PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Disorder

crashcrew56
03-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Ever since I've come back from Iraq I've had trouble sleeping at night, I fall asleep and can never stay asleep, I'm always waking up and tossing and turning. I'm always tired, even the rare nights where I actually have a solid night of sleep, I'm still soo tired the next day.

Is there anyone else out there that has the same problem, or anyone that knows something that could help me with this

BigJD69
03-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Did you see Action in Iraq? Maybe you have some stuff on your mind from being over there. You could poss. have sleep apnea. Does your wife or girlfriend tell you that you stop breathing in the middle of the night? If so get tested for the sleep apnea, I had it, got the surgery and do have much more energy during the day.

crashcrew56
03-19-2009, 11:06 PM
I didn't see any action while i was out there, but there was definetly some o shit moments, i do still think about Iraq my time in Iraq almost everyday.

I don't have a wife or gf, but there was a girl i was sleeping with on the regular for a little while, she didn't say anything about me stopping breathing in the middle of the night.

Sistersteel
03-20-2009, 02:25 AM
Crachcrew56,
I am sorry to hear of your troubles sleeping, soldier. I am not qualified to give medical advice, but before I resort to making assumptions on whether or not I think your problem is medical or psychological, I have a few things here for you to consider implementing that MIGHT help you out. If not, then you probably need to consult with a licensed professional who can better assist you.

I have terrible troubles sleeping. But my issue is a different one than yours.
I was accustomed to self medicating to sleep and so it has become very hard for my body to get unassisted rest.

Anyway, check these few things out. Try one or two or a combination until you have enough quality sleep to feel alert and well rested.

1. Stick to a schedule, and don't sleep late on weekends. If you sleep late on Saturday and Sunday morning, you'll get Sunday night insomnia. Instead, go to bed and get up at about the same time every day.

2. Don't eat or drink a lot before bedtime. Eat a light dinner about 2 hours before sleeping. If you drink too much liquid before sleeping, you'll wake up repeatedly in the night for trips to the bathroom.
Don't eat spicy or fatty foods. They cause heartburn.
Don't have a midnight snack. If you get the munchies, eat something that triggers serotonin, which makes you sleepy. Carbohydrates (bread or cereal) or foods containing the amino acid L-tryptophan (milk, tuna, or turkey) will do the trick.
Don't drink alcohol near bedtime. It may cause you to wake up repeatedly, snore and possibly develop sleep apnea.

3. Avoid caffeine and nicotine. They are addictive stimulants and keep you awake. Smokers experience withdrawal symptoms at night, and they have a harder time both falling asleep and waking up.

4. Exercise. If you're trying to sleep better, the best time to exercise is in the afternoon. Physical activity enhances the deep, refreshing stage of sleep.

5. A slightly cool room is ideal for sleeping. This mimics your internal temperature drop during sleep, so turn off the heat and save on fuel bills.
If you tend to get cold, use blankets. Try sleeping in warmer nightclothes and wear socks. Studies show that warm hands and feet induce sleep quickly.

If you overheat at night, wear light nightclothes and sleep under a single sheet. Use an air conditioner or fan to keep the room cool.
Use a dehumidifier if you are bothered by moist air. Use a humidifier if you are bothered by dry air. Signs of dry air irritation include a sore throat, nosebleeds or a dry throat.

6. Sleep only at night. Daytime naps steal hours from nighttime slumber. Limit daytime sleep to 20-minute, power naps.
If you work nights, keep window coverings closed so that sunlight, which interferes with the body's internal clock, doesn't interrupt your sleep.
If you have a day job and sleep at night, but still have trouble waking, leave the window covering open and let the sun's light wake you up.

7. Keep it quiet. Silence is more conducive to sleep. Turn off the radio and TV. Use earplugs, a fan or some other source of constant, soothing, background noise to mask sound that you cannot control, such as a busy street, trains, airplanes or even a snoring partner. Double-pane windows and heavy curtains also muffle outside noise.

8. Make your bed. If you share your bed, make sure there is enough room for two. Use your bed only for sleep and sex. Go to bed when you are tired and turn out the lights. If you don't fall asleep in 15 minutes, get up and do something else. Go back to bed when you are tired.
Do not agonize about falling asleep. The stress will only prevent sleep.

9. Soak and sack out. Taking a hot shower or bath before bed helps bring on sleep because they can relax the tense muscles.

10. Don't rely on sleeping pills. Check with your doctor before using sleeping pills. Make sure the pills won't interact with other medications or with an existing medical condition.

Use the lowest dosage and never mix alcohol and sleeping pills.
If you feel sleepy or dizzy during the day, talk to your doctor about changing the dosage or discontinuing the pills.
A great way to sleep well is definitely making sure you have the right mattress for you.

Sistersteel
03-20-2009, 02:29 AM
Could You Have a
Sleep Disorder?

I found this list of symptoms I thought I would share. Maybe this will help you determine better whether the problem is medical.

If you are spending enough time in bed and still wake up tired or feel very sleepy during the day, you may be one of the estimated 40 million
Americans with a sleep disorder.

The most common sleep disorders are insomnia, sleep apnea (sleep-disordered breathing), restless legs syndrome, and narcolepsy. Although sleep disorders can significantly affect your health, safety,
and well-being, they can be treated.

Talk to your doctor if you have any of these signs
of a sleep disorder:

■ You consistently take more than 30 minutes
each night to fall asleep.
■ You consistently awaken several times each
night and then have trouble falling back to sleep,
or you awaken too early in the morning.
■ You often feel sleepy during the day, you take
frequent naps, or you fall asleep at inappropriate
times during the day.
■ Your bed partner says that when you sleep, you
snore loudly, snort, gasp, make choking sounds,
or stop breathing for short periods.
■ You have creeping, tingling, or crawling feelings
in your legs or arms that are relieved by moving
or massaging them, especially in the evening
and when trying to fall asleep.
■ Your bed partner notices that your legs or
arms jerk often during sleep.
■ You have vivid, dreamlike experiences while
falling asleep or dozing.
■ You have episodes of sudden muscle weakness
when you are angry or fearful, or when you laugh.
■ You feel as though you cannot move when you
first wake up.

kratos47
04-05-2009, 05:45 AM
hey whats up guys. im really likeing these forums. theres an area for everthing:D i have severe insomnia. it got so bad that i would be awake for four days at a time and even then only kinda fall asleep for 2 hours at the most. finally i had to be addmitted to a mental health hospital. i was there for only one night. they gave some meds that didnt work so i was up another night in the hospital. it seemed like everything i tried wouldnt work. i had ambien for take home from a different hospital visit. i ended up taking up to four pills of that stuff and still couldnt sleep. im now finally having relief with the medication remeron. im still goin to bed pretty late but am at least able to sleep. im am very gratefull for that.

Sistersteel
04-05-2009, 08:44 PM
wow anabolic47 that certainly can be taxing on the nervous system. Have you been diagnosed with anything that has resulted in this type of insomnia? The only cases I have ever seen of people who have been unable to sleep for 4 days are those of people on meth or cocaine. I am glad to hear you are doing better now though. Keep coming back!

SS

kratos47
04-05-2009, 10:07 PM
yeah idk i had like over 100 fever. haha yeah no coke im just have alot goin on at home with my step dad.

crashcrew56
04-05-2009, 10:26 PM
wow 4 days, I could even imagine what that would be like

kratos47
04-06-2009, 01:24 AM
haha to put it simply. it was probably one of the worst feelings of my life. even after the first day of no sleep. i felt tired always,irritable,nausas and just generally terrible. it was really messing with my head cause i knew what this was doing the my body. i couldnt eat much. couldnt train. i was pretty much loosing it. i think the most depressing time was when i would be alone at night in the dark. i just felt so down and helpless:( that was deffinetly one of the hardest times of my life