PDA

View Full Version : liver values (billy ruben) high?

jixxxer
03-18-2009, 09:47 AM
I finished a small test/deca cycle about 2 months ago. I recently did some blood work and everything was fine (test levels were avg.) but my liver (billy ruben) values were out of wack (high). So I did some more test and they were all negative. Im assuming the test are a result of the cycle, but I feel fine; Is this normal and will the values come back to normal range??? I have to go in to do an ultrasound on my liver tomorow. I hadnt told the doc i did a cycle yet mainly cause my wife works for him, she knows but still kinda awkward.

Tatyana
03-18-2009, 09:54 AM
It is bilirubin and yes it is normal to have elevated levels after a cycle.

Steroids increase you red blood cells, and when red blood cells die, the haemoglobin is converted to bilirubin, therefore more bilirubin.

I find it a bit odd that you are getting a liver scan if bilirubin is the only elevated liver marker.

Would you mind posting your liver function test with the units?

Also post the CBC from the same time please.

I do wonder if doctors are looking for excuses for further investigations to make more money.

jixxxer
03-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Tatyana; thanks for the quick response. Heres what i got for you. Billi (total)=2.7
Direct=0.9 indirect=1.8 measured in mg/deci liter (i guess) cbc normal ; white blood normal. red blood 5.35.

Thanks again!

Tatyana
03-18-2009, 10:19 AM
I have to convert to SI units:

total bili = 49 umol/L

direct/conjugated = 15 umol/L

indirect/unconjugated = 31 umol/L

More of your bilirubin is from the breakdown of RBCs (indirect/unconjugated), so it does fit with the increased RBCs from steroids.

The normal range for men is 4.3- 6.3, yours still could be slightly elevated for you.

If you don't want to take the test and want an excuse, tell him you have been taking aspirin and some paracetamol with codeine.

Did you have any other elevated liver enzymes?

While the bilirubin and indirect bilirubin and direct are high, the blood results lean towards the issue is pre-hepatic(before the liver), your next test was normal, so again, why is he doing a liver scan?

jixxxer
03-18-2009, 10:31 AM
So, should the levels go down eventually? I think whats happening is that the doc doent know why my billi is high and is trying to rule out everything? Like I said, I didnt tell him i did a cycle. The other test i was refering that we did was a tb, mono, and more blood work. The bili was high again on the second set of blood work. But really thanks; I appreciate your feedback and you sound like u know what your talking about!!!

Tatyana
03-18-2009, 10:44 AM
I think deca stays in your system for quite some time.

I will leave that to one of the lads to confirm though.

How high was your second test or did you give me the values for your second test?

Did you or are you taking any other drugs or supplements since your cycle?

jixxxer
03-18-2009, 10:50 AM
You are correrct about the deca. The results were from the second test, the first were similar. I took some clen (the liquid research) type but I got sick so quit and besides that I take an asprin, ephedrine and caffine tab every morning before my workouts.

Tatyana
03-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Ephedrine isn't broken down in the liver, but aspirin and caffeine are.

This is how your liver works, if it's enzyme systems for breaking down drugs are full, it won't process bilirubin, leading to higher levels of bilirubin.

The likelihood is that your elevated bilirubin levels are due to the deca, aspirin and caffeine elimination, however there are other liver issues and genetic disorders that could cause elevated bilirubin.

Was there any reason for having a blood test so soon after a cycle?

Do you have any other symptoms you were concerned about or did you want to know your test levels?

jixxxer
03-18-2009, 11:36 AM
I mainly wanted to know my test levels cause I felt like shit! And thats how it all started. I did a pct but I think the pct I got was way underdosed now that i found out more about ag-guys(dont waste your money). Being my wife works for the doc, it usually dont cost much if any out of pocket expense for me, so I gues I'll take the ultra sound and if nothing shows up, I'll let him know what I did.

heavyiron
03-18-2009, 01:17 PM
My billirubin has been elevated for 12 years even after 8 years off steroids. Mine ranges from 1.0-2.1 on blood tests throughout the year. Liv 52 and milk thistle will lower billirubin. I also like NAC.

The reference range at Labcorp is 0.1-1.2 mg/dl

needtogetaas
03-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Blood Work - What To Look For

We should all get bloodwork done before starting AAS so you can see for yourself the affects it is having on your body and to make sure you are as healthy/safe as possible.

Maybe this can help clear things up a bit.................

What Does Your Blood Test Mean?

Glucose: This is the chief source of energy for all living organisms. A level greater than 105 in someone who has fasted for 12 hours suggests a diabetic tendency. If this level is elevated even in a non-fasting setting one must be concerned that there is a risk for developing diabetes. This is an incredibly powerful test and can predict diabetes ten years or more before one develops the strict definition of diabetes which is levels greater than 120.

Sodium: This element plays an important role in salt and water balance in your body. A low level in the blood can be caused by too much water intake, heart failure, or kidney failure. A low level can also be caused by loss of sodium in diarrhea, fluid or vomiting. A high level can be caused by too much intake of salt or by not enough intake of water.

Potassium and Magnesium: These elements are found primarily inside the cells of the body. Low levels in the blood may indicate severe diarrhea, alcoholism, or excessive use of water pills. A very low level of magnesium in the blood can cause your muscles to tremble. Low potassium levels can cause muscle weakness and heart problems.

Chloride: Is an electrolyte controlled by the kidneys and can sometimes be affected by diet. An electrolyte is involved in maintaining acid-base balance and helps to regulate blood volume and artery pressure. Elevated levels are related to acidosis as well as too much water crossing the cell membrane.

BUN (Blood Urea Nitrogen): BUN is a waste product derived from protein breakdown in the liver. Increases can be caused by excessive protein intake, kidney damage, certain drugs, low fluid intake, intestinal bleeding, exercise, heart failure or decreased digestive enzyme production by the pancreas. Decreased levels are most commonly due to inadequate protein intake, malabsorption, or liver damage.

Creatinine: Creatinine is also a protein breakdown product. Its level is a reflection of the bodies muscle mass. Low levels are commonly seen in inadequate protein intake, liver disease, kidney damage or pregnancy. Elevated levels are generally reflective of kidney damage and need to be monitored very carefully.

Uric Acid: Uric acid is the end product purine metabolism. High levels are seen in gout, infections, high protein diets, and kidney disease. Low levels generally indicate protein and molybdenum (trace mineral) deficiency, liver damage or an overly acid kidney.

Phosphate: Phosphate is closely associated with calcium in bone development. Therefore most of the phosphate in the body is found in the bones. But the phosphate level in the blood is very important for muscle and nerve function. Very low levels of phosphate in the blood can be associated with starvation or malnutrition and this can lead to muscle weakness. High levels in the blood are usually associated with kidney disease. However the blood must be drawn carefully as improper handling may falsely increase the reading.

Calcium: Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the body. It is involved in bone metabolism, protein absorption, fat transfer, muscular contraction, transmission of nerve impulses, blood clotting, and heart function. It is highly sensitive to elements such as magnesium, iron, and phosphorous as well as hormonal activity, vitamin D levels, CO2 levels and many drugs. Diet, or even the presence of calcium in the diet has a lot to do with "calcium balance" - how much calcium you take in and how much you lose from your body.

Albumin: The most abundant protein in the blood, it is made in the liver and is an antioxidant that protects your tissues from free radicals. It binds waste products, toxins and dangerous drugs that might damage the body. Is also is a major buffer in the body and plays a role in controlling the precise amount of water in our tissues. It serves to transport vitamins, minerals and hormones. The higher this number is, the better. The highest one can reasonably expect would be 5.5.

Alkaline Phosphatase: Alkaline phosphatase is an enzyme that is found in all body tissue, but the most important sites are bone, liver, bile ducts and the gut. A high level of alkaline phosphatase in your blood may indicate bone, liver or bile duct disease. Certain drugs may also cause high levels. Growing children, because of bone growth, normally have a higher level than adults do. Low levels indicate low functioning adrenal glands, protein deficiency, malnutrition or more commonly, a deficiency in zinc.

Transaminases (SGTP) & (SGOT): These are enzymes that are primarily found in the liver. Drinking too much alcohol, certain drugs, liver disease and bile duct disease can cause high levels in the blood. Hepatitis is another problem that can raise these levels. Low levels of GGTP may indicate a magnesium deficiency. Low levels of SGPT and SGOT may indicate deficiency of vitamin B6.

Gamma-Glutamyltranserase (GGTP): Believed to be involved in the transport of amino acids into cells as well as glutathione metabolism. Found in the liver and will rise with alcohol use, liver disease, or excess magnesium. Decreased levels can be found in hypothyroidism and more commonly decreased magnesium levels.

Lactate Dehydrogenase (LDH): LDH is an enzyme found in all tissues in the body. A high level in the blood can result from a number of different diseases. Also, slightly elevated levels in the blood are common and usually do not indicate disease. The most common sources of LDH are the heart, liver, muscles, and red blood cells.

Total Protein: This is a measure of the total amount of protein in your blood. A low or high total protein does not indicate a specific disease, but it does indicate that some additional tests may be required to determine if there is a problem.

Iron: The body must have iron to make hemoglobin and to help transfer oxygen to the muscle. If the body is low in iron, all body cells, particularly muscles in adults and brain cells in children, do not function up to par. If this test is low you should consider getting a Ferritin test, especially if you are a female who still has menstrual cycles.

Triglycerides: These are fats used as fuel by the body, and as an energy source for metabolism. Increased levels are almost always a sign of too much carbohydrate intake. Decreased levels are seen in hyperthyroidism, malnutrition and malabsorption.

Cholesterol: Group of fats vital to cell membranes, nerve fibers and bile salts, and a necessary precursor for the sex hormones. High levels indicate diet high in carbohydrates/sugars. Low levels indicate low fat diet, malabsorption, or carbohydrate sensitivity.

HDL/LDL: LDL is the "bad cholesterol", which carries cholesterol for cell building needs, but leaves behind any excess on artery walls and in tissues. HDL is the "good cholesterol" which helps to prevent narrowing of the artery walls by removing the excess cholesterol and transporting it to the liver for excretion. A low HDL percentage frequently indicates diets high in refined carbohydrates and/or carbohydrate sensitivity.

CO2: The CO2 level is related to the respiratory exchange of carbon dioxide in the lungs and is part of the bodies buffering system. Generally, when used with the other electrolytes, carbon dioxide levels indicate pH or acid/alkaline balance in the tissues. This is one of the most important tests that we measure. Most people have too much acid in their body. If you garden you will know that it is very difficult to grow plants in soil where the pH is incorrect. Our blood is similar to soil in many respects and it will be difficult to be healthy if our body's pH is not well balanced.

WBC: White blood count measures the total number of white blood cells in a given volume of blood. Since WBCs kill bacteria, this count is a measure of the body's response to infection.

Hemoglobin: Hemoglobin provides the main transport of oxygen and carbon in the blood. It is composed of "globin", a group of amino acids that form a protein and "heme", which contains iron. It is an important determinant of anemia (decreased hemoglobin) or poor diet/nutrition or malabsorption.

Hematocrit: Hematocrit is the measurement of the percentage of red blood cells in whole blood. It is an important determinant of anemia (decreased), dehydration (elevated) or possible overhydration (decreased).

MCV: Thismeasures the average size of the red blood cells and their volume. These components together can indicate iron deficiency anemia (decreased), b12 (http://www.purepeptides.com/product_info.php?products_id=84)/folate deficiency anemia (increased), or rheumatoid arthritis (decreased).

LAB VALUES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Normal Lab Values

HEMATOLOGY
Red Blood Cells
RBC (Male) 4.2 - 5.6 M/µL
RBC (Female) 3.8 - 5.1 M/µL
RBC (Child) 3.5 - 5.0 M/µL
White Blood Cells
WBC (Male) 3.8 - 11.0 K / mm cubed
WBC (Female) 3.8 - 11.0 K / mm cubed
WBC (Child) 5.0 - 10.0 K / mm cubed
Hemoglobin
Hgb (Male) 14 - 18 g/dL
Hgb (Female) 11 - 16 g/dL
Hgb (child) 10 - 14 g/dL
Hgb (Newborn) 15 - 25 g/dL
Hematocrit
Hct (Male) 39 - 54%
Hct (Female) 34 - 47%
Hct (Child) 30 - 42%
MCV 78 - 98 fL
MCH 27 - 35 pg
MCHC 31 - 37%
Neutrophils 50 - 81%
Bands 1 - 5%
Lymphocytes 14 - 44%
Monocytes 2 - 6%
Eosinophils 1 - 5%
Basophils 0 - 1%

CARDIAC MARKERS
Troponin I 0 - 0.1 ng/ml (onset: 4-6 hrs, peak: 12-24 hrs, return to normal: 4-7 days)
Troponin T 0 - 0.2 ng/ml (onset: 3-4 hrs, peak: 10-24 hrs, return to normal: 10-14 days)
Myoglobin (Male) 10 - 95 ng/ml (onset: 1-3 hrs, peak: 6-10 hrs, return to normal: 12-24 hrs)
Myoglobin (Female) 10 - 65 ng/ml (onset: 1-3 hrs, peak: 6-10 hrs, return to normal: 12-24 hrs)

GENERAL CHEMISTRY
Acetone 0.3 - 2.0 mg%
Albumin 3.5 - 5.0 gm/dL
Alkaline Phosphatase 32 - 110 U/L
Anion gap 5 - 16 mEq/L
Ammonia 11 - 35 µmol/L
Amylase 50 - 150 U/dL
AST, SGOT (Male) 7 - 21 U/L
AST, SGOT (Female) 6 - 18 U/L
Bilirubin, Direct 0.0 - 0.4 mg/dL
Bilirubin, Indirect total minus direct
Bilirubin, Total 0.2 - 1.4 mg/dL
BUN 6 - 23 mg/dL
Calcium (total) 8 - 11 mg/dL
Carbon dioxide 21 - 34 mEq/L
Carbon monoxide symptoms at greater than or equal to 10% saturation
Chloride 96 - 112 mEq/L
Creatine (Male) 0.2 - 0.6 mg/dL
Creatine (Female) 0.6 - 1.0 mg/dL
Creatinine 0.6 - 1.5 mg/dL
Ethanol 0 mg%; Coma: greater than or equal to 400 - 500 mg%
Folic acid 2.0 - 21 ng/mL
Glucose 70 - 110 mg/dL (diuresis greater than or equal to 180 mg/dL)
HDL (Male) 25 - 65 mg/dL
HDL (Female) 38 - 94 mg/dL
Iron 52 - 169 µg/dL
Iron binding capacity 246 - 455 µg/dL
Lactic acid 0.4 - 2.3 mEq/L
Lactate 0.3 - 2.3 mEq/L
Lipase 10 - 140 U/L
Magnesium 1.5 - 2.5 mg/dL
Osmolarity 276 - 295 mOsm/kg
Parathyroid hormone 12 - 68 pg/mL
Phosphorus 2.2 - 4.8 mg/dL
Potasssium 3.5 - 5.5 mEq/L
Protein (total) 6.0 - 9.0 gm/dL
SGPT 8 - 32 U/L
Sodium 135 - 148 mEq/L
T3 (http://www.eclenbuterol.com/t3-cytomel-p189.html) 0.8 - 1.1 µg/dL
Thyroglobulin Less than 55 ng/mL
Thyroxine (T4) total 5 - 13 µg/dL
Total protein 5 - 9 gm/dL
TSH Less than 9 µU/mL
Urea nitrogen 8 - 25 mg/dL
Uric acid (Male) 3.5 - 7.7 mg/dL
Uric acid (Female) 2.5 - 6.6 mg/dL

LIPID PANEL (ADULT)
Cholesterol (total) Less than 200 mg/dL desirable
Cholesterol (HDL) 30 - 75 mg/dL
Cholesterol (LDL) Less than 130 mg/dL desirable
Triglycerides (Male) Greater than 40 - 170 mg/dL
Triglycerides (Female) Greater than 35 - 135 mg/dL

URINE
Color Straw
Specific Gravity 1.003 - 1.040
pH 4.6 - 8.0
Na 10 - 40 mEq/L
K Less than 8 mEq/L
Cl Less than 8 mEq/L
Protein 1 - 15 mg/dL
Osmolality 80 - 1300 mOsm/L

24 HOUR URINE
Amylase 250 - 1100 IU / 24 hr
Calcium 100 - 250 mg / 24 hr
Chloride 110 - 250 mEq / 24 hr
Creatinine 1 - 2 g / 24 hr
Creatine Clearance (Male) 100 - 140 mL / min
Creatine Clearance (Male) 16 - 26 mg / kg / 24 hr
Creatine Clearance (Female) 80 - 130 mL / min
Creatine Clearance (Female) 10 - 20 mg / kg / 24 hr
Magnesium 6 - 9 mEq / 24 hr
Osmolality 450 - 900 mOsm / kg
Phosphorus 0.9 - 1.3 g / 24 hr
Potassium 35 - 85 mEq / 24 hr
Protein 0 - 150 mg / 24 hr
Sodium 30 - 280 mEq / 24 hr
Urea nitrogen 10 - 22 gm / 24 hr
Uric acid 240 - 755 mg / 24 hr

COAGULATION
ACT 90 - 130 seconds
APTT 21 - 35 seconds
Platelets 140,000 - 450,000 / ml
Plasminogen 62 - 130%
PT 10 - 14 seconds
PTT 32 - 45 seconds
FSP Less than 10 µg/dL
Fibrinogen 160 - 450 mg/dL
Bleeding time 3 - 7 minutes
Thrombin time 11 - 15 seconds

CEREBRAL SPINAL FLUID
Appearance clear
Glucose 40 - 85 mg/dL
Osmolality 290 - 298 mOsm/L
Pressure 70 - 180 mm/H2O
Protein 15 - 45 mg/dL
Total cell count 0 - 5 cells
WBC's 0 - 6 / µL

HEMODYNAMIC PARAMETERS
Cardiac Index 2.5 - 4.2 L / min / m squared
Cardiac Output 4 - 8 LPM
Left Ventricular Stroke Work Index 40 - 70 g / m squared / beat
Mean Arterial Pressure 70 - 105 mm Hg
Pulmonary Vascular Resistance 155 - 255 dynes / sec / cm to the negative 5
Pulmonary Vaslular Resistance Index 255 - 285 dynes / sec / cm to the negative 5
Right Ventricular Stroke Work Index 7 - 12 g / m squared / beat
Stroke Volume 60 - 100 mL / beat
Stroke Volume Index 40 - 85 mL / m squared / beat
Systemic Vascular Resistance 900 - 1600 dynes / sec / cm to the negative 5
Systemic Vascular Resistance Index 1970 - 2390 dynes / sec / cm to the negative 5
Systolic Arterial Pressure 90 - 140 mm Hg
Diastolic Arterial Pressure 60 - 90 mm Hg
Central Venous Pressure 2 - 6 mm Hg; 2.5 - 12 cm H2O
Ejection Fraction 60 - 75%
Left Arterial Pressure 4 - 12 mm Hg
Pulmonary Artery Systolic 15 - 30 mm Hg
Pulmonary Artery Diastolic 5 - 15 mm Hg
Pulmonary Artery Pressure 10 - 20 mm Hg
Pulmonary Artery Wedge Pressure 4 - 12 mm Hg
Pulmonary Artery End Diastolic Pressure 8 - 10 mm Hg
Right Atrial Pressure 4 - 6 mm Hg
Right Ventricular End Diastolic Pressure 0 - 8 mm Hg

NEUROLOGICAL VALUES
Cerebral Perfusion Pressure 70 - 90 mm Hg
Intracranial Pressure 5 - 15 mm Hg or 5 - 10 cm H2O

ARTERIAL VALUES
pH 7.35 - 7.45
PaCO2 35 - 45 mm Hg
HCO3 22 - 26 mEq/L
O2 sat 92 - 100%
PaO2 80 - 100 mm Hg
BE -2 to +2 mmol/L

VENOUS VALUES
pH 7.31 - 7.41
PaCO2 41 - 51 mm Hg
HCO3 22 - 29 mEq/L
O2 sat 60 - 85%
PaO2 30 - 40 mm Hg
BE 0 to +4 mmol/L

Hormone / antagonist Life stage Value
Progesterone (nanograms per milliliter or nano-moles per liter) < 1.0 ng/ml
(< 3.18 nmol/L)
17-Hydroxyprogesterone (nanograms per deciliter or nano-moles per liter) 5 –250 ng/dl
( 0.15 –7.5 nmol/L)
Estradiol (picograms per milliliter or pico-moles per liter) < 60 pg/ml
(< 185 pmol/L)
FSH (units per liter) 1.0 –12.0 U/L

LH (units per liter)
2.0 –14.0 U/L
SHBG (nano-moles per liter) 6–50 nmol/L
Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) (nanograms per deciliter or nano-moles per liter) 180 –1250 ng/dl
( 6.24 –43.3 nmol/L)
Dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEAS) (micrograms per deciliter) 10 –619 µg/dl
Androstenedione (nanograms per milliliter) 0.8-2 ng/ml
Androstenediol (nanograms per milliliter) 0.2-2 ng/ml
Total testosterone - morning sample (nanograms per deciliter or nano-moles per liter) 270 –1070 ng/dl
(9.36 –37.10 nmol/L)
Free testosterone - morning sample (picrograms per milliliter or pico-moles per liter) 20 –40 yr 15.0 –40.0 pg/ml (520 –1387 pmol/L)
41 –60 yr 13.0 –35.0 pg/ml (451 –1213 pmol/L)
61 –80 yr 12.0 –28.0 pg/ml (416 –971 pmol/L)
Prolactin (nanograms per milliliter) 0 –15 ng/ml