PDA

View Full Version : Most Brutal training mehods for you?

HeavyDutyGuy
03-18-2009, 03:23 PM
What are the most brutal training methods you've tried? For me it has to be forced reps and rest pause. FR done at point of failure, with just enough assistance to complete 2 or 3 reps is damn tough. And RP done with a maximum weight, 10 sec pause, another max rep, til I hit 4 is just brutal as well. Preexhaustion is quite grueling as well. I find negatives fun and rewarding but best done sparingly or in cycles. I also tend to cycle the RP and other techniques, based on energy levels, strength and recent progress. Anyone have their own favorite highly productive tortures- I mean methods?

Mongdog
03-18-2009, 03:28 PM
I am a big fan of giant sets. I feel that they hit every single muscle fiber, since every exercise hits them differently. My legs have grown like crazy from incorperating them.

Ninja Loco
03-18-2009, 03:28 PM
What are the most brutal training methods you've tried? For me it has to be forced reps and rest pause.
Agreed.

anthony1992
03-18-2009, 03:59 PM
I think forced reps and drop sets and sometimes negatives at the end of a set

Wheels
03-18-2009, 04:11 PM
For me, it would be HIT training with minimal rest periods between sets, including RP/Partials/Negatives. Add to the aforementioned 7s on the last exercise and I'm dead !

Widow makers after Squats is fucking brutal, too.

buster12
03-18-2009, 04:42 PM
rest pause is insane!

MichaelWayne
03-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Forced reps w/ drop sets. Hate having 100lbs on the bar and it feels like a ton! LOL But love the pain afterwards.

HeavyDutyGuy
03-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Michael, that sounds like BFT. Did you try that or do you do it now?

chasebny
03-19-2009, 12:33 AM
I would say positive failure followed by heavier negatives. If you dont know what I mean, have your training partner press down while you resist on a curl machine.

DocGabri
03-25-2009, 08:51 AM
BFT was so fucking hard (RIP Trevor)....but also giant sets and real rest pause are brutals too...

Canuck_Muscle
03-25-2009, 09:11 AM
I would have to say for me it would be drop sets. I will usually do a triple dropset sometimes for the last 2 sets of 2 exercises for certain bodyparts and it is killer.

xxterxx
03-25-2009, 12:27 PM
giant sets for me.... its gets the body part which havent been sore in ages to get sore again...

and the best way to shock ur muscles is actually taking 1-2 weeks off training... and come back bigger and better

HeavyDutyGuy
03-25-2009, 02:18 PM
BFT was so fucking hard (RIP Trevor)....but also giant sets and real rest pause are brutals too...

Yeah it is. If you can do it- and recover- the gains are great though. A perfect diet, sleep and a great anabolic state are critical though. If you don't, or can't have all that youu can still take some of the ideas and use them, as you said. I miss Trevor, what a great guy!

mdvsony
03-25-2009, 07:51 PM
drops and negs....

especially on legs....makes me wanna cough breakfast up...

HeavyDutyGuy
03-25-2009, 08:12 PM
drops and negs....

especially on legs....makes me wanna cough breakfast up...

I hear ya! How do you do your negatives on legs?

orhochris
03-27-2009, 10:33 AM
double rest pause and extreme stretching.

Diabetic Muscle
04-02-2009, 11:37 PM
I tried this tonight and OMG! it burned. Leg ext and leg curls 15 each going from machine to machine with no rest between for 4 sets each. Follow that with squats and leg press all in under hour. Also calf raises on leg press 25 let the weight stretch for 10 seconds then another 25, 4 sets there to. Might not be much for you guys but did the job for me.

HeavyDutyGuy
04-03-2009, 02:23 AM
I tried this tonight and OMG! it burned. Leg ext and leg curls 15 each going from machine to machine with no rest between for 4 sets each. Follow that with squats and leg press all in under hour. Also calf raises on leg press 25 let the weight stretch for 10 seconds then another 25, 4 sets there to. Might not be much for you guys but did the job for me.

Funny you said this, because I was toying with the idea of trying something very similia for precontest cuts and variety. By the way, what type of diabetes do you have? I applaud you for taking control of your health and body bu bodybuilding, very cool!

chasebny
04-03-2009, 11:07 AM
When my lower back is aching, but my legs are ready to go, I like to alternate leg ext with leg curls, then leg press with smith SLDL. Usually really high volume to beat the thighs into submission.

Diabetic Muscle
04-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Funny you said this, because I was toying with the idea of trying something very similia for precontest cuts and variety. By the way, what type of diabetes do you have? I applaud you for taking control of your health and body bu bodybuilding, very cool!

I am type 1 and use an insulin pump. Kinda funny I have had at least 9 or 10 people comment on my funny looking mp3 player when they see my pump.

HeavyDutyGuy
04-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Lol. Just tell them it won't play "Sugar, Sugar". Seriously, though dude, that's inspirational. Very.

Diabetic Muscle
04-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Lol. Just tell them it won't play "Sugar, Sugar". Seriously, though dude, that's inspirational. Very.

lol thats funny. Thanks man I am actually planning to compete in 2011. Not really gifted in the genetics department but doing it for me.

HeavyDutyGuy
04-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Cool. Doing it for you is the most meaningful anyway. Good luck!

B7emm
04-14-2009, 11:42 PM
What are the most brutal training methods you've tried? For me it has to be forced reps and rest pause. FR done at point of failure, with just enough assistance to complete 2 or 3 reps is damn tough. And RP done with a maximum weight, 10 sec pause, another max rep, til I hit 4 is just brutal as well. Preexhaustion is quite grueling as well. I find negatives fun and rewarding but best done sparingly or in cycles. I also tend to cycle the RP and other techniques, based on energy levels, strength and recent progress. Anyone have their own favorite highly productive tortures- I mean methods?
super set legpress \ leg ext.. force reps and neg. to start the day than dead lifts. i felt like jello. but it works.

Mouse
04-15-2009, 07:43 AM
There was a time when I'd take all working sets to positive and negative failure. That was extremely taxing and took a few days to recover from. I haven't done that in a few years though.

Wiry Pyruvity
04-15-2009, 08:54 AM
with stubborn body parts i'll make one rep have 4 parts to it....think curls and 21s but more like 35s...as in each rep starts with a mini rep through five position through the range into a full rep...

chasebny
04-15-2009, 11:14 AM
For machine preachers-forced negatives. Having your partner push down as you resist is so much different then cheat up, slow down.

For squats-Drop sets. Going from 225 to 185 to 135 will make you want to die. But then again, true failure on squats is rare. So even that is brutal.

For chest-Forced reps followed by drop sets. Chest is hard for me to "brutalize".

For shoulders-Partials. Laterals to failure followed by partials burn my side head like no other.

HeavyDutyGuy
04-15-2009, 02:11 PM
You guys are sick! I love it, lol.. Some really good ideas here, keep 'em coming!

B7emm
04-15-2009, 08:10 PM
not to change the subject but did anyone ever see the mentzer H.I.T video. man that work out will make you sick it rocks. Heavy duty guy dident i see something about you knowing mike? That is cool i love his stuff i have every thing i can find on him. My bro. spoke on the phone with him not to long before he passed away very nice guy.

mr intensity
08-10-2009, 10:13 AM
rest pause+ only negatives+ dropsets..........

Mr. Hyde
08-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Rest Pause
Forced reps
Negitives
Drop sets (do 5-6 dropsets on the legs press and tell me how you walk the next day)