PDA

View Full Version : delts

crazyndn
10-20-2010, 06:19 PM
What's the best way to work your delts

miamibodybuilder
01-11-2011, 11:51 PM
by lifting weights!! just kidding man, well you need to hit all 3 heads in one workout but i also hit the rears on back day also to improve on them more. i usually start off with a pressing movement with either barbell presses or smith presses, then move on to a DB side raise, then a front raise with either a bar or a DB, then another press with either DB's or a hammer strength machine, then finish off with rears on the pec dec. i always change up my rep ranges for delts, going as low as 8 and as high as 15 depending on the exercise. try some of those exercises and see what works for you. remember to always focus on form instead of weight. good luck

cjcove
01-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Barbell shoulder press
Side lateral raises
Reverse dumbbell fly

Will hit you entire shoulder and you'll also work some of your shoulder with bench press

Big_P
01-17-2011, 11:15 PM
Lots of pressing man, barbell, smith machine, dumbells, behind the neck, use em all... that and barbell upright rows are best IMO.

daft205
01-18-2011, 12:13 AM
Lots of pressing man, barbell, smith machine, dumbells, behind the neck, use em all... that and barbell upright rows are best IMO.

^this^ lots of pressing, uprights, plenty of lateral delt detail work, shrugs, and reverse flys.

jnickels
01-18-2011, 05:31 PM

Lot's of pressing, YES! Behind the neck, for me personally, NO. One shoulder surgery was enough and the extreme rotation ,in behind the neck press, of your shoulders can make your shoulder quite vulnerable, just something to keep in mind. By all means try it, but be careful with your shoulder. Don't forget Arnold presses, those seem to be forgotten a lot, i love finishing off a shoulder day with them.

Big_P
01-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Lot's of pressing, YES! Behind the neck, for me personally, NO. One shoulder surgery was enough and the extreme rotation ,in behind the neck press, of your shoulders can make your shoulder quite vulnerable, just something to keep in mind. By all means try it, but be careful with your shoulder. Don't forget Arnold presses, those seem to be forgotten a lot, i love finishing off a shoulder day with them.

I agree to a point, I badly injured my rotator cuff before doing behind the neck... the trick is IMO- only use smith machine and go light on them after some pre-exhausting, also... lets call them behind the HEAD presses, not behind the neck... I for one dont have the flexibility to bring a barbell down that far and press it with any weight worth talking about on it.

jnickels
01-19-2011, 12:00 PM
I agree to a point, I badly injured my rotator cuff before doing behind the neck... the trick is IMO- only use smith machine and go light on them after some pre-exhausting, also... lets call them behind the HEAD presses, not behind the neck... I for one dont have the flexibility to bring a barbell down that far and press it with any weight worth talking about on it.

I didn't either but i still tried!! maybe that's why i needed surgery. :) Maybe i'll give the lighter behind the HEAD presses a whirl next shoulder day...

miamibodybuilder
01-19-2011, 10:54 PM
well it's pretty simple man, the delt is a 3 headed monster, you got the front, middle and rear delt. so you're definitely going to want to hit every angle in the workout. i usually begin with a pressing movement, then my db side raises, then front raises, another press, then my rears. i usually switch between barbells and dumbbells for all my exercises and my rep ranges also fluctuate alot. i go with how i feel and how i want to make the muscle work.