PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Addiction same as Alcoholism???

figurehopefull
11-12-2010, 10:59 AM
So I was wondering why everytime I eat sugar, the next day all I can think about is more sugar. I happened across this article and it made loads of since. SO this weekend I am locking myself in the house and I am not eating ANYTHING with any kind of sugar in it!! I figure if I can break the evil cycle, and vow to not eat it anymore, I wont want it anymore. I dont drink and I dont smoke, so I should be able to not eat sugar ever again. Anyone else ever had any problems with sugar addiction???

This article is not so much about why you should stop eating white, refined sugar, but more of how you can stop eating it. It is an addiction, your body will withdrawal, it will be harder than you thought it was, and yes you will feel great (http://www.ehow.com/how_4685628_stop-eating-sugar.html#) afterward. It will be like being a recovering alcoholic or smoker, one candy bar will make you sick, you will like it and you will be back in the sugar lifestyle. But if you have made up your mind that this is something important to you that you want to do, then this is how you do it.

1. You need to decide to what extent you want to remove sugar (http://www.ehow.com/how_4685628_stop-eating-sugar.html#) from your diet. If you remove all sugar it will, after a few days, stop the cravings. If you choose to keep eating some sugar like fruit juice and dried fruit you will still better your health (http://www.ehow.com/health/) because you're eliminating refined sugar, but you will still have the cravings for sugar.

2. Remove all sugar from your house, everything. Go to the store and buy meals enough for 3 days. Do not go back to the store once you have bought your weekend of groceries. You will want to go sugar free on the weekend because there will be no temptation around. It's a good idea not to go anywhere where you will have the opportunity to buy any sugar. Stay away from the mall, friends houses etc...

3. Day one might be easy. Day two will be anything but easy. You will find yourself going through all the cupboards looking for any kind of sweet that you can find. I hope you got rid of the hot chocolate, flavored yogurt and everything else, if not you WILL eat it. It is an addiction; you will not be able to control yourself.

4. Day three will be easier but don't think that you're off the hook yet. One slip up and you'll have to start all over. Keep eating (http://www.ehow.com/how_4685628_stop-eating-sugar.html#) healthy. Keep drinking lots of water. If you have trouble drinking lots of water then drink some green tea. You can drink a flavored tea but please don't slip up and add sugar to it. If you have decided to completely stop eating all sugar you will notice that after a few weeks if you have a sip of fruit juice you will think it's too sweet.

5. Fruit is a really good thing to eat of course. Try to eat it as a dessert, the protein you ate for dinner will digest the sugar faster. Stay away from super sugary fruit like oranges and bananas. Instead eat berries, peaches, pears, grapefruit, apples, cantaloupe, kiwi, lemon and lime

sassy69
11-12-2010, 06:57 PM
I think the difference w/ booze is that you still need to eat, and you can substitute real food for shit food. it might take a little to get rid of the urge for it, but once you purge that shit from your body, the 'addiction' stops. IMO its also a bit of a mental thing in that many people associate food w/ "reward" or "mood fix". In my own experience, I've had much better luck dealing w/ "urges" by removing the association of food w/ reward, particularly in things like post-show 'reward'. To me its more about enjoying a great steak dinner w/ friends than what shit I can shove down my throat. Its also the association that seriously 'lean' always feels better than any shitloading will ever taste.

mr_panda
12-16-2010, 08:25 AM
I stop with sugar several years ago, half a year ago I got rid of salt too! thats a hardcore drug also! xD I feel great, really calm and I love to eat, everything tastes delicious. Also Im quite big and fit for eating fruit, vegetables, beans and funghi mainly, so is a good thing if you detox from sugar, although you will no be able to buy anything in a can from the supermarket, or prepared!, its a small price for freedom. xD
I have to correct you in one aspect though, fruit is completly OK, any type of fruit, it will give you no cravings, it will just help you, eating sugar that is inside food doesnt matter at all, I used to think that in the beggining too, but orange juice is highly recommended for detox and bananas are great, they are full of Potasium that will level up the salt that you eat and help you release liquids, forget about its sugar contents, it has nothing to do with the quemically isoleted drug form.

Good luck stopping and dont forget to intake HUGE amounts of nutrients through food and drink many herbs / fruit juice while you do it to minimize withdrawls. Welcome to a very exclusive club! .D

edit: forgot!, eat your fruit at the beggining of your meal since it will take less time diggesting so it doesnt pile up on top of other less easy to digest food and it start to ferment producing uncomfortable gas xD

love2btoned
12-17-2010, 06:18 PM
About a year and a half ago I wasn't feeling well for a long time and one of my close friends that trains more than I did suggested that I quit sugar. It seemed easy enough. On the 5th day I crashed completely and slept until 7pm. After that, I woke up every day not feeling hung over (I don't really even drink) I woke up without hitting snooze, revitalized and invigorated. I had cut out all sugars including fruit and remained that way for 4 months as I clearly had a problem. I slowly started eating them in small doses and have been able to keep it to a minimum ever since. I feel much better, more energy, strength and stamina when I train and any stomach issues or allergies I had are virtually gone. I highly recommend trying it even if it's temporary.

ass clown
12-18-2010, 01:28 AM
What would one eat day in day out if quitting sugar, it seems as if it's in everything. Just curious as to what a daily menu would look like, thanks

Youngguns
12-18-2010, 08:53 AM
I stop with sugar several years ago, half a year ago I got rid of salt too! thats a hardcore drug also! xD I feel great, really calm and I love to eat, everything tastes delicious. Also Im quite big and fit for eating fruit, vegetables, beans and funghi mainly, so is a good thing if you detox from sugar, although you will no be able to buy anything in a can from the supermarket, or prepared!, its a small price for freedom. xD
I have to correct you in one aspect though, fruit is completly OK, any type of fruit, it will give you no cravings, it will just help you, eating sugar that is inside food doesnt matter at all, I used to think that in the beggining too, but orange juice is highly recommended for detox and bananas are great, they are full of Potasium that will level up the salt that you eat and help you release liquids, forget about its sugar contents, it has nothing to do with the quemically isoleted drug form.

Good luck stopping and dont forget to intake HUGE amounts of nutrients through food and drink many herbs / fruit juice while you do it to minimize withdrawls. Welcome to a very exclusive club! .D

edit: forgot!, eat your fruit at the beggining of your meal since it will take less time diggesting so it doesnt pile up on top of other less easy to digest food and it start to ferment producing uncomfortable gas xDThis is opinion based and just plain wrong, you sound like one of those people with really strong opinions based on no factual knowledge.

What would one eat day in day out if quitting sugar, it seems as if it's in everything. Just curious as to what a daily menu would look like, thanks
Any lean meat, veggies, complex carbohydrates, fruit (blueberries, apples, pears, strawberries, raspberries, black berries) nuts, seeds.

mr_panda
12-18-2010, 10:21 AM
>This is opinion based and just plain wrong, you sound like one of those people with really strong opinions based on no factual knowledge.

Well, what I say is based on personal experience of course, my proof is how I feel and how I look after applying what I believe in. xD
I think that a food that has sugar is surrunded by nutrients and as it descomposes and absorbs it takes a long time therefore it will give you energy slowly and will not make you fat, more of the contrary, if will help you not crave more energy all the time. Is this a fact? I dont know, but it works for me well. Also I feel much stronger mentally and phisically when I eat a lot of good foods, is this feeling wrong? Is the way that I look also wrong? If i continued the way I was eating before I would be a fat bastard right now eating cake in the middle of the night and going on an emotional rollercoster, that might not be a fact but its what I think xD

I dont drink alcohol, I dont smoke and I dont eat quemical sugar or salt, I dont think any doctor will disagree that this is much healthier lifestyle although being in complete apathy like normally people are when I tell them this xDDD

cheers! xD

(I was just trying to help out people to quit sugar with my own experience) xD

> What would one eat day in day out if quitting sugar, it seems as if it's in everything. Just curious as to what a daily menu would look like, thanks

What youngguns sugguested is ok, you can eat anything that you like that comes from the soil. Nuts and seeds are great too! .D

If i had to quit sugar again the first day I will drink 3 cups of fresh orange juice when I woke up and some raw cashew nuts. Every time you feel hunger you can eat some nuts until lunch time or drink some raw virgin olive oil. At lunch time you could eat some vegetable pure with 20 or more vegetables inside, you can eat more orange juice in the afternoon after you are done digesting or any other piece of fruit that you like, for dinner you can have some beans, fried funghi with green paprika and maybe a soup to start off that you had left of from the pure from lunch. Wait unleast 3 hours before going to sleep so dinner goes down properly, you can instead of water during the day you can drink herbal infusions using: Camomile, passion flower, hops, St.Johns worth.. At night if you have trouble sleeping you can place in your gums a little before hitting your bed some valerian root and tilus, will be absobly absorbed without using your stomach too much. I hope it helps, I dont know about the facts but It works wonders for me! .D

Cheers!

LookImDancinCrazy!
12-23-2010, 12:45 PM
there is some clinical evidence to support the idea that sugar (and anything that very rapidly raises blood glucose) can have an addictive effect on the brain. Sugar seems to activate both the opiod and dopamine receptors in the brain. That's definitely gonna make you feel good, and make your brain want more of that stuff.

love2btoned
01-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Ass Clown-yes, sugar is in 'everything', even stuff you wouldn't think it was in. My diet literally consisted of eggs and pre-made meals that I heated up at work or at home. It consisted of brown rice, tuna, cheese and brussel sprouts or green beans or brown rice, baked chicken, cheese, and asparagus or broccoli. Sometimes substituting meat for turkey and maybe not cheese. I would also drink protein shakes a couple times a day to switch it up.