PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Hydes Training Log

Mr. Hyde
03-19-2009, 04:49 PM
I wanted to start a journal on here but i couldn't find the section, since im a natty i thought it would be cool to post in here. I trained MMA for over 3 years and always tried to stay around my 170 wieght class. I competed in many BJJ tournaments over the years. I always tried to combine Bodybuilding and MMA as best as i could but its very hard to do both. After suffering a bad rib break i decided i was going to give bodybuilding my full focus.
When i broke my rib i was training for a Muay Thai fight, i was going to compete in the 166lb class. I had a really short bulk but made some really fast and steady gains. I started my bulk at about 175 and begin my diet at 196. I am on a Keto diet and dropped to about 184 in 3.5 weeks. Even though i am dieting i am still making progress on alot of my lift so i wanted to start a log. My current training split is

Mon - Back/Traps
Tues - OFF
Wed - Chest/Bis
Thurs - Legs
Fri - OFF
Sat - Delts/Tris
Sun - OFF

I usaully do one work set for each excersise, sometimes two. I also use rest-pause for one excersise in every wokout.

I am thinking about doing a show in August. When i started training i was about 290-300lbs at only 5'8" tall (this was over 8 years ago) so i have come a long way since then. This all depends on the progress i make. I am a full time student and i also work about 30 hours a week so shit gets hecktic sometimes.

Mr. Hyde
03-19-2009, 09:26 PM
3/17. Carido in early afternoon 45 minutes on stepmill

Chest/bis (pm)

Low incline smith press
1p40 -9+2+2=13
Flat press machine
250 = 8 reps + 2 negitives
Decline fyles
50's = 9reps
50's = 10reps
Machine curls
110 = 7+3; (decreased weight) 90 = 5
Hammer Curls
45's = 10reps
45's = 10reps
E-z curls
30 (plates on ONE side) = 16 reps

For any barbell or plate loaded machines (hammer strength) i just put the amount of weight i have on ONE side. Every rep has a 3-4 negitive with an explosive positive.

Mr. Hyde
03-19-2009, 09:32 PM
3/18. Legs

Leg Press - 1,042.5lbs = 5 reps (PR)

Hack squat - 2p = 33reps

Leg Extension - 210 = 12 reps

Stiff Legs - 2p10 = 12 reps

Lying leg curls - 120 = 8+3+3 = 14

Standing Calf raise - 340 = 15 reps

Donkey Calf raise - 300 = 11reps

Calves where done with a Pause at the top extremely slow negitive and a 10 pause at the bottem.

Cario - 45 min on stepmill PWO

nutratroy
03-20-2009, 03:57 PM
great job bro- I am subscribed:popcorn:

Mr. Hyde
03-20-2009, 06:52 PM
3/20 Cardio / Abs

Stepmill 20min
Eliptical 10min
Tredill 15 min

The dates i posted above are off by one day but whatever i guess. Im gonna up the cardio this week to 45min, 6 days a week. I guess we will see what happens. I check my weight wednesday morning because i have my cheat meal wednesday nights.

thepump
03-20-2009, 09:35 PM
great workout. i dig your style.. how my body feels is how i train it. instictive training. keep us up to date bro thanks

Mr. Hyde
03-21-2009, 07:53 AM
great job bro- I am subscribed:popcorn:

great workout. i dig your style.. how my body feels is how i train it. instictive training. keep us up to date bro thanks

Thanks alot guys

Mr. Hyde
03-21-2009, 12:44 PM
3/21. Delts / Tris

Hammer Strength Overhead
2p - 6+4+4 = 14

High incline dumbell press
70's = 9reps
70's = 7reps
70's = 7reps

Seated side raises
25's = 15
35's = 10

Weighted dips
60lbs - 6+2 (dropped weight) 45lbs = 2

Close-grip smith press
1p35 - 4
1p25 - 6

Overhead dumbell extensions
105 - 4
95 - 8

Cardio
stepmill 20min
Tredmill 25min

Roughly 4 weeks on the Keto diet. I felt strong for delts but once i started tris i was really shot. Reguardless i am going to beat my last PR on the deadlift tomorrow!

Mr. Hyde
03-22-2009, 04:38 PM
3/22. Back/Traps

Deadlift - 405lbs - 5reps (havent done this since before my lower back injury)

T-rows machine -
4p - 8reps
4p - 8reps
4p - 8reps

Dumbell rows -
120's - 10reps
140's - 8reps
150's - 6reps

Pulldowns - 4 sets up to 180 for 10reps

Rear delt machine -
130 - 10reps
130 - 10reps
130 - 10reps

Dumbells shrugs -
140's - 12reps
140's - 12reps
140's - 12reps

Cardio
Stepmill 45 minutes

After the deadlift i was spent, i did 4 warmups before up to the 405 and tried to hit a single with 435 twice and didnt get it. I am going to have to revamp my training program for next week because i only have so much energy while dieting, i dont think i have it for the 1 brutual set at the moment. I change my program all the time, i love to train and it keeps me from getting bored. If i run the same porgram for over 4 week i will be highly surprised...lol. I dont know what kind of split i will run, i most likely wont know untill i get into the gym the next day i train.

Mr. Hyde
03-23-2009, 01:29 PM
I am i big fan of BCAA Pre and Post-work out, i have been for over a year now because thats just how i roll...lol. I always try to find new information about diet and training just like everybody else on this board. I found this study on EAA Pwo with and without carbohydrate intake which i found interensting so i am going to post it just in case anybody wants to read it.

American Physiological Society (http://www.the-aps.org/)

Carbohydrates offer some help in muscle protein synthesis, but not enough for the desired effect

(February 25, 2004) - Bethesda, MD – A visit to the meat counter at any supermarket is proof positive that a good number of Americans are avoiding carbohydrates and consuming high levels of protien and fat, in accordance with the Atkins diet. This carbohydrate-free, fat- and protein- rich diet is for those seeking immediate weight loss, which means most of us.

But what do others, such as weight lifters and callisthenic enthusiasts, do about carbohydrates? Their goal is muscle
(http://www.scienceblog.com/community/older/2004/1/2004734.shtml#)preservation and strengthening, but for years, different theories have been offered about the effectiveness of carbohydrates in maintaining an appropriate muscle protein balance. A new study may lead to a truce in the debate at the nation's gymnasiums, and those dedicated to resistance training may finally have an answer as to whether carbohydrates have a positive role in muscle development.

Background

Resistance exercise -- also called strength training -- increases muscle strength and mass, bone strength, and the body's metabolism. The different methods for resistance training include free weights, weight machines calisthenics and resistance tubing. When using free weights, dumbbells, and bars stacked with weight plates, you are responsible for both lifting the weight and determining and controlling your body position through the range of motion.

The body's net muscle protein balance (i.e., the difference between muscle protein synthesis and protein breakdown) generally remains negative in the recovery period after resistance exercise in the absence of nutrient intake, i.e., the muscle's protein is breaking down complex chemical compounds to simpler ones. However, it has been demonstrated that infusion or ingestion of amino acids after resistance exercise stimulates muscle protein synthesis. Furthermore, as little as six grams of essential amino acids (EAA) alone effectively stimulates net protein synthesis after a strenuous resistance exercise session.

The body's response to the six grams of EAA does not appear to differ when 35 grams of carbohydrates are added. This reflects the uncertainty of the independent effects of carbohydrates on muscle protein metabolism after resistance exercise. Additionally, it is unclear how carbohydrate intake causes changes of net protein balance between synthesis and breakdown and how it relates to changes in plasma insulin concentration.

Interpretation of the response of muscle protein to insulin is complicated by the fact that a systemic increase in insulin concentration causes a fall in plasma amino acid concentrations, and this reduced amino acid availability could potentially counteract a direct effect of insulin on synthesis. A past study found that the normal postexercise increase in muscle protein breakdown was slowed by insulin, thus improving net muscle protein balance. However, whereas local infusion of insulin may effectively isolate the effect of insulin per se, the response may differ from when insulin release is stimulated by ingestion of carbohydrates.

Source: February 2004 edition of the Journal of Applied Physiology. The journal is one of 14 peer-reviewed scientific journals published each month by the American Physiological Society (www.APS.org (http://www.aps.org/)).

The American Physiological Society (APS) was founded in 1887 to foster basic and applied science, much of it relating to human health. The Bethesda, MD-based Society has more than 10,000 members and publishes 3,800 articles in its 14 peer-reviewed journals every year.

Mr. Hyde
03-23-2009, 10:08 PM
3/23. Calves / abs / cardio

Tredmill 15min
Eliptical 15min
Stepmill 15min

meatheadio
03-24-2009, 07:53 AM
Like yourself I have been following the keto diet for a while now and am loving it. Just finished my 6th week and so far have dropped about 17lbs despite the fact my BF wasnt very high to begin with.
I feel your pain with the energy during workouts. My energy hasnt suffered very much and strength is just as good if not better than ever. However I feel that whilst following this diet the capacity for volume during the workout is reduced. Intensity should remain high but a reduction in volume/workout time is essential.
Remember that we're not going to be building any muscle whilst in calorie deficit so theres no point trying to "stimulate the muscle" any more than neccessary. Anything more than that is just breaking the muscle down further and wasting energy. The same could be said for off-season. Oertraining is one of the main reasons (aside from inadequete nutrition) that people never get the results that they want.

Best of luck with the diet.:)
PS- Id recommend a fibre supplement is you're not already using one.

Mr. Hyde
03-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Layne Norton posted this on some other board, short but sweet read.

Originally Posted by str8flexed http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/showthread.php?p=1399491#post1399491)
I have to disagree with this Kyle. Steroids induce protein synthesis and allow non-natural bodybuilders to train less frequently and make gains because global protein synthesis is upregulated constantly.

THe anabolic response to a workout is only 24-48 hours long. If you only train a bodypart 1x/week that means it grows for 1-2 days and just sits there doing nothing for 5-6 days.

I believe naturals need to train more frequently and with higher volume. The whole idea that training too often will cause overtraining is way overblown. It is damn near impossible to overtrain the muscular system. You would literally lose the mental drive to train before you'd ever overtrain your muscular system.

The problem is people associated soreness and fatigue with overtraining and unfortunately those are NOT markers of overtraining/recovery. The muscular system can damn near handle anything you throw at it. When I first started doing every bodypart 2x/week everyone kept telling me, you'll overtrain you'll overtrain you'll overtrain! And for the first few weeks I was sore, fatigued and felt like crap. But a friend of mine convinced me to push through it. After about 5 weeks my body had totally adapted and I felt great in the gym, my strength skyrocketed, and I hardly ever got sore anymore. It's called the 'repeated bout effect' whereby repeated training bouts induce the muscle to protect itself and prevent severe soreness. If you only train something once per week however, the body does not really need to upregulate this response. Most people when they train training each bodypart multiple times per week stop after the first week because they are so sore that they KNOW they are overtraining, if they just pushed through this they would find gains they never knew possible. But they are too scared of the 'overtraining' boogeyman that FLEX magazine has burned into their cerebellum.

I Have been training things 2x week for about 6 years now, and I would never be where I am if it wasn't for that, it is what made me as strong as I am. Let's look at my lifts

dumbbell bench press: 110s for 3 to 150s for 8
front squat: 245 X 6 to 415 X 5
back squat: 275 X 5 to 545 for a single
deadlift: 365 X 1 to 645 X 1

and I had been training for 5 years when I started my 2x/week training, so it's not like these were newbie gains. It also took my thighs from 22" chicken legs to 28"

The ultimate example would be the smolov squat routine. This routine was used by russian powerlifters and the first 3 week meso cycle calls for you to squat 4x/week HEAVY. Now that would overtrain me right? Certainly there is no way I'd grow on something like that? For the first week I felt like absolute dogshit, but after I got used to it, I was ok, my knees hurt a bit and I wouldn't recommend squatting 4x/week for long periods of time because of joint issues, but I PUT 25 LBS ON MY SQUAT IN 3 WEEKS AND ADDED 1/4" TO MY THIGHS BY 'Overtraining'.

/end rant http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gifOriginally Posted by str8flexed http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/showthread.php?p=1399491#post1399491)
I have to disagree with this Kyle. Steroids induce protein synthesis and allow non-natural bodybuilders to train less frequently and make gains because global protein synthesis is upregulated constantly.

THe anabolic response to a workout is only 24-48 hours long. If you only train a bodypart 1x/week that means it grows for 1-2 days and just sits there doing nothing for 5-6 days.

I believe naturals need to train more frequently and with higher volume. The whole idea that training too often will cause overtraining is way overblown. It is damn near impossible to overtrain the muscular system. You would literally lose the mental drive to train before you'd ever overtrain your muscular system.

The problem is people associated soreness and fatigue with overtraining and unfortunately those are NOT markers of overtraining/recovery. The muscular system can damn near handle anything you throw at it. When I first started doing every bodypart 2x/week everyone kept telling me, you'll overtrain you'll overtrain you'll overtrain! And for the first few weeks I was sore, fatigued and felt like crap. But a friend of mine convinced me to push through it. After about 5 weeks my body had totally adapted and I felt great in the gym, my strength skyrocketed, and I hardly ever got sore anymore. It's called the 'repeated bout effect' whereby repeated training bouts induce the muscle to protect itself and prevent severe soreness. If you only train something once per week however, the body does not really need to upregulate this response. Most people when they train training each bodypart multiple times per week stop after the first week because they are so sore that they KNOW they are overtraining, if they just pushed through this they would find gains they never knew possible. But they are too scared of the 'overtraining' boogeyman that FLEX magazine has burned into their cerebellum.

I Have been training things 2x week for about 6 years now, and I would never be where I am if it wasn't for that, it is what made me as strong as I am. Let's look at my lifts

dumbbell bench press: 110s for 3 to 150s for 8
front squat: 245 X 6 to 415 X 5
back squat: 275 X 5 to 545 for a single
deadlift: 365 X 1 to 645 X 1

and I had been training for 5 years when I started my 2x/week training, so it's not like these were newbie gains. It also took my thighs from 22" chicken legs to 28"

The ultimate example would be the smolov squat routine. This routine was used by russian powerlifters and the first 3 week meso cycle calls for you to squat 4x/week HEAVY. Now that would overtrain me right? Certainly there is no way I'd grow on something like that? For the first week I felt like absolute dogshit, but after I got used to it, I was ok, my knees hurt a bit and I wouldn't recommend squatting 4x/week for long periods of time because of joint issues, but I PUT 25 LBS ON MY SQUAT IN 3 WEEKS AND ADDED 1/4" TO MY THIGHS BY 'Overtraining'.

/end rant http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Mr. Hyde
03-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Like yourself I have been following the keto diet for a while now and am loving it. Just finished my 6th week and so far have dropped about 17lbs despite the fact my BF wasnt very high to begin with.
I feel your pain with the energy during workouts. My energy hasnt suffered very much and strength is just as good if not better than ever. However I feel that whilst following this diet the capacity for volume during the workout is reduced. Intensity should remain high but a reduction in volume/workout time is essential.
Remember that we're not going to be building any muscle whilst in calorie deficit so theres no point trying to "stimulate the muscle" any more than neccessary. Anything more than that is just breaking the muscle down further and wasting energy. The same could be said for off-season. Oertraining is one of the main reasons (aside from inadequete nutrition) that people never get the results that they want.

Best of luck with the diet.:)
PS- Id recommend a fibre supplement is you're not already using one.

Yea, my volume for the most part stays pretty low but once and i while i go into the gym and i just freestyle which leads to a couple of extra sets. Im starting to believe you can build "some" muscle on the diet if your nutrition and pre and post workout supps are on point. I've been getting stonger on my squat and deadlift since a started it which in my mind leads me to believe muscles are growning. I lost over 10lbs in 4 weeks or so and all my measurments stayed the same except my waist which went down almost 2 inchs. But my body responds to things very weird, i have hit muscles 3x a week for short periods to bust through stalling pointing and it works for me. Im being very honest i feel NO diffirent on keto then when i was eatting 3,500cal with up to 400g of carbs.

And i am taking a fiber supp, learned my lesson a couple of years back on that one...lol:D

Mr. Hyde
03-27-2009, 09:08 AM
3/25. Upper Body

Low incline smith press
2p - 3x5

Flat Dumbbells
90's - 3x5

Low incline flyes
55's - 3x5

Pull downs (must rather have down rack chins, but i have no partner to put weight on my lap).
225 - 3x5

T-rows
6p - x5
5p25 - 2x5

Bent rows
2p25 - 3x5

Overhead barbell press
35 - 3x5

This work out felt pretty good till i tried to do overhead press's at the end

Cardio

stepmill 45min

Mr. Hyde
03-27-2009, 09:17 AM
3/26. Lower

Squats
2p25 - 3x5

I havent squated in almost i year because i herniated a disc......squating. I could have handled more weight but im gonna progress slowly on these because my lower back will be jacked up for days if i go to heavy. If anyone knows of a really good weight belt i can order that would be awesome. I have one but i feel it does nothing.

Leg Press
990 - 3x5

Seated leg curls
250 - 3x8 ( this is as heavy as the machine goes which sucks because its awesome)

Leg Extensions
210 - 4x10

Donkey C.R.
350 - 3 sets

Seated C.R.
2p - 3 sets

Cardio
Tredmill 40min

I think i am going to start training a little more like this, same weight for 3 sets in a specific rep range. I love the one set to failure, i was doing it for about 2 months but with out a training partner it is very hard to do.

Im think i am gonna do low reps and then next workout higher reps. Not sure how im gonna set it up yet.

meatheadio
04-03-2009, 07:54 AM
Yea, my volume for the most part stays pretty low but once and i while i go into the gym and i just freestyle which leads to a couple of extra sets. Im starting to believe you can build "some" muscle on the diet if your nutrition and pre and post workout supps are on point. I've been getting stonger on my squat and deadlift since a started it which in my mind leads me to believe muscles are growning. I lost over 10lbs in 4 weeks or so and all my measurments stayed the same except my waist which went down almost 2 inchs. But my body responds to things very weird, i have hit muscles 3x a week for short periods to bust through stalling pointing and it works for me. Im being very honest i feel NO diffirent on keto then when i was eatting 3,500cal with up to 400g of carbs.

And i am taking a fiber supp, learned my lesson a couple of years back on that one...lol:D

I feel ya, I was getting about 300g of carbs before I started this diet (which is the highest I've ever gone) and now Im getting none and feel much better. Energy is more stable and predictable without the insulin swings and my acne prone skin is just about crystal clear. My strength had also steadily increased on core lifts and my joints have never felt better. Knees were starting to ache a little before starting diet but are feeling strong now.
Best of luck.

AVBG
04-06-2009, 09:58 PM
good work bro!

Mr. Hyde
04-14-2009, 12:09 PM
good work bro!

Thanks, i havent been posting because im dieting and making and breaking records really isnt going to happen to often!! If i happen to beat a PR or set a new one on a machine i never used i will post it. At the moment i have been running a 2day split over 4 days (M W F S) as the diet continues i might change to a 3 day split over the same days. I try the 1x a week thing but only when i need a little break from the weights or feel burnt out. I think once a week is just to long for the average trainee.

Mr. Hyde
04-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Last weeks cheat meal was not up to snuff IMO. I had a huge steak, egg and cheese platter with 3 pancakes. I at the time i didnt realize how small the pancakes where and just went with it. I don't think there was enought carbs in this meal because i felt run down about 2 days later. This sunday that just past i went to a all you can eat sushi place and took down 6 rolls and 9 pieces of sushi, i had to go take a nap right after...lol.
Next day i did back and pulled to new PR's 405x7 and 435x3. I pulled this weight before but never that many reps. I am very excited to break a PR on deads while dieting, extremely odd. Has anybody else broken PR while in Keto??

Mr. Hyde
04-20-2009, 12:21 PM
I was thinking about adding carbs in PWO, like Poliquin recomends. Has anybody done this? I would subtract the calories from fats for that day and add them to my shake in carbs. I used HIIT last year and it worked great and would like to use it again. I am already doing 45min of cardio 6 days a week, even if i work up to 1 hour its not gonna make a huge diffirences in calories and it is gonna be 6 hours a week on the tredmill which i really rather not do. Has anybody gone throught this on a keto diet?