PDA

View Full Version : what do u guy's think about MAX-OT training?

red barraca
02-11-2009, 10:02 AM
i never really belived in it,low rep heavy weight shit,yes if your a powerlifter this style of training would work very well.

Strikerrjones
02-11-2009, 12:55 PM
I really like it. I find it easier to make myself train intensely when the weight is heavier and I'm not doing as many reps. When I do 12 reps for an exercise I can't really tell if I'm actually going to failure or if I'm just giving up.
Also, it's more fun to lift heavier weights. I know ego shouldn't be involved in lifting, but personally I have a lot more drive to try hard when I'm lifting something heavy.

beau
02-11-2009, 01:31 PM
I used it awhile back...worked pretty well. But I prefer Dorian's style of HIT training.

red barraca
02-11-2009, 04:44 PM
for me HIT,fst-7,german volume training

Sledge
02-11-2009, 05:47 PM
I think it's awsome for a beginer to intermediate level trainer. It just has the whole plan there for you to follow. I think any beginer would get great results from using Max OT. AND it's free

red barraca
02-11-2009, 06:03 PM
the thing is that a few guys at my gym are doing this style of training,and have the shittyest form i have ever seen,and yes it is a ego thang,they think weight over form or reps.and theseguy's are cheating on all sets. the way i see it this training build's strength great for powerlifter's but not for a BODYBUILDER. or mabe there doing something different.MAX-OT EGO 2000.lol

Sledge
02-11-2009, 06:24 PM
the thing is that a few guys at my gym are doing this style of training,and have the shittyest form i have ever seen,and yes it is a ego thang,they think weight over form or reps.and theseguy's are cheating on all sets. the way i see it this training build's strenth great for powerlifter's but not for a BODYBUILDER. or mabe there doing something different.MAX-OT EGO 2000.lol

Yeah well the form issue is different. It just means THEY are not doing it correctly not that the system is flawed.
I think Powerlifting and other strength type exercises are very important for a bodybuilder to build and maintain that thick mature base.

I can't remember who said it but I agree with the statement.
"A bodybuilder that can't lift heavy is a fake."

red barraca
02-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Yeah well the form issue is different. It just means THEY are not doing it correctly not that the system is flawed.
I think Powerlifting and other strength type exercises are very important for a bodybuilder to build and maintain that thick mature base.

I can't remember who said it but I agree with the statement.
"A bodybuilder that can't lift heavy is a fake."

yes i agree i also do heavy powerlifting movement's ,squats deadlift bench press,ect.i do every thing heavy as hell with good rep's and control.my reps never fall below 6.so don't get it mix up that i do light weight

red barraca
02-11-2009, 06:48 PM
and there about 6-7 people asking they need to change there training sytem's.and i ask them what's wrong?they tell max-ot is'nt working for them anymore,and go on and tell about fst-7 training the've tried for a month and they loveit,telling iam glad you told about this

ironman0370
02-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Agree with Sledge.......Max-OT, when done correctly, is a very good routine for novice and intermediate trainees, IMO. I used it way back, and it does indeed work, if done correctly.

The principles are sound (progressive overload, complete rest/recuperation periods, longer rest periods for greater strength, etc.) and the science is there to back it up.

To me, the principles are very similar to Dorian's HIT approach (I think the book is called blood, sweat, and tears......it's at work, and I haven't read it but just once when I bought it), so I think it is a good idea to rotate higher reps (at least 12 reps), isolation type movements (8-10 weeks) with lower rep, heavier weight to failure movements (4-6 weeks) in order to get the best of both worlds (hitting all fibers optimally).

As Sledge already stated, I believe those that fail w/Max-OT do it for a few reasons.......(1) That type of workout just isn't suited to their muscle make-up (predominantly slower-twitch fibers, lower overall fiber count, etc., (2) They don't follow the principles EXACTLY and use too much cheating (as opposed to controlled cheating), and use MAX-OT as a reason to lift as heavy as possible, with terrible form, not contracting muscles fully, etc., (3) again, along the lines of not following the rules, not taking a complete week off when prescribed, thus over-taxing their CNS and not recuperating, resulting in over-training, and finally (4) not eating and or sleeping properly, negatively affecting recuperation which is paramount for this type of training.

Overall, I believe it holds value, and if done strategically and properly, is a smart add to anyone's training.

jst

red barraca
02-11-2009, 08:26 PM
thank you ironman for clearing this up,my friend chad.j does this training and he does it right,he's a monster of a man,squat's 850lbs bench's 700lbs deadlift's 700-800lbs,i asked him with some lift's help,and he's very nice all around good guy,then he say's let's compete,he think's i will place in a powerlifting meet, and iam like wow,the meet is in 3days.wish me luck.red

red barraca
02-12-2009, 10:42 AM
bodybuilding..101....FORM AND TECHNIQUE.NUMBER1,THE WEIGHT WILL ALWAY'S BE SECOND.

orhochris
02-12-2009, 12:22 PM
jeff willet's (poster boy for AST and Max-ot) a freak for being natural... but its too low rep for my taste.

militantmuscle
02-12-2009, 12:33 PM
If each individual muscle group is predominantly composed of Type IIc fiber than it would probably be a good workout routine, but what if your quads are primarily Type I? The 'heavy weight, low reps' tactic wouldn't be the best option.

cro0sh
02-12-2009, 08:58 PM
If each individual muscle group is predominantly composed of Type IIc fiber than it would probably be a good workout routine, but what if your quads are primarily Type I? The 'heavy weight, low reps' tactic wouldn't be the best option.

Just because you do higher reps doesn't mean fast twitch fibers aren't being recruited

Muscle fibers are recruited in order from:

slow -> interm > fast

red barraca
02-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Just because you do higher reps doesn't mean fast twitch fibers aren't being recruited

Muscle fibers are recruited in order from:

slow -> interm > fast

thank god a bodybuilder came hear,bottom line max -ot is'nt for bodybuilder's,a good friend of mine said it's alot harder to lift good weight 8-12 time's verse,2-5reps,he.said it's easy to power lift,he's competed in both bodybuilding and powerlifting.so he know's both world's.my gym has the best of the best powerlifter's,one is a world record holder,ted holt.

cro0sh
02-12-2009, 09:40 PM
thank god a bodybuilder came hear,bottom line max -ot is'nt for bodybuilder's,a good friend of mine said it's alot harder to lift good weight 8-12 time's verse,2-5reps,he.said it's easy to power lift,he's competed in both bodybuilding and powerlifting.so he know's both world's.my gym has the best of the best powerlifter's,one is a world record holder,ted holt.

hey man its a good program for those that can recover from it. You need to hit up 4-6 reps and possibly even lower to keep progressing. Its not like you can chill at 8-12 your whole life. Lower reps get you stronger faster, therefore being able to hypertrophy better (6-12 reps).

Who has the bigger chest, the guy who benchs 135 or the guy who benchs 405? Strength is important.

red barraca
02-12-2009, 09:57 PM
hey man its a good program for those that can recover from it. You need to hit up 4-6 reps and possibly even lower to keep progressing. Its not like you can chill at 8-12 your whole life. Lower reps get you stronger faster, therefore being able to hypertrophy better (6-12 reps).

Who has the bigger chest, the guy who benchs 135 or the guy who benchs 405? Strength is important.

they don't ask you ''how much you can bench when your on stage,strength is important,i have no problem there.being a fat ass at 4-6 rep's,or ripped and big,405 been there done it 3x

red barraca
02-12-2009, 10:01 PM
the weight is irrelevant,iam a bodybuilder,the ego lifting don't work for me.

DOIT
02-13-2009, 12:10 AM
When I quit competing in powerlifting I actually used this as my gateway program into bodybuilding and I loved it. I have since added more volume and I am doing my own thing but if you eat enough sleep enough and lift heavy a$$ weight you will grow.

cro0sh
02-13-2009, 12:50 AM
they don't ask you ''how much you can bench when your on stage,strength is important,i have no problem there.being a fat ass at 4-6 rep's,or ripped and big,405 been there done it 3x

lol so now you think 4-6 reps makes you fat?

:D

Maybe you should check out Jrod's training, and take a look at him.

Better yet, look at all the top natural bodybuilders. Do they bench 185? do they deadlift 200?

news flash: you can lift heavy and have good form at the same time. OMG!

red barraca
02-13-2009, 01:11 AM

Better yet, look at all the top natural bodybuilders. Do they bench 185? do they deadlift 200?

i don't give a fuck bout jrod's training.you are truly a dumb shit that can't read to save your life.news flash.lift heavy with good rep's fucking dumb shit,will win over someone that want's to ego lift,2fucking rep's,you are pathetic,stupid shit bag.

red barraca
02-13-2009, 01:15 AM

i could have you banned,you disgrace to bodybuilder's yes i can do this you lame ass fuck.

cro0sh
02-13-2009, 01:27 AM
i could have you banned,you disgrace to bodybuilder's yes i can do this you lame ass fuck.

you couldn't have shit banned, be honest with yourself

u mad? your really childish and immature.

perhaps when you get over yourself we can have an intelligent conversation

oh, and you know Dave? the owner of this site? Guess how he trains? Hard and heavy.

and im not saying its the only way, but you can't just say that that type of training doesnt build muscle, it damn well does.

ohz noz dont get me banned!

red barraca
02-13-2009, 01:29 AM
fat power lifting wanbe need not apply.

cro0sh
02-13-2009, 01:35 AM
just because you lift in a certain rep range does not make you a powerlifter, nor does it make you fat.

you know that ronnie guy? coleman? yeah he used to be a powerlifter. and hes soo fat

just one example, can give more left and right

i think I proved my point but your too narrow minded and .. well you have much to learn

red barraca
02-13-2009, 01:37 AM
you couldn't have shit banned, be honest with yourself

u mad? your really childish and immature.

perhaps when you get over yourself we can have an intelligent conversation

oh, and you know Dave? the owner of this site? Guess how he trains? Hard and heavy.

and im not saying its the only way, but you can't just say that that type of training doesnt build muscle, it damn well does.

ohz noz dont get me banned!

you don't know bout me dave and john,put pic's up...you internet badass come on please.let me guess 5 foot 6inch.gnome.

red barraca
02-13-2009, 01:41 AM
dave belive's form and technique number one weight second,

cro0sh
02-13-2009, 01:43 AM
dave belive's form and technique number one weight second,

and guess what.. I bet hes not afraid to lift heavy and does it regularly

I didnt say lift with bad form

are you incompetent to read? serious question, it feels like I'm arguing with a handicap

no pics, i'll take some tomorrow and pm you if you like

and if you want to talk physiques tomorrow, its funny how you achieved yours with gear :D

red barraca
02-13-2009, 01:44 AM
just because you lift in a certain rep range does not make you a powerlifter, nor does it make you fat.

you know that ronnie guy? coleman? yeah he used to be a powerlifter. and hes soo fat

just one example, can give more left and right

i think I proved my point but your too narrow minded and .. well you have much to learn

used be a powerlifter,ronnie,not now 10-12 reps you fucking douche,do some reading,you internet bad ass

cro0sh
02-13-2009, 01:47 AM
your hopeless

I'm going to stop wasting my time now

/point.and.laugh

red barraca
02-13-2009, 01:51 AM
and guess what.. I bet hes not afraid to lift heavy and does it regularly

I didnt say lift with bad form

are you incompetent to read? serious question, it feels like I'm arguing with a handicap

no pics, i'll take some tomorrow and pm you if you like

and if you want to talk physiques tomorrow, its funny how you achieved yours with gear :D

i bet...fat ass powerlifting gnome,thinks one sided of thing's.thinks what ever you think is the best for everone,iam a bodybuilder don't give a fuck about you,just like in your high school year's

cro0sh
02-13-2009, 02:03 AM
i bet...fat ass powerlifting gnome,thinks one sided of thing's.thinks what ever you think is the best for everone,iam a bodybuilder don't give a fuck about you,just like in your high school year's

Again, I think your challenged.. read my posts rather then be a dumbass

red barraca
02-13-2009, 03:03 AM
bodybuilding is different than powerlifting.

BABOON
02-13-2009, 02:07 PM
red barraca, far as I can see, you started this argument, nobody is getting banned here, and you don't have any sway on this forum to make it happen.

Don't start problems outside the Pit.

red barraca
02-13-2009, 02:33 PM
red barraca, far as I can see, you started this argument, nobody is getting banned here, and you don't have any sway on this forum to make it happen.

Don't start problems outside the Pit.

100% just havin some fun stiring the pot...gotcha leave

Koubs
02-13-2009, 04:36 PM
In reference to the original question: I like Max-OT training... I do modify it slightly NOW compared to when I used to follow it very strictly...

I don't stay 'religiously' in the 4-6 rep range, I will go up to 8 on some exercises... By no means is Max-OT a "powerlifting program" though... FORM is always #1 importance... then FROM THERE you try to either increase weight or reps each week... Now, I also do an "A" and "B" workout so that I alternate my workouts on an every other week basis... I change exercises when I'm no longer making improvements...

And maybe it's just me, but I get a GREAT pump lifting in this rep range, lower volume routine... I like tracking my progress and trying to beat numbers from previous workouts... It keeps the intensity very high... Good form is always number 1 tho

red barraca
02-13-2009, 04:50 PM
In reference to the original question: I like Max-OT training... I do modify it slightly NOW compared to when I used to follow it very strictly...

I don't stay 'religiously' in the 4-6 rep range, I will go up to 8 on some exercises... By no means is Max-OT a "powerlifting program" though... FORM is always #1 importance... then FROM THERE you try to either increase weight or reps each week... Now, I also do an "A" and "B" workout so that I alternate my workouts on an every other week basis... I change exercises when I'm no longer making improvements...

And maybe it's just me, but I get a GREAT pump lifting in this rep range, lower volume routine... I like tracking my progress and trying to beat numbers from previous workouts... It keeps the intensity very high... Good form is always number 1 tho

thank you very much for the post brotha,seem's the people at my gym just not doing this right,and who iam to say otherwise,keeping a open mind,thanks

KEVDIESEL
02-19-2009, 07:50 AM
Different rep ranges and styles for different people, some things work for you some things don't. Max-OT may do wonders for one and shit for the other. It's a matter of opinion try it out and see how you respond but don't discard a system because an individual claims that it sucks and don't claim it to be the best because an individual claims it to be the holy grail of training systems. From my own experience it was pretty effective but that being said everyone on the thread makes pretty valid points.

Curt James
04-02-2009, 09:32 PM
i never really belived in it,low rep heavy weight shit,yes if your a powerlifter this style of training would work very well.

I like Skip La Cour's radio program. The bodybuilding one. I've never listened to his "Manformation" one because I could give a sh!t about alpha male crap. I don't care if you get the squat rack first. I don't care if you get a drink at the water fountain first if we both get there at the same time. That's just low self esteem nonsense, imo.

Anyway, Max OT seems great. So do the other programs you mentioned, though. I believe consistency is the key regardless of what program you choose.

Form is important, but so is getting stronger. The progressive in progressive weight training, right? Probably not a bad idea to change things up over the years. Take a shot at all the different programs, but give ample time (what, 8 to 12 weeks?) to see what works best for you.

:beerbang:

And where's your training journal, red barraca?

thank you very much for the post brotha,seem's the people at my gym just not doing this right,and who iam to say otherwise,keeping a open mind,thanks

I'd say that's almost more important than consistency.