PDA

View Full Version : Chris Benoit's father to appear on Nightline

~gymdiva~
08-26-2010, 03:37 PM
from pwinsider.com:

By Mike Johnson on 2010-08-26 15:42:58

Michael Benoit, the father of the late Chris Benoit, will be appearing tonight at 10 PM on ABC's Nightline Prime to discuss the Benoit family tragedy.

I had thought about posting this in muscle central but decided to just post it here....how do you think this will go?

Gaoshang Xiongshou
08-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Not good at all!!!

Hit-Girl
08-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Sounds Interesting

jtexas
08-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Not sure how this will go down....curious enough to watch though.

Wrex
08-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Benoit was my idol growing up. Very sad how things turned out.

swoleoneday
08-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Ok, so its been just over 3 years since the murder/suicide and they are JUST NOW putting him on TV?!?!?!

This will completely turn into a wrestling bash fest.

~gymdiva~
08-26-2010, 11:17 PM
my guess is either he wasn't ready to address it or due to legalities he hasn't been able to...

I'm sure the Linda camp is enjoying the timing of this....

~gymdiva~
08-27-2010, 12:45 AM
recap courtesy of pwinsider.com:

By Terri Bey on 2010-08-27 00:32:29

The subject of the show is about how brains in murderers may work.

Mike Benoit said Chris always wanted to be a wrestler. The show gives an overview of Chris Benoit's career. Michael Benoit said the Benoit we saw in the ring was not the Benoit he knew. He said he knew Chris as a devoted dad. The show goes over the June 2007 murder/suicide. The show reveals that Chris Benoit looked up the prophet Elijah on the internet.. One story from Elijah was about how a prophet could rise a child from the dead and lay him on his own bed. They reveal that Daniel was laying in his bed.

Michael Benoit then said he watched tv 24 hours a day waiting to hear someone say something nice about his son, and he said it wasn't happening. He said the event was a nightmare.

Dr. Julian Bailes wanted to examine Chris' brain, and he said that Chris Benoit's brain had a neurobehavioral change much like the athletes' brains Dr. Bailes studied. They went over Benoit's being hit with chairs, ladders, etc. Michael said his son told him that he had so many concussions, he stopped counting.

The show talks about the media coverage of the case focusing on "roid rage." Toxology reports revealed that Chris Benoit had steroids in his system. Dr. Bailes said since the murders happened over the course of three days, he didn't think that roid rage which is a snap judgement/emotions. He didn't think roid rage explained his behavior. Michael questioned the roid rage explanation, and wanted answers so he allowed his son's brain for research.

Michael Benoit then talked about his son's accomplishments and he said his son destroyed that image in three days.

When brain was examined, the examination revealed Benoit's brain was extensively damaged. They talked about how Pittsburgh Steeler center Mike Webster was a shell of himself when he retired. Webster died homeless. Webster's brain was examined. They talk about a condition called CTE, which the doctor wants to call "Mike Webster's Disease." Dr. Bailes said Webster's and Benoit's brains were similarly damaged.

Michael Benoit said the research gave him a good understanding of what happened to his son. He still gets emotional hearing that his son's brain was heavily damaged. He said he thought that is why Chris suffered from insomnia, mood swings, and drank heavily right before the tragedy happened. He said Chris was going downhill. He said Chris had become an extremely religious person who could quote Bible Scriptures and that is not how Chris was. Dr. Bailes said in some cases a person with this sort of brain damage can develop a religiosity and he thinks it is very likely the case with Chris Benoit

Michael Benoit feels that if his son had not become a professional wrestler, Chris would still be alive.

The show revealed that WWE has questioned these medical findings and said that Michael Benoit's claim that head trauma cause his son's behaviour is impossible and said if Benoit had brain damage, he would not have been able to perform as a wrestler.

Michael Benoit , in response to those who say his son's brain damage is an excuse said, "What's their excuse?" and reiterated that his son's choice of profession was the reason his son committed the tragedy.

antonbrn
08-27-2010, 02:35 AM
A very sad thing for his dad to go thru.

swoleoneday
08-27-2010, 08:54 AM
I'm sure the Linda camp is enjoying the timing of this....

wouldn't surprise me if some politician help set this up to help make Linda look bad.