PDA

View Full Version : BodyFat caliper, which is best?

caribeman
10-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Tell me your opinion on the best BF caliper you've used. Looking for one.

axioma
10-21-2010, 11:09 AM
I have always used Skindex digital calipers.

caribeman
10-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Pricey....

s2h
10-21-2010, 11:27 AM
i dont think it really matters to much on the brand..as long as they work...calipers are somewhat accurate...its a great tool to use to track progression....not a true BF%...

KevinCouch
10-21-2010, 11:47 AM
There are inexpensive calipers and expensive machines..The best bodyfat tracking tool is the mirror IMO.

Rick Prince
10-21-2010, 01:11 PM
We do a 9 point (Parrillo) skinfold test using SlimGuide calipers.

Parrillo Body Stat Kit (http://www.parrillo.com/productdetail.asp?id=74) $39.95

The mirror is great if you can be objective. We record check and record the stats weekly during contest prep & compare the numbers to see if we need to adjust the diet and/or cardio. We look at the total of the 9 measurements more so than than the actual BF%.

Little Stocky
10-21-2010, 01:17 PM
I personally use http://www.linear-software.com/online.html it works great.

Baldiewonkanobi
10-21-2010, 01:56 PM
If I am being a wiseass I will go stand in the corner and take a 'time out'.

I have never seen a judge measure a competitors body fat with a hand held device.

Baldie

caribeman
10-21-2010, 03:01 PM

I have never seen a judge measure a competitors body fat with a hand held device.

Baldie

Its for personal use..

Rick Prince
10-21-2010, 08:43 PM

Baldie

Baldie you are correct and the judges don't have the competitors step on a scale as they walk on or off the stage.
The body composition test gives us an indication if our diet and cardio is effective. If our weight changes from one week to the next, the body composition test tells us how much of the weight change was fat and how much was lean mass. We may then adjust the amount of cardio, protein, and/or carbs accordingly. We don't give a shit about the percentage. That is just a number people beat their chest with. We monitor and adjust based on the 9 total skinfold measures from week to week.

s2h
10-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Baldie you are correct and the judges don't have the competitors step on a scale as they walk on or off the stage.
The body composition test gives us an indication if our diet and cardio is effective. If our weight changes from one week to the next, the body composition test tells us how much of the weight change was fat and how much was lean mass. We may then adjust the amount of cardio, protein, and/or carbs accordingly. We don't give a shit about the percentage. That is just a number people beat their chest with. We monitor and adjust based on the 9 total skinfold measures from week to week.spot on rick...