PDA

View Full Version : What cardio works for you?

Scout200
10-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Love it or hate it, cardio exercises are vital. What do you do to burn calories and keep your heart rate up?

-Scout

Wrex
10-06-2010, 01:44 PM
I like doing intervials of walking and running on the treadmill (HIIT). For steady state cardio I walk on the treadmill on a incline, or the stepmill.

ScottyMac710
10-06-2010, 04:10 PM
i try to keep rest times short enough and intensity high enough during weight training to get a good cardio workout/calorie burn .. when i absolutely need to i got for low intensity on elliptical or bike and/or HIIT on elliptical - bad knees in the past from running so i avoid treadmill most of the time

oh and the stair climber is great for conditioning as well, but havn't used that one it a bit..

Pheedno
10-06-2010, 04:13 PM
walking on the tread, slow pace on the stepmill, or jogging.

Heavy Metal
10-13-2010, 01:23 AM
The exercise bike at home is great.
Dont have to go anywhere to use it.
Everytime I run/jog my ankle gets soft and weak-damn skateboarding injuries.
I'll have to try the stepper some more,seen a vid of Ronnie Coleman on one,so you know its good.

Scout200
10-13-2010, 09:25 AM
The exercise bike at home is great.
Dont have to go anywhere to use it.
Everytime I run/jog my ankle gets soft and weak-damn skateboarding injuries.
I'll have to try the stepper some more,seen a vid of Ronnie Coleman on one,so you know its good.

That would be nice to have equipment at home!!

GirlyMuscle
10-13-2010, 09:33 AM
Anything works for me...as long as my heart is where I need it to be (100-130). The only thing I don't do is treadmill since I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot. Typically, I use the bike (recumbent when I'm tired and lazy...upright when I really wanna hit it hard), and an arc trainer which is sort of a cross between an elliptical and a stepper.

coacher77
10-17-2010, 07:13 PM
I do HIIT training on the treadmill or in the field near my house. I am lucky enough to have about 20 acres of hilly woods near the house so hiking with the dog in the woods makes up the majority of my cardio.

GRAVESY
10-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Anything works for me...as long as my heart is where I need it to be (100-130). The only thing I don't do is treadmill since I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot. Typically, I use the bike (recumbent when I'm tired and lazy...upright when I really wanna hit it hard), and an arc trainer which is sort of a cross between an elliptical and a stepper.

love the Arc Trainer wish my gym had more, two basic and one with the moving arms.
Love to use it for Hill Interval Course when i have time or Just Intervals for some HIIT

WarmUp 5-10min walk on the treadmill or anytype of bike.

Also like to hit Thou the StairMaster is killer as well, again gym only has two.(R knee does bother me a little when i cross the 30min mark)
Will use the recumbant bike if i am toast.

Scout200
10-21-2010, 12:30 PM
I am lucky enough to have about 20 acres of hilly woods near the house so hiking with the dog in the woods makes up the majority of my cardio.

Wow, you're quite fortunate!!! That would be awesome!

coacher77
10-21-2010, 02:17 PM
I won't complain. It is actually a local church's land. You just have to watch out during deer season! Having the woods near the house makes my cardio much more enjoyable. I live in North Carolina so most of the winter is still pretty bearable to hike in.

Scout200
10-26-2010, 05:33 PM
I live in North Carolina so most of the winter is still pretty bearable to hike in.

I live in South Dakota - unfortunately I can't say the same! lol

Sledge
10-27-2010, 07:41 AM
I walk out the door and go for a run/walk/stagger/crawl.

I need to maintain a decent level of cardio vascular fitness for work. I find a combination of walk/sprint/walk/run/sprint/walk type combo combined with days of just moderate maintained run works well for me. I also cycle at a moderate pace to or from work daily.

I always do my resistance training separated by 12 hours from cardio training. i don't count walking as cardio training.

miamibodybuilder
01-06-2011, 05:43 PM
what i like to do is switch up machines during the session. i cant stick to one machine for too long, i'll go crazy, i'll do 10 mins on the stepper, 10 on the elliptical and 10 on the gauntlet, and sometimes the cybex machine also. i just switch it up between HIIT, and just a nice steady pace depending on how i feel and if it's before or after training. i usually do more HIIT in the morning and steady after training. but you gotta find what works best for you. like most of us here, trial and error is your best friend. good luck

8itup
01-06-2011, 06:40 PM
" What cardio works for you?
Love it or hate it, cardio exercises are vital. What do you do to burn calories and keep your heart rate up?"

Smashing hard several times a day.

kentuckyslim
01-11-2011, 09:22 AM
^ The Snooki smush smush?

Stepmill, nothing else comes close.

stephaniewicked
01-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Stepmill, nothing else comes close.

Word. Same for me! Start medium speed, throw the intensity up and run up the steps for a minute or two, then drop it down and catch my breath, repeat. I also skip steps, walk up backwards and sideways, etc... whatever it takes to get the job done, and make it a little more fun/challenging in the process! :)

miamibodybuilder
01-11-2011, 11:47 PM
i like to switch it up and keep it as interesting as possible man. sometimes i do HIIT and sometimes i do a nice steady pace. i also switch up machines every 10 or 15 mins, i cant stay on one machine more than that i'll go out of my mind and that has worked well for me actually. i've always just done one machine for whatever time and it was hell. but switching it up has been great and it works for me so i'm going to keep doing it. i dont hate cardio but i dont love it either.

FitnBuf
01-12-2011, 12:30 AM
Stepmill....I am hooked