PDA

View Full Version : Help with form Squat/Deadlift

Diabetic Muscle
11-07-2010, 03:23 PM
So first week in gear went pretty well all things considered. Pretty loose pair of Metal Ace Briefs. Plan to work lower each week on box squats then see what I can free squat. Deadlift I just switched to sumo to see if I could get more out of the briefs but I might go back to conventional as my numbers have gone downhill bad. Any help would be great.

Ua_vrB6IrKk

rinse
11-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Knees out!!!

Diabetic Muscle
11-07-2010, 07:51 PM
lol DAMN IT!!! I really thought I had them pushed out. Is it bad on every set?

old man dave
11-07-2010, 08:12 PM
DM i am not an equipped lifter but i can give you a little help.
1st lower your pins on the squat rack. You should have alot of room between the bar and the rack on lift off. Set the bar at the bottom of your chest. This will allow you to get under the bar better with the bar lower on your back. When the bar is lower you can get your chest up and belly full of air allowing you to get a better arch in your back.
2nd most sumo lifters spread their feet almost as wide as the inside of the plates. On a sumo dead always remember to sit back off the bar not leaning over.
You appear to be a damn hard worker and that will make you a great lifter. Big heart plus big desire equals big numbers.

Diabetic Muscle
11-07-2010, 08:19 PM
DM i am not an equipped lifter but i can give you a little help.
1st lower your pins on the squat rack. You should have alot of room between the bar and the rack on lift off. Set the bar at the bottom of your chest. This will allow you to get under the bar better with the bar lower on your back. When the bar is lower you can get your chest up and belly full of air allowing you to get a better arch in your back.
2nd most sumo lifters spread their feet almost as wide as the inside of the plates. On a sumo dead always remember to sit back off the bar not leaning over.
You appear to be a damn hard worker and that will make you a great lifter. Big heart plus big desire equals big numbers.
Thanks, I see what you mean about starting with the bar lower. I have some shoulder flexibility issues that I am working on to get the bar in a better position.
I would have been better off getting outside of the rack to do my deadlifts. I keep trying to set up like I'm pulling conventional, haha its not working very well. I appreciate the help, its always a learning process.

crashcrew56
11-07-2010, 09:44 PM
I would say ditto with what was already said. Push knees out more on squats, sit back on sumo deadlifts. I wouldn't do deadlifts inside of that rack though, it restricts your foot position, I am not saying to push your stance out as wide as possible, but you might feel a little stronger with your feet a little wider apart. With the sumo stance you kinda need to play with your foot placement a little bit, amd see where you are the strongest at. You need to sink your hips further on the sumo, when you are wearing gear you want to drop down into position and rip the bar off the floor right away, if you hold your position at the bottom for too long than you are just wearing yourself out. Also keep those arms looked out, you shouldn't be pulling wth them.

When I pull, my steps go like this.
1) walk to the bar and get stance
2) take a breath and grip it and take a deep breath and blow it out
3) take another deep breath, drop my hips, and pull it

When you are wearing gear the longer you are a the bar the more energy you are wasting, I have found its best to get in and get out.

Diabetic Muscle
11-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Did my knees fold in on any of those sets or just not out wide enough? I agree I was probably too narrow on the deads, I'll get out of the rack next week and sink those hips deeper.

tjoe
11-08-2010, 06:01 AM
I have no experience in gear so I may be off on this one but:

I don't see the point of the high box. I use the same aerobic steps as in the vid and if I do box squats I use 4 spacers plus the step. I know you said you plan to go lower every week but I would rather see you get that thing low right out of the gate with lighter weight and then add weight every week.

2 reasons off the top of my head:
1 - nothing will get you used to going low like "going low"
2 - MUCH greater transfer to your deads.

Diabetic Muscle
11-08-2010, 10:07 AM
TJoe a lot of it is to get used to the suits rebound. I tried squatting free the first time in them and I couldn't get 315 or 365 down because I was fighting the suit. So mostly its just to build my comfort level in the gear.

rinse
11-08-2010, 11:31 AM
You should push your knees out hard during the whole lift. This is something you should focus on alot. If you have problem with getting them your hips may be tight so check that out and start stretching if you need to. We can't really give you a lot of tips on your squat now since you use such a high box. You form might be totally diffrent when you get down to depth. But really focus on the knees for now and when you lower your box.

Diabetic Muscle
11-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Thanks rinse, I do have an issue with how far my hips will open up. I'll work to a deeper depth and see how it looks then.

tjoe
11-08-2010, 03:03 PM
agree with rinse.
"spread the floor" is a good technique to learn.
you push your feet out to the sides of your shoes as if trying to "spread the floor". this helps engage the hips and keeps those knees out. I had that in my head a LOT when I was squatting heavy.