PDA

View Full Version : FST-7 and Keto diet...good idea?

DAVIDHARDY
03-18-2009, 09:53 AM
What do y'all think about this? I am not planning on prepping for a long time, but I wondered if this would be a good approach. I didn't think it would be, because FST-7 is pretty intense and it seems like you would lose a lot of muscle combining the two.

Mr. Hyde
03-18-2009, 10:13 AM
The 7 sets might total deplete your glycogen store but you never know, give it a try and monitor you progress and how you feel on it.

AlonePowers
03-18-2009, 12:48 PM
I agree FST-7 works better off-season when trying to bring up those stubborn bodyparts and you can drink something like Carbo Force halfway through the session. Now on pre-contest keto diet I dont think FST-7 would be an ideal training method.

DAVIDHARDY
03-18-2009, 07:39 PM
The 7 sets might total deplete your glycogen store but you never know, give it a try and monitor you progress and how you feel on it.

There would be no glycogen store in Ketosis

DAVIDHARDY
03-18-2009, 07:40 PM
I agree FST-7 works better off-season when trying to bring up those stubborn bodyparts and you can drink something like Carbo Force halfway through the session. Now on pre-contest keto diet I dont think FST-7 would be an ideal training method.

That's what I was thinking. I use it now, but I don't take any during workout supplementation. Maybe I'll bring in some apple juice to drink about half way through.

Mr. Hyde
03-19-2009, 01:11 AM
There would be no glycogen store in Ketosis

You do have some glycogen stores from the indirect carbs you eat. Your body also produces glycogen from aminos when it needs to. Im pretty sure your body can produce over 200g of glycogen a day without eating any carbs at all.

DAVIDHARDY
03-19-2009, 06:04 AM
You do have some glycogen stores from the indirect carbs you eat. Your body also produces glycogen from aminos when it needs to. Im pretty sure your body can produce over 200g of glycogen a day without eating any carbs at all.

OK, I thought you were refering to like on normal days when you eat a good amount of carbs. I see what you're saying.

becks
03-19-2009, 08:51 AM
It would depend on your supplementation pre and intra-workout and if you refeed once per week or only have a weekly cheat meal.

I am following the FST-7 program while using a ketogenic diet with great results. My workout supplementation is:

Pre-Workout
-2 scoops White Flood

Intra-Workout
- 2 scoops Purple Wraath
- 10g Glutamine
- 10g Creatine

I carbohydrate load once per week and find that my pump through the "7" is great. FST-7 works great to deplete glycogen and each week my body responds better to the carbohydrate load.

DAVIDHARDY
03-19-2009, 09:17 AM
It would depend on your supplementation pre and intra-workout and if you refeed once per week or only have a weekly cheat meal.

I am following the FST-7 program while using a ketogenic diet with great results. My workout supplementation is:

Pre-Workout
-2 scoops White Flood

Intra-Workout
- 2 scoops Purple Wraath
- 10g Glutamine
- 10g Creatine

I carbohydrate load once per week and find that my pump through the "7" is great. FST-7 works great to deplete glycogen and each week my body responds better to the carbohydrate load.

Nice post. Do you think that your pump could be coming from sodium and water since you are ketogenic and glycogen stores are so low? I've noticed that when I eat a lot of sodium and drink lots of water throughout the day that my pumps are better than if not.

becks
03-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Nice post. Do you think that your pump could be coming from sodium and water since you are ketogenic and glycogen stores are so low? I've noticed that when I eat a lot of sodium and drink lots of water throughout the day that my pumps are better than if not.

Sodium does make a difference for sure as it ensures a proper electrolyte balance, keeping muscles full.

I do notice that towards the end of the week with glycogen stores becoming depleted my pump and energy diminish a little.

thepump
03-20-2009, 10:08 PM

i too agree on this method for one reason. new, no matter how intense, is good and we can't tell by words. once you do it, if you get the results you want than its for you and if not than dump it and find what does- the old school method..... trial and error. everybodies body is different.

wish you luck keep us up to date

Kiyoshi Moody
08-06-2009, 01:02 PM
i too agree on this method for one reason. new, no matter how intense, is good and we can't tell by words. once you do it, if you get the results you want than its for you and if not than dump it and find what does- the old school method..... trial and error. everybodies body is different.

wish you luck keep us up to date

:beerbang: very true!!!! I'm on the keto diet and my training is not staying between 4 to 8 reps> its more moderate to high reps with moderate to heavy weight!!! We will see if it works!!!!

Steve56
08-06-2009, 02:00 PM
What do y'all think about this? I am not planning on prepping for a long time, but I wondered if this would be a good approach. I didn't think it would be, because FST-7 is pretty intense and it seems like you would lose a lot of muscle combining the two.

You might do well on it but for me it would be an epic disaster...fst-7 would be too much volume if you're on a keto diet!! because correct me if i'm wrong fst 7 would consist of lets say for chest

- incline barbell bench.....3-4 sets 6-8 reps
- falt barbell bench......3 sets 8-12 reps
- hammer incline press.. 2-3 sets 6-10 reps

and then for your 7's you pick an isolation movement like cable crossovers and do 7 sets 12-15 reps with only like 30-45 seconds rest...

If thats the case i would figure that after a while you might burnout doing this while on a keto diet...i know i would but you might be different!!!

Scoobysnacks
08-06-2009, 04:01 PM
It would be to much for me, personally. But, Im one of those that needs an all day 800-1200 type carb refeed every 7th day when doing keto or I stop functioning. When I do keto I lower volume.