PDA

View Full Version : Walking/joggin Vs elliptical Vs steps Vs treadmill??

dzine2fit
09-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Was just wondering which burns more cals out of all these cardio exercises??

Personally I do steps machine and elliptical more but since I was fasting on and off this month I tired just jogging or go for morning walks for 60 mins in the morning. Now usually I never get issues with working out on the machines except for usual pain and aches but I noticed when I jog or brisk walk I get a pain on the side. Is it because I am not breathing properly while doing it or because walking/jogging is a more strenuous exercise then machines???Just confused is all, any input would help.

GirlyMuscle
09-06-2010, 07:55 PM
It's probably your breathing. I'm not an experienced runner so I can't tell you exactly how to fix the problem. I just remember reading something similar. I'm sure one of the runners will come along and tell you.

You also mentioned fasting. That's something you weren't doing while using ellipticals but you were when you ran. Might have something to do with it too.

dzine2fit
09-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks for responding GM, I actually did use machines as well while fasting just to see if it the same but its not.I remember when I first started doing any thing on stepmill or elliptical I couldn't last more then 20 mins but I gradually worked it up now its 45 mins to 60 mins. I do admit fasting makes it a lot tougher, I feel light headed after workout. That's why I only fast a few days rather then the whole month.Maybe its just me breathing in wrong I dunno I tried doing longer breaths ans short breath,let's see what people who run or walk say.

LisaRD23
09-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Now usually I never get issues with working out on the machines except for usual pain and aches but I noticed when I jog or brisk walk I get a pain on the side. Is it because I am not breathing properly while doing it or because walking/jogging is a more strenuous exercise then machines???Just confused is all, any input would help.

What you are refering to is called a "stich". Feels almost like a gas bubble?I used to run track in HS and I used to get it.

Usually it was from eating too close to running time, drinking too much water before/durning your run or not warming up correctly. Once you get used to running a bit more the feeling will go away. Even though you are use to "cardio" on lower impact machines, running is a whole other animal. Esp if you sprint.

Bona fide
09-08-2010, 05:18 PM
I think elliptical burns more calories bro...plus i like it alot because i can just listen to my music and sorta zone out.

And its perfect because if i need to study I can put my notes on the place holder and read while i do my cardio..

just my 2cents:)

Gerb
09-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Walking is great for fasted morning cardio. in the evening when I got more food in me, I prefer the eliptical.

Ibarramedia
09-09-2010, 02:46 AM
When it comes to building endurance and stamina for team sports like basketball, football, soccer, nothing beats running and cycling. For losing weight, all of the above is fine.

Gerb
09-09-2010, 07:08 AM
When it comes to building endurance and stamina for team sports like basketball, football, soccer, nothing beats running and cycling. For losing weight, all of the above is fine.

running yes, cycling? not so much IMO. I am a former competitive cyclist/also coached cycling for 6yrs and it always amazed me how many fat cyclist competed at a very high level.... however you never see a fat runner compete at a high level.

Pheedno
09-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Thats a spasm of the serratus anterior, which helps with respiration. Very common. You can google some self massaging techniques to strip the muscle out and it will be alleviated faster. It will also work itself out in time if you continue to jog

Ibarramedia
09-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Was just wondering which burns more cals out of all these cardio exercises??

Personally I do steps machine and elliptical more but since I was fasting on and off this month I tired just jogging or go for morning walks for 60 mins in the morning. Now usually I never get issues with working out on the machines except for usual pain and aches but I noticed when I jog or brisk walk I get a pain on the side. Is it because I am not breathing properly while doing it or because walking/jogging is a more strenuous exercise then machines???Just confused is all, any input would help.

What you are refering to is called a "stich". Feels almost like a gas bubble?I used to run track in HS and I used to get it.

Usually it was from eating too close to running time, drinking too much water before/durning your run or not warming up correctly. Once you get used to running a bit more the feeling will go away. Even though you are use to "cardio" on lower impact machines, running is a whole other animal. Esp if you sprint.

I used to get those a lot as a kid when we were running or playing games that required us to run.

Ibarramedia
09-09-2010, 01:07 PM
running yes, cycling? not so much IMO. I am a former competitive cyclist/also coached cycling for 6yrs and it always amazed me how many fat cyclist competed at a very high level.... however you never see a fat runner compete at a high level.

I guess it is a deviation from the norm. All I've seen on tv during the tour de France and local tours here were very skinny dudes cycling. Since you actually coached, I guess you have seen all kinds of body types cycling. Good thing about cycling is less pounding on the knees that you get from running especially is you are a big dude over 200-250+ range.

Parallel
09-17-2010, 04:39 PM
I prefer the stair stepper or treadmill, We have T.Vs at my gym and you can see them just fine when your on the stair stepper...makes your cardio go by much faster

dzine2fit
09-21-2010, 08:32 PM

So walking and running is harder then any cardio machines? I dont drink or eat in the morning before my cardio on walk/jogg/or for the gym just a caffein pill with a couple of sips of h20. I never warm up though or strech after any workouts. Maybe thats my problem anyways I posted this message and just forgot about it.I guess Ill give myself sometime and hopefully itll take care of itself.Thanks everyone for the input.

s2h
09-22-2010, 11:56 PM
It's probably your breathing. I'm not an experienced runner so I can't tell you exactly how to fix the problem. I just remember reading something similar. I'm sure one of the runners will come along and tell you.

You also mentioned fasting. That's something you weren't doing while using ellipticals but you were when you ran. Might have something to do with it too.i'm gonna go with GM on this one..i also get pains in my side if i dont control my breathing....

Ibarramedia
09-22-2010, 11:59 PM
The pains in the side will go away after repeated running. I used to get them all the time. Basically you will get used to it. I used to run miles and miles during practice for my sports teams and I also ran middle distance in high school.

Colin K
10-14-2010, 06:32 AM

Cardio is cardio in terms of weight loss and lung capacity, your body uses energy. The "fat" people just dont eat as well or may do less cardio than the slim ones.

There is no form of cardio better than another for burning fat. Its the intensity of training and control of diet that makes the difference.

irishmuscle
10-14-2010, 08:59 AM
Cardio is cardio in terms of weight loss and lung capacity, your body uses energy. The "fat" people just dont eat as well or may do less cardio than the slim ones.

There is no form of cardio better than another for burning fat. Its the intensity of training and control of diet that makes the difference.

Boom!

sassy69
10-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Calories in / Calories used. Simple.

My preferences are treadmill at a steep angle (currently limited to around "11" due to plantar fasciitis in my heels), walking (due to tweaky knees) and stepmill. I don't like Elliptical at all because there's no "lifting" of the feet - meaning there's always a pressure point on the ball of the foot - my feet tend to go numb after a while. (Actually happens on bike a bit too.)

miamibodybuilder
02-04-2011, 07:29 AM
well i use all sorts of cardio machines, but depending which session it is for me i'll either use HIIT or steady pace cardio. for AM cardio i usually use HIIT cardio and for my session after my training in the afternoon i use a steady pace. i think any cardio you do is great no matter what machine it is, just be sure to challenge yourself and not use level 1 unless you're a beginner or have some medical issues of course. but if you're a healthy individual, push yourself.

"Rodz"
02-06-2011, 04:52 PM

My preferences are treadmill at a steep angle (currently limited to around "11" due to plantar fasciitis in my heels), walking (due to tweaky knees) and stepmill. I don't like Elliptical at all because there's no "lifting" of the feet - meaning there's always a pressure point on the ball of the foot - my feet tend to go numb after a while. (Actually happens on bike a bit too.)

usually only takes 10 minutes before it happens to me

apex23
09-23-2011, 02:52 PM
We all know it's all about diet, but it's all about pushing yourself. My goal is rev my metabolism up well after I am done with cardio.

I Eat Therefore I Am
09-23-2011, 04:16 PM

That's why I stopped the elliptical too!

Conrad
09-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Stairmaster 100%. I was never a fan of it until I started taking the fat burner, N2 Burn. Makes the stairmaster a breeze