03-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Off-season protein source and white rice or potatoes

Keto diet I'll have 8oz lean steak and a small salad

MichaelWayne
03-18-2009, 04:40 PM
1 cup broccoli, 1 cup brussel sprouts, 6-8oz top round w/ 4oz Tilapia

Voland
03-18-2009, 06:16 PM
aminos, fruit and chicken or protein shake and fruit (banana, apples, berries...).

Allifit
03-18-2009, 08:06 PM
Pre contest: 2 scoop protein shake (zero carb zero sugar protein) with water and splenda

Off season: 2 scoop protein shake with water, splenda, and glutamine, and usually either a larabar, apple, or some peanut butter rice cakes for some extra carbs and sugar

NPCfigure
03-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Whey Shake with glutimine...off season I will add some oatmeal to it

Allifit
03-19-2009, 09:33 AM
I'm noticing a lot of people are eating slower digesting carbs after their workouts- i.e oatmeal... what is the principle behind that? I went to school for wellness and sport science and I think one of the first important pieces of info I learned regarding replentishing muscles after a rigorous workout is that your muscles are in need of the energy ASAP...and therefore need faster digesting carbs, preferably with some glucose... ie. rice cakes, fruit, I even know some bbers that eat a handful of gummi bears etc.....
Fast digesting protein and carbs are essential, to get them into your body as soon as possible. Everyone knows certain slower digesting carbs like oatmeal, sweet potatos, and rice take longer to reach the muscles.... in order to spike your insulin levels fast digesting carbs and some glucose (sugar) are ideal...

I'm not criticizing I'm just curious as to why something like oatmeal would be ideal for a post workout meal.

stephaniewicked
03-19-2009, 10:57 AM
1 scoop whey (mixed with 8-10 oz. water), 2 rice cakes!

It's portable so I can leave it in my gym bag all day while I'm at work/school and then I can eat it in the locker room post-lifting before I go back out for cardio...

buckimscl
03-19-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm noticing a lot of people are eating slower digesting carbs after their workouts- i.e oatmeal... what is the principle behind that? I went to school for wellness and sport science and I think one of the first important pieces of info I learned regarding replentishing muscles after a rigorous workout is that your muscles are in need of the energy ASAP...and therefore need faster digesting carbs, preferably with some glucose... ie. rice cakes, fruit, I even know some bbers that eat a handful of gummi bears etc.....
Fast digesting protein and carbs are essential, to get them into your body as soon as possible. Everyone knows certain slower digesting carbs like oatmeal, sweet potatos, and rice take longer to reach the muscles.... in order to spike your insulin levels fast digesting carbs and some glucose (sugar) are ideal...

I'm not criticizing I'm just curious as to why something like oatmeal would be ideal for a post workout meal.

Alli, you are in line with everything I've read and seen. Adding slow digesting carbs post wo is not recommended.

KEVDIESEL
03-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Chicken breast and any kind of noodles or rice.

fitcorps
03-19-2009, 11:09 AM

You are right Alli, but I think it depends on how a person is dieting. If they are dieting very low carbs or manipulating carbs by "timing" them, their glycogen levels will be quite low and by mixing whey (which increases insulin release) with a more complex/slower digesting carbohydrate they can still initiate an insulin response and take advantage of depleted glycogen. Some people may opt to do this to limit fat storage and others may do it because the rapid increase from in insulin from something like dextrose can cause stomach discomfort as well as a sharp drop in blood sugar creating some people to get a severe hunger feeling.

Personally, unless VERY deep into prep, I utilize both methods:

-IMMEDIATE POST WO: 20-40 Grams WMS or Vitargo/7 Grams BCAA/7 Grams Glutamine/3-5 Grams Creatine

-20-25 Min POST WO: 40 Grams Whey or 11 Egg Whites/30-40 grams carbs from Oats or Sweet Potato

I find using WMS is much better for me as Vitargo or Dextrose can cause a rapid drop in blood sugar and I feel aweful. WMS may not spike insulin as much but it does shuttle nutrients with great effectiveness due to its molecular weight.

Allifit
03-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Alli, you are in line with everything I've read and seen. Adding slow digesting carbs post wo is not recommended.

Rock on:) I just noticed when I posted that a lot of the other responses included slow digesting carbs- or worse, things like veggies etc. I was just wondering what their theory was behind that decision making process. Obviously pre contest I don't eat any kind of sugar period, I switch to two plain rice cakes post workout then 4 weeks out its just a protein shake... but offseason those muscles need fuel.... and as I said to my knowledge that fuel best comes from fast digesting carbs...

Allifit
03-19-2009, 11:20 AM
You are right Alli, but I think it depends on how a person is dieting. If they are dieting very low carbs or manipulating carbs by "timing" them, their glycogen levels will be quite low and by mixing whey (which increases insulin release) with a more complex/slower digesting carbohydrate they can still initiate an insulin response and take advantage of depleted glycogen. Some people may opt to do this to limit fat storage and others may do it because the rapid increase from in insulin from something like dextrose can cause stomach discomfort as well as a sharp drop in blood sugar creating some people to get a severe hunger feeling.

Interesting point. When dieting for a show I obviously don't use that method... I don't intake sugar pre contest. So I was referencing my off season strategy. Following an intense workout, your muscles are depleted and are thirsty for replenishment. Therefore most of the calories ingested at this time will be soaked up by the muscles, making less calories available to be stored as fat. In order to maximize the gains you made during your workout the objective should be to replentish the muscles ASAP by shuttling protein and carbohydrates to the body. So I guess imo logic says those carbs should be fast digesting. Your body is the most suceptible to being anabolic or catabolic post workout (building or lean muscle or breaking down of lean muscle). I understand the theory on something like detrose causing stomach upset esp. if you're dieting seriously. However everything I've read or studied seems to circle around the fact that simple sugars help in the absorption of protein- which is again ideal in building muscle and helping to place the body in an anabolic rather then catabolic state...

Shadow
03-19-2009, 11:30 AM
8 oz of some type of meat (usually lean beef) and white rice.

fitcorps
03-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Interesting point. When dieting for a show I obviously don't use that method... I don't intake sugar pre contest. So I was referencing my off season strategy. Following an intense workout, your muscles are depleted and are thirsty for replenishment. Therefore most of the calories ingested at this time will be soaked up by the muscles, making less calories available to be stored as fat. In order to maximize the gains you made during your workout the objective should be to replentish the muscles ASAP by shuttling protein and carbohydrates to the body. So I guess imo logic says those carbs should be fast digesting. Your body is the most suceptible to being anabolic or catabolic post workout (building or lean muscle or breaking down of lean muscle). I understand the theory on something like detrose causing stomach upset esp. if you're dieting seriously. However everything I've read or studied seems to circle around the fact that simple sugars help in the absorption of protein- which is again ideal in building muscle and helping to place the body in an anabolic rather then catabolic state...

Off season, I completely agree!:D

hulk7280
03-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Pre contest: 2 scoop protein shake (zero carb zero sugar protein) with water and splenda

Off season: 2 scoop protein shake with water, splenda, and glutamine, and usually either a larabar, apple, or some peanut butter rice cakes for some extra carbs and sugar

why do u take so much protien in?

i cant imagine ur lbm being more then 130 lbs or so..

also... fruit isnt the best thing to eat after workout since fruit is maily composed of fructose which doesnt replenish muscle glycogen and in maily replishes liver glycogens..

Voland
03-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Article about post-workout nutrition.

http://www.momentummedia.com/articles/cm/cm0902/refueltank.htm

Lethal Threath
03-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Offseason - 100g marshmallows 50g whey isolate

Pre-contest - 1/2 cup mixed nuts 50g whey isolate

Jer
03-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Well Alli, to answer your question, I said egg whites and sweet potato because Tammy asked what our post workout MEAL was. I don't consider my waxy and bcaa's a meal, but that's what I take in immediately post workout.

I agree with your post workout nutrition thoughts for the most part, but people have all sorts of different diet methods.

BIG AL WILLIAMS
03-19-2009, 06:37 PM
offseason-50 grams of isolate mixed with waximaize,creatine,and 2 scoops of Xtend.
1 hour later-8 oz. beef with 2 cups white rice.
cutting-50 grams of isolate mixed with creatine and 2 tablespoons of natural peanutbutter.

Allifit
03-19-2009, 09:49 PM

also... fruit isnt the best thing to eat after workout since fruit is maily composed of fructose which doesnt replenish muscle glycogen and in maily replishes liver glycogens..

lol contest weight I'm 128-130. Off season 155.... last off season I was. Currently I'm 145....

and I usually take 2 scoops immediately after a workout- each scoop is 20grams so its 40grams...not too much...

fitcorps
03-20-2009, 08:49 AM

lol contest weight I'm 128-130. Off season 155.... last off season I was. Currently I'm 145....

and I usually take 2 scoops immediately after a workout- each scoop is 20grams so its 40grams...not too much...

I think it's working...she's developing an amazing body.:bowdown:

hulk7280
03-20-2009, 12:18 PM
I think it's working...she's developing an amazing body.:bowdown:

sometimes people look the way they do despite what they do.. NOT because of what they do..

I find one of the biggest mistakes bodybuilders make is taking too much protien in..

a lot of times people take so much protien in.. then they have to lower there carbs like crazy and think they are just carb sensative..

when thats not the case, its just they are taking in too much protien..

hulk7280
03-20-2009, 12:20 PM

i bet if you lowered your protien to around 150-175 a day you would find u could eat much more carbs and stay lean..

fitcorps
03-20-2009, 01:04 PM
sometimes people look the way they do despite what they do.. NOT because of what they do..

I find one of the biggest mistakes bodybuilders make is taking too much protien in..

a lot of times people take so much protien in.. then they have to lower there carbs like crazy and think they are just carb sensative..

when thats not the case, its just they are taking in too much protien..

That is a very good point.

Allifit
03-20-2009, 03:33 PM
i bet if you lowered your protien to around 150-175 a day you would find u could eat much more carbs and stay lean..

I dont have any problem staying lean lol... I only ever need a 8-9 week diet cause I lean out so fast...

Allifit
03-20-2009, 03:35 PM
I only take in 40 g at two meals....and I eat 5 meals a day. I added up my protein count from yesterday and it was 185

hulk7280
03-20-2009, 06:01 PM
I dont have any problem staying lean lol... I only ever need a 8-9 week diet cause I lean out so fast...
just tryin to help.. besides its always better have more carbs :p

it sounded like u kill urself to get lean at the end since u dont even have any postworkout carbs at 4 weeks out..

sassy69
03-20-2009, 07:21 PM

I'll throw this out as a 'rule of thumb' that maybe is more a 'rule of thumb' than has been proven, but I go by women having the ability to metabolize about 35 g of protein in one sitting. Too much more than that is just becomes excess.

BigJD69
03-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Whey Isolate Shake right after training 1 hour after Chicken, Beef,or Fish with Veggies and a salad.

Allifit
03-21-2009, 09:22 AM
just tryin to help.. besides its always better have more carbs :p

it sounded like u kill urself to get lean at the end since u dont even have any postworkout carbs at 4 weeks out..

I actually don't consider my diet "killing" at all. It's very manageable for me. I'm cranky the last week when we cut my carbs and subsequently my water but aside from that I tend to be a happy dieter...

Joshua H
03-25-2009, 11:01 PM
I have 3/4 cup dry measure cream of rice (106 grams carbs) with tropical orange crystal light added in for flavor. I also have 40 grams whey isolate with 5 grams glutamine and creatine monohydrate mixed in.

I then eat a whole food meal 2 hours later which is just my next whole food meal what ever that might be.

This is for my offseason protocol of course.

The Ultimate Warrior
04-10-2009, 10:37 PM
OFFSEASON: 2 scoops whey, 50 grams dextrose
1 hour later - 9 ounces flank steak, 1 cup basmati rice
PRE CONTEST: 1.5 scoops whey isolate, 25 grams dextrose
1.5 hour later - 12 ounces tilapia with asparagus