muscle to the area? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure about bodybuilders, buy Matt Hughes has a pectus excavatum. He's filled out his chest pretty nicely... but then again I think it depends on the severity of the situation

http://www.matt-hughes.com/images/wallpapers/wpmatthughes11-800.jpg

Tell the kid to because a D1-Collegiate wrestler, turn MMA, and kick all those kids' asses.

B7emm
08-09-2010, 08:06 PM
my little boy has a slight one also it seems the be less noticeable as he ages. my little brother who power lifts has a very slight one and you wouldn't know if he didn't point it out it was bad when he was 13 or so. from what i remember any way

Easyday
08-09-2010, 10:06 PM
I actually have this disorder myself; I have a couple friends that have it as well. I did some research on it and it appears that it is as rare is 1 in 300 births. Each case has its on severity. Most people do not even notice mine; some have said that they thought I just "had big abs." Since your chest caves in and your rib cage flares out it can create the illusion that you have a "gut". Ofcourse the leaner you get, and the more you fill your chest out; the better it will look. I showed my chest to a bber judge and he told me that a man had this disorder and won several huge bb shows. Do not let this drag you down and create negativity; use it as motivation and be the guy that overcomes. If you do resort to surgery; there are two different types of surgical procedures that can be performed and the recovery time for both is nearly a year. IMO this is not necessary; hence pectoralis excavatum does not cause breathing irregularities. Hope this helps.

GREENMACHINE23
08-09-2010, 10:22 PM
I actually have this disorder myself; I have a couple friends that have it as well. I did some research on it and it appears that it is as rare is 1 in 300 births. Each case has its on severity. Most people do not even notice mine; some have said that they thought I just "had big abs." Since your chest caves in and your rib cage flares out it can create the illusion that you have a "gut". Ofcourse the leaner you get, and the more you fill your chest out; the better it will look. I showed my chest to a bber judge and he told me that a man had this disorder and won several huge bb shows. Do not let this drag you down and create negativity; use it as motivation and be the guy that overcomes. If you do resort to surgery; there are two different types of surgical procedures that can be performed and the recovery time for both is nearly a year. IMO this is not necessary; hence pectoralis excavatum does not cause breathing irregularities. Hope this helps.

Thank you, I will pass this on to my friend.

GREENMACHINE23
08-09-2010, 10:24 PM
I'm not sure about bodybuilders, buy Matt Hughes has a pectus excavatum. He's filled out his chest pretty nicely... but then again I think it depends on the severity of the situation

http://www.matt-hughes.com/images/wallpapers/wpmatthughes11-800.jpg

Tell the kid to because a D1-Collegiate wrestler, turn MMA, and kick all those kids' asses.

I will pass this on.

my little boy has a slight one also it seems the be less noticeable as he ages. my little brother who power lifts has a very slight one and you wouldn't know if he didn't point it out it was bad when he was 13 or so. from what i remember any way

Thanks bro! I know all of this info will help my friend's son in dealing with this.

shorty9
08-17-2010, 09:24 PM
I actually have the opposite, not sure what the scientific term for it is, but have always had people say "pigeon chested" or make comments about my sternum protruding like the scene from Aliens.... I wrestled all through highschool-103lbs,then 112lbs,119lbs,then 125lbs, so it was obviously something I couldnt really hide. and being skin and bones before it was hard not to notice. Anyway, it was something that used to bother me alot. I would wear a wife beater, undershirt and another shirt on top to try to hide it. Im 25 now, and weigh a little more then i did in HS. I fluctuate between 180-190lbs pretty lean at 5'6". so as i filled out it became less and less noticeable. have competed successfully several times and actually like the way my chest looks now-makes me look even thicker then I am. what Im trying to say is let him know that it will get better, and as he gets older it will be less noticable and as he matures it wont bother him as much, also I have a cpl friends who have the issue(excavatum) and as they have gotten older it actually makes them look wider if that makes sense.
-hope this helps even though it isnt that same issue, actually the exact opposite, but during adolescents anything that makes you different or stand out can be tough and kids can be cruel. tell him to keep his chin up, be proud of who he is, and if he isnt already into lifting get him started and that will help with the selfesteem and self confidence immensely. it worked for me, and if it werent for my chest I prob never would have found this great sport(BB) or taken it as far as I have.
Cheers, shorty

shorty9
08-17-2010, 09:27 PM
like easyday said also the surgeries to repair this are kind of extreme. I talked to a dr.and he basically described opening my chest up like they do for some heart surgeries, and recovery time for it was btw 6months and 18months. if possible avoid surgery, if for no other reason then bc most insurance companies consider it a cosmetic procedure and will not cover it unless certain circumstances exist...